Nandikeshwarar

History, religion and culture
satyabalu

Nandikeshwarar

Post by satyabalu »

Hindukkalin Prasad
நந்தி
தானும் நந்தியும் வேறல்ல, ஒருவரே என்று சிவபெருமான் நந்தி புராணத்தில் கூறுகிறார். நந்தியைத் தொழுவது சிவபெருமானைத் தொழுவதே ஆகும். `நந்தி' என்ற சொல்லுக்கு ஆனந்தமாக இருப்பவன் என்று பொருள். பிறரை ஆனந்தப்படுத்துபவன் என்றும் பொருள் கொள்ளலாம். `நந்தி' என்ற வார்த்தையுடன் `ஆ' சேரும்போது `ஆநந்தி' என்ற பொருள் தருகிறது.

`நீயும் ஆனந்தமாக இரு, பிறரையும் ஆனந்தமாக வைத்திரு! என்று சிவபெருமான் நந்திக்கு அளித்த வரம் அது. ஆக, நந்தியம் பெருமான் தன்னை வணங்குபவர்க்கு ஆனந்தத்தைத் தருபவர் ஆவார். நந்தியைத் தொழாமல் சிவபெருமானைத் தொழ முடியாது. ஆலயத்தில் நந்தியை மட்டுமே தொழுதுவிட்டு திரும்பி விட்டால் கூட சிவபெருமானை வணங்கியதன் முழுபலனும் கிட்டும்.

சிவபெருமான் இடத்தில் இருந்து சிவாகமங்களைத் தெளிந்து நமக்கு அருளினார் நந்திதேவர். ஆதலால் சைவ சமயத்திற்கு முதல் குருவாக விளங்குகிறார். நந்திக்கு `அதிகாரநந்தி' என்ற பெயரும் உண்டு. இந்த பிரபஞ்சத்தின் நாயகனான சிவபெருமான் நந்திக்கு அத்தனை அதிகாரங்களையும் வழங்கியுள்ளார்.

ஆலயங்களை காவல் காக்கும் அதிகாரமும் நந்திக்கே உரியது. இதன் அடையாளமாகத்தான் கோவில்களில் சுற்று சுவர்களில் நந்தியின் உருவை அமைத்துள்ளார். நந்திதேவர் சித்தர்கள், முனிவர்க்கெல்லாம் முதல் குருவாக விளங்குகிறார். சிவ, சக்தி இருவர் முன்னிலையிலும் இருப்பவர் நந்திதேவர், சிவபெருமானின் முக்கண்ணின் பார்வைக்கு எதிரில் நிற்க நந்திதேவரைத் தவிர வேறு யாராலும் இயலாது.

இது சிவபெருமானே நந்தி தேவருக்கு அளித்த வரமாகும். நந்திதேவரின் உத்தரவு பெற்ற பின்பே, சிவபெருமானின் ஆலயத்தினுள் நாம் பிரவேசிக்க வேண்டும் என்கிறது வேதம். இதன் காரணத்தை பசவ புராணம் கூறுகிறது. சிவபெருமான் ஒரு தடவை நாரதரிடம் நான் விரைவில் பூலோகம் செல்வேன்.

தர்மத்தைக் காத்து மீண்டும் சைவம் தழைக்கச் செய்வேன். நான் வரும் வரையில் கயிலாயத்தில் நந்தி தேவன் எனது இடத்தில் இருப்பான் என்றார். அனைவரின் முகத்திலும் ஆச்சரியம் விரிந்தது. அதைப் புரிந்து கொண்ட சிவபெருமான், நந்திதேவன் பக்தியில் என்னைப் போன்றவன். ஆதியில் அவதரித்தவன்.

நானே நந்திதேவன். நந்தி தர்மமே வடிவானவன். சிவாய நம என்ற பஞ்சாட்ச மந்திரத்தின் உருவகம் நந்தி தேவனே. எப்போதும் என்னைச் சுமந்து நிற்கும் நந்திதேவன் எனக்கு ஈடாகத் திகழ்பவன்.

நந்திதேவனை வழிபடுபவர்களுக்குச் சிறந்த பக்தியும், நற்குணங்களுடைய குழந்தைச், செல்வங்களும், சகல காரிய சித்தியும் உயர்ந்த பதவிகளும், நல்ல எண்ணங்களும், நல்லொழுக்கமும் கிடைக்கும். எல்லாவற்றிற்கும் மேலாக முக்தியெனும் வீடுபேற்றையும் அவர்கள் அடைவர் என்று நந்திதேவரின் பெருமைகளை எடுத்துக் கூறினார்

சிவபெருமான். சிவபெருமான் தனக்கு இணையாக நந்திதேவரைக் கூறி உள்ளதால் சிவபெருமானை வழிபடுவதற்கு முன் நந்தி தேவரை வணங்க வேண்டும். அதனால், தன்னை வணங்குபவருக்கு மட்டுமல்ல, நந்திதேவரை வணங்கியவருக்கும் மோட்ச சுகத்தையும் மக்கட் பேற்றையும், பக்தியையும், ஊக்கத்தையும், காரிய சித்தியையும், எல்லா வரங்களையும் அளித்து வருகிறார் சிவபெருமான். *.Curious to know about slokas Kritis in praise of Him or mention made in kritis .?

arasi

Re: Nandikeshwarar

Post by arasi »

Yes!

