Teaching/Learning Karnataka Violin

To teach and learn Indian classical music
msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh mourthy, Glad to see your letter and to know that my services are helpful for our people. I shall definitely try to play all the remaining Varnas and Svarajathi one after the other, in instalments at the least, and upload them as usual. I have already told my disciple to play the exercises you have asked but, he, being very busy with his music concerts, is trying to find time to fulfill it. It may take some time and you have to bear with me.
The left-hand finger technique of the Violin must always be taught individually only but not collectively at all as the teaching differs from person to person. More over, in one way, the incapability of understanding and following of the student always makes the teacher always think some other way to make the student understand. In this process only I have invented a number of exercises and in this way many of my students have become my Gurus in making me invent novel methods in teaching. That is why I am always interested to observe in which way my students are doing things. If possible try to send a video clipping of your practice session of all the exercises. With best wishes, amsharma.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Sharmaji,

I am back home late in the evening and nice to see your reply. Thank you for the video clippings once again. I understand quite well the pains taken by you and your interests for the students. As i said earlier your efforts would definitely reach people in some way or other and woudl be a treasure to the posterity. In fact I showed the video clippings to my guru who is as old and as experienced as you and he was moved by your efforts really.

Thanks for considering my request for brigha and gmamka exercises. since they are the embellishment to the playing I am curious to know your style of playing them. this could be beneficial for playing varnams and kirthanams more beautifully. but no urgency , your students can take their own time for this .

I have one another suggestion i.e, it would be helpful if you mention the pitch in which you play the varnams like E or whatever... so that it could be easy for the students to practice along with your video clippings .

I shall send you the video clippings as soon as I coudl make it .

Regards,
Ganesh

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh mourthy, I am happy to know that my efforts are approved even by the elderly and experienced people like your Guruji and becoming fruitful gradually. It is very difficult to recognize and accept our own defects and, generally, our Gurus only will be able to detect our defects and guide us properly. In the same manner, even for their own benefit at the least, the aspirants must send me their video clippings of their practice to have my timely guidance and proceed further and further successfully without wasting their precious time and energy. In regard to the pitch of my Violin it is either D # or E. With best wishes, amsharma

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Dear Sharmaji,

Yes my guruji was really moved by your efforts and he only repents he cannot do any such service for lack of english knowledge and computer knowledge. both are essential though.
I am really blessed to have a guruji who is as experienced as you in music and who had been also a top notch accompanist and accompanied artistes like semmangudi, MLV, Balamurali, flute mali and every other top artistes of yesteryear. He still continues to do concerts but slowed down because of his age. I am fortunate that he could guide me step by step vigilantly. Alas I am unfortunate many a times because of my paucity of time but I am working hard really in spite of my demanding job.

About the video you want from me I shall try to send you as soon as I can and you can review it and I respect you as much as I respect my guruji. But I have dvd camcorder which has to be converted to some other format for transfer over net. I shall work it out when I find time.

Regards,

Ganesh

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh mourthy, Nowadays it is very difficult to find such a Guruji like yours who guides you step by step vigilantly. No doubt, you are really blessed for this. Try to send the video clipping at your leisure. With best wishes, amsharma.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

dear sharmaji , it is been a long time since you came to this site i guess . Hope you are in good health . expecting your updates .

sbala

Post by sbala »

Ganesh,
Sharmaji is on his way to his native place for personal work. Keep posting any questions you might have, he will definitely answer when he comes back.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh-mourthy, As our brother-member, sbala, wrote tomorrow I am starting to my native place to see my ailing mother of 86 yrs. old. If you have any questionsplease post them and I shall anser them after I return. amsharma.

autoMount

Post by autoMount »

Dear sharmaji,

My namaskarams to you.

I'm a new member to this forum. I started following the messages in this post recently. I also looked at all your youtube videos and they are truly amazing. I especially appreciate all the laya exercises you have posted. They are of immense help to me and so will it be for many others.

I do have a carnatic violin background and I follow the Parur style. I'm here in the US and so your videos will be of great help. Please let me know when you return back and if you will be seeing the messages in this thread.

