Top Five All-time greatest kutcheris

Miscellaneous topics on Carnatic music
vijay

Post by vijay »

ragam-talam wrote:We have had various lists of late...favourite ragas, least favorite ones, gana raga favorites etc

2) TK Rangachari - MSG - Raghu(?) - year/venue unknown
Kambodhi varnam - Vadera daivamu - Paramathmudu (Vagadheeswari) - Tatva meruga (garudadhwani) - Todi RTP
-- TKR is at his best! the Vagadheeswari is a classic
http://sangeethamshare.org/hariharan/TK ... ATHA-IYER/
The album information says that it is a Music Academy concert. The identity of the raga is estabslished only just into the 5th minute (about 4.04) as was pointe out in the forum sometime back...I can just picture the scene!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

bilahari wrote:Ragam-talam, is the SSI Shanmugapriya I linked the one you were referring to as well?
Yes, thank you for providing that pointer!

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

sankirnam wrote:BTW ragam-talam, the mrudangist in the TKR concert you mentioned is Thanjavur Upendran sir, it is a music academy concert from the 60's
Thanks for the clarification. And do you know who the violinist is? My doco says MSG.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

bilahari wrote:2. TNK MC UKS
This has got to be one of the most magical concerts I've ever listened to. The bilahari, Ananda bhairavi, and kAmbOji are all magnificent. Was listening to this concert in the hospital after my tonsillectomy and I NEARLY forgot my pain (and that the nurses had once again forgotten to give me my painkillers)... No longer on Sangeethapriya (people who'd like these concerts can approach me privately; they are not commercial)
TNK and MC?? You mean TN Krishnan and M Chandrasekharan playing violin?
That must be a unique concert indeed!
I would be very interested in this one for sure.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

TNK and MC have played quite a few violin duet concerts together.

Sathej

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

@ Everyone

If you search for "TNK-MC" on sangeethamshare.org, you find some of their violin duet recordings.
Last edited by srikant1987 on 22 Mar 2009, 16:19, edited 1 time in total.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

The TNK-MC concert that bilahari mentioned is unique not only for being a violin duet with MC and UKS, but it is also a double mrudangam concert with UKS sir and Upendran sir.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Wow, totally missed the double mrudangam on that one! Unfortunately the thani is not recorded in the concert (though the percussion accompaniment for the entire concert is just sublime).

Srikant, the concert has disappeared from Sangeethapriya.
Last edited by bilahari on 22 Mar 2009, 21:44, edited 1 time in total.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Just today I searched for it: on sangeethamSHARE.org

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Ah, I haven't checked for it recently. It was gone a few months ago when the webmaster said the uploader had decided to withdraw all his uploads. That folder also has the famous SSI-MSS-KSN private concert. Anyway, the link for those interested: http://sangeethamshare.org/asokan/CARNA ... UKS-TU-26/

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Thanks for the link.
Sangeethamshare seems to be verrry slow... it takes forever to download.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

sankirnam wrote:5. Voleti - LGJ - Sankaran Academy 1978. One of the few concerts available of the great master Voleti Shri Venkateswarulu... his voice is amazing - just so resonant and bright in this concert. LGJ himself says "sabaash" or "bale" not once, but several times throughout the concert - need I say more? Each piece in this concert is a gem - but special mention must go to the Kalyani RTP. In that, he sings certain parts of the swaram with a Hindustani touch, bringing out a Yaman feel - but then when he jumps back to the carnatic mode with the sampurna scale, the effect is riveting... thus LGJ says sabaash twice at that moment.
Wow, sounds very interesting.
Wonder if this is available in the public domain or with a forum member that they would be willing to share...

SangithaRasika

Post by SangithaRasika »

coolkarni wrote: Concert Duration : 2h 53mThanjavur S Kalyanaraman-Lalgudi G Jayaraman-Umayalpuram K Sivaraman
If not I can upload links later.
Coolji, I could not get this on Sangeethapriya ... Can you please upload this concert sometime ?

