500+ most frequently used telugu words in carnatic music

Languages used in Carnatic Music & Literature
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

or rather repairing the nest after the ravages of winter ;) Thinking about doing it, procrastinating and realizing the lack of progress is stressful. Need to hire a handycuckoo. ;)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

The cuckoo is famous for leaving its egg in the crow's nest for being hatched by the crow!- :)
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 09 Jun 2009, 12:02, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Ah..Grahabedham!!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

'gruhabhEdm'.
So ,spring cuckoo, you have to catch a crow-'kAkkA piDikka vENDum'- :)
Last edited by PUNARVASU on 09 Jun 2009, 14:56, edited 1 time in total.

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

Which crow..? The one (that) flew over the cuckoo's nest...?

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

keerthi- :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

aha! so finally the spring-cuckoo has decided to lay its egg! Don't worry about a nest! There are plenty of she-crows at the Forum who will nurture the cuckooling until it opens its mouth to 'coo' till the next spring :) Remember
kAkaH kriShNaH pikaH kriShNaH kO bhEdhAH pikakAkayOH |
vasantasamayE prAptE kAkaH kAkaH pikaH pikaH ||

(..what is relevant for this thread is that .. as long as the 'aravam' does not open its mouth it will be considered a 'telugu' :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

CML,
Goes to prove, whatever the cuckoo's reputation, however uncaring it may come across to be (this is purely about the bird, not about the one who bears its name), it is the best name one can have. Its sweet music is the reason? Add the favorite sprinkle of spring to the name, and who can resist it? In a way, this is the case with some of CM's musicians too, is it not? However unappealing the personalities of some, there music lives on and they are admired no end--or rather, their music :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote: (..what is relevant for this thread is that .. as long as the 'aravam' does not open its mouth it will be considered a 'telugu' :)
'aravam' in telugu means- we won't shout.
VK add this too... :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

.. also 'aravam' (under the Table) means us 'Tamils' :) (among the 'gults' :)

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

The next, much delayed instalment..

63. 46 hRt - sanskrit for heart.. heart, idayam, hrdaya,dil (thyAgarAja-hrt-sadana - dweller of thyagarAja's heart..)

64. 46 enta - how much/as much (ever), ettanai/evvaLavu, yeshTu, kitnA/jitnA (enta nErcinA enta jUcinA = however much one has learnt, however much one has seen)

65. 46 arcita - Skt. for worshipped, see also nuta, sannuta, vandita, pujita

66. 45 sakala - entire/all/complete, used as it is in other languages.. (sakala lOka nAtha = lord of the whole world OR lord of all the worlds)

67. 44 nayana - Sanskrit for eye, also see netra/ akSa/lOcana (kuvalaya daLa nayana = lotus-petal-eyed one!)

68. 44 Ananda - skt. For bliss/joy, Used identically in all languages..(Ananda-sAgara-mIdu = In the ocean of bliss)

69. 43 aTa - A suffix, used to give the meaning 'it seems' or 'they say' akkum,antE, KahtE haiN
Also used in an imperative or instructional tone..(ought to/should etc..)
(sItA pati pUjyuDaTa = sIta's lord, he is to be venerated)(pUjyudu = worship-worthy, venerable; pUjyudaTa = SHOULD be worshipped)

70. 42 Sayana - skt. Abstract noun For sleep.. (kShIra-sagara-SayanA = One who sleeps in the Milky ocean)
derived from the root verb 'shIn' for recline..
so it has more to do with lying down than with sleeping..

71. 42 mada - skt for arrogance/intoxication; is the same in other languages.. (duSTa danuja mada vidAra = O Lord who subdued the arrogance of wicked demons!)

72. 42 lEni - suffix, to denote 'without' or 'in the absence of'..(daya-lEni bratukEmi = what is the use of living, without your blessing )

73. 41 ika - adv. Yet, still, further, hereafter, henceforth, then, next, in future, presently, soon
(ika kAvalasinad(E)mi = What else do You need?)

74. 40 tana - tana. [Tel.] adj. Own, his her, my. tan(uDaya), tanna, uskA
(tana mIdanE ceppukOvale = I shall blame it only on myself)
See 'tAnu' of which this is the genitive.