Thanks ....

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, autoMount, I am extremely happy to see your post and know that my service to the cause of music is truly helping the aspirants learning music. According to my plan I want to upload videos playing 8 Varnas in Adi-tala, 1 Varna in Ata-tala and 1 Svarajati in Bhairavi-Chapu-tala by which much of the finger techniques of Karnataka-violin are covered. But, due to my old age and urgent engagements, I could play 3 Varnas in Adi-tala only and upload them. I shall try to fulfill my plan in near future for the benefit of our society.
Presently I am at my hometown, Hyderabad and you can contact me by e-mail, ‘msakella2002@yahoo.co.in’ or to my ID, ‘msakella2002’ either on Yahoo Messenger or Skype. With best wishes, amsharma.

autoMount

Post by autoMount »

Dear Sharama Sir,

Greatly appreciate all your work and your efforts to upload the varnam videos. We certainly look forward to all your video postings in the coming days.

I completely agree when you give so much emphasis to laya and its control - especially when learning an instrument (like violin). Looking at all your video postings on Tala/Laya, I felt those are the kind of exercises I would like to do as I'm quite keen to improve my rhythmic abilities.

I'm also very interested in learning and continuing my violin. Since I live in the US and as there aren't any carnatic violin teachers close to where I live, I felt learning violin through your videos might be the most feasible solution. So please do continue to post your lessons.

Also to give you a quick background, Ive learnt till kirthanams (around 18) and I can comfortably play about 12 varnams in two speeds.

I understand that you must be a very busy person. So please let me know if I can approach you for some help regarding laya practices and learning violin through your online postings .

I'm deeply moved by your dedication to the cause of spreading our system of music. I'm positive many of us, like me can certainly learn a lot from your experience and erudition in this subject.

Many Thanks Again....

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, autoMount, Previously I have produced a mp3 CD containing 86 tracks filled with many rhythmical exercises and Varnas sung by me for the benefit of our aspirants. This was uploaded to the ‘sangeetapriya.com’ by our brother-member, vasanthakokilam. Its link is ‘http://www.sangeethapriya.org/~chandra/’. If you are interested you can download them and utilize. Recently I have still modified and developed this CD furnishing 481 tracks filled with the preliminary exercises, Laya-exercises, Varnas along with Gamaka-symbols, details of 60 Gamakas along with symbols and all the relevant pdf files and this is in the finishing level. I am going to arrange again to send this also to ‘vasanthakokilam’ to bring it within the reach of all our aspirants.
Of course, I am always busily engaged only in serving the cause of our music. I am always ready to help you in any manner and you are at the liberty to contact me at any time. But, as the instrumental teaching is a little bit difficult, you have to send me the video clippings of your violin-play, to enable me guide you properly. With best wishes, amsharma.

autoMount

Post by autoMount »

Dear Sharma sir,

That would be really helpful. I'll try to get some video recording to you soon. I'll play 2 varnams and 2 kirthanams and try to upload them to youtube.

Will stay in touch with you. Thanks in advance for your guidance and time.

Also can you let me know how I can order one of your books titled "Sangita Svararaga Sudha".

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brothr-member, autoMount, OK. You can upload your Violin-play in that manner. You can contact the e-mail address ‘m.ramana@gmail.com’, residing in US itself and get the copy of my book, ‘Sangita Svararaga Sudha (English)’ along with an album of 4 mp3 CDs at the cost of 30/- US$ (excluding the freight charges). With best wishes, amsharma.

sampoorna

Post by sampoorna »

Namaskaram Sharma garu,

My daughter (7 years) has been learning western classical violin since she was 4. Her teacher is very particular about the correct bowing and fingering techniques and I found the similarity between what you demonstrated on the videos and what she teaches. My question is - will learning the in the western style be a disadvantage when it comes to learning carnatic music (if she chooses to do so at a later stage)? Currently, she also learns carnatic vocal from a disciple of Neyveli. I help her practice violin and vocal every alternate day for ~45 minutes.

