Swara Identification Exercises, Vocal: Post Answers Here

To teach and learn Indian classical music
arunk

Post by arunk »

The singer could be Mohanakrishna who is a disciple of BMK and whose voice and style has resemblance to his guru.
Last edited by arunk on 23 Sep 2007, 23:05, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

We have had quite some discussions on the mood evoked by aThANA. To me the precipitous 'drops' suggest command rather than commiseration. I woudl rather go to battle to the tune of aThANA than even gambhira nATTai :)
Muktamma's rendition gives me the same feeling as 'Ela nI dataradha' where Thyagraja takes liberty with Lord Rama though in E pApamu lyricwise he is supposed to implore. Perhaps VG can comment on the language of the lyric as it applies to the mood of aThANA...
The powerful D, D, D (which which Vikram got but not supported by Suji but agreed to by Arun) if correct (mum is my word :) ) should remind one of the famous 'da..da.. da' thundering command of Brihadaranya upanishad
That very thing is repeated even today by the heavenly voice, in the form of thunder, as "Da," "Da," "Da," which means: "Control yourselves," "Give," and "Have compassion." Therefore one should learn these three: self—control, giving and mercy.
Ref: http://www.ishwar.com/hinduism/holy_upa ... rt_05.html

Of course the BMK 'voice' is intimidating :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Yes the "D" itself is going around pND oscillating so much that I tend to mark it as N2 for some reason.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Just label it N1 and you are in business :)

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

cmlover wrote:Just label it N1 and you are in business :)
OK got it! then turn it into asavEri uhh?

arunk

Post by arunk »

i see i missed the fast swaras again. Although initially (just once, briefly) i did think it is a s'r'm' - but for some reason settled on something else (starting point was off also and again in one of my weak spots d2 vs n2). When I hear it now, I can hear it going to ma'

N1 would be plain wrong and misleading :)

arunk

Post by arunk »

I also think for dabblers picking ragas like aTANA are way too hard specifically for the job at hand - swara breakdown. We should simpler and mostly "scalar" ones. IMHO, we are trying to run, when we can only walk a few steps before we fall (all except vikram ;) )
Last edited by arunk on 23 Sep 2007, 23:20, edited 1 time in total.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arunk wrote:i see i missed the fast swaras again. Although initially (just once, briefly) i did think it is a s'r'm' - but for some reason settled on something else (starting point was off also and again in one of my weak spots d2 vs n2). When I hear it now, I can hear it going to ma'

N1 would be plain wrong and misleading :)
Saw your posting too..
Yes N1 is out!

arunk

Post by arunk »

Yes labelling is tricky. My new mantra is "CM Swaras are not notes" and invariably have various pitch movements associated with them. Youhave to know the raga to be to label it correctly.

And I think in some cases you can perhaps label it in more than one way (a da that comes from ni, or a ni that goes down to da, or simply ni-da :) )

We dont have a "self-evident" (i.e. even to those who may not know all intricacies) way of labelling swaras. No standards that took hold.

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Arun
You are right! But there is nothing called 'simple' raga in CM parlance :) Unless we deal with 'nOTTu svarams :)
I agree we should start with slow (short, I prefer) pieces of music. But fast svaras are good since gamaka will not interfere. Also I feel a 'gold standard' is needed to resolve our 'guesses' unless you feel good enough to be the 'authority'!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

arun
develop a common code for our use to denote the various gamakas, nokku, jaaru etc., so that we speak a common language!

arunk

Post by arunk »

no - no. Your samples are good - but the ragas are the "tough ones". Say the same in the ragas of the "initial varnams" would be better?

Not that I ever considered myself one, but judging by my answers - me? An Authority :) ?

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Is there a varnam in aThana we can hear somewhere?
Then we can chant the "swara mantra" properly.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Good idea Suji, we will look for phrases from varnams in future and it will be quite a learning experience.

