Inspirational messages

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
venkatakailasam

Re: Inspirational messages

Post by venkatakailasam »

Irrelevant...The purpose is only to bring out the main message..that one should "Never Give Up"

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

Irrelevant?
The full speech is inspirational!
This is a typical example of exaggeration and misquote by some unknown person!

venkatakailasam

It is OK..If people including me get inspired..any way

venkatakailasam

Beautiful story!!! ♥♥

"I saw this elderly gentleman dining by himself, with an old picture of a lady in front of him. I thought maybe I could brighten his day by talking to him.

As I had assumed, she was his wife. But I didn't expect such an interesting story. They met when they were both 17. They dated briefly, then lost contact when he went to war and her family moved. But he said he thought about her the entire war. After his return, he decided to look for her. He searched for her for 10 years and never dated anyone. People told him he was crazy, to which he replied "I am. Crazy in love". On a trip to California, he went to a barber shop. He told the barber how he had been searching for a girl for ten years. The barber went to his phone and called his daughter in. It was her! She had also been searching for him and never dated either.

He proposed immediately and they were married for 55 years before her death 5 years ago. He still celebrates her birthday and their anniversary. He takes her picture with him everywhere and kisses her goodnight.

Some inspiring things he said;

"I was a very rich man. Not with money, but with love"

"I never had a single argument with my wife, but we had lots of debates"

"People are like candles. At any moment a breeze can blow it out, so enjoy the light while you have it."

"Tell your wife that you love her everyday. And be sure to ask her, have I told you that I love you lately?"

Be sure to talk to the elderly. Especially strangers. You may think that you will brighten their day, but you may be surprised that they can actually brighten yours."

A share from dEBBIE sAPORTA..

venkatakailasam

This film should be seen by the entire world, please don't throw anything into the sea.

Unbelievable, just look at the consequences!!! — with Sunil Kariattukara.

This video is about an island in the ocean at 2000 km from any other coast line.
Nobody lives, only birds and yet ...............

You will not believe your eyes!!!!!!!

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?v=55 ... =2&theater

venkatakailasam

A graduate has been seeking for job, for
almost fifteen good years. No means to
get money. Then one day she had only
but one dollar with her, she entered in a
restaurant and bought food with that
money but just after she finished praying
for the food three people came in looking
so skinny and hungry. They asked her
for the food, she had compassion on them
and gave them the food.

They wanted to pray for her but she told
them that they need the prayer more
than her. She left them and when she
was about to leave they gave her an old
coin. She went and lay down under the
bridge to sleep, she saw newspaper and
picked it and when she was reading it,
there was an adverts about an old coin
that got lost in 1955. Anybody that brings
it was to be payed 10million dollars.

As soon as she saw it she checked the
coin and it was the same. Then she
rushed down to the address and they
confirmed it and issued her with a
cheque of 10million dollars. She rushed
back to that restaurant to see those three
men but she didn't find them.

When she asked the waiters, they gave
her a letter that the old men left behind
and she opened it, and this is what was
written:
"This is the God of the Father, the God of
Son and the God of the Holy spirit. No
man who praises God shall be left to
suffer. Him, his son and grandson's shall
live happy under the umbrella of God."
MORAL LESSON: Blessed is the hand that
gives than the hand that receive... Praise
God and your life will change...

A PRAYER FOR YOU: God will perform a
miracle in your life this week that is
bigger than you can ever imagine, a
miracle that will shoot you straight to the
top, IN JESUS NAME

NOW YOU HAVE 3 CHOICES:
1. Write in the comment box, "God
Remember Me"
2. Ignore it and pretend He never exist
3. DO NOT LET THIS INSPIRATIONAL
PAGE PASS YOU BY

Kindly remember to join my page X-tian Dela for more

TAKE ONLY THE SPIRIT BEHIND THE MESSAGE...

venkatakailasam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

..as long as he is not influenced by his parTea goading him towards enmiTea!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Venkatakailasam and cmlover,
Excellent!

venkatakailasam

The Little Boy
(Will Have to read this story with eyes blurred with tears)

Sally jumped up as soon as she saw the surgeon come out of the operating room. She said: “How is my little boy? Is he going to be all right? When can I see him?”

The surgeon said, “I’m sorry. We did all we could, but your boy didn’t make it.”

Sally said, “Why do little children get cancer? Doesn’t God care any more? Where were you, God, when my son needed you?”

The surgeon asked, “Would you like some time alone with your son? One of the nurses will be out in a few minutes, before he’s transported to the university.”

Sally asked the nurse to stay with her while she said good-bye to son. She ran her fingers lovingly through his thick red curly hair.

“Would you like a lock of his hair?” the nurse asked.

