Vishnu as Parvati's brother

History, religion and culture
durgs

Vishnu as Parvati's brother

Post by durgs »

Hi!

Could anyone help me find the story about how Vishnu became Parvati's sister? I've also heard the story many involve the Krishna and Durga avatharams.

Thank you!

Sachi_R

Re: Vishnu as Parvati's brother

Post by Sachi_R »

Durga-ji,
Of course you mean, "how Vishnu became Parvati's brother?"

Right!?

This relationship is mentioned in many puranas. But it is more figurative than literal.

We must of course realise that Vishnu, Brahma, Shiva, and Shakti are quintessentially divine energies and birth and death and physical relationships apply basically to only humans.

There are avataaras which are manifestations of these energies in various forms for the purpose of accomplishing some transformation. Some are born as human but show superhuman qualities as avataaras. Meenakshi herself is an avataara.

The one reference where clearly the idea of brother-sister comes is when Yoga Maya is born to Nanda and Yashoda and Krishna is born to Vasudeva and Devaki. They are therefore not siblings in the strict sense(born in the same womb) but share an extended brother - sister relationship.

In the original concept, Yoga Maya is the divine shakti of Mahavishnu. She comes out of Vishnu so she can be interpreted as his other form or sister.
That shakti or Devi becomes the various female deities such as Lakshmi, Durga, Shakti etc.

As you perhaps know, Durga is herself a creation of the composite energies of Vishnu, Shiva and Brahma, and you can find the story in the Devi Bhagavata.

Here is a quote from Mahaperiyavaa:
While cognizing Ambal and Mahavishnu to be the same, adhering to the Puranas we address Her as Narayana’s sister.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Rsachi - beautifully explained. Thanks.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

🙏

durgs

Post by durgs »

Sorry, I did mean brother!

Thank you for the wonderful explanation!