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover wrote:arun
develop a common code for our use to denote the various gamakas, nokku, jaaru etc., so that we speak a common language!
Actually there have been a few attempts. SSP is one, then I think Abraham Pandithar (?). I also vaguely remember seeing one by an eminent vidwan (mrdangam). It would be nice to look at these to see how we can relate to it.

I think there are probably different user profiles, and each look at it differently (not unlike from western music where you piano notation, guitar tablature etc.)
1. veena e.g. SSP - many explanation for gamakas are done so from the point of view of how it is done on veena. I do not know how relatable it is to people who just stick to vocal or even violin. Atleast for me gamakas like "orukkai", "ravai" - just plain latin :)
2. violin - a bend in a veena is a slide here (?), also flute.
3. vocal
4. Just the plain pitch representation. This seems more for academic/research use maybe?

Some gamaka terms are "well known" although they are executed differently. The slides/jArus and the kampitam fall in this. Even nokku I think would fall although people may not use it as often as other (? but maybe nokku is also veena specifiic). But I think if someone says nokku is there for ri in mohanam/Sankarabharanam when say going s r g, the vocalist/veena/violin/flute players all know what it means and what to do to sound it. The vocalist atleast may not know the #4 above for this - but the instrumentalist would. Does knowing 4 help any here? I dont think for execution. Hence I said that 4 is more for academic purposes.

Arun

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Though I am still holding out on Ninja's instrumental piece decoding, I could not resist reading this thread. I got it as attANA on first listen itself. I was going to go back to the prior long thread on this raga for a review but got lazy. I am still having a tough time decoding the swaras even for ragas with well defined prayogams, sancharams and piDis like this raga. Still a long way to go but the exercises are keeping my mind on this topic and to some extent frustrated 'Why is this so difficult?' I guess I know the answer ;)
Actually there have been a few attempts. SSP is one
It will be interesting to see how good the SSP gamaka notation is in practise. Remember, there was some discussion about singing Thodi as notated in the SSP and it does not sound like today's Thodi ( people said it sounded more like sindhu bhairavi, if I remember right). Is it because it is just plain hard to notate the raga given even the ingenious and exhaustive scheme used by the SSP or Thodi itself has changed markedly in the past 100+ years?

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:Good idea Suji, we will look for phrases from varnams in future and it will be quite a learning experience.
Good idea fo using varNa clips

One has to deal with known number of akshara kAlas, and more imporatant - there is only one answer!

But on the flip-side, many people attempting to decode the segment may already know a specific varNa, and hence the svaras behind it.

-Ramakriya

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vasanthakokilam wrote:
Actually there have been a few attempts. SSP is one
It will be interesting to see how good the SSP gamaka notation is in practise. Remember, there was some discussion about singing Thodi as notated in the SSP and it does not sound like today's Thodi ( people said it sounded more like sindhu bhairavi, if I remember right). Is it because it is just plain hard to notate the raga given even the ingenious and exhaustive scheme used by the SSP or Thodi itself has changed markedly in the past 100+ years?
Even though I have not tried to understand the gamaka notation - going by the rendition of TM Krishna's Kritis from SSP - there is something amiss either in the notation or the interpretation.

Not only Todi, all the rAgas in the first chakra seem to be flatter (if that is the right word), than they should be in these renditions, supposedly following the SSP.

-Ramakriya

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

ramakriya

That is the problem. No use posing a problem where the answer is freely available. Of course we can try to answer 'objectively' and discuss it. I am still debating!

Arun

You are bright and quite analytical. You need not feel defensive at all. We all know that there is no standard (all-inclusive) notation scheme for gamakas. We usually cococt individual schemes which is rough-and-ready for our learning situations. In my view SSP though of some help is not quite efficient. I do miss our own authority on SSP who knows it chapter and verse not participating in this discussions (:sigh). I would suggest you to make a beginning and we would all pitch in (much as I would love Sarmaji as well as our performing-members to help us too!

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

Another idea for quiz would be to use short kalpanaswara clips. The questions would be identify the proper swaras like for eg ,D2 or D1. Offcourse if we can identify the raga, one tends to already know what swaras come in that raga.

