Music - Teaching Methodology

To teach and learn Indian classical music
msakella

Music - Teaching Methodology

Post by msakella »

(Administrator Note: This thread was split off from another thread related to Acharyanet )

Dear sister-member, asangeetha,

Yesterday, in Andhra Pradesh, in a ghastly incident of the leak of natural-gas, in an area of 2000 acres, thousands of trees, hundreds of cattle and birds, more than 20 people are burnt to death and more than 30 or 40 have remained physically handicapped due to a human error. This is practically visible to everyone. But, in the same manner, due to the ineffective teaching of our music, it is not at all visible to any human eye and you do not know to how many people the successful certificates of music-examinations are being issued every year but many of them are wantonly made incapacitated by the ineffective and supervision-less teachings of the teachers. Having personally worked in such music-institutions for 35 long years and having very closely associated with many such music-institutions and music-departments of several universities I very well know than any other person on earth about such ghastly details by which my heart always remains burning until my last breath. Only to minimize this ghastly hazard I have relentlessly been working in my own way which can never be understood properly by any of our musicians on the earth.

Most unfortunately, even the professional musicians are unable to properly diagnose their own illogicality or irrationality behind their teachings of even the primary exercises leave alone other things. They are unable to do so as they all are more of with performer’s perspective and far lesser with teacher’s perspective. By all this, very sadly, they all are unable to find in which way they all are unnecessarily taxing the poor and ignorant aspirant right from the basic level. I shall hereunder give you some examples of your own esteemed website.

According to your own syllabus you are teaching Alankaras in all the 35 Suladi-talas with all the five gatis. Along with the single-even-Chaturashra-gati it is always desirable to teach even the minimum odd-gati which is Trisra (3). We also initiate our kids learn this minimum Trisra-gati but we leave the choice of learning other odd-gatis to the kid only. More over, we initiate our kids learn this to use it in Adi-tala only to make it easier to the kid but not even in the seven Suladi-talas. Is it sensible and logical enough to tax the kid learning all the five-gatis and that too in all the Alankaras of 35 Suladi-talas? (in such case you could have very conveniently included even the 108-talas too) As a performer I may do so mercilessly but as a teacher I cannot and should not do so.

In the same manner, even in respect of teaching those 28-Gitas of your syllabus, there are some very important aspects to note. We initiate the kids to learn only 6-Gitas, in the Ragas Shankarabharana, Mohana, Shuddhasaveri, Kalyani, Malahari (not four but only one) only including one Lakshana-gita in the Raga Shreeranjani. We utilize these Gitas only to give proper acquaintance to the kid with all the 12 plain-notes of our music as none of the Gitas is ever allowed to sing in any concert. As a teacher as I do not think it is sensible and logical enough to initiate a small kid run fast in the initial stages of learning walking I initiate the kid learn these Gitas with only plain-notes but not with any Kampita or Gamaka.

Again in the same manner, even in respect of Varnas where the different oscillations are to be learnt, we initiate the kid learn only 9 select Varnas in Natakuranji, Kambhoji, Darbar, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Begada, Todi, Saveri and Bhairavi basing upon very strict logic in learning the different kinds of oscillations. In our music, while the Sadharana-gandhara and Kaishiki-nishada have the maximum oscillative-range in relation with the two varieties of their lower notes the Shuddha-madhyama has a little-bit lesser-range than them with its single lower note. That is why we give high importance to the intricacies of these oscillations through these 9 select Varnas but not to the Varnas in different Ragas for name sake. I am absolutely unable to find any logic in teaching them the Varnas in ragas Abhogi, Mohana, Shankarabharana, Hamsadhavani, Saranga, Vasantha, Pantuvarali, Devagandhari, Kalyani and Bhairavi. We leave the choice of learning Varnas in other Ragas to the kid only after properly equipping him/her in more than 90% of the oscillations.

In our modern and qualitative system, even right from the first day of learning our music, unbelievably, the kid learns more than 90% of the things on his/her own even in the absence of the teacher. We never teach even a single Kriti/Kirthana to the kid but we initiate him/her learn what he/she needs on his/her own. By all this, unbelievably, the process is made very fast, efficient and knowledgeable unlike in the age-old quantitative method in teaching.

