Cataloging our sanskrit bhakti literature

History, religion and culture
karthik76

Post by karthik76 »

Hello everybody,

We all have descended from several generations of wise and learned sages and saints who have provided us with rich sanskrit bhakti literature created, preserved, cherished and passed down through several thousands of years. The mere thought of this gives me a sAtvIka ahamkAram, even if it may be the mere fact that I am connected to this literature. I offer my gratitude to all the people who helped/help me understand, appreciate and respect it. During my effort to learn what I seek, I have often felt the dire need for a classified and organized catalog of this literature on the Internet.

I have been thinking for quite some time to dedicate some time and effort towards this idea. Obviously, this effort will be limited by the day-to-day bread-earning tasks and other personal commitments. I perceive this idea as a very labor-intensive task that can take a long time to even get to a decent shape. But the thought that this will be useful to everyone, regardless of its level of completion, encourages me towards it.

My thoughts on this subject are still premature, but here are a few things I have in mind -

1. To create a database of our achAryas, saints, sages, shrutis, smrtis, purAnAs, stOtrams, granthAs etc.
2. To facilitate viewing by author, siddhAnta, dEvata, literature type (granthAs, stOtras, bhAshyAs etc), literary highlights like chandas etc.
3. To link available resources on the internet to these literary works, and eventually, create documents and build a document storehouse of all this literature

I wish to explore this idea further and request all of you to contribute your suggestions/opinions/ideas towards this.

Thank you.

kmrasika

Post by kmrasika »

karthik76: Sanskrit documentation has been in vogue for a while now. Take a look at www.sanskritdocuments.org for quite substantial documents, links to documents, and other developments. It's be interesting to see documentation of grantha documents, which I understand are innumerable, only that very few can read the script.

karthik76

Post by karthik76 »

KM,

I use www.sanskritdocuments.org quite a lot. I can't imagine where we'd look for documents if this site were not around. Their classification seems to be at a broader level. Also, I believe a bulk of their effort is coordinated towards actually producing the documents and to a lesser extent towards the classification itself. Actually I'm counting on linking to their website for a lot of documents.

Thanks.

vasya10

Post by vasya10 »

karthik76:

im one of those who have benefitted a lot from sanskritdocuments.org; i think creating/having a database of classification is definitely worthwhile.

karthik76

Post by karthik76 »

I am starting my groundwork on this and will post something as soon as I do some work. Is there a way I can post documents or images in this forum?