carnatic music teacher in bay area

To teach and learn Indian classical music
manikand28

Post by manikand28 »

With Vijayadasami coming up this month, I am sure many people are trying to find music teachers in bay area. I am interested to learn from fellow rasikas as to your opinions on teachers in this area. There are many teachers who live here, so it is a very difficult decision. Any thougts appreciated.
- teachers that live here to my knowledge are : (not including skype/remote teachers like NS)

1) Latha Sriram
2) Jayashree Varadarajan
3) Gayathri Satya
4) Ashok Subramaniam
5) Preeta sheshadri
6) Asha Ramesh
7) Jayanthi Umesh
8) Latha Ganapathy

Interested in putting a strong foundation for a child. Not sure what is the best way to select a teacher, is it considered insulting to ask questions to teachers of their style/method of teaching?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manikand28, While feeling the responsibility of your own kid in getting him/her a strong foundation in good music it should not, in fact, be considered as insulting the teachers to ask such questions. Had the best way to select a good teacher been made easy either to the aspirants or their parents the entire music field would have been in a different way. At the first instance the level of the rhythmical instinct your kid has to be assessed in this regard. If it is satisfactory then only you can proceed. If not, you have to initiate him/her to get some rhythmical base and after getting it to the reasonable level you can proceed. Of course, nowadays, no music teacher prefers this as much of his concentration remains in his earnings only and mostly all of them are used to teach music to any aspirant they come across irrespective of his/her instintive talents. amsharma

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Shri Manikand,
IMHO Asha Ramesh and Jayashree Varadarajan are the best. Anuradha sridhar also falls in the list. But one may have to wait to get an OK from her.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A student of mine in Australia who moved to San Jose is now learning with Hema Sista. He seems to be making good progress with her. She sets clear homework practice schedules for her students which I think is a good thing.

manikand28

Post by manikand28 »

thanjavooran wrote:Shri Manikand,
IMHO Asha Ramesh and Jayashree Varadarajan are the best. Anuradha sridhar also falls in the list. But one may have to wait to get an OK from her.
I went to Jayashree Varadaraja's 25th anniversary event in bay area and she has over 240 students now. Looks like she never returns phone calls but has a valid phone with greetings. People parents told me you have to call her 100 or so times and essentially beg. I dont think with so much competition and so many teachers, I want to go with her route. Looks pretty arrogant to me that she does not even return a call and takes students only through recommendation (suparsai), On stage everything is rosy but I am not too sure if the artform demands such attitude. She may be busy, so she can say she is not accepting new students, but she is accepting.

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

This reminds me of the famous quoting

Vidhya [ Na ] dhathati vinayam

thanjavooran

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

My disciple Hariprasad Devanath who is living in the Bay area is also a good choice.
If you had not found out the teacher yet,I can suggest Hari to your child.

Hari is my disciple and his greatest asset is his patience.

Neyveli Santhanagopalan.

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Hi,

You can try www.acharyanet.com. It has been launched recently with the purpose to help students abroad learn quality music with good foundations. You can check that out as well.

Regards
Sangeetha

vasant

Re:

Post by vasant »

vidyaarthi wrote:My disciple Hariprasad Devanath who is living in the Bay area is also a good choice.
If you had not found out the teacher yet,I can suggest Hari to your child.

Hari is my disciple and his greatest asset is his patience.

Neyveli Santhanagopalan.
Dear Sir: Can you give me the contact information for Sri Hariji. I wish to enroll my son. thanks.

sowmya123

Re: carnatic music teacher in bay area

Post by sowmya123 »

hi all,
i am looking for some good carnatic music teachers for my 4 year old daughter in the bay area.. any pointers appreciated.. i see a lot of teachers like jayashree varadharajan, anuradha sriram but not able to reach them through their website or any other form..