Bhagavad Gita

History, religion and culture
krishnanrasika

Post by krishnanrasika »

Hariom VGV,

Shall be glad to be of help, whatever possible. Let me know how I can reach you.

Pranams
Krishnan

vasanthakokilam

Re:

Post by vasanthakokilam »

vasanthakokilam wrote:I decided to finish my document on Godel, Turing and Shankara and share it with all of you for your comments. It is still a work in progress and there is no guarantee that I have captured the nuances of Indian Philosophy correctly. I myself feel that this is orthogonal ( and rather at a meta level ) to what we are discussing here in detail.

Here is the document titled: Godel-Turing-Shankara.pdf

http://dl.dropbox.com/u/6372521/Godel-T ... ankara.pdf

This morning I had 0 slides, and then I had three slides with pictures which then expanded to 40 slides. The content has been simmering in my mind for a while.

I am looking forward to your comments. If it is going to cause a disruption to what we are discussing now, we can definitely wait to discuss my document until the current discussion comes to a logical resting point.
I was reminded of this post of mine from a few years back on Godel, Turing and Shankara when I read this article today: "self as a symbol" on the problems dealing with consciousness and the looping problem ("It is consciousness itself that is trying to explain consciousness.").

http://www.sciencenews.org/view/feature ... _as_Symbol

cmlover

Re: Bhagavad Gita

Post by cmlover »

Inspiring discussion..
Wait till Feb 25..

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

The first time Bhakti Tirtha Swami met him, in the course of their conversation, Maharaja quoted a Gita verse. Half-way thru the verse, Mandela quoted the rest of it. BT Swami was surprised.

He asked "You know the Gita?" Mandela said "Try me.

" Every Gita verse Bhakti Tirtha Maharaja knew, Nelson knew as well. Naturally, BT Swami asked "How is this?"

Read at ...

http://iskconbookdistribution.com/the-u ... avad-gita/

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

During the WW – II years J. Robert Oppenheimer was put in charge of Project Manhattan, the project of developing the Atom Bomb.

As he stood in the control room watching the the first atomic device being exploded at Los Alamos in the desert of New Mexico he quoted two verses, 12 and 32, from the 11th chapter of the Bhagavad Gita:

verse 12 "If the radiance of a thousand Suns were to burst forth in the sky, that would be like the splendor of the mighty one.” and...

verse 32 “ I am become death, the destroyer of the worlds.”

bombal

Post by bombal »

Remember the four principles of samsAra nivruththi as explained by Lord krishna in bhagavadgita..V S S V
VairAgyam - shifting from world dependence to god dependence
Sharanaagathi - total surrender to the almighty
Sathgunaa - good values and
the last one vedaanta vichaara - study of our scriptures...good day to all and lot of food for thought

:namaste:

courtesy: Listening to Gita lectures by Swami Paramarthananda

bombal

Post by bombal »

Guruvayoor ekadasi...also the day when Arjun was fortunate to be blessed by Sri Krsna paramaatma with the githoopadesham...incidentally its gods will that the day this year is also my late mother Smt Lalitha Narasimhan's date of birth ( a lady who tirelessly recited the narayananeeyam and was accepted by Him)

Muscat Chinmaya mission has organised a gita chanting session this evening(post 5.30 p.m) at the Siva temple (old Muscat), where all the 18 chapters will be recited.

ekadasi is the name of the goddess that arose from the ekaadasa indriyaa(the combined force of the 10 indriyaas along with the mind) of the Lord to defeat the demon Murdanav (Mura).

Om Namo Narayanaya...

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Wonderful reminder of a sacred moment. Thank you.

bombal

Post by bombal »

One who by comparison to his own self, looks at happiness and distress everywhere in the same manner, is a parama yogi. .. (side notes Mahavidwan Chembai bhagavathar was a very great example as mentioned by Mahavidwan Sri Palghat Mani Iyer)

"athmoupamyena sarvathra samam pashyathi yo (a)rjuna sukam vaa yadhi va dhukkam sa yogi paramo mathah."

Bible also propagates "do unto others as thou wilt be done" - we should do to others the way we want them to do to us..

..kanchi maha periyavaa.