Dreams in mythology &scientific explanations

History, religion and culture
satyabalu

Dreams in mythology &scientific explanations

Post by satyabalu »

*We come across a lot of references of dream as a harbinger of good to come or alarm for downfall-e.g Dream of Trijada in Ramayana ...Andal stating "kana kanden thozhinai",In the life of Purandara dasa,goddess lakshmi appearing in the sleep of MD 's wife...
*God coming in the dreams of Bhaktha.
*Let the elite forum list out instances&take this thread to a better level of approach on this subject.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Dreams in mythology &scientific explanations

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Satyabalu, This is probably not what you are looking for given the bhakti context but since you mentioned scientific aspects, I thought I will put this in.

For me, it is the opposite of late. Audio from real life gets into my dream. The amusing thing is how cleverly the audio gets neatly incorporated. The most common occurrence is, if my radio switches on in the morning and I do not wake up, any conversation there gets into my dream occasionally. Fascinatingly, the insertion into the dream is quite elaborate and dramatic. One such 'clever' instance is: In my dream, I am supposed to have participated in a discussion about minority religion's roles and contributions in America. Someone said they recorded it and played it for me. I was quite impressed with what I heard.. 'Wow, I made some really strong and convincing points!!'. That is when I woke up. Much to my surprise and amusement, the same topic was going on in the radio, pretty much making the same points!

Such things have happened a few times after that in different dream contexts ( all mostly nonsensical contexts ) with equally creative incorporation of live audio! Quite fascinating at what all the brain does during our so-called sleep!!

satyabalu

Re: Dreams in mythology &scientific explanations

Post by satyabalu »

* shall we call it as virtual merger of dream with reality.similiar instances we experience when we hear ringing of bell in the dream to make you get up to realise there is in fact a bell ringing in reality.
*When I was young sleeping in my mother's lap travelling in a car in the night I was supposed to have got up suddenly to alert the driver there was a big pit on the road warranting a diversion-averting a major mishap-was it due to one's karma?Just to share this relevant message.