Carnatic classes online- Problems

To teach and learn Indian classical music
VRV

Carnatic classes online- Problems

Post by VRV »

Hello Everyone,
I know there are many teachers who teach Carnatic music online. I know each teacher has their own method of teaching. Has anyone had the experience where the teacher does not turn on the webcam, or send notations for the classes, or send recordings of the songs? I met 2 teachers like this, and would just like to know if it is just normal, because I am a beginner, and it is not easy to learn talam without video, and not all notations can be found online.

Thanks,
Meera

sreevin25

Re: Carnatic classes online- Problems

Post by sreevin25 »

No Meera. In fact, there are so many online teaching classes there are that there needs to be set a protocol for that soon.

You should ask for notations, webcam and recordings. Many teachers might say they don't need a webcam until alankaram. And they would also say there is no software with them to record. Though, I can't say they should send recording, I would suggest you to look for a teacher who can do all the 3 mentioned.

Not only this, all teachers have their own rate card as well - though we can't force everyone to have same price, we can make our own choice whether we want to take up from them or not.

Which stage of classes are you in? Which part of the world are u located at?

If you are still having issues, msg me offline, I shall recommend you one of the teachers that I personally have contact with.

Meeraj

Post by Meeraj »

Thanks for your reply, Sreevin25,
I have learnt till Varnams currently, and I am looking for a good teacher. I have been really unsuccessful, because of the problems above. Plus as you said, there are teachers who are good and I cannot afford:-(
I don't know how to msg you offline, wish I could. I'm located in the US.

- Meera

mkranthikiran

Post by mkranthikiran »

Hi Meera..I teach music online and I havent faced any problems as such. In such cases, along with the video streaming class, you must get the recording of the lesson in order to avoid delays which may effect the talam part. You can contact me personally if you are interested in taking advanced lessons online. My mail id mkranthikiran@yahoo.com

naaree

Post by naaree »

Try oovoo (both ends) or try and record it on your mp3 player. or if doing thru skpye download this TODAY. http://www.giveawayoftheday.com/g-recorder/

natakapriya

Post by natakapriya »

On Skype, there is an free downloadable extra called Pamela Call Recorder. I've used it in the past, and it has worked out well for me.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, Meera, As I am not physically able to do things efficiently at this age of 73 I did never invite the aspirants to teach them online. However, I entertain very few aspirants only who have come to me on their own and guide them properly with the aids I have brought out. As you wrote each teacher has this own method of teaching and the criteria of it should be only to make the process quick having a time bound and result oriented plan. Fortunately, unlike any other teacher and only by the grace of the Almighty, I was able to formulate a novel method of teaching of which all the details are furnished in the first sub-thread ‘AMS Easy Methods – 2007 CD Teaching and Learning Methods’ in the main thread ‘Music School’. If you are interested you can down this CD from http://www.sangeethamshare.org/chandra/ ... hods-2007/ free of any charges. You can follow the instructions contained in it and post your doubts, any, in thread only. amsharma

saketashiva

Post by saketashiva »

Hello Meera,

Were you able to find a good teacher? We were in the US and my daughter was taking lessons and continuing under a teacher who is extremely nice and patient. Even after returning to India I am continuing classes with her online. we get a regular and disciplined class with recordings and notations. She teaches theory too as she is a Gold medallist in MA Music.
The teacher I am talking about is a regular performer in all Sabhas all over India as a violinist and a vocalist.

If you are still looking for a teacher and are really keen, let me know so that I can ask my daughter's teacher's consent.

Best wishes for a bright musical future.

bhavana

Post by bhavana »

hi meera,

Im bhavana student of MS Jayshri Prakash of Shrikara School of Music. She takes online classes for advanced as well as beginers online. She has several students all over the world. She has a paid version of skype and sightspeed so there will be no issues of delayed voice recordings. SHe gives complete notations, Lyrics and recordings of each class free of charge. She is an extremely nice and approachable person. You can contact her at

shivamshakthi@gmail.com or visit shrikara.com

rgds bhavana

nadhasudha

Post by nadhasudha »

saketashiva,
I would be very interested in learning from your child's teacher. Is it possible for you to provide me the details?