Musical Morsels

cmlover

Re: Musical Morsels

Post by cmlover »

Very very interesting. Pl post more.
I guess the aaDal paaDal review is by Kalki himself.
What a pity he was not awarded SK :(
(probably due to his Tamil bias...)

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, CML.

No, the 'Aadal Paadal' review was in 46. Kalki had left Vikatan in 41 itself. ( I don't know who wrote these Music Columns after Kalki left Vikatan.... or even if it was a Group effort? with Editorial help)
Last edited by Pasupathy on 13 Jan 2014, 17:50, edited 1 time in total.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Savoring the morsels...

RKS was not known in TN for a long time was my impression. He and Waheeda Rahman (her picture as a dancer) mentioned in ADal pADal really surprised me!

Thanks for your found little treasures...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

arasi wrote:Savoring the morsels...

RKS was not known in TN for a long time was my impression. He and Waheeda Rahman (her picture as a dancer) mentioned in ADal pADal really surprised me!

Thanks for your found little treasures...
I saw a picture of Ragini - wonder if the duo labeled Kerala sahOdarigaL were the other two from the Travancore Trio….Waheeda Rehman was a trained bharatanATyam dancer - a big factor in her choice to play the heroine in Guide.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

I saw a picture of Ragini - wonder if the duo labeled Kerala sahOdarigaL were the other two from the Travancore Trio…
Somehow, I doubt it, rshankar! Usually they ( L, P and R) were known only as Travancore Sisters, as I remember ....
Also in the previous year ( 53 ) see
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2013/01/10.html

( Along with pictures ) Full mention of their names are there in 'aadal paadal' in 53....so I think their names would have been spelt out in 54 too....

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, rshankar! Your query made me search a little more...discovered a few end pages I had not reported ...
will post them later ..( mention of L, P and R is there:-)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Pasupathy wrote:Somehow, I doubt it, rshankar! Usually they ( L, P and R) were known only as Travancore Sisters, as I remember ....
Also in the previous year ( 53 ) see
( Along with pictures ) Full mention of their names are there in 'aadal paadal' in 53....so I think their names would have been spelt out in 54 too....
Lovely - this picture just had L and P (with their cousin, I think). On another note, it is interesting to see now Senior nATyAcArya, guru Rhadha described as 'baby' Rhadha, with her older sister!
Is 'Baby Lakshmi' who danced at the Indian Fine Arts Society in 1954 the same as the famous actress Lakshmi (of 'Julie' fame)?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Is 'Baby Lakshmi' who danced at the Indian Fine Arts Society in 1954 the same as the famous actress Lakshmi (of 'Julie' fame)?
My guess: Baby Lakshmi in

is perhaps Lakshmi Viswanathan ( sister of Charumathy Ramachandran)

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

It is interesting that while many of the artists are very recognizable (e.g., Smts. Vyjayantimala, Kamala, Waheeda, and the Travancore Sisters), some of them are not easy to recognize. I agree that 'Baby Lakshmi' could very well be Ms. Lakshmi Visvanathan. :)

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Another faint memory and a guess. Someone can correct me if I'm wrong.

I think that the first-prize winner in IFA Vocal Competition ( 1954) , R.Padma ( shown holding tambura in a picture) might be Padma , daughter of Tamil writer 'Thumilan' Ramaswamy ( now Mrs. Manakkal Rangarajan .) Thumilan lived in our street in T Nagar during those days and I remember Sri Rangarajan coming to their house to teach music to her. I think Manakkal Sriram is a member here; perhaps someone who knows him can ask him to verify if this picture is hers or not.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits - 26
The third and final part of articles covering 1954 Music Season.

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 26
சங்கீத சீசன் : 1954 - 3

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/01/26.html
Pasupathy

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -27
About Madurai Somu : Part -2

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 27
மதுரை சோமு - 2

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/01/27.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks - very touching and informative...
Pl continue
Thanks to Asokan (Somupriyan) for sharing through you...

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Yes, many thanks to Raju Asokan, for everything.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Raju Asokan--came to know his name through the forum and have been awed by his sharing--mostly through others. Have always wanted to thank him--this silent donor of riches...

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Once more...
Tyagaraja Aradhana: 70 yrs ago..
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2013/01/14.html

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -28
Jan 23. Ariyakkudi Ramanuja Iyengar's Memorial Day.
சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 28
அரியக்குடிக்குத் தம்பூரா போட்டார் --- செம்மங்குடி!
ஜனவரி 23 . இன்று அரியக்குடி ராமானுஜ ஐயங்கார் நினைவு தினம்.
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/01/28.html

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits - 29
A special record of M.S.released for Indian Republic Day, 1950.