Sally nodded yes. The nurse cut a lock of the boy’s hair, put it in a plastic bag and handed it to Sally. The mother said, “It was Jimmy’s idea to donate his body to the university for study. He said it might help somebody else. “I said no at first, but Jimmy said, ‘Mom, I won’t be using it after I die. Maybe it will help some other little boy spend one more day with his Mom.” She went on, “My Jimmy had a heart of gold. Always thinking of someone else. Always wanting to help others if he could.”

Sally walked out of Children’s mercy Hospital for the last time, after spending most of the last six months there. She put the bag with Jimmy’s belongings on the seat beside her in the car. The drive home was difficult. It was even harder to enter the empty house. She carried Jimmy’s belongings, and the plastic bag with the lock of his hair to her son’s room. She started placing the model cars and other personal things back in his room exactly where he had always kept them. She laid down across his bed and, hugging his pillow, cried herself to sleep.

It was around midnight when Sally awoke. Laying beside her on the bed was a folded letter. The letter said:

“Dear Mom,

I know you’re going to miss me; but don’t think that I will ever forget you, or stop loving you, just ’cause I’m not around to say I LOVE YOU. I will always love you, Mom, even more with each day. Someday we will see each other again. Until then, if you want to adopt a little boy so you won’t be so lonely, that’s okay with me. He can have my room and old stuff to play with. But, if you decide to get a girl instead, she probably wouldn’t like the same things us boys do. You’ll have to buy her dolls and stuff girls like, you know. Don’t be sad thinking about me. This really is a neat place. Grandma and Grandpa met me as soon as I got here and showed me around some, but it will take a long time to see everything. The angels are so cool. I love to watch them fly. And, you know what? Jesus doesn’t look like any of his pictures. Yet, when I saw Him, I knew it was Him. Jesus himself took me to see GOD! And guess what, Mom? I got to sit on God’s knee and talk to Him, like I was somebody important. That’s when I told Him that I wanted to write you a letter, to tell you good-bye and everything. But I already knew that wasn’t allowed. Well, you know what Mom? God handed me some paper and His own personal pen to write you this letter. I think Gabriel is the name of the angel who is going to drop this letter off to you. God said for me to give you the answer to one of the questions you asked Him ‘Where was He when I needed him?’ “God said He was in the same place with me, as when His son Jesus was on the cross. He was right there, as He always is with all His children.

Oh, by the way, Mom, no one else can see what I’ve written except you. To everyone else this is just a blank piece of paper. Isn’t that cool? I have to give God His pen back now. He needs it to write some more names in the Book of Life. Tonight I get to sit at the table with Jesus for supper. I’m, sure the food will be great.

Oh, I almost forgot to tell you. I don’t hurt anymore. The cancer is all gone. I’m glad because I couldn’t stand that pain anymore and God couldn’t stand to see me hurt so much, either. That’s when He sent The Angel of Mercy to come get me. The Angel said I was a Special Delivery! How about that?

Signed with Love from: God, Jesus & Me.”

Author Unknown

venkatakailasam

Malvika Iyer's amazing story of grit!...

Malvika Iyer is the essence of courage and optimism.

At 13, a freak accident caused her to lose both her hands and severely damaged her legs, raising serious doubts about whether she would ever walk again.

But young Malvika braved the odds and emerged victorious. Today she is a dedicated social worker, a motivational speaker and model for accessible clothing in India.

Malvika is also a Global Shaper from the Chennai Hub, which is a part of the Global Shapers Community, an initiative of the World Economic Forum.

She gives a first person account of her ordeal and how she overcame it to S Saraswathi....

Read it at:

http://www.rediff.com/getahead/report/a ... id=fbshare

venkatakailasam

This is not a story but a true incident that happened in USA.*
An Indian man walked into a bank in New York City one day and asked for
the loan officer.

He told the loan officer that he was going to India on business for two
weeks and needed to borrow $5,000.

The bank officer told him that the bank would need some form of
security for the loan. The Indian man handed
over the keys to a new Ferrari parked on the street in front of the
bank. He produced the title and everything
checked out.

The loan officer agreed to accept the car as collateral for the loan.

The bank’s president and its officers all enjoyed a good laugh at the
Indian for using a $250,000 Ferrari as
collateral against a $5,000 loan.
An employee of the bank then drove the Ferrari into the bank’s
underground garage and parked it there.

Two weeks later, the Indian returned, repaid the $5,000 and the
interest, which came to $15.41.

The loan officer said, “Sir, we are very happy to have had your
business, and this transaction has worked out very
nicely, but we are a little puzzled. While you were away, we checked
you out and found that you are a multi
millionaire. What puzzles us is, why would you bother to borrow
“$5,000″

The Indian replied: “Where else in New York City can I park my car for
two weeks for only $15.41(IT took more than $500.00) and expect it to be there when I return'”

Ah, the brain of the Indian… This is why India is shining . . .