75. 40 karuNA - sanskrit for compassion/mercy, karuNai,karuNe, karuNA
also see daya (karuNa jUDavamma = Deign to have mercy on me)

76. 40 idi - this,idu,idu, yah/yE(h) ( idi samayamurA =Now/this is the time)

77. 39 tyAgarAju - the composers name; which he used as the signature for his songs (sva-nAma-mudrA)

78. 39 para - Skt. word with a host of meanings.. Generally used in the sense of 'the other', the outre..

have highlighted those used by thyagaraja..

far , distant , remote (in space) , opposite , farther than , beyond , on the other or farther side of , extreme ; previous (in time) , former ; ancient , past ; later , future , next ; following , succeeding , subsequent ; final , last ; exceeding (in number or degree) , more than ; better or worse than , superior or inferior to , best or worst , highest

1.para lOka = the other world;
2. para-nArI-sodara = one who is like a brother to (all) other('s) women [i.e, women beside one's wife](he uses para-bhAma, para-satI, para-kaminI also)
3.parAtpara = one who is beyond everything!
4.para dESi = vagrant,literally an alien;
5. para-ninda/ para-dushaNa = criticising others
6. also used in the sense of parama,(superlative) (pAhi par(A)nanda sindhO);paradevi, paratattvam, are other examples..

79. 39 lEdu - It is not, illai, illa, nahin hai
(sAkSi lEd(a)nucu sAdhimpakE = Do not assert that there are no witnesses)

lē. is the base of the negative forms lEka, lEni, lEdu

ksrimech

Post by ksrimech »

keerthi wrote:Put it in the bhakti(or sahitya discussions) thread or as a new topic here under languages, and post a link here as well..
Keerti,

Here is it: http://rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php? ... havam.html

Sorry that I have taken so long to write this piece. Also, I have taken liberty and written a longer piece than what you would have expected.

My research work here at school is taking all the time and I'm not able to come to the forum often if you have noticed.

vasanthakokilam

Just a quick note: The excellent work of translators here are already paying off. A few days back, I realized that all of a sudden I am paying attention to the 'further' lines of telugu lyrics. Before all this, what stayed with me was the 'starting line of the pallavi', 'A litte bit of the beginning of the anupallavi' and may be a bit of the charanam. Now, when the artist sings the second line of anupallavi and if it has some words that has been elaborated in this thread, then the whole line comes to life. And all this, without even consciously trying to pay attention to the lyrics. Nice! Good work all the translators and contributors. Looking forward to more and more. Thanks.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Thought this thread needs to be bumped again.....thanks a ton for the great work by Isramesh, Chetana, Keerthi et al so far. Request all to help us get to 500 soon, so that we can get hold of VK's PDF guide :)

vasanthakokilam

I was thinking of the same thing sridhar_rang, just to tell the translators and commentators we are still interested.

S.Govindaswamy

Post by S.Govindaswamy »

Vasanthakokilam- You wrote"
Just a quick note: The excellent work of translators here are already paying off. A few days back, I realized that all of a sudden I am paying attention to the 'further' lines of telugu lyrics."

You may be aware that Mr.V.Govindan in his blog site http://thyagaraja-vaibhavam.blogspot.com/ has been discussing Thyagaraja kritis with word by word meaning. He has covered all the songs and is going through a revision.

vasanthakokilam

S.Govindaswamy, Thanks. Yes, V. Govindan's site is the ready reference. I scraped his full Thyagaraja krithis document to come up with the word list histogram.

gobilalitha

Post by gobilalitha »

I was all these days wondering why we miss the informative and educative contributions of Govindan, one of our knowledgable forumites .Now, I feel very happy that he is very busy with his highly informative contributions in his blogspot. gobilalitha

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

will try and resume.. it takes soooo long to compose each instalment.. I probably am unnecessarily elaborate...

gn.sn42

Post by gn.sn42 »

keerthi wrote:will try and resume.. it takes soooo long to compose each instalment.. I probably am unnecessarily elaborate...
For me, it's not unnecessary at all; the meanings and the details are valuable. Too often, I just extract the benefits of this forum and don't stop to express my appreciation; my apologies for that. Please do continue at your own pace; there's no deadline, and there are more people benefiting from your efforts than you might realize.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Yes, Keerthi. As gn sn says, your elaborations do help in that they make more sense. RasikAs can make connections with words they are familiar with in their own languages. This way, it is not a mere word meaning reference.

vasanthakokilam

I echo fully what gn.sn42 and arasi say.

prabuddha

Post by prabuddha »

Perhaps I may offer a suggestion. Sri TS Parthasarathi's book on Thyagaraja Swami keerthanai's has a glossary of hundreds of words. It gives the Telugu word in Tamil script followed by its meaning in Tamil. It is a carefully compiled list. It renders perfect justice to to the translation job. For example, if Thyagaraja Swami uses a pre-modern register of Telugu, the Tamil equivalent is exactly pre-modern. As an example, a word like 'banTu' is rendered in Tamil as 'sEvakan' and not as say, 'aDi AL'.