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 29
எங்கள் பாரத நாடு!

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/01/29.html

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks Pasupathy!
Saw bits of the Republic Day parade on TV yesterday. Impressive, but what you have brought us is something else.

Bharathi lived and breathed to inspire us all. How the word 'engaL' gains such status in his emphasis--the 'en' and 'engaL' of limited existence gaining universality in his gloating :)

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -30
Madurai Somu - 3

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 30
மதுரை சோமு - 3

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/02/30.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks.
Do we know the real reason why Somu was not awarded SK?

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Like many illustrious musicians such as TNR, MDR, LGJ annd others, I think, it is mostly a question of 'the competition in any particular year' and how the votes swing that year. I think mostly that: rather than some being rejected, someone else is elected. I think Madurai Somu is in good company !

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Basic facts
Madurai S. Somasundaram (1919–1989)
He was awarded the Padma Shri by the Government of India in 1976, the Sangeet Natak Akademi Award in 1978 and the Sangeetha Kalasikhamani award by The Indian Fine Arts Society in 1983. Annamalai University conferred the Doctor of Law on him Honoris Causa.
He learnt music from Sesha Bhagavatar, Abhirama Sastri and Chittoor Subramanyam Pillai.

By the by LGJ declined SK when it was awarded to him

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Pasupathy sir
This discussion comes too often. Just few cents

TNR lived just for 58 ,as he passed in 1956 - it was his premature death that took away the award
MDR was just 61 ,as he passed in 1984- perhaps just like TNR his premature death tookaway
LGJ was given but he refused his history
Madurai Somu was 70 and he died in 1989. Possibly he could have been just given. Definitely two years not giving SK award as a mark of respect for T and MD centenary took away 2 missed choices.

Also musicians like DKJ and Palghat raghu just made it as within few months of award they passed away.

For me the greatest omission is none of the above . He is Prof TRS who was 84 . (1929-2013). The fact that he was given sangeetha kala acharya itself means the institution was ok in awarding him. All of them TNR, Somu, SKR,MDR with leadership of TRS (atleast his age was 84 in bhoolOkam) should be rejoicing with great team.

cacm

Post by cacm »

SANGEETHA KALA ACHARYA AWARD it is said ELIMINATES S.K. acc to "EXPERTS". S.RAJAM & SEVERAL OTHERS FALL IN THIS CATEGORY. VKV

cacm

Post by cacm »

It is said by "EXPERTS" Sangitha Kala Acharya Award is given to rub it in the person will not be given S.K. I was told this when I actively campaigned tho' I am not a member of M.A. myself for S.Rajam....VKV The QUXOTIC ways of M.A. are exceeded by only the so called committee members. MURALI is one of the FEW WHO IS REALLY GOOD in this & other regards. VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cacm wrote:SANGEETHA KALA ACHARYA AWARD it is said ELIMINATES S.K. acc to "EXPERTS". S.RAJAM & SEVERAL OTHERS FALL IN THIS CATEGORY. VKV
Agreed VKV Sir, but few musicians like TRS fall in both SKA and SKN category .I was thinking TRS could be the first brilliant exception as his teaching and musicianship is equally outstanding. Also they should build a brand image for SKA ,it should not be construed as quite a lot (not all)who cant make it to SKN will get SKA. :) . Anyway SKA is just from 1993.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Rajesh
While you bewail TRS, I am crying for the recognition of Manakkal before it is too late.
They were in a hurry to recognize Sudha who still has years ahead of her...

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

cmlover wrote:Rajesh
While you bewail TRS, I am crying for the recognition of Manakkal before it is too late.
CML
If SKA or SKN is not awarded to a musician, looks like TTK award from academy is the next big thing. Manakkal rangarajan mama got TTK award in 2010. While mAmA has not trained much hence SKA is surely out of reach, if there is a miracle rangarajan mAmA can still get SKN in his 90th birthday.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Minimally he should have been given a Padma award, though he already has the best :)

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits - 31
'Music Competition' : a short story by 'Kalki'

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 31
எங்கள் ஊர் சங்கீதப் போட்டி
‘கல்கி’
http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/02/31.html

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -32

Madurai Somu -4

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 32
மதுரை சோமு - 4

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/02/32.html

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -33

D.K.Pattammal -1

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 33
டி.கே.பட்டம்மாள் -1

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/03/33.html

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Very nice!
Please post the progressive reviews of Kalki on DKP which will give us a historical review of the
evolution of a Great Artiste!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Waiting to read the rest!
Just as DKP's music does in his view, our admiration for Kalki as a music critic grows, with each write-up.

