Rasikas Wiki

Troubleshooting
vasanthakokilam

Re: Rasikas Wiki

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Yeah, the quotation icon is too cute for its own good.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

srkris wrote: "View All topics by user" & "View all Posts by User" are available from the search page.
View all topics by user = Search for author : XYZ, Display result as: Topics (if you want to search topics started by a user, select Search within: First post of topics only)
View all posts by user = Search for author : XYZ, Display result as: Posts (Also available as a single click from user profile under the link "Search user’s posts")
Srkris
Your workaround is good . But still you are asking me to go to search type XYZ in search for author field and make two selections , that is bit of a pain. I found with your input :

When you click on user profile , you see search users post, so that is kind of the same as view all posts by user .

Infact you can have two links next to Search Users Posts , namely Search User's topics, Search Topics stated by User.

For eg with srkris as a user:
-------------------------------------
Search User's Posts -> link is http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php?author_id=2 is already in place
Add two more links next to it. They are

Search User's Topics -> link is http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php ... &sr=topics

Search Topics stated by User ->link is http://www.rasikas.org/forums/search.php ... &sr=topics

The third is very very useful where we can quickly locate the posts that we started .

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

different users have different needs, and what one likes is not liked by others.
Being a technical person, I'm sure you realise that needs and likes are different. Whilst I am not too-much old quite yet, I still need a special pair of specs for reading a screen, and I get very impatient with phone systems that seem designed only for youngsters with perfect vision. These usability issues have to be tailored so that the site is accessible to everyone. Those of us that need even bigger type (and I do, for quite a lot of sites) need to be aware of CTRL-plus.

Typography/design begins with basic rules that have developed over centuries, and that need only minor modification for on-screen implementation. Whilst black-on-white has long been acknowledged to be the most readable combination, for screens it is dazzling. I'm happiest with greyish/blueish backgrounds: others may pick their point on the spectrum to recommend, as long as there is sufficient contrast, it does not matter.

I do agree with making the ["] a bit more obvious: I completely failed to see it!

skris, ongoing thanks are due for all the ongoing work. Keep it up, it is wonderful facility for us all, and it is too easy for us to take it for granted.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Crama wrote: I have vision problems and the new format makes it difficult to read. Anybody to listen?
Srkris
Not to upset you in any way , but the above comment by Crama has to be taken as a priority . I think the present layout gray is perhaps bit too dark, and the foreground font is bit too light for most of us (inclusive of me, CRama are finding it very difficult). I was thinking we can do few things ,
1. There are two alternate bands one is light grey and the other dark grey . Can the dark grey ones like post id #242113 made as white
2. Can we use a font like sans serif /helvetica . I dont know what this font is , is that ariel dont know, but the font is not easy to read for continous long posts

As a fall back can we revert to what it was prior to two weeks that was live for a year. I thought we got everything right then.Certainly not getting any mileage from this change ;)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Unless you have some overriding setting in your browser (that can be done), this is a sans serif font.

Typographical wisdom of the ages is that a serif font is easier to read, but usually serif fonts seem to be used in applications like this one. Perhaps they look cleaner.
Can the dark grey ones like post id #242113 made as white
Please, not white ...as per my comment above, it is dazzling. Even though I use software to be able to adjust the brightness of individual widows, I still have a problem with pure white: it is analogous to high volume in a concert!
As a fall back can we revert to what it was prior to two weeks that was live for a year
Preferred by me too.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

mohan wrote:Didn't realise the quotation icon was actually something you can click to quote!
Me too! It is quite well camouflaged. Couldn't have guessed it was an icon :)

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Are we all happy now that we are back on the old look?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

I was in the middle of a message and when I finished posting it, the website refreshed and went back to the old format!
A very welcome surprise.

I like this layout much better, Srkris. I think we should keep it this way for a while.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

OK Mahavishnu, sorry for that glitch.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

SRKRIS
Thanks a lot for the new aunt-sized fonts!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Sachi: :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you skris.

It's tough running a forum. It's like putting a heap of work in to painting a house, and then everybody complains about the colour. But you are appreciated :)

And my fonts are the same size as they were before! :lol:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Still happy... but there are a number of errors showing up as pages open.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yeah Nick, I was trying to make some modifications to the template to introduce sequential post numbers, but they didnt work (you saw the errors), and I have reverted them back.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Nice to see the return of the old layout - with a few changed icons :)

Why doesn't this thread appear in the list of active topics?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Mohan, the "Website Issues" section is not viewable for anonymous users, and probably it's permissions restrict threads from showing up in active topics.

smala

Post by smala »

Both general look and the default font is more pleasing and readable. Thanks for reverting, skris.

arunk

Post by arunk »

I also like the new, old look.

One suggestion. Now *every* post in a thread as the thread-name (e.g. Re: Rasikas Wiki in this one) in extra bold, extra large size compared to poster name. I would suggest, to rebalance the sizes. The thread name need not be so prominent in every post under the thread itself.

Thanks
Arun

arasi

Post by arasi »

Arun and Mohan,
I agree. I think as we see all the improvements, we are able to see ways of fine-tuning it further.

One big plus is something which I noticed, but there is no mention about it ;)
Remember how we needed to scroll down every time to see the new posts because the General Discussions page was top-heavy with locked BhArathi threads?

Thanks Srkris for changing that. If it's agreeable, you may even transfer them to the Literature section of the forum. Just a thought...

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

arunk wrote:The thread name need not be so prominent in every post under the thread itself.
Good idea, done.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Sequential post numbers have been re-instated now.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great! All is well now :)

arasi

Post by arasi »

Good to have the post numbers back!

Srkris,
The smileys I have to get used to. Ah, how I miss my wink now!