Thanks,
~SR

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

Not sure if these were mentioned earlier...

Ariyakudi 1964 marriage concert with Dinamani Vamsha, Saraguna Palimpa, and other favourites...

SSI@Perambur Sangeeta Sabha, '66 (mindblowing Hariharaputram followed immediately by Rtp Kedaragoula)

SSI concert with a stunning Paramathmudu in Vagadeeshwari, don't know the year
(this also has a brilliant Sarasiruhasana in Nattai and a rare Vamsavati)

Brindamma's "Live in Concert" CD released by Carnatica, with a mindblowing Kanada (Sukhi Evvaro)
and Purvi Kalyani.

GNB Kalldialurichi concert with Balagopala, Kalayami, Atana, Rtp Shanmukhapriya: cracker of a concert.

More recent/live concerts:

An unforgettable 5 hour concert by TNS at MITHAS in Boston, with Rtp Hameer Kalyani.

TMK's concert at MITHAS in 2005 (which I missed but bought the CD recording of, later) with a brilliant
Brovavamma in Manji, Suryamurthe opener, and Gajavadana in Thodi.

A mind blowing live concert by Shri RK Srikantan at the Chinmaya mission in Andover, MA with a
SSI-ish Marubalka, Kaddanuvariki, Lambodaram Avalambe and a lovely Sahana.

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

arvindt wrote:Not sure if these were mentioned earlier...

Ariyakudi 1964 marriage concert with Dinamani Vamsha, Saraguna Palimpa, and other favourites...
This concert was recently uploaded in Sangeethapriya! =)

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

MMI-Lalgudi- Palani - Starts with Mohanam varnam, Thaya Yashoda with outstandign neraval with Lalgudi is inspired form, RTP Kambodhi - Parimala rangapathe. Palani is awesome form.

GNB-Chowdiah-Palani - AIR broadcast. Brocheva in Khamas, I've never heard a better rendition if this song. Again Palani plays as only he can.

SSI-TNK-Mani Iyer - My recording starts with Amba Kamakshi and thani by PMI. Fantastic RTP in Shanmugapriya.

Emani Shankara Shatri-MSG-? - Jamshedpur. The Karakarapriya and Mohanam [Rama Ninnu Nammina]. Amazing.

KSG-MC-Dorai[?] - Mohana Kalyani RTP

Heard Live

1. NSG-VVS-UKS - Mudra one raga one krithi - Akshayalingavibho - Shankarabaranam
2. MSS - Swaralaya Puraskaram award concert

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

MaheshS wrote:KSG-MC-Dorai[?] - Mohana Kalyani RTP
Mahesh, do you have more details of this concert?

MaheshS

Post by MaheshS »

All my list says is Seshadripuram, Bangalore. Balagopala Bhairavi and RTP in Mohana Kalyani. That's it.

I just guessed the accompaniments, could be wrong.

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Let me share some of the best recordings of the past masters that I have heard and enjoyed numerous times! In my opinion the concerts of those masters were always great and each one of them had its own legend.

1. The GNB/MSG/CSM/MNP 1958 concert with

Ramakatha Sudha with Thani Avarthanam by CSM and Natesa Pillai (naadha mayam!!), Sudhamayi, Sri Rama Ramani Manohara (Mohanam), Nannubrova ra (bhairavam), RTP Nattakurinji (with 4 rounds of alapana by GNB before getting into thanam and what a reply from MSG!.....) - Koniyada tharama in thisragathi as Pallavi, Himagiri thanaye, Sloka - Kalaambodhara in Hamsanandhi, the hindustani raga founded by Late BGA khan for GNB (I forgot the raga name), Ahiri and Durga, Dharmasravana and Mangalam... I must have heard this concert atleast a dozen times but never felt like giving it up.

