Can we have View all topics by user

Troubleshooting
rajeshnat

Can we have View all topics by user

Post by rajeshnat »

Srkris
Two issues
1. There was a lovely feature called view all your topics for every member, where in it will show all the topics posted by the user . That function is not available now . Please bring that back.

2.When you click Search User posts , I see after few posts the heading of the post is not appearing . See the link
http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php ... 5&sr=posts to get an idea of what I am saying. Fix that too.

rajeshnat

Re: Can we have View all topics by user

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris
Gentle remainder . Can you fix the above two.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Yes please!

Unless I am missing something obvious, it has been hard to find posts/topics by a particular member or even one's own posts/topics.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

For the first issue, you need to click on the username at the right and click on "search user's posts". Is this what you are looking for?

For the second issue, for posts that don't show a heading (probably because they were migrated from the other script - fluxbb), it is because those posts dont have a heading.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks. I really had misunderstood the 'search user's posts.' Perhaps it could be renamed to something like 'find all posts by this user'?

It would still be really useful (rajeshnat's request, if I understand) to also have a 'find all threads started by this user'

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote:For the first issue, you need to click on the username at the right and click on "search user's posts". Is this what you are looking for?
Show All topics by user is different, it will only list all the topics that the user has started , it is kind of rolled up link that the user started which is a wonderful insight
srkris wrote: For the second issue, for posts that don't show a heading (probably because they were migrated from the other script - fluxbb), it is because those posts dont have a heading.
EveryPost had a topicname in the previous avatars of site, during migration as there were bugs , after a particular no it gets lost . For a fixed no of posts the heading comes , If you look at the link http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php ... 5&sr=posts and then scroll down we just loose out the topic heading from a particular post (search for Clean Hit JB! in that page). Please fix the issue

I have few more to ask you after you are kind of done with this two.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Rajesh: For the second issue, are we on the same page that the problem is not about search but the posts themselves do not have a heading? I tried a few and that seems to be the case.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Rajesh: For the second issue, are we on the same page that the problem is not about search but the posts themselves do not have a heading? I tried a few and that seems to be the case.
VK
You are right,let us put the second issue out at this time

Srkris,
can you reply if you are working on Show All topics by user feature please.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris,
When we click on user profile - you have link that says search user's posts. Can we also have another link that says "search users new topics" (which are the brand new topics opened by the user). Also third link which says "search users topics" where if the user has posted any post anywhere it gets rolled up with topic names.

Many a times I remember that some user id posted and for me to retrieve what they posted if these rolled up views are there , will help to get it (Dont say you can achieve the same thing thru search, but it takes more time and clicks). Also these kind of rolled up topic views identifies and gives insight to every user in terms of what and whom they have posted .

This feature Search Users Topics was there for sure few years back say 5 years back , it got removed. Please work on it and let this not be in hibernate mode and then finally die.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Every post in the topic used to have a ascending number for the post , it has gone out , could you bring it back.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yes since i have reinstalled the files, I need to modify them again to introduce the post numbers etc, will do it soon.

We need someone who has experience with php scripting and SEO to do some improvements to this site. My own experience with these only goes so far.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Updates:
1. The post numbers are back
2. The 'view topics by user' functionality is available on every user's profile. This lists down the topics started by the user.
3. Added a Facebook like button for our members who are Facebook users to like/share our topics on FB. Those who dont use FB may please ignore this.
4. Made some changes to google bot permissions, let's see if google starts re-indexing the forum.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Added a mobile version of the site.

When you access the forum from a mobile device (like a phone or ipad), it automatically shows the mobile-friendly style. You can see it at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/index.php?mobile=mobile or click the "Switch to mobile style" at the bottom of any page.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Added a similar topics functionality that shows up 10 similar topics at the bottom of each topic. This number can be increased/decreased as required.

This does not work for lounge and the following 3 sections.

vasanthakokilam

The mobile version looks pretty good. You have to get adjusted to what is where but it is quite easy on the eyes.

arasi

Post by arasi »

My! Though I do not use many of these facilities, it seems as though you are making a lot of people happy!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris,
Thanks for creating view all topics by User.

MY post in #9 was
When we click on user profile - you have link that says search user's posts. Can we also have another link that says "search users new topics" (which are the brand new topics opened by the user). Also third link which says "search users topics" where if the user has posted any post anywhere it gets rolled up with topic names.
If possible can you also provide a third link that also rolls up the posts in a topic even if that person has not created the topic as stated above. Will pass other comments bit later. Thank you

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Rajesh,

I am sorry I didn't understand that. Are you asking for a list of topics where the user has participated?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote:Hi Rajesh,

I am sorry I didn't understand that. Are you asking for a list of topics where the user has participated?
Yes right now there is no roll up of all posts in a topic for a user (who has not started the topic)- so as two is there (view by topics and view by Posts), this is third one.

vasanthakokilam

I have seen in other forums where there is a 'search in thread' option which has an advanced option to specify a member's name. If I understood right that is what Rajesh is asking for. Our 'search in topic' option searches in the message body in a topic but not by member. That will be an useful option indeed for long topics.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I don't see why anyone would want to see only posts of a particular user in a specific thread. What would be its point?

Would such a search ever be widely used or would it rather confuse people?

Currently one can search for a particular user's posts in all threads via advanced search, using this format (replace author ID and thread ID):

Code: Select all

http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php?&author=rajeshnat&t=16925

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Let me take few steps back
Search user’s posts and Search user’s topics are clear .In search user's topics it will point out to the topics that the user opened as a new topic. What I am asking as the third option is the roll up of all topics that the user has participated . I am certainly not asking to roll up only the posts by a particular topic.

One use of this third feature - many a time I know a particular user has posted a lot of good posts though he has not started that topic. If I click search users posts all the posts of that user will be displayed. It is difficult to wade to that post, where as if you have the topic rolled up , it is easier to use that link.

In the profile page it now this way Search user’s posts | Search user’s topics
Instead we can have it as View Posts | View New Topics by User | View All Topics by User

The First two View posts and View New Topics by user is the same as the existing and the third is what I am asking for.

Hope I am clear

vasanthakokilam

Rajesh: If I understand you right, that option already exists. In Advanced Search, enter the member's name in "search for author" and topics for "Display Result As".

See if that is what you want.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Rajesh: If I understand you right, that option already exists. In Advanced Search, enter the member's name in "search for author" and topics for "Display Result As".

See if that is what you want.
Yes VK , all three features can be done thru search ,but it takes time . Providing links for the third in the member profile will really be useful.

Srkris
Hope you have got what i am asking for - the third link which i have mentioned in my previous post.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

OK got it. This is done. I have renamed the options to make them clearer.

User’s posts | Topics Started | Topics Participated

Topics participated is the newly introduced option.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote:OK got it. This is done. I have renamed the options to make them clearer.

User’s posts | Topics Started | Topics Participated

Topics participated is the newly introduced option.
Srkris,
Excellent , the concise naming of Topics Started and Topics Participated is job very well done. One thing I had in mind with this feature is always knowing bit more about each of the user profile in one view , so that we get insights of that participating user .This Topics participated will go a long way towards that. Glad i persisted in asking this and more importantly glad you gave the feature.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris,
A small low hanging fruit feature for the likes. In the member profile I see a member count having a hyper link, but the likes count does not have a hyper link . Can you add that please.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Rajeshnat,

Apologies for the delayed reply.

On the user profile page, both likes-count and posts-count have hyperlinks to their right (i.e. the numbers themselves are not hyperlinked, but the "view details" and "user's posts" have hyperlinks which supply the same details).