CML,
I think his rasikatvam gets better and better over the years, his keen observation proving to him that DKP is a jewel as he had expected from the start.

And there are some statements there which to this day turn out to be valuable in music and its appreciation.

Humor adds to it all, of course. So there, Subbudu!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Subbudu was occasionally destructive, but Kalki was always constructive!

cacm

Post by cacm »

SUBBUDU WAS 90 PERCENT TRASH & 10 PERCENT O.K. HE SURVIVED BECAUSE HE TAPPED INTO THE IGNORANCE & GENERAL LACK OF EXPERTISE & HONESTY OF THE READERS WHO ELEVATED HIM TO HIS SO CALLED "STATUS".
VKV

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

As he was writing factually , many have become critical of this critic!

See also post 29 at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic. ... 1&start=25
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 28 Mar 2014, 19:05, edited 2 times in total.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks to all.

What happened to the initiative started by this Group to request Vikatan and Kalki and possibly Dinamani to bring out Musical Treasuries ( the music-oriented writings of Kalki and others esp. during 30-50's ) .. I was hoping that members with influence would contact the respective magazine editors and got back some kind of answers...Such collections would have replaced or at least eased my struggles to get scanty info from forgotten past ! :-( I never heard anything further about it....

It is still a worthwhile effort to bring out these books in my humble opinion...and they would sell well also...! Only such books can satisfy the many aspirations of people like me here....interested in the history of music and musicians ! My posts are very tiny attempts to post things which I enjoyed in the past , but which don't seem to be available to music-lovers in one convenient, location! And I don't have all the info I want! And I don't have any way of getting them too! :-(

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Are there copyright issues?
If not those who may still have the old magazines (including the defunct Swadesimitran) can scan those pages and post them here!

cacm

Post by cacm »

"venkatakailasam"As he was writing factually , many have become critical of this critic!
See alo post 29 at http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=37&t=2441
SUBBUDU DID NOT WRITE FACTUALLY; HE was trapped by many musicians like S.B. who DELIBERATELY CHANGED THE ITEMS they played at places like M.A. & he had actually left before end of concert & happily reviewed items that were NOT PLAYED. Actually he DODGED ME 10 times when we were supposed to meet to discuss his reviews of ''66 M.A. MDR CONCERT & SOME OTHER TRASH HE HAD WRITTEN ABOUT LGJ. I can actually PROVE HE WAS CORRUPT as he wrote favourable reviews for a packet of Wilikinson Bldes which I helped some artists BUY in Boston in the seventies.
I am writing this because to me IT IS A BLASPHEMY to mention his name in the company of Kalki etc. VKV X( :-Q :(( :-ss

venkatakailasam

Cacm…

I am sorry..I am not one with you..You are saying something which has not been reported anywhere so far…. does it amount that his reviews were made through thin air?

With due regards to you, I prefer to disagree…

Even kalki has his views while reporting.. showered accolades where they were due and was vitriolic where they deserved condemnation….There was an in The Hindu article about his castigating the themes of films like Gemini's "Samsaram", Raj Kapoor's "Awara", Vijaya Productions' "Patala Bhairavi", while he had a good word for others like N.S. Krishnan's "Nallathambi", C.N. Annadurai's "Velaikkari" and "Avvaiayar" (Gemini). Orthodox people criticized "Velaikkari" and "Nallathambi" for their so-called atheistic undertones…He was also reported to have his own views about SG Kittappa’s disc..

My request is that one should not compare one with the other as both were good in their own way..and we should not become a critic of crictics

cacm

Post by cacm »

I AGREE with you KALKI was quite prejudiced in his reviews. I am NOT talking about that. BUT I CERTAINLY am making a personal comparison as far as HONESTY is concerned and I STAND BY WHAT I WROTE. I did not write about this before as I am NOT INTERERSTED in wasting TIME BUT when things have to be set right I do write. Actually I have a whole file with me in USA. I am not asking ANYONE to agree with me on anything but I do not wish incorrect things go unchallenged if I know something about it. vkv

venkatakailasam

Subbudu’s demise was perhaps most poignantly felt by President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who called on his family with a rose from the Mughal Garden to be placed on his favourite writer’s body, just the way, Subbudu had wished.

Imprints and Images of Indian Film Music remembers P.V.Subramaniam (better known as Subbudu), the legendary dance and music critic on his death anniversary today.
Died on March 29, 2007

He always spoke his mind. Artistes both feared and loved him, the media idolised him, and readers lapped up every comment of his. Subbudu, who has left behind a legacy of words that had the power to make or mar artistes.