2. Alathur Brothers, Lalgudi, Mani Iyer

Nattaikurinji Varnam, Endhuku nirdaya (Great alapana by Shri Subbu! In my opinion Shri DKJ and Alathur Subbu were outstanding in Harikambhoji renditions) with nereval in Dharalo....., Sama (by Shri Srinivasa Iyer, a bhava laden exposition of this raga) followed by Shanthamulekha with Thani Avarthanam by the immortal Mani Iyer, RTP in Shanmukhapriya, paniyinvinruli, mukthi alithithidum moolasthaanarai kandu... (one of the best renditions i have ever heard), Chandrasekhara, Hindolam Thillana, Thiruppugazh in Surutti (Thiruverakam - swami malai padhigam).

3. MMI / MSG / Palghat Mani Iyer, 1965, Shanmukhananda sabha, concert no.2

Vallabha, Angarakam (with swaras in Surutti), Palukavemina (poornachandrika), Inthaparaamugam edhu (poorvi kalyani with alapana, neraval and swaras), Manavyala (Excellent alapana and swaras!), Koluvaiyunnade, thani avarthanam by Mani Iyer, Shri kamalambam (with alapana in sahana), Aandavane unai nambinen (with alapana and swaras), Sukhi Evaro (with alapana and swaras), Vinanaasakoniyunnaanuraa (prathapavarali), RTP Kalyani (Kaanakkidaikkumo Sabesan Darisanam, raga malika in kedaragaula... and this recording gets cut abruptly after this!!..) one of the best concerts and this apparently is the second day concert of the famous THODI RTP (Geeta cassettes) concert which was on the previous day at the same venue.

4. A Vibrant Semmangudi Concert, TNK, Mani Iyer (must be late 50s or early 60s)

Vathapi, Thyagarajayoga vaibhavam, shri kaanthani, chakkaniraja (what a karaharapriya!), janani ninnuvina.. (with swaras), saaketha nikethana (he renders this krithi's pallavi and asks for mani iyer to give "arudhi", for which mani iyer starts a "pharan" which he concludes at the end of anupallavi as if to satisfy's semmangudi's arudhi request... with a thunderous sabhaaash! from semmangudi, he goes on singing swaras for this kannada krithi with ease), shri subramanyaya namasthe kambhoji and thukkadas. one of the best recordings that i have heard of vintage semmangudi.

5. Ramanathapuram Krishnan, M.Chandrasekharan, Umayalpuram Sivaraman and Guru Shri Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer
Palukavemina, paralokha bhaya, bhuvindasudane, sivasivayena, sanatana, akshayalinga vibho, kanugonu sowkyamu, naamakusumamula with an excellent thani by UKS and veteran shri Rajappa iyer, ninnadanela, RTP Bhairavi (dharavidhalita kuvalayaladhala neela), Slokam - raakachandra samaanakanthi vadanaam, govardhana giridhari, parulannamaata, mangalam. One of the best recordings and a memorable concert!

The Live ones!

Shri TVS in 1982 at West Mambalam Srinivasa mandiram, Ramanavami with Nagai Murali and Bhakta... I still remember that Charukesi he rendered with a great nereval in Chaduvulanni followed by swaras with (ga ma gaa gaaa... ga ma paaa ma gaaa ri ga saa ri gaaa!). I could listen to old Mamis and Mamas suddenly getting into nostalgia about his guru Madurai Mani Iyer. They said it is Mani IYer's marumaan who is singing and the concert went on till 11 in the night!

Shri DKJ's concert in 1991 at Music Academy, where I could sit behind the stage in the dias along with many of his disciples. What a lovely concert it was!. Begada (Nive raa kuladhanamu), Renukaadevi samrakshithoham (kannada bangala), kambhoji (Shri Raghuvara Aprameya), Kamakshi (Saveri), with Tani avartanam by TKM and Harisankar. after the concert Shri DKJ asked if shri Harishankar has a hand made of rubber and patted him for such a great thani. He also went on to say that Harisankar was a student of Murugaboopathi . Veteran TKM was full of energy while playing for Maamayura meedileri vaa. The concert concluded unusually (at Music Academy) late as there were many requests from rasikas like mahadeva siva sambho etc. No body could think that DKJ would be no more the very next month after the concert. Incidentally it was his Sangeetha Kalanidhi Concert! I remember that concert was video graphed and relayed in DD also. My father, who was a close friend of DKJ during his last years, used to say that he could find DKJ merging with the Sahithya of Mahadeva Shiva Sambho and Renukaa Devi Samrakshithoham while rendering them, no wonder the almighty took him soon into His foray!