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

I do not know Sanskrit but I give below 2 slokas I was taught when I was a kid
Vande vrishaba devaya sitha Varna swaroopine
Dheekshna srungaaya dhungaaya vedha paadhaya nandhithe
I bow to you nandhi deva who has taken the form of a bull,tall white in color ,with sharp horns whose four feet are the four Vedas
2-nandhikesa mahabhaho sivadhyana parayana
Gowri sankara sevaartham anugyam dhaathu marhasi.
O nandhikeswara! Who is most blessed to be at the feet of siva immersed in sivadhyana, pl enable me to go to the sannathi of Parvathi parameswara and have their dharisanam

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

From the Classical Dictionary:
NANDI. The bull of Siva. The Vayu Purana makes him
the son of Kasyapa and Surabhi. His image, of a milky white
colour, is always conspicuous before the temples of Siva.
He is the chamberlain of $iva, chief of his personal attendants (ganas),
and carries a staff of office. He is guardian of all quadrupeds.
He is also called Salankayana, and he has the appellations of
Nadi-deha and Tandava-talika, because he accompanies with music the tandava dance of his master.

bombal

Post by bombal »

Guru Pradosham today...propitiating Lord Siva on Guru Pradosham will clear the karma that block complete blessings that come to you from your guru...

Om Namah Sivayah

any many more....memories and memories galore...sri gurubhyoh namaha

:namaste:

CRama

Post by CRama »

Bombay Balaji, Thanks for the wonderful pictures of your growing up along with the greatl legends.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Bombay Balaji
Lovely photos , if you can reedit the photos with caption text telling the occasion with year and artists that would be wonderful. I am assuming you are the kid who is playing , is TNK playing violin there, your guru palakkad raghu blessing you is priceless.By any chance is that your arangetram.

bombal

Post by bombal »

Dhanyavaadaha CRama and Rajeshnat

picture 2 L to R : Mahavidwaan Palghat Mani Iyer, my father Sri C V Narasimhan (secy Bharatiya Music and Arts Society and a tireless worker who preferred to remain in the background), my mother Smt Lalitha Narasimhan, my sister Ms. Jayashree (bharatanatyam - for her ArangEtram in 1978 Mahavidwaans Sri Palghat Mani Iyer and Smt D K Pattammal were the chief guest - this has never happened in the history) and myself in the safe hands of the doyen. place Bombay circa early 70's

picture 3 L to R : ArangEtram with Violin Maestro Prof T N Krishnan Nov 1981 Shanmukhananda mini hall (jam packed with rasikas)...evening Bharatiya music had arranged for Sri KVN's concert with Sri TNK Sri Palghat Raghu and Sri V Nagarajan - brilliant concert - kalikiyunte keeravaani main. Other seen in the picture are Veena Vidwan Sri K S Narayanaswamy, Vidyasagar (Tata Sundaresan's son and wife of Ms. Kiranaavali), Shyam - a young mridangist from BBY, Sri S Ravindran - veena artist, Dr. P N Krishnamurthy - scientist and ardent music rasika and founder of BRRS Anushaktinagar, Music Triangle BBY officials, Sri K Sivakumar - Violinist, Narayan Rangaraj, Mr Vaidyanathan music teachers son, my mothers brother, Sri L V Krishnan (son of Vichaappa - one of the gurus of Mahavidwaan sri Palghat Mani Iyer), Vidwaan Palghat Raghu, Somasekar - Tata Sundaresan's son and bro of Vidyasagar, Sri T K Sankaranarayanan - secy BRRS Anushaktinagar

picture 4 self explanatory

picture 5 receiving the award from the goddess of music Smt D K Pattammal - my parents had the opportunity to host her during their concert visits to BBY and was fortunate to have learnt certain pallavis(intricate and otherwise) from her directly. venue Shanmukhananda circa late 70's. Smt Jaya Chakraborthy (mother of Smt Hema Malini) in the background

picture 6 Learning from Trichy Raghava Iyer @ Bharatiya Music and Arts Society BBY along with other students - circa mid 70's

picture 7 concert with my vocal guru Sri Vairamangalam Lakshminarayanan sir along with Sri Mysore Nagaraj and H Sivaramakrishnan - circa 80's and venue odukkathur swamigal mutt

have learnt a lot from each of the concerts played.

:namaste:

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thank you Balaji. You are really blessed. Hope to hear you in some concert this season.

bombal

Post by bombal »

thank you CRama sir..