Bhartrhari - Neeti Satakam

vgovindan

Bhartrhari - Neeti Satakam

Post by vgovindan »

Dear viewers,
I am in the process of writing Tamil meanings to Bhartrhari's Neeti Satakam. Initially I depended on the book of Shri MR Kale (Second Edition 1902) for English Meanings. However, Ms Rajani of Veena Jayaraj-Jayasri Group had kindly consented to write meanings in English. Based on her inputs, I have translated the same into Tamil. Towards, this, I have created a blog post - see the link below.

As an experiment, I have done the first 10 Slokas and placed them in the blog. I invite suggestions from viewers for improving the same.

On completion of Neeti Satakam, I intend undertaking Vairagya Satakam also. Subsequently, these will be integrated with my blogs on Trinity.

I await your valuable inputs.

https://neetisataka.blogspot.com/

V Govindan

vgovindan

Re: Bhartrhari - Vairagya Satakam

Post by vgovindan »

Translation of Neeti Sataka is in progress. I have also undertaken translation of Vairagya Satakam. While translating this, I came across an interesting reference on the poets of South (dAkshinAtyAH). The Sloka is reproduced below -

agrE gItaM sarasakavayaH pArSvatO dAkshiNAtyAH
pRshThE lIlAvalayaraNitaM cAmaragrAhiNInAm |
yadyastyEvaM kuru bhavarasAsvAdanE lampaTatvaM
nO cEccEtaH praviSa sahasA nirvikalpE samAdhau || 67 ||

The relevant portion (highlighted) is translated as "poets from South". In the book on the subject 'Niti and Vairagya Satakas of Bhartrhari by MR Kale (1901), the following clarification is given -

"dakshiNa dESE bhavAH .......sarasAH, uttamAH, rasikA vA kavayaH......tEshAmEva victira vastu prabandha nirmANa pATavAditi bhAvaH."

Also -
dakshiNa + tyak - meaning 'of that place'; poets of Deccan who were masters of the vaidarbhi style of composition which is regarded as the best, The vaidarbhi style has ten qualities ........described it as mAdhurya-vyanjakaiH-varNaiH-racitA lalitAtmikA .....avRttiH-alpavRttirvA (having no or very few compounds) vaidarbhI-rIti....."

The following blog site lists the ten qualities of vaidarbhI (belonging to vidarbha) -

https://savitanarayan.blogspot.com/2019 ... poetry.htm

I may mention that Bhagavatam is stated to have been composed on the banks of Tamraparni River.