I never tried to identify raga from kalpanaswaras alone. May be this will help newbies and dabblers.

arunk

Post by arunk »

You know suji I was thinking the same but obviously instrumental clips, swaras in slow speed.

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover - I wasnt being defensive - perhaps apprehensive :) .

I posted something related a separate thread. The question I have now is are the 10 gamakas applicable for all kinds of music? If so - great - we (dabblers) just need to get familiar with them from samples.

If not, can we identify "n" # of common terms which although may mean different things in terms of execution in various instruments, are still common enough that all can relate to easily in their domain. Examples are of course slide/jAru, kampita etc. - but i think even here there are diifferent shades - a deep kampita vs. slight since they will carry different anuswaras.

Once we come up the # ofterms, perhaps we come up with symbols (hopefully reusing existing ones). But the first job is to get familiar with them aurally.

Arun

vasanthakokilam

Once we come up the # ofterms, perhaps we come up with symbols (hopefully reusing existing ones). But the first job is to get familiar with them aurally.
Right on, Arun. Getting familiar with them aurally is the first priority and as these exercises progress, we can then have a bank of little audio samples for each such symbol ( possibly cut and pasted from the exercise clips ). Click on a symbol and then hear the gamakam by itself and the gamakam in a little bit larger context. These are some of things we can do rather easily now with the luxury of the technology tools of today which 'notation inventors' of the past did not have.

arunk

Post by arunk »

Regarding gamakas as noted in SSP and how if followed faithfully it gives a drastically different flavor of raga:

Isnt SSP published in 1904? We know subbarama dikshitar followed this system, then how could his raga flavors have been that different in the next 30-40 years during which people like MVI, ARI were already performing? Would their tODi have been so different from Subbarama Dikshitar's way? Also Ambi Dikshitar should have been very familiar with it and he taught DKP some krithis. Assuming MVI/ARI etc. flavor of ragas is what we have today - it does not seem to add up.

So the question then is - would it be possible that those gamaka notations required additional interpretation as opposed to umambigiously indicate what the pitch movement is even to some who doesnt know *his* system? But then he explains how exactly to play each one in a vINa - so per that once you put two and two together in-theory you can reconstruct the sound.

I am confused as it does lead to some conflicting conclusions. Only experts can clear this confusion.

Arun

vasanthakokilam

Things seem to have changed. This example may not get to the specific point you are trying to analyze ... but... when I listened to Shri. Bidaram Krishnappa's Mohanam ( nannu palimpa ), the familiar mohana gamakams are not present in a prominent manner and even where it did, it was quite muted. And the same thing with Shankarabaranam, though the differences in gamakams were less. ( this is not a value judgement on Shri. Krishnappa's music, just to be sure ). I do not know what to attribute it to, school and bANi differences or the manner of rendering the ragas have changed or lack of wide variety of recordings etc. I am writing this reluctantly, since I am basing this on very minimal data, so take it with liberal dosage of salt.

Suji Ram

Post by Suji Ram »

arunk wrote:You know suji I was thinking the same but obviously instrumental clips, swaras in slow speed.

Arun
How about a kalpanaswara clip with an instrumental part- in reply to a vocal rendition. That way we can cross check by posting the vocal part after people have answered. Offcourse it works only if the instrumentalist exactly reporduced the same swaras.
This indeed is a good exercise for swara gyana vs phrase in alapana (which I also like).

With regard to tempo we can slow it down using audacity :)

arvindt

Post by arvindt »

So the question then is - would it be possible that those gamaka notations required additional interpretation as opposed to umambigiously indicate what the pitch movement is even to some who doesnt know *his* system? But then he explains how exactly to play each one in a vINa - so per that once you put two and two together in-theory you can reconstruct the sound.
I attended a (theory) symposium hosted by TMK about the SSP, and he was wondering (almost aloud) about the same question too: how could Thodi sound so different? He seems to be of the opinion that Thodi has indeed changed, but he mentioned another point: that Subbarama Dikshitar apparently intended the SSP to preserve the tradition as he had been taught it, which was even earlier (mid 19th century). He also says that Subbarama Dikshitar mentioned that musicians are "nowadays rendering ragas differently" or something of the sort, which indicates that every day practice was already diverging from the SSP. I'm saying this on the basis of what he said, so don't have a primary source myself.