Thankyou and Regards,

Sampoorna.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear sister-member, sampoorna, In my view learning any thing in a rational and disciplined way always helps the aspirant develop further and further without any hindrance. Everything has logic behind it and if we are inquisitive we can definitely get it and properly utilize it for further development. Thus, learning Violin in western style has its own advantages in handling the instrument and to later learn the techniques of Karnataka style. In the same way, no doubt, learning Karnataka Vocal also helps her a lot. But, while the Violin, in the western music, is mainly used as a Solo instrument, in our Karnataka music, it is mainly used for accompaniment, which makes all the difference in learning and adapting different techniques. So, if we keep all these details in view while devoting sufficient time for regular practice, 45 mts. of practice is not at all enough to make a mark in the field. In our Karnataka music, while the aspirant learning upto Gitas must devote minimum 2 hrs. for regular practice, the aspirant learning upto Varnas must devote minimum 4 hrs. and the aspirant learning Kritis and Manodharma Sangita must devote more than 5 or 6 hrs. to make a mark in the field. Music is like an elephant and unless it is sufficiently fed it will not survive at all. amsharma..

sampoorna

Post by sampoorna »

Namaskaram Sharma Garu,

Thankyou for your prompt and apt response. I will certainly keep all your advice in mind and encourage her to put in more sadhana.

Best Regards,

Sampoorna

msakella

Post by msakella »

As per a joke once a 90 years old father went out to select the would-be-daughter-in-law for his 8th son but successfully brought her in as his 4th wife. Elders, being ideal to others, should always encourage and accommodate the youth as much as possible. At my 46th year in 1984 when I was promoted as Principal, at the first instance, I have given up accompanying ladies. As I have to concentrate much upon my Institution and as mostly I was getting concerts of accompaniments to ladies I was able to make justice to my job by doing so. Later, after my retirement in 1996 in my 58th year I have stopped participating in public concerts and even given up participating in Radio and TV concerts after 3 years. Later I have taken the teaching as my mission. You may not believe me if I tell that I became aware in which way I have to teach the preliminary exercises like even Alankaras to the aspirants only after my retirement after deep introspection. The performer performs as per his knowledge and ability but the teacher should not teach what he knows but teach what the aspirant needs assessing the level of the aspirant. People may not appreciate if I tell this truth being bitter. amsharma.

prabharavi79

Post by prabharavi79 »

Dear members - Students of Violin, especially.

I started learning Violin under A M Sharmaji and would like to tell you all that he is a teacher above par with his peers. The techniques he has discovered makes one learn the most toughest ways of playing violin very easily. Even though I had been learning violin for a few years, I was looking forward to play it better and with more passion. I was really in search of someone who could guide me properly and by God's grace, Sharmaji came into picture. When I requested him to guide me, he was so very happy to do so. It has been close to two months now and I have been able to play to a certain extent some good gamaka exercises (ofcourse not to forget, with lots of pain in my hand!) which has been taught. Thanks to Sharmaji again. I will be posting my videos on youtube as well within a short period of time.
I request all those who are serious about the playing techniques of Violin to get in touch with Sharmaji and try to get as much guidance and support from him as possible. Thanks to A M S sir again.

-
Ravi.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Hi! all brother & sister-members,
In our Indian music Manodharma-music is the most important one which is the characteristic of our music and which is not available in any other system of music in the world. The music created by the mental capacity of the artist is called Manodharma-music and this is the criteria in teaching or learning music in our country. Any item of the syllabus in music or any plan of teaching or learning must inculcate the knowledge of Manodharma-music in the aspirants.

As all are aware. in this branch of music while there are five divisions, Ragalapana, Tanam, Pallavi, Niraval and Svarakalpana, among them, the first and the last one, Ragalapana and Svarakalpana are most important to be learnt basically by one and all. As per the traditional methods in teaching the aspirants are used to learn music and practice it for years to get this knowledge and, now, it is high time to find possible easy methods in teaching quickening the process of it not only to make it TIME BOUND but also RESULT-ORIENTED.

