Ramayana the different versions

History, religion and culture
Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Try malahari for fear...

mohan

Post by mohan »

I think it is the presence of the Suddha Rishabham that gives the notion of fear (as in Revati and Malahari). Interesting to note that in the movie Jaws, the notes used for when the shark appears are Sa Ri - Sa Ri ...with the Suddha Rishabham being used.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Yes Mohan, I too feel the same. Infact the malahari being scary came from a kid who knows no CM.

arunk

Post by arunk »

actually you add G1 to it, it can get scarier (i.e. s r g r s r g r s r g r).

Between malahari and revati, to me revati is more apt.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

how about this scale - i scared myself silly playing it on the online keyboard ;)

(there is a shivaranjani component - and so perhaps pathos, the P-D1-N1 is sort of like S R1 G1 and can negate it with fear)

S R2 G2 P D1 N1 S'

S' N1 D1 P G2, R2 S

I dont know if there is a raga based off it.

Arun

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

A piece in the sound track of the movie "Eyes wide shut" is pretty scary -Musica Ricercata
The swaras go M1 M2 on the key board

It also has a verse from gIta in the sound track.
Last edited by Suji Ram on 22 Feb 2007, 08:27, edited 1 time in total.

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

mohanji,
kAmavardhini is supposed to augment the kAma rasA. I'm not able get any kriti other than candana carchita of jayadEvar (tuned by SSI) in my mind with kAma/SringAra rasA.

Can somebody add some other kritis for a particular situation - kAmavardhini and SringAra rasA?

SringArarasamanjarIm (rasamanjari-rasikapriyA) is also a composition in which dIkSitar calls ambAL as one who is full of SringAra rasa (somebody please correct me if I've understood it wrong). Can rasikapriyA be taken into consideration?

I'm going purely by text book , i.e. how the trinity's chose a rAga for portraying a situation based on a rasA. If we do research, we will surely get more out the 1200 odd kritis of the trinity.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Mohan
checkout VK Raman at
http://www.geetham.net/forums/showthrea ... post333950

Also do post your svarajati (with audio/video) here for us all to enjoy when you are done!

mohan

Post by mohan »

Is there an English translation of Kamba rAmAyanam available online? If that is not available, what about a complete version in Tamil?

I have checked http://www.tamilnation.org/literature/k ... ayanam.htm and other places but haven't been successful yet.

Also, am looking for Arunachala Kavi's rAmanAtakam online.
Last edited by mohan on 08 Mar 2007, 08:54, edited 1 time in total.

mahakavi

Post by mahakavi »

Kambaramayanam is available online. You have to pay me to get access (just kidding!)
Go to www.chennainetwork.com and then click chennailibrary. Many Thamizh literature items are available online. Look for kambaramayanam in the left navigation bar.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Thanks mahakavi. Your cheque is in the (e)mail :)

Now only looking for the rAmanAtakam!
Last edited by mohan on 09 Mar 2007, 07:13, edited 1 time in total.

menka.singhvi

Re: Ramayana the different versions

Post by menka.singhvi »

The Sholka described here is about Shri Rama & 9 rasa in one Sholka.
I am searching for individual shlokas for each Rasa.. as in 9 shlokas for 9 Rasa... Can anyone help me with this please?