He also observed that MVI used to render Kaddanuvariki flattener than we hear Thodi today (I have heard this recording, and it sounds remarkably Sindhu Bhairavi-ish), and based on these facts I got the impression that he believes vidvans and performers have indeed enriched and added considerably complexity (in terms of gamakas) to Thodi since the mid 19th century.

But it's still a puzzle that the gems of the Trinity shine so much as masterpieces in light of the rich gamakas with which they are rendered today (and in the mid-20th century), if they were composed at a time when gamakas were more sparingly used. Does it go to show that gamakas were indeed used (and so the notation in the SSP is suspect), or does it show the greatness of the Trinity in almost divining the future? I don't know.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

CM definitely has changed since 1950's. Prior to that strict 'classicism' prevailed and any deviations were resented to by the 'ruling' vidvaans. The inevitable happened with the incursion of the mass media and the influx of new instruments. As wehave seen a dramatic shift in movie songs of yore to the orchestral sympony (No! I did not say cacophony :) ) of today a similar shift has silently taken place in CM as well.
he gems of the Trinity shine so much as masterpieces in light of the rich gamakas with which they are rendered today (and in the mid-20th century), if they were composed at a time when gamakas were more sparingly used.
I agree with this having heard both the pre and post 50's CM. Most definitely the Trinity in their days would have been quite conservative in rendering their kritis. Also there were nothing other than 'tambura' available to them as accompaniment. The violin most certainly has permitted vocalists to boldly experiment with their voices (since it would mask shruti lapses :)
When GNB experimented with 'Nadasvaram-type' brigas the then stalwarts looked down on it as deviations from 'classicism' and a violation of the principles of CM taught by the Trinity. (I have personally heard comments from a great stalwart: 'avan mookkaalE naayanam vaashippan (he will be playing nadasvaram using his nose!). And the self same stalwart imitated the same technique after 1960's when he found his popularity fading! ( O tempora! O mores! :)
MVI (as I havee been told) resented santhaanam playing to the gallery sacrificing classicism but then the crowds loved him for it. KJY unwittingly (due to his movie exposure) introduced non-traditional singing of CM, a crime for which he may never be considered a candidate for SK..

Levity aside, I do believe there is more to gamakams than what was known and written in the 19th century books and it is time to investigate and develop scientifically this beautiful art and integrate it with 'modern' CM. Sometime ago our Arun developed a 'primitive' software to experiment with patterns of gamakams on the computer 'objectively' that I loved. But then Arun lost interest and dedication ( as is his usual nature).
brilliant minds are like butterflies flitting from flower to flower and never to stay long enough to savour the nectar ...

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover isnt the question at hand, was there a marked difference between 1905 (atleast Subbarama dikshitar and his parampara), and those of other musicians in the 1920s/1930s (i.e. music of MVI/ARI/Musiri etc.)?

Was the music of ARI/Musiri in 1920-1930 more akin to subbarama dikshitar and hence very different from those in the some of the recordings we have which are from the 1950s?

Arun

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover wrote:Sometime ago our Arun developed a 'primitive' software to experiment with patterns of gamakams on the computer 'objectively' that I loved. But then Arun lost interest and dedication ( as is his usual nature).
Ha-ha :) I missed that one. Quite true indeed. Although I do tinker with this once in a while. Even recently on one my posts on my blog (Ragas and Scales: http://sunson.wordpress.com/2007/08/19/ ... nd-scales/ ), a few samples were generated using this. These (4th and 5th sample) are the ones that "were supposed to be" Sankarabharanam - but the unanimous consensus of the readers was that they sucked pretty bad :)

But I do shift around a lot. Point taken.