On these lines I have experimented upon a number of students not only upon the technicalities of music but also the finger-techniques of Violin and found out some successful easy methods in teaching them. Working hard even after my retirement in 1996 I have further developed these easy methods and, accordingly, after teaching only 6 Gitas even without Kampitas or Gamakas some very important finger-exercises like single-finger-exercises, two-finger-exercises, three-finger-exercises and four-finger-exercises, that too some of them even without using the bow and others along with the bow must be taught which enable the aspirant to deal with many kinds of Kampitas and Gamakas used in the Varnas.

Even while teaching the Varnas I follow a particular seriatim to gradually make the aspirant acquainted with many of these Kampitas and Gamakas. They are the Adi-tala-varnas in Natakuranji, Kambhoji, Darbar, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Begada, Todi, Saveri, Ata-tala-varna in Bhairavi and Svarajati in Bhairavi. All the finger-techniques in playing the Gamakas of them should be taught very carefully, efficiently and vigilantly in such a way that the aspirant must become able to play most of the next Varna on his own. This is the specialty of this novel method of teaching.

Among the 12 notes the Sadharana-gandhara (G1), Shuddha-madhyama (M1) and Kashiki-nishada (N1) are the notes which cover maximum range of oscillative limits in our Karnataka music and even among them Sadharana-gandhara (G1) and Kaishiki-nishada (N1) have more varieties of Gamakas than even Shuddha-madhyama (M1). So, while teaching the Varnas, if the teacher plans to teach the aspirants in such a way that they get good acquaintance with the Kampitas and Gamakas of Sadharana-gandhara (G1) and Kashiki-nishada (N1) in particular along with other notes the aspirant will become able to deal with any intricate Gamakas in due course. Being unaware of this important point many of the teachers are used to start with the Varnas in Mohana, Hamsadhvani, Vasantha and Shankarabharana by which the aspirants’ pace will be slowed down reasonably.

In the process of bringing the various finger techniques within the reach of the aspirants, previously, along with some Laya-exercises and Violin-exercises, I have uploaded three Varnas, one Varna each in Natakuranji, Kambhoji and Darbar-ragas to be helpful for the Violin-aspirants to ‘youtube.com/msakella’. Today, I have started again uploading all the video-clippings of the remaining six Varnas and one Svarajati. I have furnished four-times-repeated video-clippings of all the divisions of all these compositions along with fully played video-clippings of entire composition in the end.

In the abbreviations used in the title ‘AA’ represents Arohana and Avarohana of the Raga, ‘P’ represents Pallavi, ‘A’ represents Anupallavi, ‘M’ represents Muktayisvara, ‘C’ represents Charana, ‘E1’ represents the 1st Ettugadasvara and ‘E2’ represents the 2nd Ettugadasvara, 'Pur.' represents Purvanga, 'Utt.' represents Uttaranga and so on. You can find them in ‘youtube.com/msakella’. But, as I have already given up my Violin-practice long ago in 1998, in my 60th year of age, and not even been touching my Violin except for teaching the different finger-techniques to my students I am not at all able to play well. Still, while playing them, I was compelled to repeat some of the Varnas 3 to 4 times as I am unable to play them properly and also forgetting things often. Though not fully perfect as they are reasonably bearable (to me, of course, as one can relish even his foul smell well) I have preferred to upload them as something is better than nothing.

In fact, while teaching these Varnas each and every one has to be revised 3 or 4 times to teach any additional finger-techniques also. But, as no such possibility is possible now the aspirants must satisfy with the available ones. Also as I am not at all acquainted with many of the technicalities of the computer some flaws must have crept either in my Violin-play or the video-recordings or splitting and adjoining the video-clippings etc., etc. But for my 3rd son, Chi. A.N.Swamy’s affectionate and sincere help in searching and finding suitable know-how of the relevant computer-applications I would not have become able to do this service to the cause of our music.

Recently, on 18th September, 2008, I have started teaching Violin to a blind student who had already learnt 4 or 5 Varnas and 10 or 15 Kritis in the Govt. Music College, Vizianagaram for 7 years but unable to play even a single Avarta of any Varna or Kriti with proper Gamakas. As there has never been any academic supervision in these colleges all the teachers, though many of them are Vidwans, teach as per their will and pleasure. Even though he was actually failed in the Diploma examination due to his incapacities he was made ‘passed’ next year with the kind help of the examiner to get rid of him from the college and hostel as well.