However, in which way the people residing in fertile lands with plenty of water could not only utilize the water but also waste it abundantly the Chennaites may be in a position to learn music very leisurely for 10 or 15 or even more years. But, for people like us residing in music-deserts every drop of water is invaluable. As your system becomes suicidal to our people, here in our institution, Swarabhangima at Secunderabad, we have planned our system in a suitable and beneficial manner and getting amazing results. We do not teach a number of Varnas or masterpieces but we make them learn them on their own. But, in this system, a brilliant kid, even before the completion of hardly one year, like the 11 year old grand-daughter Chi.Shreenidhi of Shri S.Nageshwaran of Chennai ( 2010), can very easily finish of learning 9 select Varnas and render intricate mathematical Swarakalpana along with brief Ragalapana.

As you have already started even a website with a very great heart to properly help our aspirants all over the globe in this respect I would like to make an earnest appeal to you in this regard. I do not at all suggest to stop what you have all along been doing and only to do whatever I tell in this respect. My point is if you do all these things basing upon strict logic and rationale than following the tradition it truly helps a lot more than what you have already been doing truthfully. amsharma

MVRamanamurthy

Re: An update of new lessons added to Acharyanet

Post by MVRamanamurthy »

Er. Sowmya Acharya: Casrnatic Music at Cross Roads?. You being an engineer can you glean what all about it from my published invited article in the International Journal of Music and Dance?
Visit: : http://www.academicjournals.org/article ... murthy.pdf

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

To munirao2001,

Our goal is to do exactly that, and we will continue to strive along those lines. Thanks for your input!

To Akella Sir,

I am very much aware of your immense efforts to introduce a whole new concept of teaching in Carnatic Music to children. This has happened many times in history when great thinkers would deviate from the main path to think out of the box and come out with a more efficient system. In order to comment on anything, one must fully understand. I am only a student of music but I am interested to know more. I have heard recordings of some of your teaching methods. However I would like to see the end results. Kindly share any recordings of students rendition of various aspects of manodharma and krti renditions if you have some time. I would be interested to see how students could be trained on some advanced concepts in such a short time. I don't doubt that it can be done, children sometimes do so much more better on creative aspects than older students. Looking forward to hearing from you.

To MVRamanamurthy

I would need some time to go through this, thanks for sharing. will get back after reading.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Mainly due to the illogicality and irrationality in the methods of teaching of the music-teachers our poor and ignorant aspirants all over the globe are facing umpteen problems in learning our music. Expecting that you, having a website itself handy, can do more help to these aspirants by removing such illogicality or irrationality of your syllabus, I have mentioned very few important basic defects of your syllabus by which our aspirants are deliberately and mercilessly taxed right from the basic level. But, even in the high interests of our poor and ignorant aspirants, instead of rectifying them, you wrote that ‘this happened many times in history’. Now, at my age of 76 years, as an elderly and experienced person than many of you and also having very regularly worked for 35 long years in an educational-set-up of the Govt. Music Colleges in our State I can very well tell that your statement is absolutely incorrect. For the first time in the history, even right from 1992, I have supplied several xerox copies of my notated book containing the entire syllabi of Certificate and Diploma courses along with pre-recorded cassettes to a number of students every year and, for the first time in the history, even brought out my another book, Sangita Svararaga Sudha on Svarakalpana and Ragalapana along with 9 pre-recorded cassettes in 2001 (now with a pre-recorded CD). None of your ‘great-thinkers’ had ever did so or uploaded CDs like me to any website for the free-use of the aspirants or uploaded more than 700 videos to youtube like me for the free-use of the aspirants all over the globe or had ever encouraged the aspirants in utilizing the modern gadgets like mp3 players or ipods or CDs in the process of their learning. If you are honestly interested in helping our aspirants in a very strict, logical and rational way you can go through the 30 plus play-lists of ‘youtube.com/user/msakella’ to have a picture of our modern qualitative proven system of learning music. Even then if you cannot understand it there is no point in trying to make you understand.

In fact, who ever gets reasonable control over the rhythm and the note can very easily produce his/her own (manodharma) music and we properly initiate the aspirant in getting this control through different aids. But, unfortunately in our music, each and every Tom & Dick talks very high of the illusory Manodharma for hours together or even writes umpteen pages. They all do this only to attract and threaten the aspirants much but never give any road-map along with the respective aids to help the aspirants in ably facing this task.

