Swara Identification Exercises, Vocal: Post Answers Here

To teach and learn Indian classical music
vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Very nice Suji. Sounds great.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks and congrats Suji
You have captured the essence of karnataka devagandhari (OK Bimplas :)
Douse your strings with honey @12 secs for that heart-rending melody!

arunk

Post by arunk »

If someone wants the pitch graph (pitch vs. time) of the original sample, send me email (via forum e.g.). I am reluctant to post such analysis on a public forum without permission from artist.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 01 Oct 2007, 22:20, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arun
The clip I posted (purely educational) is from that of a music teacher who I do not know to get permission!

VK
Those restrictions will apply even to the TNK clip. And if we are going to be conservative in choosing materials for education I should stop right here!

Bye folks!

Sorry Folks!

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover - i meant in terms of using fourier or similar analysis (and discussions on whether a person did the correct sthanam, where they deviated, how much etc.).

It is just my preference to stay away from those (i was even a bit hesitant to say "not ideal sthanam" but then the discussion was already in place). I did not mean to impose that anyone or suggest we close shop :) I do not know whether one needs permission to try to figure out swaras from a rendition.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 01 Oct 2007, 23:13, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

In my view such analysis are not relavant to CM at all. For eg a gamaka on N2 can traverse all notes between S`-- N2 and further down even D2
We can use ears/instrument as our best judge.
We might at the end be picking on artist and teacher and that must be avoided.

arunk

Post by arunk »

I agree. For the job at hand, we do not need this. But I do not think anybody intended this - some people perceived an ambiguity in a swara in the short clip.

Perhaps the lesson to be learned is to always use a long enough clip (like byte.mp3 - nice nomenclature cmlover :)! so that the raga/mela is more readily recognizable. Once that is done, most of us will subconsciously extrapolate/intrapolate as necessary.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 01 Oct 2007, 23:29, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

My answer for byte - I had a hard time representing some slides. I think i may went overboard and imagined stuff that is not really there :)

Code: Select all

s /g s (p)m pm/p ...
p n p n* n# /s' . . . 
(d)/n d p m g , r n` s 

s' => tara shadjam
n` => mandra nishadam
n* => (s')n	ni from sa
n# => /(s')(d)/n/   i.e. ni from sa down to a tinge of da 
                               and then continuously up via ni to sa
Last edited by arunk on 01 Oct 2007, 23:46, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Arun: Understood. I probably added to your dharma sankatam by quoting you about the swara sthanam..

CML, we can still continue without the FFT pitch analysis.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thanks folks for clearing the air!

I think we should not name any names while discussing in order not to 'incriminate' anyone of shruti lapses. Anonymous clips will never hurt and let us not ask who the 'author' is, since we only want to learn from the exercise, know the raga but the 'name' of the artiste is immaterial. As VK suggests there is no need for FF analyses as our consensus is more than enough! I will of course share the artiste's own interpretation whenever I have it, if it is OK by you!

Thanks Arun for unravelling the byte! I guess hereafter we can use your notations as a pattern for indicating jaru and anusvara!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

s (m)g s (m)g (p)m p,,

p np,, (s')n [ (sd/)n]2 s',,

(sp/)n d p m g, r n`s

In the first bit I heard a second G (VK and CML also had it)

In the byte it is hard to explain but I represented something.... :)

Also the first G seems to come from M rather than S.
The G from S seems awkward for bhimpalas. Can someone verify?
Last edited by Suji Ram on 02 Oct 2007, 01:38, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji
I understand '()' means half note, but what is '[]2' ?

arunk

Post by arunk »

() i think is anuswara , [] may be to group one swara/strike/bow.

suji - ga from sa may not be that uncommon, when ni can from pa, the ga from sa sort of works in tandem (i.e. compare sa/ga to pa/ni => sa to pa spacing is same as ga to ni).

It is sort of like in hindola where sa/ga can be in tandem with ma/da (sa to ma spacing and ga to da (shuddha) spacing is same).

But as always, I defer to the more knowledgeable if the above is not correct.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 02 Oct 2007, 01:53, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote:Suji
I understand '()' means half note, but what is '[]2' ?
Repeated twice.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Arun,
I understand that S to G is common,
but the M to G in this piece seems to add flavor to the specific raga here

arunk

Post by arunk »

ah ok. your last post said "the G from S seems awkward for bhimpalas"

But now that I listen again, it does sound like s (m)g s at the start. It does have a different feel. I dont know how common/uncommon for this raga.
Last edited by arunk on 02 Oct 2007, 02:09, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arun
I thought we will use parentheses '()' to denote half notes and double parentheses for quarter notes etc since we cannot have double underlinings in regular notation! We will use ',' for doubling of course.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

http://www.sendspace.com/file/4b486j

I was listening to this alapana and got a little confused about the raga.

