Skype classes - what is the class fee?

To teach and learn Indian classical music
padmapada

Skype classes - what is the class fee?

Post by padmapada »

Namaskaram everyone,

Just wanted to find out what is the usual class fee for a one hour Skype session? I am looking for an intermediate level vocal class (I have learnt several varnams and kritis; looking for guidance on ragam, swaram, nerval) and am getting various quotes for this and it is quite a task to evaluate the teaching level. :)
I request you to share (if you are comfortable) what you pay and what level you are at. Please do not mention the teacher's name.
Thanks!

vasanthakokilam

Re: Skype classes - what is the class fee?

Post by vasanthakokilam »

I hope members post some real numbers from their own personal experiences. Yes, leave the teacher's name out of it.

Here is some data based on search results.

This article http://articles.economictimes.indiatime ... e-teaching states
"Some students pay up to $50 (Rs 2,200) an hour .... and most pay $20"

http://chandrakantha.com/teachers/teach ... orgia.html
Hidusthani: one-on-one basis. Fee:$40.00 per session of 45 minutes.

http://musicclassonline.in/Fees-Music-L ... s-Free.php
"foreign based students: $69/months for 4 online classes

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

AFAIK they charge $20.00 per hour at NA...

padmapada

Post by padmapada »

vasanthakokilam, thanks for the search results.

cmlover, I learnt that some teachers in the Chicago area charge $25.00 for a 45 minute session.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

The Economic Times article was very interesting. Although I know that my teacher uses skype to keep up with students around the world (He is even teaching students in India from London, turning the usual perception on its head!) I'd never thought of it as a serious way of learning other than keeping up between classes. After reading the experiences of V Suresh and his students, I can see that it certainly can be a serious learning medium. Suresh seems to be very at home with the technology, and with exploring the technology to improve its effectiveness. Perhaps this is one of the necessities, rather than just accepting simple video-call function on basic equipment.

As well as good use of technology, it must require an ability to express things in words, and this is something that not all teachers, who are instructing by physical contact, necessarily have. Even then, there are limits. I suspect that RKSK would be as good at explanation as anyone, but, as he says in the article, he needs to hold the bowing hand, and he cannot do that over the internet.

Anyway, this has nothing to do with the actual question asked --- but thanks to the questioner and the the answerers for making me think about this :)

mohan

Post by mohan »

I know a few kids learning via Skype. They tend to turn the video off since it is generally unreliable. This also seems to improve the audio quality.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Some things have to be visually demonstrated. However, one thing that has put me off skype for communications is that, compared to the small, simple, high-quality voice communication application that it began as, it has now become a monster. Ownership by Microsoft is unlikely to reverse that trend. But, where it makes possible that which would not have been, then I'm not knocking it.

padmapada

Post by padmapada »

Nick, I understand what you are talking about - the student needs to be at a certain point to pick up the nuances which are usually lost in online media. I am a dancer and have been learning in the mid-west USA for over a decade now. Recently, I moved to the west coast and now I continue to be in touch with my guru via Skype classes. It is exasperating at times - so on some occasions, record portions of abhinaya and send that for my teacher to review and send me feedback. IMHO, for music or dance, the physical presence of a guru is necessary for the first few years. This is for children or adults, but applies all the more to children as their attention needs to be held by the teacher throughout the class.

msakella

Post by msakella »

applies all the more to children as their attention needs to be held by the teacher throughout the class
Yes, absolutely it is true. Their attention needs to be held by the efficient teacher not only throughout the class of 1 or 2 hrs. but also for most of the remaining hours of the day even in his/her regular practice even in the absence of the teacher. Unless the efficient and responsible teacher looks beyond his/her class hours and make plans accordingly for the practice of the aspirant basing upon the aspirant’s instinctive abilities the teacher cannot make this process of teaching ‘time-bound and result-oriented’. That is why, in general, the aspirants are compelled to learn these arts for a number of years. amsharma