Since many centuries all our musicians have always been used to sing or play themselves and make the aspirants also sing or play along with them. They all are used to think that this is the only way of teaching music. After having learnt and all along taught in this age old method for more than 40 years, only by the grace of the Almighty, I could realize that this is the worst way of teaching music to the aspirants always making them dependents upon the teachers, could simultaneously bring out the modern qualitative system of learning music and also, at the same time, got rid of the life of a music-cheater for the first time in my life. Thus, unlike any other music-teacher on the globe, right from the first day of the music-lesson, we have been used to teach very less but initiate the kid learn music mostly basing upon the different aids thus minimizing the dependency of the aspirant upon the teacher. Thus, we don’t teach them any of these compositions but make them learn them on their own.

As elsewhere I wrote, only by a serious analysis, any efficient and honest person can very easily understand that even though the great Dronacharya or Mahabharata had always taught one and all in the same manner his only son Ashwatthama, the indirect disciple Ekalavya and the direct disciple Arjuna only made a mark in their art. In my umpteen experiments in this respect I could ultimately find that the aspirant’s role only makes his/her the best in the process of learning and the teacher’s role is very limited. But, all our musicians, irrespective of their stature, vehemently oppose this statement lest they lose their glamorous seat of the so called ‘Guru” in this art.

In fact, had I guessed your adamant attitude in rectifying the illogicality and irrationality of your syllabus I wouldn’t have taken the trouble of writing my last post. Except safeguarding the high interests of our kids from various parts of the world in properly learning our music I do not need to have any other interest in convincing other jaundice-eyed persons about my proven system of learning our music.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hearty congratulations for the encouragement you are receiving from our fellow-forum-members for efficiently taxing the poor and ignorant aspirants by teaching them the illogical and irrational syllabus without any obstruction from any corner.

In fact, without any exception, we all have been taught in the same method of teaching. Again, even while teaching my students in the Govt. Colleges of Music, fortunately in the absence of any kind of academic supervision in my entire service, I have taught them in the same manner. But, only after 10 or 12 years in my service, basing upon the poor results only I could somehow realize that I was not teaching them in a proper manner. Later on, basing upon the end-results I have gradually modified my methods of teaching and by the time of my retirement I was acclaimed as one of the best teachers in violin in our State. But, even later, only after 5 years after my retirement, only by the grace of the almighty, in my deep introspection, I could find that this is the worst and suicidal method in teaching our music by which less than 20% of the aspirants only could raise even up to the average level. Later, by very deep analysis, I could formulate a system in teaching supplemented by different kinds of aids by which more than 80% of the aspirants get higher standards within a very short span of 3 or 4 years. Ultimately by this, fortunately, I am able to implement this in a very limited scale in our institution, Swarabhangima, at Secunderabad and trying to propagate it in my own level with all kinds of obstructions you are well aware. Pitiably enough, while even professional teachers are unable to properly understand this modern method in learning our music there is no point in the non-professionals in not understanding them.

However, in spite of all the above, you will certainly get such abundant support from all these people even though you all are able to successfully tax the poor and ignorant aspirants to the maximum. With all the best wishes, amsharma.

P.S: Please never try to get into any open discussion of either the illogicality or the irrationality of your syllabus with people like me which certainly spills all your beans out.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

msakella garu
With due respects to you, your 'P.S: Please never try to get into any open discussion of either the illogicality or the irrationality of your syllabus with people like me which certainly spills all your beans out.'. What you and team of 'svarabhingama' is a better contribution rather than the statements out of deep resentment and dejection out of not getting the constructive support to your innovative system of music education and appreciation. With vidvans, maestros, rasikas more in number becoming part of Karnatik Music fraternity, acceptance will happen, naturally, in due course of time.

munirao2001

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear Munirao garu, Pranams.

I did never compel anybody to simply accept what I write. I always tell each and everybody to sit together for open, logical and rational discussions of each and every aspect of teaching or learning our music to bring out a well standardised system of learning. But, instead, people are claiming that they are ‘motivating students to learn high calibre music with a standardized syllabus’ but readily taxing them with illogical and irrational syllabus wasting their invaluable time, energy and money.