Pratyaksham Bala

The earliest I could trace this was to 1999 !

The story starts like this in "Severin Browne's Joke" -- for the week ending June 26, 1999 :-

"A Businessman walked into a New York City bank and asked for the loan officer... ..."

Since then, the 'businessman' has turned into 'a Chinaman', then 'a blonde' and now 'an Indian' !
And the original Rolls Royce is now a Ferrari !

venkatakailasam

Does the date and time make any difference in the substance when I read it for the first time...

Pratyaksham Bala

No, not at all !
Now, let me read once again the first line and last line of #37 !

venkatakailasam

"It's the test of fire that makes fine steel " :
Once a little boy was playing outdoors and found a fascinating caterpillar. He carefully picked it up and took it home to show his mother. He asked his mother if he could keep it, and she said he could if he would take good care of it.

The little boy got a large jar from his mother and put plants to eat, and a stick to climb on, in the jar. Every day he watched the caterpillar and brought it new plants to eat.

One day the caterpillar climbed up the stick and started acting strangely. The boy worriedly called his mother who came and understood that the caterpillar was creating a cocoon. The mother explained to the boy how the caterpillar was going to go through a metamorphosis and become a butterfly.

The little boy was thrilled to hear about the changes his caterpillar would go through. He watched every day, waiting for the butterfly to emerge. One day it happened, a small hole appeared in the cocoon and the butterfly started to struggle to come out.

At first the boy was excited, but soon he became concerned. The butterfly was struggling so hard to get out! It looked like it couldn’t break free! It looked desperate! It looked like it was making no progress!

The boy was so concerned he decided to help. He ran to get scissors, and then walked back (because he had learned not to run with scissors…). He snipped the cocoon to make the hole bigger and the butterfly quickly emerged!

As the butterfly came out the boy was surprised. It had a swollen body and small, shriveled wings. He continued to watch the butterfly expecting that, at any moment, the wings would dry out, enlarge and expand to support the swollen body. He knew that in time the body would shrink and the butterfly’s wings would expand.

But neither happened!

The butterfly spent the rest of its life crawling around with a swollen body and shriveled wings.

It never was able to fly…

As the boy tried to figure out what had gone wrong his mother took him to talk to a scientist from a local college. He learned that the butterfly was SUPPOSED to struggle. In fact, the butterfly’s struggle to push its way through the tiny opening of the cocoon pushes the fluid out of its body and into its wings. Without the struggle, the butterfly would never, ever fly. The boy’s good intentions hurt the butterfly.

As you go through school, and life, keep in mind that struggling is an important part of any growth experience. In fact, it is the struggle that causes you to develop your ability to fly.

We can learn from this boy; if he had allowed the caterpillar to suffer a little more, then it would have soared to the sky, flown from one flower to another and been appreciated by the world for its colors and beauty....

Can some body provide link to this........

venkatakailasam

Thank you Sir..

venkatakailasam

venkatakailasam

a short story with a moral, must read...
Once there was a king who received a gift of two magnificent falcons from Arabia. They were peregrine falcons, the most beautiful birds he had ever seen. He gave the precious birds to his head falconer to be trained.

Months passed and one day the head falconer informed the king that though one of the falcons was flying majestically, soaring high in the sky, the other bird had not moved from its branch since the day it had arrived.

The king summoned healers and sorcerers from all the land to tend to the falcon, but no one could make the bird fly. He presented the task to the member of his court. Having tried everything else, the king thought to himself, "May be I need someone more familiar with the countryside to understand the nature of this problem." So he cried out to his court, "Go and get a farmer."

In the morning, the king was thrilled to see the falcon soaring high above the palace gardens. He said to his court, "Bring me the doer of this miracle."

The court quickly located the farmer, who came and stood before the king. The king asked him, "How did you make the falcon fly?"

With his head bowed, the farmer said to the king, " It was very easy, your highness. I simply cut the branch where the bird was sitting."

We are all made to fly -- to realize our incredible potential as human beings. But instead of doing that, we sit on our branches, clinging to the things that are clinging to the things that are familiar to us. The possibilities are endless, but for most of us, they remain undiscovered. We conform to the familiar, the comfortable, the mundane. So for the most part, our lives are mediocre instead of exciting, thrilling and fulfilling.

So let us learn to destroy the branch of fear we cling to and free ourselves to the glory of flight.

By mail...from a friend...

Pratyaksham Bala

Post #45.
Thanks!
This inspiring write-up is part of the Introduction written by Isha Judd for her book “Why Walk When You Can Fly?”
This book is available for reading at:
http://books.google.co.in/books?id=QPpK ... ia&f=false

Pratyaksham Bala

Post #44.
This thought-provoking message, which is going around for quite some time, is wrongly attributed to Dalai Lama. The credit should actually go to Jim Brown, author of "An Inerview with God".