Being blind as there was no other way to survive his father brought him to me and requested to teach him. I found his Laya-instinct is reasonably well and started teaching him daily and he is practising daily for 6 hours minimum. Generally I never entertain anybody on regular basis unless he practises regularly for more than 6 hours. As he agreed to do so and I have started teaching him and taught him all the above finger-exercises without bow and with bow for 20 days and later only the Pallavi of Natakuranji-varna demonstrating and explaining the usage of the different finger-techniques (being blind he cannot see at all) of the Gamakas playing on my Violin. Now, people may not believe me at all if I tell that, later, he himself played not only the remaining Varna of Natakuranji but also all the remaining Varnas in Kambhoji, Darbar, Shankarabharana, Kalyani, Begada, Todi, Saveri and Bhairavi on his own but with my oral guidance only. Within a week or so he is going to finish off playing even the Savarajati in Bhairavi also on his own. This system of teaching is very reliable in yielding very encouraging results, though many teachers hesitate to follow it as this will not help them yield more money through this.

In fact many are interested in learning music. As this is an invisible fine-art more physical and mental exertion is needed than any other fine-art in getting reasonable control over the invisible Shruti and Laya of it. In general, tender age is preferred to learn it as physical and mental capacities are much higher at that age. It is always needed to give only the first preference in learning this fine-art and possibly finish three-fourths of learning or practice of this art even before attaining 15 years of age to make a mark in this field. To encourage such aspirants even Govt. of India has long ago established the ‘National Institute of Open Schooling’ allowing private appearance of the candidates who devote more time to learn such traditional arts. Presently, some highly talented candidates are utilizing this facility and getting a qualification in general education also simultaneously along with high quality music practicing it for more than 6 hours regularly and also studying general subjects for 2 or 3 hours.

I am always used to harp upon regular practice of music to get reasonable control over it which is bitter to many aspirants. Some aspirants are used to tell that they will be able to devote much time for practice only in the week-ends to whom I was suggesting to do the same in respect of taking their food also. Many people are interested in learning music and becoming an artist but are unable to cope up with the strenuous physical and mental exertion included in it. Even the aspirants learning music want very quick development in their singing or playing music but without much hardship. While everybody exerts himself hard to get even the increment in his salary or even the increment in his financial position or even the increment in his designation or even the increment in his status or even the increment in the number of his family members or even the increment in the amenities etc., etc., I do not understand why they want to skip off the regular practice in respect of music only. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 01 Dec 2008, 04:19, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today I have uploaded the video-clippings of Shankarabharana-Adi-Varna to 'youtube.com/msakella' under the following reference for the benefit of the aspirants. amsharma

04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.10-Shankarabharana-Varna-Pur..MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.11-Shankarabharana-Varna-Utt..mpg
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.01-Shankarabharana-Varna-AA.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.02-Shankarabharana-Varna-P.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.03-Shankarabharana-Varna-A.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.04-Shankarabharana-Varna-M.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.05-Shankarabharana-Varna-C.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.06-Shankarabharana-Varna-E1.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.07-Shankarabharana-Varna-E2.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.08-Shankarabharana-Varna-E3.MPG
04.AMS-Violin-Demo-04.09-Shankarabharana-Varna-E4.MPG

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

In our Indian music Manodharma-music is the most important one which is the characteristic of our music and which is not available in any other system of music in the world.