As you are a soft-speaking person and, fortunately, you have not taken our music as profession you are well saved in many ways by remaining on the shore and to merely observe the people struggling in many ways being in the neck-deep waters. Even though you are also interested in serving the cause of our music you always want to remain un-controversial which is not possible with many of these hypocrites.

To tell the fact, presently, as all either performers or teachers are much of performer’s perspective and far lesser of teacher’s perspective none of them is able to understand even what I am speaking leave alone doing. On the other hand, they all are unable to enter into any discussion in this respect due to their own ego problem lest it affects their own image. As my main aim is only to serve our society efficiently, honestly and sincerely even at this fag end of my life I don’t think that I have an image at all to get affected. But, as all others are either legends or maestros or experts or Sangita Kalanidhis or Sangita Kalacharyas or Sangita Siromanis or Sangita Samrats etc., etc., they all have their own image which obstructs them to proceed with any logical or rational discussion. Being an ordinary teacher I am always open and ready to participate in any logical and rational discussion in this respect and none of them is ready to come out to participate in such discussions.

Even when I very clearly brought out the illogicality or irrationality of three very important basic points of the syllabus of ‘acharyanet’ the sister-member, Chi. Sowmya Acharya simply beat around the bush but very intelligently skipped off those points and asked me to produce some videos of my students singing Manodharma and Krits.

Most unfortunately, in our music, each and every Tom & Dick becomes ready to speak or write volumes of our illusory Manodharma, which is but natural of each and every individual in his/her own way like in speaking or eating or bathing or walking, but nobody gives any road-map or aids to arrive at that task. Just a couple of days back a maestro came here and gave a Lecture-demonstration on Manodharma Sangita for 3 hours in a music department. Ultimately, even though he did not give any roadmap to arrive at that task I enjoyed his English language well. If even such maestros do in this manner without minding their duties and fulfilling their responsibilities what is the fate of the poor and ignorant aspirants.

amsharma

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qo4OyhSglmA
:-*
This is getting just too weary .What are we discussing ? Higgs Boson ?

All of us have been learners and also teachers in our respective streams of life .

To make a mess of ones own career (admittedly ) of 35 years is one thing .
To stuff it down the throat of the world is another.

Is chivalry dead ? Is there nothing called aesthetics in CM.Or in dialogs
Is CM JUST ABOUT RUSHING KIDS THROUGH EXERCISES AND PROPPING UP ON THE PODIUM ?

Is the silence of majority being taken for granted,
i beg of the mods.
The OP has to be given a token of respect in not allowing threads to get hijacked

http://felix.physics.sunysb.edu/~allen/Jokes/bohr.html

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

varsha wrote:Is the silence of majority being taken for granted
-do-
The damage is done already.
The atmosphere has become so hostile and confrontational that many members – especially Musicians and Teachers - have stopped participating.

asangeetha

Post by asangeetha »

Dear Pratyaksham Bala,

Thankyou. I hope to continue to use this thread to keep everyone informed about our developments.

Dear Varsha,

I sincerely hope the same too. Hope the moderators can help keep the discussion within acceptable limits and limit to the subject being discussed.

msakella

Post by msakella »

In my above post No.3, among many others, I have raised only three very important points of which some items have unjustifiably been included in the syllabus of ‘acharyanet’ to illogically and irrationally tax the poor and ignorant aspirants. And when questioned none of the persons concerned did even answer to my queries leave alone giving the justification in prescribing them in the syllabus. Even this I am again raising neither to point out their unjustifiable act nor for my personal aggrandizement at this old age but absolutely to save the kids from this harmful act.

By all the prevailing trends I am very well aware that so many people are now ready to find fault with me in one way or the other in this respect than honestly answering to my above queries. However, I shall be very thankful to all of them if any one of them, at the least, or any legend or maestro or expert of our Karnataka music all over the globe comes out and give justifiable answers to my queries even in the high interests of our kids.

amsharma

msakella

An update of new lessons added to Acharyanet

Post by msakella »

Thanks a lot to the Moderators for the proper action taken in this respect.

Dear sister-member, asangeetha, I sincerely feel very sorry if I did hurt you in any manner. I do not have any intention to hurt anybody in any manner or to find fault with anybody.