Please check the site dedicated to His Holiness, Tenzin Gyatso, the 14th Dalai Lama, http://en.wikiquote.org/wiki/Tenzin_Gya ... Dalai_Lama under the heading "Misattributed".

venkatakailasam

A share from a friend..

venkatakailasam

It doesn't cost a penny to smile
You don't have to pay to laugh either...
You better thank God for that..
that you have born here...
where smiles and laughs are free..
As every thing else!
even when many starve....

venkatakailasam

Opportunities in disguise :

Alexander the Great was asked : “Would you take the next city if you had the opportunity to do so?’ to which the Great Conqueror replied, “Opportunity? Why, I don’t wait for opportunities, I create opportunities.”

John Bunyan, one of the world’s greatest writers, wrote Pilgrims’ Progress, a masterpiece of English literature in prison. He did not postpone his work because his jailers refused to give him paper to write on. Instead, he sat on the bare floor and wrote on twisted, wrinkled scraps of paper which had been used to cork bottles of milk at the prison. He created an opportunity for himself.

Michael Faraday, the great scientist, was not able to get even a primary education because his family was poor and he had to go to work. He had to earn a living and even when he was a young boy, he delivered newspapers in the streets of London. Then, when he was thirteen years old, a book-binder employed him.
In the book-binding trade, Michael had access to a variety of manuscripts and books. He read as much as he could. He took this opportunity to improve his education and to gain as much knowledge as possible. During his free time he attended lectures on scientific subjects. Soon he left the book-binder and concentrated his efforts towards becoming a scientist.
He made the opportunity to do what he wanted and didn't just give excuses.

Every job on hand is an opportunity to show what we are capable of achieving. We must not lose that opportunity. Our opportunity lies in our ability to make the best of the circumstances in which we find ourselves in.Our personality and initiative are our best means to achieve success.

Opportunities are usually disguised as hard work, so most people don't recognize them.

venkatakailasam

cartoon Quotes from inspirational folks..

See and enjoy..

http://zenpencils.com/

venkatakailasam

..Let us all read to know as to how shallow is life....Let us not have any EGO..

Alexander's message to the world :
Alexander, the great, after conquering many kingdoms, was returning home. On the way, he fell ill and it took him to his death bed. With death staring him in his face, Alexander realized how his conquests, his great army, his sharp sword and all his wealth were of no consequence.

He now longed to reach home to see his mother’s face and bid her his last adieu. But, he had to accept the fact that his sinking health would not permit him to reach his distant homeland. So, the mighty conqueror lay prostrate and pale, helplessly waiting to breathe his last. He called his generals and said, “I will depart from this world soon, I have three wishes, please carry them out without fail.” With tears flowing down their cheeks, the generals agreed to abide by their king’s last wishes.
“My first desire is that,” said Alexander, “My physicians alone must carry my coffin.” After a pause, he continued, “Secondly, I desire that when my coffin is being carried to the grave, the path leading to the graveyard be strewn with gold, silver and precious stones which I have collected in my treasury.
“My third and last wish is that both my hands be kept dangling out of my coffin.”The people who had gathered there wondered at the king’s strange wishes. But no one dare bring the question to their lips.
Alexander’s favorite general kissed his hand and pressed them to his heart. “O king, we assure you that your wishes will all be fulfilled. But tell us why do you make such strange wishes?”
At this Alexander took a deep breath and said: “I would like the world to know of the three lessons I have just learnt. I want my physicians to carry my coffin because people should realize that no doctor can really cure any body. They are powerless and cannot save a person from the clutches of death. So let not people take life for granted.
The second wish of strewing gold, silver and other riches on the way to the graveyard is to tell People that not even a fraction of gold will come with me. I spent all my life earning riches but cannot take anything with me. Let people realize that it is a sheer waste of time to chase wealth.
And about my third wish of having my hands dangling out of the coffin, I wish people to know that I came empty handed into this world and empty handed I go out of this world.”
Alexander’s last words: “Bury my body, do not build any monument, keep my hands outside so that the world knows the person who won the world had nothing in his hands when dying“. Courtesy : Shyamoli Bagchi

There's a Tamil proverb : Kaadattra oosiyum vaaradukan kadaivazhikke

meaning, " Even a needle with a broken eye cannot be taken with you on your final journey." A similar feeling was experienced by Emperor Ashoka after his Kalinga victory.
Today as we are turning increasingly materialistic, let's remember this.

venkatakailasam

Uncommon Valor: The Kyle Carpenter Story
25 year-old Kyle Carpenter should not be alive today. But he is, and he wears his scars with pride. After nearly 40 surgeries and two and a half years in the hospital, he got back to fighting shape and completed the Marine Corps Marathon. This summer, Kyle became the second living Marine since the Vietnam War to receive the nation's highest military decoration -- the Medal of Honor...

