Please extend the Thumbs Up functionality

Troubleshooting
Nick H

Please extend the Thumbs Up functionality

Post by Nick H »

The Thumbs-Up "thanks" functionality is really useful for acknowledging appreciated posts, but, most times I want to use it, I find that it is not available.

Why not extend it to the entire forum?

We do not have a thumbs-down icon, so cannot engage in like/dislike wars that might be seen elsewhere on the net. I don't think anyone here is keen to post populist trivia just to get upvotes. And even if they do, it is not really a problem.

Please extend the system. I want to say Thank You to more members, for more posts, more often :D

Thank you.

srkris
Site Admin

Re: Please extend the Thumbs Up functionality

Post by srkris »

Apologies for the inordinate delay, it is a complex mod and I would need an 'x' number of hours at a stretch to reinstall it. I haven't been able to devote the required time in the last one month to bring back the add-ons after the hack. Will do so at the earliest opportunity.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Oh! sorry <Blush>

I hadn't realised that it had disappeared from everywhere --- and that this was associated with the recent problems.

Apologies. I understand you can only get around to these things as you get around to them.

Let me rephrase my request...

When you have time to restore the "Thanks," could you please do so for all the forums?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Srkris

1. Set up a version control and check in all your code

Few important features that needs to be restored
2. Post numbering is gone

3. User’s posts | Topics Started | Topics Participated --> That was a lovely feature which I asked , you did it and now it is gone

4. Mobile friendly version of the app --> That was good

5. Likes/dislikes , thumbs up.

Do #1 first and then do the rest , take your time. I prefer 2,3 ,4 and 5 would be the right priority after 1.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

I have the list of things to restore :-)

The 'likes' is the most complex change, only that is pending now, the rest have been restored.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I see thumbs to click, at least on some posts!

Many thanks for this.

I don't know what forums it is/isn't available --- but can it be the whole site please?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Nick, sorry for the delay in responding, it is available for the whole site except this & Rasikas wiki sections.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you srkris :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I do wish we could have our like/thanks/thumbs-up facility back.

There are so many noteworthy posts that I want to, at least, acknowledge, without having anything to say in direct response.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Hi Nick - sorry for the delay. The re-introduction of the thumbs-up is not simple. It is a separate plugin that needs to be upgraded by it's maker before it is re-installed on the forum. I request your patience, apologies.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you... OK, I have to be patient :)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Is this new heart thing the same as the thumbs up sign?

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

It is (almost) the same functionality but I am trying to replace the heart symbol with the thumbs-up.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

srkris wrote:It is (almost) the same functionality but I am trying to replace the heart symbol with the thumbs-up.
Thank you!!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Great.

On the right of a post, I see two thumb-up symbols, one white, one green. What is the difference? Is the white one a negative?

Can we see, as per the previous system (in fact, there was a nice pop-up when entering the site) who is doing the thumbing?

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

I see two thumb-up symbols, one white, one green.
White one indicates the number of thumbs up awarded by you.
The green one indicates the numbers of thumbs up earned by you.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

You can also hold the mouse cursor over the number of likes to see the relevant details (both within the post and also in the right side under the user details). For example, see the screenshot below where it shows me who clicked the like button on my previous post in this thread.

Also you can click on the 'notifications' at the top right to see recent notifications of likes, each notification can be clicked to go directly to the post it refers to:

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

That's great. I really should have noticed the "notifications!" <Blush>

The mouseover thing is not working for me. I did disable adblock, as it is often the culprit, but to no avail. I can't see who liked my post, or the likers of other posts.

By the way, I found I can thumbsup my own post, which a poster probably shouldn't be able to do.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Yes, I will find a way to disable a user thumbing up themselves, but I don't think anyone can prove anything by thumbing themselves up :roll:

Regarding the mouseover - what browser do you use and what is its version? I use Firefox 38.0.1. Is javascript enabled on it?

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Firefox 38.0, Linux Mint, Mate desktop --- but I do use Classic Theme Restorer and some other customisation to make it look like the FF I knew and loved, rather than something I... don't. I'd better do a no-add-ins start and check.

Yes, I'm pretty sure that javascript is enabled. I can never find that setting!