Improvisation is present in many other kinds of music. Jazz, for example, is a reasonably serious kind of music, and it allows (and asks for) much improvisation too.

msakella

Post by msakella »

It is obvious that our Manodharma-music is filled with spontaneity and complexity even though some improvisation is allowed in any other system of music. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today I have uploaded the video-clippings of Kalyani-Adi-Varna to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ under the following reference for the benefit of the aspirants. Along with them I have also uploaded a very difficult Violin-play of Vanajaakshi-Kalyani-Ata-Varna recently played mostly on the 2nd A-string in 116 bpm (beats per minute) speed of the Metronome by my disciple Chi. O. Rajashekhar for the observation of the aspirants.
Due to erratic power supply and as it needs continuous uploading of 5 hrs.minimum I am compelled to make this uploading only after mid-night daily and only one Varna at a time. amsharma
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.01-Kalyani-Varna-AA.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.02-Kalyani-Varna-P.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.03-Kalyani-Varna-A.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.04-Kalyani-Varna-M.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.05-Kalyani-Varna-C.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.06-Kalyani-Varna-E1.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.07-Kalyani-Varna-E2.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.08-Kalyani-Varna-E3.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.09-Kalyani-Varna-E4.MPG
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.10-Kalyani-Varna-Pur..mpg
05.AMS-Violin-Demo-05.11-Kalyani-Varna-Utt..mpg

sbala

Post by sbala »

Dear Sharmaji,
It's heartening to hear that you have started teaching a blind student. I wish him all the very best.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Sharma sir, I cannot seem to locate the kalyani ata tala demonstration on youtube, or have you not uploaded it to the website yet?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, sbala, In fact, when his father brought him to me on 18th Sept., and narrated his story I could not bear with the injustice done to him as a blind student and promised him that I shall try to do the best as teaching different finger techniques of Violin-play to a blind student is very difficult. However, as I firmly believe in God that HE is the giver and this student is the taker and in-between them I am only a transmitter. This became absolute truth in his case and it is a surprise to me. As a blind person he can only listen to the music but cannot see the finger-techniques at all. Even though I have already taught another such blind student in 60s me too do not know much teaching techniques in those days. But, now, I know many teaching techniques but not to make the blind play Violin well. Much of my life is spent on research and, even now, I had to make another research in which way I can make him play without playing myself on Violin but with oral-demonstration of finger-techniques. All the more I have not even been taking Violin out of the box leave alone playing it. You may not believe me if I tell that I had played Violin just 2 or 3 times that too for very few minutes every time. Mostly I made him play different bow-less finger-exercises and he practiced them for more than 6 hrs. daily for only 20 days which paved his way to play all the 9 Varnas and Bhairavi-svarajati on his own but only with my oral guidance. Thus, the Almighty proposed to make him play successfully, he did it and I have become the transmitter. Entire credit goes to the Almighty. He must be thanked but not me dear. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 02 Dec 2008, 20:31, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear (I am not sure of your gender and so) b/s-member, bilahari, After going through your post I have verified and found it there along with a message that it is kept under the violation of the terms of use. As I am not aware of such terms at all I have removed it to try again to upload it independently within a couple of days. Please visit again later. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today I have uploaded the video-clippings of Begada-Adi-Varna to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ under the following reference for the benefit of the aspirants. Along with them when I have tried to upload the very difficult Violin-play of Vanajaakshi-Kalyani-Ata-Varna recently played mostly on the 2nd A-string in 116 bpm (beats per minute) speed of the Metronome by my disciple Chi. O. Rajashekhar it went on running for more than 2 hrs. but did not finish and I had to cancel it. amsharma
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.01-Begada-Varna-AA.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.02-Begada-Varna-P.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.03-Begada-Varna-A.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.04-Begada-Varna-M.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.05-Begada-Varna-C.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.06-Begada-Varna-E1.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.07-Begada-Varna-E2.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.08-Begada-Varna-E3.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.09-Begada-Varna-E4.MPG
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.10-Begada-Varna-Pur..mpg
06.AMS-Violin-Demo-06.11-Begada-Varna-Utt..MPG

