Carnatic Vocal and Mridangam classes in toronto

To teach and learn Indian classical music
GVR2004

Carnatic Vocal and Mridangam classes in toronto

Post by GVR2004 »

I have recently moved into Toronto, more specifically Mississauga, staying near the square one area. Have been learning vocal and mridangam before I came here - please let me know of good Gurus who teach vocal, mridangam and violin in and around Mississauga or Toronto. How do they take classes - Is it one to one at the student's home or is there a group class / sabha - I am aware of Bharati Kala Manram - but it is quite far off from my place.
Any suggestions / guidance on Gurus or learning vocal, mridangam and violin in the area where I am, are most welcome.

Thanks in Advance,
Venkat

mahavishnu

Re: Carnatic Vocal and Mridangam classes in toronto

Post by mahavishnu »

Rohin Iyer (disciple of SRJ) would be an excellent teacher. There are many other vocal teachers that come during the summer for advanced lessons including Smt Raji Gopalakrishnan (TMT/SSI school), Smt Geetha Rajasekhar (DKP school). Smt Radhika Anand is also an accomplished local teacher, she is a disciple of Smt Charumathi Ramachandran (MLV/GNB school). So, depending on skill level and patantara, you can mind many top calibre teachers in Toronto.

The best way to contact them would be through one of their shishyas, the BKM or the SVBF, during one of the manram events. Unfortunately, I do not have contact info for them. I am also not sure how many of them offer classes near Mississauga. Our forumite Abhishek Iyer (user handle: abhishek) might be able to connect you to some of them, if you contacted him through the forum email.

There are a few mridangam teachers: Sri Gowrishankar (also others from Bhaktavatsalam's school) and Sri S.Surenther offer classes in their established schools. I don't think Sri Trichy Sankaran will be taking on any new students, certainly not ones without advance standing.

Hope this helps.

GVR2004

Re: Carnatic Vocal and Mridangam classes in toronto

Post by GVR2004 »

Thanks a lot, Mahavishnu. That is really very helpful. Will mail to Abhishek also.