You all are doing a very commendable job of helping the aspirants learning our music. But, as per my experience, knowingly or un-knowingly there is every scope of taxing these aspirants in one manner or the other. If we, all the music-teachers, sit and discuss the things properly we will certainly become able to remove any illogicality or irrationality in our methods in teaching them. In my view this has never been done honestly or sincerely in the past. I never tell anybody to follow my methods only. You follow your method but try your best to remove the illogicality or irrationality to serve the cause better. I shall certainly co-operate with you in each and every possible manner in this noble cause.

Hope you will take the lead along with our brother, Chi. Chitraveena Ravikiran and other Vidwans and Vidushis in doing the needful in this respect at the earliest. amsharma

sastrydevarakonda

Re: Music - Teaching Methodology

Post by sastrydevarakonda »

Namaste to members of Rasikas.org,
I was posting in the Vidyarthi column of General Discussion, as I was asked to shift my postings to this slot by respectable senior member, Iam shifting the recent my post to this column.

I would like to share my music experiences, specifically to benefit my music colleagues those who have been in the learning process for the past decades or more and searching for a platform to land safely, with the sole motive to imbibe some music.
What I understand is that, if we all make the LAYA exercises namely- from the defined AMS easy methods, the 3-4-5; and 4-5-7 in chaturasra and thisra gati, definetely we all will be able to climb few steps towards making our music concepts strong.
what we have been finding the difficulty even in creating - Half Avruttam of Swarakalpana - that too simple -4 kriyas ( 16 swaras), we were finding so tough to do so much maths to arrive at the figure - 16 swaras/4kriyas for half avrutta.

I feel this can be simplified with the 3-5-7 version in Chaturasra gati, that too the first version of '3' in chaturasra gati, we start thinking about this, without bothering for the mathematics - it can easily provide half avrutta, one full avrutta and one and half avrutta.
This version strarts with ' Ta Ki Ta ;Ta Ki Ta ;Ta Ki Ta; Ta Ki Ta ( if I consider this four Ta Ki Ta's as one phrase- that is answering for three kriyas +one Ki Ta Ta Ka = will give one Half Avrutta.
If similar two phrases are rendered + two Ki Ta Ta Ka will answer for one full Avrutta.
Otherwise, as such this version- will complete on its own with only Ta Ki Ta (3 word phrase) for one and half avrutta.
We can also continue the same for Three Avuttas.

Since this Phrase formation can easily take 2,3,4,6- swara phrases - by thinking different combinations - holding on to the main version '3' in chaturasra gati - we can create a very good flows.
This we all can observe the framing in any Aditala Varnas- starting from Pallavi to till the completion of Charanas.

What I would like convey, by just practicing the '3' in Chaturasra gati - we can streamline our swara kalpana part, there by it paves way for making our krihis strong, because we trying to build our inherent Laya part strong. Without much thinking, if we are able to create - the Swarakalapana - then we will be able preserve what we learnt so far, otherwise we can not hold any music learnt in the past.
Once we are sure about this part and able to render fluently some Swara flows, then only we will be able to present the same thing on the VEENA otherwise, we will not be able to do justice with the instrument.
Thanks to AMS easy methods for this wonderful creation - Sastry

msakella

Re: Music - Teaching Methodology

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, munirao garu, Pranams.

Elsewhere in one of my posts I have already mentioned that the egoistic and conservative temperaments of the people will not allow them to find the logical or rational aspects of the things and their benefits to the society. In my extensive experiments on the methods in learning our music I have come across many of such facts which are proved every time beyond any doubt.

In respect of the umpteen illogical and irrational aspects of the syllabus of ‘acharyanet’ even though I have raised my objection in respect of only three very important basic points in my post dated 29-06-2014 no one is bothered either to justify their action or to modify the syllabus accordingly even after the lapse of a fortnight even in the high interests of the poor and ignorant aspirants. In the meantime, funnily, while one of their supporters wrote that the respective answers were already given which is not true, another wrote that musicians and music teachers have already stopped participating in these discussions due to this hostile and confrontational atmosphere of the forum as if I am the real cheater and culprit in this affair and still another felt weariness. But, pitiably and very sadly, while we have umpteen legends or maestros or experts and each and everybody is very busily engaged in his/her own affairs nobody is bothered to look into the facts and do the needful immediately to save the poor and ignorant aspirants from this precarious condition. This is their methodology. This reminds me the “KALIYUGA’. amsharma