Every marine is a hero but Kyle Carpenter’s story is one for the books. In November 21, 2010 Kyle was only 19-years-old when he was struck by an enemy grenade.

The injuries Kyle sustained were enough to have killed him. However, miraculously he survived! It is undeniable that God had a bigger plan for Kyle. Watch as he shares his incredible story with David Letterman...

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PRFX5qpaxwE

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SqaZoeWJ0gk

Pratyaksham Bala

venkatakailasam wrote:... There's a Tamil proverb : Kaadattra oosiyum vaaradukan kadaivazhikke ...
பட்டினத்தார்:-

வாதுற்ற திண் புயர் அண்ணாமலையார் மலர்ப் பதத்தைப்
போதுற்ற போதும் புகலும் நெஞ்சே இந்தப் பூதலத்தில்
தீதுற்ற செல்வம் என்? தேடிப் புதைத்த திரவியம் என்?
காதற்ற ஊசியும் வாராது காண் உன் கடைவழிக்கே.

venkatakailasam

This great man passed away last week....

"A few weeks ago, he was hacked down by some people."
"Oh why did they do that?"
"This is how people show their anger towards me to cause me pain. Apart being an animal welfare officer, I'm also a slaughterhouse inspector. Hence many don't like what I do."

"How did you start rescuing animals?"
"Even during the time of my school days, I used to rescue dogs who got hurt due to road accidents. I used to take care of them and find homes for them.”

“Could you share a rescue-story that has deeply impacted you?”
"Once I got a call to kill a dog. The caller said that the dog is in critical condition and it would be best to end its life rather than making it suffer the pain. I was on my way to Kochi from Thrissur that time, so I told him to wait and not to do anything with the dog. I was in touch with him throughout my drive to ensure that the dog was not killed before I reach there. Finally what I found was a piece of meat lying on the road, whimpering with pain. Someone had poured acid on it and the whole body was in a molten fused state. It had been lying there in that situation for almost two days. People around me were forcing me to kill it. I asked them would you do the same if this happened to any of you. And their reply was - who wants them anyway, it’s high time these dogs are all killed off.

I didn't bother replying to them because I knew they didn't deserve any reply. I carried the dog to my car. All the blood, flesh and pus were sticking to my shirt. I took him to Cochin Pet Hospital. The doctor was shocked to see him. He asked me what to do as he felt that there was no way the dog could be saved. I told him, you have to somehow do something or the other.

“What was the doctor’s name?”
“Dr. Sooraj. It took us four and a half hours to save him. We had to remove large amount of dirt which were sticking inside his flesh as people had thrown sand and stones at him. We had to clean all of that.”

“People had thrown sand and stones at him, even when he was lying there burnt in acid?”
“Yes, that’s how cruel the society is. We don’t have even an ounce of a feeling called compassion in our minds!“

“Oh, so how did he then recover?”
“Ricky was not able to sleep even after giving sedation. For acid attacks, the pain will not go even if you give sedatives. For five and a half months, he was not able to sit. He had to stand throughout the period. So we built an adjustable support to help him stand. With medication and proper care, Ricky became a healthy dog."

“What is the scenario of pet dogs being abandoned in Kochi?”
"We get around 15-20 calls in a day regarding pet dogs found on the streets. 60 percent of the cases are due to people abandoning them due to old-age. Remaining 40 percent is because they don't want to take care of their dogs when they get sick.”

“Could you elaborate on this?”

“Breeders are abandoning dogs on the streets after they become old and unusable to give birth. There are many people who keep dogs just to show off to their guests. It is a matter of pride for them to make others see that they own German Shepherd, Doberman and other expensive breeds of dogs. First of all, our climate is not suitable for dogs such as Pug, St. Bernard, German Shepherd. These dogs are later thrown into the streets when they grow old. People abandon their pet dogs when they get skin disease, when they get an eye infection, when they get pus in their ears or when the owners change their residence. I have got calls from many saying they have seen a pet dog roaming around nearby their area and if it would be possible for me to take it away. In many cases, these callers are actually the owners of the dogs pretending to be not connected with the dog and they want to somehow get rid of them through me.”

“Oh!”

“Being educated and being cultured are two different things. We are very high in being educated, but very low in being cultured. We have to develop a culture with a sense of responsibility to our society, with a sense of responsibility to the people living in that society, and with a sense of responsibility to the other living beings existing along with those people. Currently we do not have any of these, it’s all destroyed. Now if we want to revive these, they can only be developed through today’s children."

“So what message do you wish to convey to the society?”

"God has given us abilities - not to plunder the earth and loot people. We all have the ability to love, but we are not willing to use that. We don't want to see even when we have eyes; we don't want to hear even when we have ears. A change is needed for all this.

