Sam Bahadur Manekshaw, MC

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
venkatakailasam

Sam Bahadur Manekshaw, MC

Post by venkatakailasam »

Sam Bahadur Manekshaw, MC ( 03.04.1914 to 27.06.2008 )

27th June, 6 years ago India lost a great, straight forward and brave Soldier Sam Bahadur Manekshaw, MC ( 03.04.1914 to 27.06.2008 ) .....This is Centenary year too for this Infantry officer who became India's first DGMO, and then Field Marshall......The only Indian Army General to participate in 5 wars namely, world war II, 1948,1962,1965 and 1971 .....

During the World War Sam had survived 9 bullets from a Japanese LMG that impaired his kidneys, stomach and Liver ....when doctors in Rangoon asked him what happened Sam replied "a japanese donkey kicked him "' in spite of it, Sam was instrumental for capturing the Pagoda Hills, and Sam was decorated with Military Cross on the same Battlefield for his exemplary valour....

Upon the Partition of India in 1947, his parent unit – 4/12 FFR – became part of the Pakistan Army, and when Mohd. Ali Jinnah requested Sam to join the Pakistani Army, Sam had rejected the offer and got commissioned in Gorkha Rifles ....

When Indira Gandhi ordered Sam to prepare his troops in April,1971 Sam bravely refused because he wanted Monsoon to settle down in East Pakistan and prepared the plan with the then GOC Eastern Command J S Arora and advanced the troops from the Eastern Sector in the early December 1971 and on 16th December crushed the Pakistani Forces.......

But Sam's larger-than-life image also earned him some enemies. For long, he was denied the benefits and status due to a Field Marshal. It was not until 2006-07 that President Abdul Kalam took the initiative and made sure the general got his full dues. But perhaps, it was too late by then. Sam was already in hospital.

Till the age of 90, Sam was driving his own car 'Standard Herald " in the Conoor's Contonement Area i had seen personally.......and till the age of 90 he was active taking directorships in various Corporates.....

When ever he comes to our company i was the first person to be his "Órderly"

Shockingly, Sam Manekshaw was treated shabbily in his death too. Defence Minister AK Antony did not go for his funeral and neither did any of the military chiefs.

The government may have forgotten the man who led India to its greatest military victory but for lakhs of soldiers and military enthusiasts, Sam Hormusji Framji Jamshedji Manekshaw will continue to remain an inspiration

Nick H

Re: Sam Bahadur Manekshaw, MC

Post by Nick H »

When Indira Gandhi ordered Sam to prepare his troops in April,1971 Sam bravely refused because he wanted Monsoon to settle down in East Pakistan ...

He knew the difference between political wishes and military/meteorological realities. And, apparently he addressed her as "Sweety." ;)

A long time ago, somebody advised me to read obituaries in the newspaper. He assured me that I would learn a lot if I did. Of course, one learns it too late.

I was moved by what I read about Sam Manekshaw when he died. A friend with a military family said that they had known him, and it was all true: he was every bit as amazing as the reports made out.

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Field Marshall title was given to Manekshaw. He was and is the only Field Marshall?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

There were two.
The other one was K.M. Cariappa.