I am posting only that confused segment. Can anyone identify this raga?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Suji
I am getting S G2 M1 D1 prominantly. It is not hindolam or kalyanavasantam for sure. Maybe you should post the full aalaapana to get a complete feel since the uttaraanga is missing!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

CML you are way off...
I will wait for others

mohan

Post by mohan »

madhyamAvati?

arunk

Post by arunk »

It is madyamAvati alright - anchoring on pa a lot, and hitting ni also a bit flatly i.e. not the usual one. It gives a different feel BTW who is the singer? It seems similar to the one some rasikas.org guys and I attended :). I think he may have toured your area suji.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 21 Apr 2008, 06:51, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

madhyamAvati- unusual isn't it?

while the beginning of the alapana(not included in the clip) was madhyamAvati for sure, when I reached hearing this part I went uhh?? :rolleyes:
actually the rest of the alapana is also a bit unusual. The violinist however reassures us that we are with madhyamAvati.

Now I started hearing a bit brindAvana sAranga- (dikshitar's) at some places. Not sure why.
May be that's the reason it is called madhmad sArang=madhyamavati+b sAranga

Mohan,
You had a ? after madhyamAvati. what is your inference?

I think he may have toured your area suji.
:)

mohan

Post by mohan »

yup - brindavana saranga crossed my mind at times because there was a lot of ri, ma and pa which is common to the two ragas. I put the question mark since I was confused by CML's comments. I guess he has not picked up the base sruthi and thus has heard another raga (a greha-bedham equivalent). shuddha dhanyAsi, mOhana, shuddhasAvEri, hindOLa and madhyamAvati are greha-bedham equivalents.

Getting back to the clip in question, the phrases used reminded me of those used by GNB in one his grand madhayamAvati alApanas. Who is the artist?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

mohan wrote:yup - brindavana saranga crossed my mind at times because there was a lot of ri, ma and pa which is common to the two ragas. I put the question mark since I was confused by CML's comments. I guess he has not picked up the base sruthi and thus has heard another raga (a greha-bedham equivalent). shuddha dhanyAsi, mOhana, shuddhasAvEri, hindOLa and madhyamAvati are greha-bedham equivalents.

Getting back to the clip in question, the phrases used reminded me of those used by GNB in one his grand madhayamAvati alApanas. Who is the artist?
Thanks Mohan,
Would love to hear GNB's -any pointers
This clip was from MA concert of Abhishek Raghuram - probably the one Arun attended.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

If you are referring to the Music Academy concert on 25th Dec. 2007,I also attended this particular concert and I had the same feeling; I had noted down all the details in a slip of paper; seem to have misplaced it.If I can lay my hands on it, I can post my observations.I was waiting to discuss with some people who attended the same.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Mohan you are absolutely right. I took the shruti to be 3 kattai and found that there is no pancamam (I was cock sure:) hence toying with Hindolam (which of course did not fit) Actually it is 2 kattai which fits nicely with madhyamavati whose grahbhedam on rishabham gives Hindolam. All along i took his pancamam for madhyamam and got totally fooled. Thanks for suggesting the grahabhedam.
At any rate his aalaapana is non standard as Suji feels intuitively :)

I also got a feel of GNB...

arunk

Post by arunk »

Suji Ram wrote:This clip was from MA concert of Abhishek Raghuram - probably the one Arun attended.
Indeed that was it.

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

Sure it has some brindavana-sarangish phrases :) at least to my ears ..

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 21 Apr 2008, 22:26, edited 1 time in total.

mohan

Post by mohan »

Suji Ram wrote:Would love to hear GNB's -any pointers
Couldn't find the GNB Madhyamavathi I was thinking of online.
There is a short alapana by GNB at
http://www.ecse.rpi.edu/Homepages/shivk ... dex.html#m
Maybe it was a Trichur Ramachandran version I was thinking of!

cienu

Post by cienu »

This concert by Abhishek was discussed in quite some detail in the Kutcheri Review section especially the Madhyamavati Raga Alapana. Unable to find it though.

mohan

Post by mohan »

cienu wrote:This concert by Abhishek was discussed in quite some detail in the Kutcheri Review section especially the Madhyamavati Raga Alapana. Unable to find it though.
See http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?id=4425

cienu

Post by cienu »

Thank you Mohan :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

You can listen to it in full @
http://sangeethamshare.org/sridharan/se ... Dec-07.mp3
There is no problem with identifying madhyyamavati at all except at the place Suji has posted. Justifiably the pidis are not there

asarma

Post by asarma »

Hi cmlover, I have been following your interesting observations and technical discussions. Thank you for the same.
I have a proposition for an opportunity to a derserving carnatic music content lover. I have created a site www.taaraa.com as a community platform for young carnatic music students, amateurs and enthusiasts to upload their profiles, songs, views and news and make their talents visible to the external world. I am presently looking for a person to manage, edit and administer the site content by collating news and keep the site updated with current news and act as a mediator for the blogs.
Training will be provided to maintain the site. A part time compensation also will be provided. This is an excellent opportunity for part time work for a student, housewife or a freelancer, one who appreciates carnatic music. The content editor need not be proficient in carnatic music. The person should be familiar in internet browsing and using a PC keyboard. Any one interested can get in touch with me at admin@taaraa.com. This is a non-profit service oriented initiative. All the best.

suswara

Post by suswara »

Can anybody please give Kaddanu vaaraki in Thodi ragam, Adi talam a Thyagaraja kriti please.