directly learning to sing bhajans without swaram notatation

To teach and learn Indian classical music
abithaselvaraj

directly learning to sing bhajans without swaram notatation

Post by abithaselvaraj »

Is it better to sing intuitively by directly listening to bhajans without any swaram notation? Or is it better to get the structure of swarams in a song/bhajan and then sing it?
My teacher says its better to sing intuitively and does not prefer to give swaram notation stating there will be too much structure and melody will be lost.
I am at beginner level.

msakella

Re: directly learning to sing bhajans without swaram notatation

Post by msakella »

In general, all the music-teachers run away from writing notation and also suggest their students not to write notation telling many stories.
True teacher, without singing himself even Sa or Pa even once and properly equipping the aspirant with the needed, always initiates the student proceed further and further utilising his/her own instinctive abilities. This is the true method of learning music just like in cycling or cooking. But, all the present music-teachers they sing or play or drive cycle or cook things themselves mostly and ask the aspirant follow him/her. amsharma

abithaselvaraj

Post by abithaselvaraj »

that took many reads for me to understand ...please let me know what would be the right method in that case?

msakella

Post by msakella »

I am an old person and I cannot write all those details here. If you are truly interested you can contact my mobile No. 9908822992 and I shall try to explain to you. amsharma