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today I have uploaded the video-clippings of Todi-Adi-Varna to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ under the following reference for the benefit of our aspirants. Till now, even though I have, in total, uploaded 96 video-clippings figure 77, in total, is being shown on the web site ‘youtube.com/msakella’ among which, surprisingly, 11 Nos. of Kalyani-varna are missing. More over, yesterday and day-before-yesterday, I was, somehow, unable to upload Kalyani-Ata-varna - MPEG4 file - played mostly on 2nd A String only by my disciple, Chi. O. Rajashekhar in 116 bpm speed. By all this, I am unable to understand why some of the video-clippings, that too particularly of Kalyani are missing. This is for the information of our people only, of course.
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.01-Todi-Varna-AA.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.02-Todi-Varna-P.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.03-Todi-Varna-A.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.04-Todi-Varna-M.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.05-Todi-Varna-C.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.06-Todi-Varna-E1.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.07-Todi-Varna-E2.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.08-Todi-Varna-E3.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.09-Todi-Varna-E4.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.10-Todi-Varna-E5.MPG
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.11-Todi-Varna-Pur..mpg
07.AMS-Violin-Demo-07.12-Todi-Varna-Utt..MPG
Last edited by msakella on 04 Dec 2008, 12:34, edited 1 time in total.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

I wonder what youtube has against Kalyani!!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today I could upload the video-clippings of Saveri-Adi-Varna to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ under the following reference for the benefit of our aspirants.
Till now, even though I have, in total, uploaded 107 video-clippings figure 88, in total, is being shown on the web site ‘youtube.com/msakella’ and 19 Nos. among which 11 Nos. of Kalyani-varna and 8 Nos. of Shankarabharana are confiscated. This is for the information of our people, of course.
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.01-Saveri-Varna-AA.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.02-Saveri-Varna-P.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.03-Saveri-Varna-A.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.04-Saveri-Varna-M.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.05-Saveri-Varna-C.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.06-Saveri-Varna-E1.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.07-Saveri-Varna-E2.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.08-Saveri-Varna-E3.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.09-Saveri-Varna-E4.MPG
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.10-Saveri-Varna-Pur..mpg
08.AMS-Violin-Demo-08.11-Saveri-Varna-Utt..mpg

msakella

Post by msakella »

As 11 Nos. of Kalyani-Adi-Varna and 8 Nos. of Shankarabharana-Adi-Varna have, somehow, been vanished from ‘youtube.com/msakella’ today I have also tried to upload them to ‘esnips.com’ but after starting within few minutes the uploading is being failed. I have tried for 3 times consecutively but, successfully, failed. While, on one hand, the youtube is confiscating, on the other, esnips is snipping leaving me unable to upload them. amsharma

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Sharmaji, does youtube give any reason for these confiscations?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Youtube did not give any justification for this confiscation. However, today, just now, I could upload the Kalyani-Ata-Varna played by my disciple Chi. O.Rajashekhar mostly on 2nd A string at 116 bpm speed to ‘esnips.com’ http://www.esnips.com/web/AMS-Violin-Demos. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 05 Dec 2008, 16:58, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

anyone able to watch the video from esnips? I am not able to even after installing quicktime...!!!!!!!!!!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Same here, ganesh_mourthy...

msakella

Post by msakella »

The quality of any system should always be adjudged basing upon the favourable results of it. Thus, this novel and un-conventional system of the easy and effective methods in teaching music stood for many tests and paved way in making this music-teaching TIME-BOUND and RESULT-ORIENTED, though un-believable not only to the money-minded music-teachers but also the aspirants. Only basing upon this system the seriatim of Varnas has been designed and accordingly, following this seriatim, the respective Varnas are being uploaded to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ for the benefit of the aspirants. Thus, while uploading them, unfortunately and by un-known reason, 8 Nos. of Shankarabharana-Adi-Varna and 11 Nos. of Kalyani-Adi-Varna simply vanished from the scene hindering the process. However, the trials to continue this process of uploading to ‘esnips’ also has become problematic to me in the absence of the relevant technical knowledge of uploading (funnily, I could not replay which I have just uploaded and that is the level of my technical-efficiency, you all can understand). Thus I was compelled to come back to pavilion to repeat the uploading of these 19 Nos. of vanished video-clippings from youtube itself.
In the video-clippings of Shankarabharana-Adi-Varna Nos.3, 4 & 5 are already uploaded and available in youtube and the remaining Nos.1, 2, 6, 7, 8, 9, 10 & 11 are uploaded now along with all the 11 Nos. of Kalyani-Adi-Varna (please refer post Nos.121 & 124 respectively of this thread for details). amsharma

