Language and Communication

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

There is no supreme language; all languages are personal and social experiences of a community.

Yet, every language is governed by an extraordinary phonetic repertoire orchestrated by 'neuronal laws' of the human brain.

The neuronal structures in which verbal creativity is embedded are the common substratum; they are language-neutral. This means, that irrespective of the language used by a speaker, or the language heard by a listener, the neurons and neuronal networks pulsate, governed by the as-yet undefined semantic laws of neurosciences. Man can create poetry; if the poem has to convey meaning to the audience, the poet has to abandon his search for the 'perfect' language and bow to the superior wisdom of the common parlance which is, in effect, the linguistic social contract for which words are but social memory-markers, or 'numraire facile.' The private memory-markers in the private language of a speaker's or listener's brain are the product of his life-history which can be 'emotionally' or 'neuronally' experienced.

No scientific technique is relevant, no language is adequate and no poet is competent to communicate the emotions of the 'private language' of the brain.

Dr. S. Kalyanaraman

Fremont, CA. 15 May 1998.
Indian Lexicon: An introduction
http://www.hindunet.org/hindu_history/s ... 0intro.htm

Doesn't music transcend the boundary of languages and communicate directly in 'private language' of brain and unite the cultures emotionally?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I think, when two people communicate, such individual private contexts are revealed in some amorphous form in one's output which the other one will use to adjust their output. I think this all happens sub-consciously, so for all we know, the two private regions are having a field day though we may not realize it consciously!! Atleast it has the potential to happen with compatible conversationalists...

Also, as VGV said, music has the capability to go a bit deeper than just prose.

Actually, if the author's theory of 'social markers' are correct, one will not be able to appreciate older poetry or literature since the social markers have changed a lot. But people still enjoy reading the classics.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

vk,
Probably you mean to say '..it will not be able to appreciate older poetry...'

While we are changing constantly at social and environmental level every moment, aren't we retaining the unifying consciousness - the substratum of existence - the enigma of science?
Last edited by vgvindan on 18 Jul 2007, 08:34, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

VGV, yes thanks for pointing that out. That is what I meant to write. I have fixed it now.

Right, we have the ability to change our internal markers to the time period of the piece and enjoy them in that context.

vgvindan

Post by vgvindan »

vk,
As we were communicating, I came to realise the significance what the author calls 'private language'. You missed out the word 'not'. I did not notice it at the first instance. Then after going through the whole text, I 'felt' something jarring. On a second or third reading, I found what you meant to say. This, sub-conscious whole-some exercise which immediately detects a missing link, is, probably, what the author calls 'private language'.

Similarly, music is a wholesome experience. It is not like the steps we take while walking - there is a definite pause between two steps; it is not like flapping of wings of birds - there is a pause between each flap. It is like floating of kite (eagle) - it moves, yet it does not move - the wind carries it. There is a calm, a joy - not even the feeling of self-awareness.

He, that musician, who floats while singing makes us float.

vasanthakokilam

Right VGV. This may a case of cognitive dissonance of sorts. When my words did not make sense, instead of throwing it away as rubbish, you tried to reason it out to get at the intent. May be the social markers/unspoken contract/the private part of our ourselves are revelaed through our postings over time and you intrinsically believed that and made the effort to put together the right meaning. ( talk of over thinking this on my part ;) )

Getting back to that observation/theory of Dr. S. Kalyanaraman, I am sympathetic to that point of view to some extent. Great poetry need not consist of the most perfect words. Rap poetry is an extreme and perfect example of that point of view. ( By Rap, I am not referring to the vulgar and obscene lyrics used in most of the current generation rap music). Using this author's words, most of Rap poetry are a sequence of social memory markers. If you do not know those markers, it will seem utterly jibberish. But for those who know the context, those sequential references carry a ton of (direct) meaning.

Another example are the phrases and metaphors that rural/village people use in India. It is quite flowery and colorful and highly contextual. They are not being cute by the usage of such phrases, idioms and proverbs, it is just part of their basic units of communication.