PS: The interviewee, Mr. Pradeep Kumar, founder of KARMMA (Karuna Animal Rescue Ministering and Management Association), passed away last week suffering from a heart attack. We pray that his loved and dear ones get the strength to move on. .

Photo credit: Deepesh PM

Via- Humans Of Kochi
Shared from Ram Sury

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Good to see you back. Hope all is well. Love and Namaskarams

venkatakailasam

THE HEDGEHOGS AND THE FOXES
(Couldn't resist sharing this from Good to Great)
In his famous essay "The Hedgehog and the Fox," Isaiah Berlin divided
the world into hedgehogs and foxes, based upon an ancient Greek parable:
"The fox knows many things, but the hedgehog knows one big
thing. The fox is a cunning creature, able to devise a myriad of complex
strategies for sneak attacks upon the hedgehog. Day in and day out, the fox circles around the hedgehog's den, waiting for the perfect moment to
pounce. Fast, sleek, beautiful, fleet of foot, and crafty-the fox looks like
the sure winner. The hedgehog, on the other hand, is a dowdier creature,
looking like a genetic mix-up between a porcupine and a small armadillo.
He waddles along, going about his simple day, searching for lunch and
taking care of his home.
The fox waits in cunning silence at the juncture in the trail. The hedgehog,
minding his own business, wanders right into the path of the fox.
"Aha, I've got you now!" thinks the fox. He leaps out, bounding across the
ground, lightning fast. The little hedgehog, sensing danger, looks up and
thinks, "Here we go again. Will he ever learn?" Rolling up into a perfect
little ball, the hedgehog becomes a sphere of sharp spikes, pointing outward in all directions. The fox, bounding toward his prey, sees the hedgehog defense and calls off the attack.
Retreating back to the forest, the fox begins to calculate a new line of attack. Each day, some version of this battle between the hedgehog and the fox takes place, and despite the greater cunning of the fox, the hedgehog always wins.
Berlin extrapolated from this little parable to divide people into two
basic groups: foxes and hedgehogs. Foxes pursue many ends,at he same time and see the complexity. They are "scattered or diffused,
moving on many levels," says Berlin, never integrating their thinking into
one overall concept or unifying vision. Hedgehogs,on the other hand,
simplify a complex world into a single organizing idea, a basic principle-or
concept that unifies and guides. everything. It doesn't matter how complex
the world, a hedgehog reduces all challenges and dilemmas to simple indeed almost simplistic-hedgehog ideas.
For a hedgehog, anything that does not somehow relate to the hedgehog idea holds no relevance.
Hedgehogs took a complex world and simplified it.
Hedgehogs are not stupid. Quite the contrary. They understand
that the essence of profound insight is simplicity. What could be more simple than e = mc2? What could be simpler than the idea of the unconscious, organized into an id, ego, and superego? What could be
more elegant than Adam Smith's pin factory and "invisible hand"? Hedgehogs see what is essential, and ignore the rest.
( Maybe this is all about generalists vs specialists?)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri VK avl,
Excellent message! thanx for sharing.
Thanjavooran
06 05 2015

venkatakailasam

REAL MANAGERS..............

A team of Managers were given an assignment to measure the height of a

flagpole.

The Managers got out to the flagpole with ladders and tapes.

They were falling off the ladders, dropping the tape measures - the whole

thing was just a mess.

An Engineer came along that way and seen what they were trying to do,

then walked

over, pulled the flagpole out of the ground, laid it flat, measured it

from end

to end, gave the measurement to one of the managers and walked away.

After the Engineer had gone, one manager turned to another, laughed and

s aid,

"See this idiot. We're looking for height and he gives the length !!!"

Moral: "No matter what good you do, your Managers always find faults in

you".

venkatakailasam

"Look at a man the way that he is, he only becomes worse. But look at him as if he were what he could be, and then he becomes what he should be." - Goethe