I remember one concert at Krishnagana Sabha (in early 80s) of Shri TVS with Trichy Sankaran where he sang an alapana of Hamsanadham followed by Mantra balam which still linger in my ears, particularly the naadham of Shri Trichy Shankaran to whom i became a die hard fan and attended the 25th December Mylapore fine arts concert of U Shrinivas just to hear his Thani Avarthanam, almost every year for 10 years!

All Nedanuri's Academy concerts since 1991. One of his Bhairavi alapana is standing out in my memory, that he rendered at Mylapore Fine Arts in early 1990s.

Only upon hearing these maestros I understood how many concerts I would have missed in 1980s and 1990s particularly that of Nedunuri, KVN, DKJ, Maharajapuram, MLV, TSK, TMT, Semmangudi, MS and DKP who were still giving lots of concerts.

I could just vaguely remember attending an MLV concert at the Academy where the power went off for sometime, while she continued singing without Mike. Also that of Madurai Somu with Madras A.Kannan's accompaniment at they Ayodhya mantapam where i could not gain an entry into the main pandal due to heavy rush. I distinctly remember a concert of Flute Mali at the Krishna Gana Sabha where he came much earlier than scheduled time and spent sometime with the secretaries and also had a conversation with my guru Shri Kumbakonam Rajappa Iyer. We as the students of KGS were allowed to listen to that concert. I do not remember the songs as I had no interest in Flute concerts at that age of 7 or 8.

I remember a concert where my first mridangam guru Shri Palghat Kunjumani accompanied Smt. DKP at a temple (which i remember as Siva Vishnu Temple, T Nagar), I was 5 or 6 years then doing my 1st standard Schooling.

Since my grandpa was a great music lover and a musician himself (though he did not perform after 1960), we had a great ambience at home. I remember many radio concerts of Shri MMI in particular where my grandpa use to listen and weep remembering his good old friendship days with the maestro. He used narrate of lots of incidents about those great period (1930s & 1940s).

Let me end my memoirs here :).

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:
3. MMI / MSG / Palghat Mani Iyer, 1965, Shanmukhananda sabha, concert no.2
I do have a decent collection of MMI concerts. But, I have not heard this one. Is it on the web ?

Several MMI concerts are top and it is difficult to pick the best - His Sangeetha Kalanidhi 1959 concert, MMI / Rajamanickam Pillai/ Murugabhoopathi - Suki Evaro and Nangavarmm concert -MMI/TSI/PSP - swaras for Niinnvina (Navarasakannada) is mind blowing.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

VISHNURAMPRASAD wrote:...
Let me end my memoirs here :).
Great post. I have saved in my favorites folder.
Please share more of your memoirs; they are wonderful.
Thank you.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

VRP,
Great Post , you have taken your time and recollected post . Just curious is your top 5 of the legends ranked 1 to 5 , or is it unranked top 5 .

VISHNURAMPRASAD

Post by VISHNURAMPRASAD »

Sir, Of course it is not ranked :) It was MMI who made me a rasika of Sangeetham and only through his music and his life, I was able to enjoy the other stalwarts and could understand their greatness. For 60 days when I was spending my holidays at Madurai (1985) at my Aunt's place, I heard only one recording of MMI repeatedly! The one released by AVM with Sadhaananda Thandavam and RTP Kalyani (what an extempore rendition with panchama, shadja varjya prayogams yet the flavour of Kalyani did not change an iota!).

bala747

Post by bala747 »

So many concerts mentioned and none of MDR? And I thought this was a music forum.. tsk.. makes me question if any of you know good music when you hear it! (just kidding folks)

1> MDR/LGJ/VR
Main items were Bilahari (Paridana Michithe), Keeravani (Kaligiyunte gada with neraval in Iru Padamula Bhaktijesina Rithi Thyagarajuni Ippudu) and a spectacular Begada RTP.