Celebrated as much for his felicity with language as for his unflinching criticism of highbrow artistes, Subbudu was the music and dance critic of The Statesman for 60 years. Known as a pioneer in dance and music criticism, he was equally popular for his writings in Tamil journals.

He lived the early part of his life in Burma, where he took an active part in theatre activities and provided musical accompaniment to drama companies.

A harmonium and keyboard player of note, he was also a composer. After his family returned to India in the wake of the upheavals in Burma during World War II, he took up a job in the Union Finance Ministry in New Delhi.

A rare musician with the ability to play Carnatic music on the harmonium, he accompanied well-known musicians and dancers, including the doyenne of Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi, Yamini Krishnamurti.

In the early 1990s, Subbudu was the prominent critic of A.R.Rahman's syncretic music style. He lambasted the maestro for drowning the lyrics with gadgetry.

Subbudu’s demise was perhaps most poignantly felt by President A.P.J. Abdul Kalam, who called on his family with a rose from the Mughal Garden to be placed on his favourite writer’s body, just the way, Subbudu had wished.

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Imprints ... 9464326895

cacm

Post by cacm »

[quote="venkatakailasam"]Image
He always spoke his mind. Artistes both feared and loved him, the media idolised him, and readers lapped up every comment of his. Subbudu, who has left behind a legacy of words that had the power to make or mar artistes.......
THESE STATEMENTS ARE NOT TRUE. HE WAS WELL KNOWN FOR "HITTING BELOW THE BELT" (in boxing parlance) & had some popularity among the semi-knowledgeable readers. He DID NOT HAVE "THE POWER TO MAKE OR MAR ARTISTS" with his words. IF THIS IS TRUE ALMOST ALL THE LEADING VIDWANS/VIDUSHIS OF THE GOLDEN AGE OF TWENTIETH CENTURY CARNATIC MUSIC WOULD NOT BE HAILED AS THEY ARE TODAY. YOUR EXCELLENT CONCERTS FOR HEARING EVERYDAY ARE FROM SUCH ARTISTS...

Celebrated as much for his felicity with language as for his unflinching criticism of highbrow artistes, Subbudu was the music and dance critic of The Statesman for 60 years. Known as a pioneer in dance and music criticism, he was equally popular for his writings in Tamil journals......
HIS "FELICITY WITH LANGUAGE" in fact was quite mediocre.

He lived the early part of his life in Burma, where he took an active part in theatre activities and provided musical accompaniment to drama companies......
WHICH is where he belonged, Providing musical accompaniment to drama companies..

A harmonium and keyboard player of note, he was also a composer. After his family returned to India in the wake of the upheavals in Burma during World War II, he took up a job in the Union Finance Ministry in New Delhi..... HE WAS NOT A HARMONIUM & KEYBOARD PLAYER OF NOTE. He was a mediocre AMATUER LEVEL PLAYER. I have attended his concerts.

A rare musician with the ability to play Carnatic music on the harmonium, he accompanied well-known musicians and dancers, including the doyenne of Bharatanatyam and Kuchipudi, Yamini Krishnamurti.........
THERE WAS NOTHING RARE IN HIS ABILITY TO PLAY CARNATIC MUSIC ON HARMONIIUM. HE COULD HAVE PROMOTED MANY WHO WERE VERY GOOD INCLUDING THE GREAT GRANDSON OF SHYAMA SASTRY WHICH HE DID NOT. HIS ONLY CONTRIBUTION to the trinity was writing a NOTORIOUS TRASH ARTICLE ON M.Dhishithar.
ON THE WHOLE A TYPICAL "CON MAN" AS HE WOULD HAVE BEEN CALLED IN THE WEST. VKV

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Musical Tidbits -34

D.K.Pattammal -2

சங்கீத சங்கதிகள் - 34
டி.கே.பட்டம்மாள் -2

http://s-pasupathy.blogspot.com/2014/04/34.html

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sri.Pasupathy,
Thanks for bringing to our attention MANY EXCELLENT & SALIENT POINTS ABOUT THE GREATS WHO ARE HEROES of those who grew up in those times. SO MANY EXCELLENT & NOW WELL KNOWN TRUTHS ABOUT who are at least angels surrounding the gods of our culture & music.
IT WOULD BE VERY VALUABLE to posterity as well persons who STILL REMEMBER the greats & great events of our times if you publish these as a book under various subject areas.. VKV

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Thanks, VKV.

venkatakailasam

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks Vkailasam for that wonderful collection of musical titbits!