Mr. Washington
(by: Les Brown, A 3rd Serving of Chicken Soup for the Soul)
One day in 11th grade, I went into a classroom to wait for a friend of mine. When I went into the room, the teacher, Mr. Washington, suddenly appeared and asked me to go to the board to write something, to work something out. I told him that I couldn't do it. And he said, "Why not?"
I said, "Because I’m not one of your students."
He said, "It doesn't matter. Go to the board anyhow."
I said, "I can’t do that."
He said, "Why not?"
And I paused because I was somewhat embarrassed. I said, "Because I’m Educable Mentally Retarded."
He came from behind his desk and he looked at me and he said, "Don’t ever say that again. Someone’s opinion of you does not have to become your reality."
It was a very liberating moment for me. On one hand, I was humiliated because the other students laughed at me. They knew that I was in Special Education. But on the other hand, I was liberated because he began to bring to my attention that I did have to live within the context of what another person’s view of me was.
And so Mr. Washington became my mentor. Prior to this experience, I had failed twice in school. I was identified as Educable Mentally Retarded in the fifth grade, was put back from the fifth grade into the fourth grade, and failed again, when I was in the eighth grade. So this person made a dramatic difference in my life.
I always say that he operates in the consciousness of Goethe, who said, "Look at a man the way that he is, he only becomes worse. But look at him as if he were what he could be, and then he becomes what he should be." Like Calvin Lloyd, Mr. Washington believed that "Nobody rises to low expectations." This man always gave students the feeling that he had high expectations for them and we strove, all of the students strove, to live up to what those expectations were.
One day, when I was still a junior, I heard him giving a speech to some graduating seniors. He said to them, "You have greatness within you. You have something special. If just one of you can get a glimpse of a larger vision of yourself, of who you really are, of what it is you bring to the planet, of your specialness, then in a historical context, the world will never be the same again. You can make your parents proud. You can make your school proud. You can make your community proud. You can touch millions of people’s lives." He was talking to the seniors, but it seemed like that speech was for me.
I remember when they gave him a standing ovation. Afterwards, I caught up to him in the parking lot and I said, "Mr. Washington, do you remember me? I was in the auditorium when you were talking to the seniors."
He said, "What were you doing there? You are a junior."
I said, "I know. But that speech you were giving, I heard your voice coming through the auditorium doors. That speech was for me, Sir. You said they had greatness within them. I was in that auditorium. Is there greatness within me, Sir?"
He said, "Yes, Mr. Brown."
"But what about the fact that I failed English and math and history, and I’m going to have to go to summer school. What about that, Sir? I’m slower than most kids. I’m not as smart as my brother or my sister who’s going to the University of Miami."
"It doesn't matter. It just means that you have to work harder. Your grades don’t determine who you are or what you can produce in your life."
"I want to buy my mother a home."
"It’s possible, Mr. Brown. You can do that." And he turned to walk away again.
"Mr. Washington?"
"What do you want now?"
"Uh, I’m the one, Sir. You remember me, remember my name. One day you’re gonna hear it. I’m gonna make you proud. I’m the one, Sir."
School was a real struggle for me. I was passed from one grade to another because I was not a bad kid. I was a nice kid; I was a fun kid. I made people laugh. I was polite. I was respectful. So teachers would pass me on, which was not helpful to me. But Mr. Washington made demands on me. He made me accountable. But he enabled me to believe that I could handle it, that I could do it.
He became my instructor my senior year, even though I was Special Education. Normally, Special Ed students don’t take
Speech and Drama, but they made special provisions for me to be with him. The principal realized the kind of bonding that had taken place and the impact that he’d made on me because I had begun to do well academically. For the first time in my life I the honor roll. I wanted to travel on a trip with the drama and you had to be on the honor roll in order to make the trip out of town. That was a miracle for me!
Mr. Washington restructured my own picture of who I am. He gave me a larger vision of myself, beyond my mental conditioning my circumstances.
Years later, I produced five specials that appeared on public television. I had some friends call him when my program, 'You Deserve,' was on the educational television channel in Miami. I was sitting by the phone waiting when he called me in Detroit. He said, "May I speak to Mr. Brown, please?"
"Who’s calling?"
"You know who’s calling."
"Oh, Mr. Washington, it’s you."
"You were the one, weren’t you?"
"Yes, Sir, I was.

venkatakailasam

One day, during an evening class for adults, the psychology Teacher entered the class and told students, “Let’s all play a game!” “ What Game?”

The Teacher asked one of the students to volunteer.
A lady, Aliza came forward.

The Teacher asked her to write 30 names of most important people in her life on blackboard.
Aliza wrote names of her family members, relatives, friends, her colleagues and her neighbors.

The Teacher told her to erase 3 names that Aliza considered most unimportant.

Aliza erased names of her colleagues.
The Teacher again told her to delete 5 more names. Aliza erased her neighbor's names.

This went on until there were just four names left on the blackboard. These were names of her mother, father, husband and the only son...

The entire class became silent realizing that this wasn’t a game anymore for Aliza alone.

Now, The Teacher told her to delete two more names.
It was a very difficult choice for Aliza.

She unwillingly deleted her parents names.
“Please delete one more” said the Teacher.

Aliza became very nervous and with trembling hands and
tears in eyes she deleted her son’s name. Aliza cried painfully...

The Teacher told Aliza to take her seat.

After a while Teacher asked "why your husband?? The parents are the ones that nurtured you, and the son is the one you gave birth to ??? And you can always find another husband !!!"

Total silence in the class.

Everyone was curious to know her response.
Aliza calmly and slowly said, “One day my parents will pass away before me.

My son may also leave me when he grows old, for his studies or business or whatever reason. The only one who will truly share his entire life with me, is my Husband”.
All the students stood up and applauded for her for sharing this truth of life.

