Top Five All-time greatest kutcheris

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
annamalai

Post by annamalai »

2> MDR/Chalakudi/Neyveli Narayanan
Main items: Kedaram (Ananda Natana Prakasam with neraval in Sangitha Vadya Vinoda taandava jaata..) and an elaborate RTP in Sankarabharanam. However, the highlight of the concert was a spellbinding viruttam (Sugriva mitram paramam pavithram) in Saveri, Naatakuranji and Purvikalyani followed by the best rendition of Satre Vilagi irum Pillaai I have ever heard (without exception).

I think the mridangist is a great vidwan of yester-era - SVS Narayanan - known for his swaralaghu. It can be noticed in that concert. Neyveli Narayanan would have been too young.

Anyway, a brilliant concert of MDR - could not agree with you more on Satru Vilagiye - PoorviKalyani - the best rendition of this in my view also. His Paripalaya Paripalaya following Satru Vilagiye is out of the world - MDR is the king of Reetigowla !

On another note, other than PMI, PSP, CSM, there were several great mridangists of yesterera like - SVS Narayanan, Karaikudi Muthu Iyer, ...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Hey, I listed an MDR concert! And I can think of at least 10 other concerts of his that I listen to frequently. Is this MDR/Chalakudi/SVS Narayanan concert available on the public domain? I haven't heard this one.

Oh, and that MDR-LGJ-VR concert is magnificent. What a kIravANi.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

The SSI/MSG/VR concert, bala747 makes a mention of is a great one from start to finish. SSI in great form. For the final round of swarams in pantuvarali, MSG gets one Mmmmm......, one Bale and at the end wah re wah, podu from SSI! MSG also plays a great reetigowlai. A must listen concert.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

I think that is the same concert (SKGS 1974 I think) where SSI says "Acha!" after a brilliant kiravani thanam passage by MSG sir.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Its SKGS 1960 - a commercial release. Enduku Peddala main and Keeravani RTP.

Sathej

shanks

Post by shanks »

The SSI/MSG concert has C S Murugabhoopati for mridangam and someone on kanjira - VR is mistaken identity. It is also believed that it is a concert that took place in Kerela.
The slokam section particularly the Hamsanandi and Sindhubhairavi by both of them are out of the world.

Shankar

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Svaapana wrote:I heard a recording of TNS (may be floating around somewhere!). He starts with karaharapriya alapana for a full 57 minutes followed by Chakkaniraja and this piece alone goes on for 2 hrs and 53 minutes.
Wow, that's impressive! TNS does have amazing stamina. Is this recording available in the public domain somewhere?
Are there any other 'extra long' renderings of kritis? I have heard an MDR one of 'Nannu Palimpa' in Mohanam where his alapanam itself is close to 45 mins. Great stuff.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

R-T, is this MDR nannu pAlimpa available online?

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

bilahari, here is link to MDR nannupalimpa but I dont think alapana is that long.

http://sangeethamshare.org/hariharan/MD ... ohanam.mp3

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thanks, gmohan. I'd heard this nannu pAlimpa before. Exceptional indeed.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Bilahari, don't know if it's available in the public domain. I heard it from a private collection.

shreyas

Re: Top Five All-time greatest kutcheris

Post by shreyas »

TMK's concert at MITHAS in 2005 (which I missed but bought the CD recording of, later) with a brilliant
Brovavamma in Manji, Suryamurthe opener, and Gajavadana in Thodi.
I really wanted to get this, and I even sent them a mail. However, they denied my request saying that buying it from outside India will impinge on the sale of the artists' music. Honestly, I find no rhyme or reason in that logic. Your description makes me feel annoyed for not having been able to get it....
:D

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

What a Lovely thread. There is no way it will stop before Rahul Gandhi's son becomes the PM.

I would imagine that for me the best concerts in CM in recorded history would have to have (in no specific order)
KVN
SSI
MMI
GNB
MSS
LGJ
TNK
TC
PMI
PSP
UKS
PRR
Mali
MDR
SB
TMK (yes!)
AR (yes yes!)
And of course BMK!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

And if anyone thinks this is misogyny or MCP kind of list, sorry.

I would imagine that in the past 25 years, women have attracted more listeners to CM.

musi

Post by musi »

I am a fairly new to listening to concerts and have listened to probably 150-200 concerts only in my lifetime.
1. Ranjani gayatri concert in 2018 at BGS where they sang sankarabharanam, purvi kalyani and a chatur kala RTP in Kalyanavasantham

2. Amrutha Venkatesh in Madrasana 2018 where she sang a brilliant Mokshamu Galada and Nalinakanthi

3. Ranjani Gayatri - BGS Ka Shanmukha album (Someone recommended me to listen to this and I bought it and have atleast watched this a 100 times since) https://gumroad.com/l/kashanmukain I nowadays sing the kalpana swarams with them when i watch it

4. Bombay Sisters - sometime in 1999 (was too young then but I remember they singing a RTP in Kambhoji)

5. I would say TN Seshagopalan - bharat kalachar -2007 (He sang a pallavi in Kapi if I recall) but since someone just commented on mysogyny, I would go for

Ranjani Gayatri in cleveland where they sang a RTP in Saraswathi Lalitha and Durga.. [edit:- removed the rtp vide link as it was unlisted in youtube]