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Sharmaji, are you still not able to upload the ata tala varna demo on youtube? I'm really interested in that.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

well, I think there is some tech snag in it. positively he would.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-members, bilahari & ganesh_mourthy, Just now I have finished re-uploading of the 'Kalyani-Ata-Varna played by my disciple, Chi. O.Rajashekhar mostly on 2nd string at 116 bpm speed' to youtube. But, when I have again verified I have found that 'This video has been removed due to terms of use violation' and that 'Rejected (length of video is too long)'. Thus, this video has again been rejected. amsharma.

msakella

Post by msakella »

In fact, my disciple. Chi. O. Rajashekhar had played this Kalyani-Ata-Varna, video-recorded it on his mobile phone, copied it on a CD and gave me a copy of it one year back. Thinking that it may inspire the aspirants to learn Violin and practice it well when I have uploaded it on 02-12-2008 to youtube it was removed on the same plea. Surprisingly enough, along with it, all other clippings of Kalyani-Adi-Varna are also removed for an unknown reason. But, today, when I could again upload the clippings of Kalyani-Adi-Varna, I thought that I can upload this Kalyani-Ata-Varna also but again failed on the same plea. By that, I have tried to upload this to ‘esnips’ and succeeded but became unable to play it back for an unknown reason. Then I have tried to cut this video into two pieces, as Purvanga and Uttaranga to make it short. Surprisingly, I could not do so as no video converter is allowing this particular-mobile-format at all. So, there is no other way than getting it through esnips. If not, if anybody is so particular to have it, I shall try to make a copy of the CD, give it to Kulakarniji when I shall meet him at Chennai this month and interested persons can get a copy of it from him. amsharma

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Akella sir, You could upload it to rapidshare and any of us can download it. it is an easy file sharing system. try www.rapidshare.com
Last edited by ganesh_mourthy on 06 Dec 2008, 23:01, edited 1 time in total.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh-mourthy, As you wrote, just now I have finished uploading the ‘Kalyani-Ata-Varna- video file to Rapidshare which to 2 hrs. The link is
http://rapidshare.com/files/170973461/K ... m.mp4.html
But, as per the instructions contained in it, I could not create the Collector’s account as, every time, I was getting ‘cannot find server’. So, you please visit that site and try to create a collector’s account and do the needful. amsharma

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today, just now I have finished the uploading of the video-clippings of Bhairavi-Ata-Varna to ‘youtube.com/msakella’ under the following reference for the benefit of our aspirants. amsharma

09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.01-Bhairavi-Varna-AA.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.02-Bhairavi-Varna-P.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.03-Bhairavi-Varna-A.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.04-Bhairavi-Varna-M.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.05-Bhairavi-Varna-C.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.06-Bhairavi-Varna-E1.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.07-Bhairavi-Varna-E2.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.08-Bhairavi-Varna-E3.MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.09-Bhairavi-Varna-Pur..MPG
09.AMS-Violin-Demo-09.10-Bhairavi-Varna-Utt..mpg

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

cheers, Akella sir, I did watch the demo by your student and it is quite inspiring.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, ganesh_mourthy, Unless the teacher makes his student sing/play just like him he should not be called a teacher at all. That is the greatness of the teacher and that is why a society always needs more a teacher than a performer. Thanking you for your kind appreciation, amsharma

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Excellent rendition by your student. Your teaching methods shine brilliantly here.

I do not know much about collector's account but it may require a paid account.

In the meantime, I have created a linkedlist to keep all your uploads in one place:

http://rapidshare.com/users/OCIF3Y

I have sent you by email the login and password so you can manage the list like adding new links etc..
rasikas do not need a password to access this list of download links.

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Unfortunately, due to some glitch in my computer, I'm unable to download quicktime. Is there any other way to watch an mp4 file like this (without quicktime)?

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The versatile vlc media player plays this file fine so give that a try. ( http://www.videolan.org/vlc/ )