This is true. So always value your life partner, it's not only for husbands but wives as well.

God has united these two souls and it's on you now to nurture this relationship above all.

A share from a friend..

venkatakailasam

FAITH CAN MOVE MOUNTAINS....

How God Answers our Prayers?

Dr.Stephen, a well-known doctor, was once on his way to an important medical conference in another city where-in he was going to be granted an award for medical research he had recently done.
He was very excited to attend the conference and was desperate to reach as soon as possible. He had worked long and hard on his research and felt his efforts deserved the award he was about to obtain.
However, two hours after the plane took off, the pilot announced that there was a problem with the plane and that they were going to make an emergency landing at the nearest airport. Afraid that he wouldn't make it in time for the conference, Dr. Stephen immediately went to the help desk as soon as the plane landed and explained to the woman at the desk that he was expected to be at a very important conference and that he needed to know the immediate next flight to his destination. She told him that there was nothing she could do to help him as there wouldn't be another flight to his destination for another ten hours; but suggested he rent a car and drive down to the city as it was only four hours away.
Having no other choice, he agreed to the idea despite his hatred for driving long distances.
Dr. Stephen rented a car and started his journey. However, soon after he left, the weather suddenly changed and a heavy storm began. The pouring rain made it very difficult for him to see and he missed a turn he was supposed to take.
After two hours of driving, he was convinced he was lost. Driving in the heavy rain on a deserted road, feeling hungry and tired, he frantically began to look for any sign of civilization. After some time, he finally came across a small tattered house. Desperate, he got out of the car and knocked on the door. An old woman opened the door for him. He explained his situation and asked if he could use her telephone. She told him that she didn't have a phone or electricity but that he was welcome to come in for some food and something warm to drink as he had completely lost his way and that it would take him some time to get back on the right road.
Hungry, wet and exhausted, the doctor accepted her kind offer and walked in. The woman told him to help himself to some food and hot tea on the table and then excused herself to finish her prayers. Sitting on the table sipping his tea, the doctor watched the woman in the dim light of candles as she prayed next to what appeared to be a small baby crib.
Every time she finished a prayer, she would start another one. Feeling that the woman might be in need of help, the doctor seized the opportunity to speak as soon as she finished her prayers and told her that he hoped God would answer her prayers. He then said that he noticed that she had been making a lot of prayers and asked if there was something she needed that he could get for her or help her with. The woman smiled and said that God had answered all her prayers except one. She said she didn't know why God hadn't answered this specific prayer yet but perhaps it was because of her weak faith.
The doctor asked if she didn't mind telling him what she needed. Nodding her head in approval, she said that the child in the crib was her grandson. She said that the child had a very rare type of cancer and that all the doctors she had seen were unable to treat him. She also said that she had been told that there was a doctor who specialized in the type of cancer her grandson had, but there was no way for her to get to this doctor as he lived very far from her; so she has been spending her days and nights praying to God to help her find a way to get to Dr. Stephen - the doctor who could treat her grandson.
Upon hearing her words, tears began to flow down the doctor's cheeks and He said: God is great, there was malfunction in the plane, a thunderstorm hit, and I lost my way; and all of this happened because God did not just answer your prayer by helping you find a way to get to Dr. Stephen, but He brought Dr. Stephen to your house. I am Dr. Stephen. Tears streaming down her cheeks,
Three important steps:
1)Ask
2)Believe
3)Receive
Thanks to the author of this story....

Received by mail from a friend..

venkatakailasam

On his first day in office as President,
when Abraham Lincoln entered to give his inaugural address, one man stood up.
He was a rich Aristocrat.
He said, “Mr. Lincoln, you should not forget that your father used to make shoes for my family.” And the whole Senate laughed; they thought they had made a fool of Lincoln.
But certain people are made of a totally different mettle.
Lincoln looked at the man directly in the eye and said,
"Sir, I know that my father used to make shoes for your family, and there will be many others here, because he made shoes the way nobody else can.
He was a creator.
His shoes were not just shoes;
he poured his whole soul into them.
I want to ask you, have you any complaint..,
Because I know how to make shoes myself.
If you have any complaint I can make you another pair of shoes.
But as far as I know, nobody has ever complained about my father’s shoes.
He was a genius, a great creator and I am proud of my father.
The whole Senate was struck dumb.
They could not understand what kind of man Abraham Lincoln was.
He was proud because his father did his job so well that not even a single complaint had ever been heard.
Remember:
“No one can hurt you without your consent.”
It is not what happens to us that hurts us.
It is our response that hurts us.
Everything we want in life is waiting for us outside our comfort zone and inside our effort zone...
we just need to make a move.
Shared..

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri VK avl,
Many thanx for sharing.
Inna saidharai oruthal avar naana nan nayam saidhuvidal
Thanjavooran
16 07 2015