Temple for heart diseade

History, religion and culture
satyabalu

Temple for heart diseade

Post by satyabalu »

"Hridayaaleeswarar Temple, Thiruninravur ( Temple for all Heart Disease)
This is a temple that is very close to my heart. If I were to name my favorite location close to Chennai, I would say Hridayaleeswarar temple without any hesitation. The history of Poosalar Nayanar, his passion and devotion to the Lord, the magnanimity of the Pallava King, all make this place extra special. The vibration that you feel when you stand in front of the Sanctum Sanctorum is very strong. So why Lord Shiva is called Hridayaaleeswara here?
Poosalar was a poor devotee of Shiva who sat under an "Iluppai" tree in Tiruninravur chanting the name of the Lord all the time. He was called Poosalar because his body was always covered with Sacred Ash (Poosudhal means to apply in Tamil). For several hours in a day, he used to sit in a trance, lost to the material world, thinking about his Lord and chanting his name. People took pity on him, and offered him food and money for survival.
Poosalar had one burning desire, which was to build a magnificient Shiva temple in Tiruninravur which did not have a Shiva temple at that time. So whenever someone offered him money for food, he would talk to them about his desire, and ask them for money to build a temple. People laughed at him. A man who did not have money to buy a square meal building a temple...that's impossible, they would say. Any amount of ridicule did not deter the spirit of Poosalar. He thought if he would not get money to build a temple, he would do so in his heart.
So he laid the foundation in his heart, and started constructing the temple for Lord Shiva. Step by step, stone by stone, he went on constructing the temple. Slowly the temple rose in shape as Poosalar desired. For several days he would go without food or water, engrossed in his construction and would sit motionless under the tree. The passers-by did not know what was happening to him, but would witness him sitting in utmost serenity, with a blissful smile on his lips. Finally, the temple was ready. Poosalar invited Lord Shiva to attend the consecration ceremony of the temple he had built in his heart.
Around the same time, the Pallava King Rajasimha was building the Kailasanatha Temple in Kanchipuram. A magnificent exhibition of Pallava architecture, and a unique temple paralleled to no other, rose up exquisitely.
The most unique feature of this shrine was the Circumambulatory path around the Shivalingam, which signifies the various stages of human life. One has to enter the path on his back, which signifies birth into this world and then turn over and crawl a while. The tunnel then widens allowing a person to stand up and then go around. This signifies childhood and adulthood. As one goes around, the tunnel starting reducing in height, whereby one has to keep stooping. This signifies maturity and old age. Finally, the exit from the tunnel is on one's stomach, hands stretched forward, which symbolizes "Saranaagathi" or final surrender to almighty and Death.
Having built such an architectural wonder, he consulted with famous astrologers of his land, and fixed the date for the consecration of his temple. That night, King Rajasimha, went to bed a satisfied man. Lord Shiva, appeared in his dream. The King was ecstatic. He prayed to the Lord and thanked him and invited him to attend the consecration. The Lord smiled and said " I cannot do so on that day, as I have already committed to my devotee Poosalar of Tiruninravur that I would attend the consecration of the temple he has built. Please choose another day and I will be there". With these words, he disappeared.
The King woke up confused and surprised. Who is this devotee who has built a temple that is more magnificent than the Kailasanatha shrine and how is his devotion better than mine that the Lord preferred to attend his consecration? The King asked all his courtiers about Poosalar's temple. None of them knew about it. So he set out to Tiruninravur. When he reached there, he asked the Brahmins whom he came across, about the temple. None of them knew of it, but they all knew Poosalar - the Sivanadiyaar who sat under the Illuppai tree. So they guided the King to him. Poosalar sat there oblivious to the whole world - his eyes closed, his heart full and his mind busy making all the arrangements for the consecration. The King waited patiently before him with folded hands waiting for him to open his eyes.
When he finally did, the King introduced himself, and asked him about the temple he had built, and expressed his desire to attend the consecration. Tears of joy rolled down the eyes of Poosalar. He could not believe that Lord Shiva had accepted the temple he had built in his heart and chosen to attend the consecration of the same, over the magnificent structure built by the King. With uncontrollable tears, he narrated the entire story.
The King stood still, listening to Poosalar. Tears rolled down his eyes, realising the nobility of Poosalar's actions, his love and devotion for the Lord that had won him recognition from none other than the Almighty.
He swore to construct the temple for Poosalar just the way he had imagined it to be. The King placed a magnificent Shiva Linga in the Sanctum Sanctorum along with an idol of Poosalar beside it, and called the Lord Hridayaaleeswara (Hridaya + Aalaya + Eswara) meaning the Lord of the Heart Temple.
There are shrines for all the 63 nayanmars in several temples, but none of them, I think are privileged to share the same Sanctum Sanctorum as the Lord. Poosalar has this unique privilege which makes the Hridayaaleeswara temple so special. Anyone visiting the shrine is able to worship the Lord and his worthy devotee together.
The temple is about 1300 years old and bears testimony to the Pallava architectural style. It is right across the street from the Bhaktavatsala Perumal Temple, which is one of the 108 Divya Desams.
The Goddess here is called Maragathambigai. She looks at you with a kind smile that melts your heart.
Goddess Maragathaambigai
Tiruninravur is about 32 kms from Chennai and is well connected by suburban train( Chennai Central - Arakkonam) and buses from the Koyambedu Bus Terminus. The temple is open between 6 and 12.30 in the morning and from 4 pm to 8.30 pm in the evenings. Hridayaleeswara temple is also said to cure persons with heart ailments if they pray with ardent devotion. So if you want to visit a temple that would melt your heart, this is the place to go!"

CRama

Re: Temple for heart diseade

Post by CRama »

Thanks Satyabalu for the wonderful write up. Gayathri Girish, in her series Myriad Forms of Siva had narrated this episode. You also must have heard this from GG. Thanks.