2> MDR/Chalakudi/Neyveli Narayanan
Main items: Kedaram (Ananda Natana Prakasam with neraval in Sangitha Vadya Vinoda taandava jaata..) and an elaborate RTP in Sankarabharanam. However, the highlight of the concert was a spellbinding viruttam (Sugriva mitram paramam pavithram) in Saveri, Naatakuranji and Purvikalyani followed by the best rendition of Satre Vilagi irum Pillaai I have ever heard (without exception).

3> SSI/MSG/VR
Main items: Panthuvarali (Sarasaksha Paripalaya of the Maharaja, with neraval at Bhaamini samudaya shaya mohana Padmanabha Kamalaadhara Nivara). This rendition of Panthuvarali, including the neraval was so great that it even eclipsed the mighty Sankarabharanam (Endukku Pettala) that was to follow. RTP in Keeravani was in Misra Triputa (Anandapurnabhogam Sivogam Sacchidananda..) The viruttams were spectacular as usual.

4> Madurai Somu/MC/CSM I think
Main Item: Koluvamaragatha - Thodi (this was well past the 2 1/2 -3 hour mark and MC was late for his train, but he stayed and played, delivering a picture perfect thodi in response to Somu's grand effort)

5> Semmangudi/TNK/unknown
Main Item: Manava Janma - Purvi Kalyani
Ragam Thanam Pallavi - Sankarabharanam - Adi (2 cycles)

Svaapana

Post by Svaapana »

I heard a recording of TNS (may be floating around somewhere!). He starts with karaharapriya alapana for a full 57 minutes followed by Chakkaniraja and this piece alone goes on for 2 hrs and 53 minutes. TNS then talkes about the kutchery format before the trinity. Needless to say that the Karaharapriya is simply mind-boggling.
However, the best concert I ever heard was by Karukurichi Arunachalam in the Tamil isai sangam. The concert was fully relayed by AIR Madras from 9.30 pm to 2.40am. Thodi RTP for over 2 hours was breathtaking.

annamalai

Post by annamalai »

2> MDR/Chalakudi/Neyveli Narayanan
Main items: Kedaram (Ananda Natana Prakasam with neraval in Sangitha Vadya Vinoda taandava jaata..) and an elaborate RTP in Sankarabharanam. However, the highlight of the concert was a spellbinding viruttam (Sugriva mitram paramam pavithram) in Saveri, Naatakuranji and Purvikalyani followed by the best rendition of Satre Vilagi irum Pillaai I have ever heard (without exception).

I think the mridangist is a great vidwan of yester-era - SVS Narayanan - known for his swaralaghu. It can be noticed in that concert. Neyveli Narayanan would have been too young.

Anyway, a brilliant concert of MDR - could not agree with you more on Satru Vilagiye - PoorviKalyani - the best rendition of this in my view also. His Paripalaya Paripalaya following Satru Vilagiye is out of the world - MDR is the king of Reetigowla !

On another note, other than PMI, PSP, CSM, there were several great mridangists of yesterera like - SVS Narayanan, Karaikudi Muthu Iyer, ...

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Hey, I listed an MDR concert! And I can think of at least 10 other concerts of his that I listen to frequently. Is this MDR/Chalakudi/SVS Narayanan concert available on the public domain? I haven't heard this one.

Oh, and that MDR-LGJ-VR concert is magnificent. What a kIravANi.