I think the computer savvy should convert this glossary into a database and add information so that the original Telugu word and its meaning may also be viewed in English.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

I am a bit confused - what is the difference between 'sEvakan' (a borrowed word, I guess) and 'aDi AL'?

arunk

Post by arunk »

aDi AL translates literally to "hit man" ;-) - of course it means someone to do your dirty work as well as other menial work

sevakan - "someone in your services as peon etc"

I would say both are similar but imply different connotations?

Arun

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

But sEvakan is a word that's borrowed from sanskrit, and not an indegenous tamizh word (and hence, can't be pre-modern?)

arunk

Post by arunk »

It is indeed borrowed although tamil has been borrowing from sanskrit for quite a while. Still there must be a indigenous (say old tamil) equivalent - i do not know what it is.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

maybe paNiyAL?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

rshankar wrote:But sEvakan is a word that's borrowed from sanskrit, and not an indegenous tamizh word (and hence, can't be pre-modern?)
On the other hand it is pre-modern exactly for the same reason. Its even found in the Tiruvachakam (circa 9th century CE). There is currently no Tamil literature we know of (right from the earliest) without words borrowed from Indic.

I can't read Telugu script, but Brown's Telugu Dictionary lists baNTu as

బంటà±ÂÂ

arasi

Post by arasi »

ANDAL uses it: enRenRun sEvakamE ETRip paRai koLVAn

aDiyAL, aDimai, Uzhiyan ??

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

toNDan is probably the closest Tamil equivalent to sEvakan.

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

transliteration for some of the telugu words in 129:

a pawn at chess - sEvakuDu
a devotee, bhaktuDu
a disciple, SishyuDu
a brave man, SuruDu

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

I miss the edit button.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Suji Ram wrote:'aravam' in telugu means- we won't shout.
When Telugus use the word 'aravamu' or 'aravalu' to refer to Tamil people (or to the language), it is the Tamil meaning that applies, the tamil meaning of aravam is serpent. The word is derived from Skt. sarpam.

Probably Tamils were in ancient times called the Nagas (snake people or snake worshippers). The buddhist canon (dIrgha nikAya 20: MahÄÂÂ

prabuddha

Post by prabuddha »

1) Saying 'sEvakan' is a more traditional register of the language. They will be armed with sticks as are 'aDi AL'. It just means a retainer of a feudal lord, local zamindar, oor periyavar etc
2) Sri TS Parthasarathi has used a register of Tamil which was very respectable and formal until the 1900's or so. That's what I meant. This 'tanittamiz' and the related disease of looking for pure Tamil equivalents for every word commonly used in Tamil is of recent origin.
3) I've used pre modern in the sense of anything before 1900
4) Some Sanskrit I'm sure has always been there in Tamil
5) aravam is noise in Tamil too. To contrast, Andal uses 'pEccharavam' for conversation as in 'pEccharavam kETTilaiyO' in the 'keesu keesenRu' song and 'puRRaravam' for snake in the 'kaRRu karavai kaNangaL' song.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

கீசà¯ÂÂ

arasi

Post by arasi »

srkris,
kIcu kIcenRu--is how ANDAL sang--meaning, the sound of birds).
kIccu kIccu is is more modern.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Oh OK... pls continue with the telugu stuff. :)

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

sridhar_rang wrote:transliteration for some of the telugu words in 129:

a pawn at chess - sEvakuDu
a devotee, bhaktuDu
a disciple, SishyuDu
a brave man, SuruDu
should it not be 'SUruDu'-brave man (from the word SUra)

sridhar_ranga

Post by sridhar_ranga »

Yes Punarvasu, it is SUruDu.

Now you know why I missed that edit facility immediately after posting it! :)

sankark

Re: 500+ most frequently used telugu words in carnatic music

Post by sankark »

Just now came across this thread. One thing that I have been thinking about.

How does a word get established as sanskrit (indic?) originated/derived. Couldn't sEvai become sEva or aravam become sarpam? Just curious. Any good online references to read up on?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

arava in Sanskrit means noiseless !
sEv in Sanskrit means serve / obey / worship. And sEvaka means servant / attendant / follwer.

It is curious that the common Tamil word ANi (nail) is found in Rig Veda.
Similarly, the Tamil word nIr (water) is similar to nIra (water) in Mahabharata.

vasanthakokilam

Good resource. Thanks

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

aravam is derived from a+ravam - without sound - having no aspirated consonants.
http://dsalsrv02.uchicago.edu/cgi-bin/r ... able=brown

natyasri

Post by natyasri »

its bharamu and not bAramu.