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

The SSI/MSG/VR concert, bala747 makes a mention of is a great one from start to finish. SSI in great form. For the final round of swarams in pantuvarali, MSG gets one Mmmmm......, one Bale and at the end wah re wah, podu from SSI! MSG also plays a great reetigowlai. A must listen concert.

sankirnam

Post by sankirnam »

I think that is the same concert (SKGS 1974 I think) where SSI says "Acha!" after a brilliant kiravani thanam passage by MSG sir.

Sathej

Post by Sathej »

Its SKGS 1960 - a commercial release. Enduku Peddala main and Keeravani RTP.

Sathej

shanks

Post by shanks »

The SSI/MSG concert has C S Murugabhoopati for mridangam and someone on kanjira - VR is mistaken identity. It is also believed that it is a concert that took place in Kerela.
The slokam section particularly the Hamsanandi and Sindhubhairavi by both of them are out of the world.

Shankar

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Svaapana wrote:I heard a recording of TNS (may be floating around somewhere!). He starts with karaharapriya alapana for a full 57 minutes followed by Chakkaniraja and this piece alone goes on for 2 hrs and 53 minutes.
Wow, that's impressive! TNS does have amazing stamina. Is this recording available in the public domain somewhere?
Are there any other 'extra long' renderings of kritis? I have heard an MDR one of 'Nannu Palimpa' in Mohanam where his alapanam itself is close to 45 mins. Great stuff.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

R-T, is this MDR nannu pAlimpa available online?

gmohan

Post by gmohan »

bilahari, here is link to MDR nannupalimpa but I dont think alapana is that long.

http://sangeethamshare.org/hariharan/MD ... ohanam.mp3

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Thanks, gmohan. I'd heard this nannu pAlimpa before. Exceptional indeed.

ragam-talam

Post by ragam-talam »

Bilahari, don't know if it's available in the public domain. I heard it from a private collection.

shreyas

Re: Top Five All-time greatest kutcheris

Post by shreyas »

TMK's concert at MITHAS in 2005 (which I missed but bought the CD recording of, later) with a brilliant
Brovavamma in Manji, Suryamurthe opener, and Gajavadana in Thodi.
I really wanted to get this, and I even sent them a mail. However, they denied my request saying that buying it from outside India will impinge on the sale of the artists' music. Honestly, I find no rhyme or reason in that logic. Your description makes me feel annoyed for not having been able to get it....
:D

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

What a Lovely thread. There is no way it will stop before Rahul Gandhi's son becomes the PM.

I would imagine that for me the best concerts in CM in recorded history would have to have (in no specific order)
KVN
SSI
MMI
GNB
MSS
LGJ
TNK
TC
PMI
PSP
UKS
PRR
Mali
MDR
SB
TMK (yes!)
AR (yes yes!)
And of course BMK!

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

And if anyone thinks this is misogyny or MCP kind of list, sorry.

I would imagine that in the past 25 years, women have attracted more listeners to CM.

musi

Post by musi »

I am a fairly new to listening to concerts and have listened to probably 150-200 concerts only in my lifetime.
1. Ranjani gayatri concert in 2018 at BGS where they sang sankarabharanam, purvi kalyani and a chatur kala RTP in Kalyanavasantham

2. Amrutha Venkatesh in Madrasana 2018 where she sang a brilliant Mokshamu Galada and Nalinakanthi

3. Ranjani Gayatri - BGS Ka Shanmukha album (Someone recommended me to listen to this and I bought it and have atleast watched this a 100 times since) https://gumroad.com/l/kashanmukain I nowadays sing the kalpana swarams with them when i watch it

4. Bombay Sisters - sometime in 1999 (was too young then but I remember they singing a RTP in Kambhoji)

5. I would say TN Seshagopalan - bharat kalachar -2007 (He sang a pallavi in Kapi if I recall) but since someone just commented on mysogyny, I would go for

Ranjani Gayatri in cleveland where they sang a RTP in Saraswathi Lalitha and Durga.. [edit:- removed the rtp vide link as it was unlisted in youtube]