PS: now how is that for devious advertisement of my blog ;) ?

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 25 Sep 2007, 21:57, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Short answer to your question is that the music of the 30's was quite different from the music of the 60's and now that of the 80's. I personally like the 60's. You can listen to the 78RPM of the 30's of ARI/SSI/MVI etc and compare their recordings after 50's (of course the audio is terrible) to see the change/evolution in them. During 30's and 40's SSI was indeed brilliant. You will notice a remarkable lack of gamakas in his music since he was very fast paced. We are also finding that fast music is difficult to analyze essentially due to lack of gamakas. I do not think the raga bhavana can be brought out in the kalpana svaram singing (sorry Suji to disagree with you). Ragas exist only in the 'aalaapana' (akaara based) also only in the slow pace. GNB's fast brigas (in my view) do not reveal the 'shakl' of the raga. The instruments (vina,flute, violin, nadasvaram(the best)) are ideal for raga elaboration. Ideally the fretless vina (gottuvadyam) is ideal for raga elaboration and micro-gamakas (Uday (if he is reading this) can elaborate the ideas scientifically!). Human voice has limitations (except in the case of the rare blessed souls like MS, SJanaki ( :) )as it is not as 'malleable' like the instruments. Perhaps I should stop my rambling here (as otherwise I will start sounding like Arun :)

Arun
Thanks for that blog! I loved it and the bold experimentation behind. Don't be diffident and defensive (and apprehensive too :) We all know you are not a 'performing' musician but that does not detract from your 'scientific' inquiring nature! Do you hear shaankarabharaNam in MD's nOTTu svaram ? and for that matter does anybody refuse to label it 'shankarabharaNam' :)
a rose is still a rose whether it bloomed in bhArata varSha (full of fragrance) or in the frigid stony crevices of Canada (totally devoid of frgrance) :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

arunk wrote:PS: now how is that for devious advertisement of my blog ;) ?

Arun
Really nice :) :)

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:Short answer to your question is that the music of the 30's was quite different from the music of the 60's and now that of the 80's.
I did ask my mother if she remembers anything of her mother's singing - specifically in kritis in tODi rAga. [Whatever my grand mother learnt was in the decade of 1910]

Unfortunately my mother was not able to shed much light on it - because when my grandmother could really sing well, my mother was very young, and could not have paid attention. By the time my mother could really appreciate her mother's singing, my grandmother had sort of lost her voice, and only playing harmonium. (I remember bits of her harmonium playing, and she was an excellent player, as my very young memory remembers).

There is a clue to the excessive kampita in Ga and Da in todi being a late entry in it's history. There is a rAga called shuddha tODi - about which Prof R Satyanarayana says - which takes the same svaras as tODi, but with very limited kampana on gandhara and dhaivata. ( I had posted a translation of his speech in the jayachAmarAjendra oDeyar thread). It has been a comman occurence when rAgas morph, the older form gets a prefix as shudda (pure) as evident in cases such as shuddha dhanyAsi, shuddha sAvEri and shudda vasanta.

-Ramakriya

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover

I am skeptical - need more evidence.

I am not sure how much conclusions you can draw based on the 33RPM recordings of musicians to comment on their vidwat. I think all of them were very short in nature quite contrary to the concert format of 19th century. In other words, they could have been "packaged" for release in 33RPM. Also, there were also slow-paced musicians like Tiger then. Not everyone went express speed all the time. I also did not think Musiri went super-fast (?). Also we do have regardings of vINa dhanammal - they are in the form of music we love today. Now even though they are probably from a later time - I would highly doubt that she in particular would have altered her style "as per modern times".

Besides do you realize what you are saying would mean? The so call prized gamakas of carnatic music in the form that we cherish today (and i may add puff our chests and thump our chests at the drop of the hat - you know "being most evolved, most sophisiticated, etc. etc.),. is really something that developed *just* 50 years ago.

And thus in spite of an evolved theory and notations of SSP and mentions of gamakas earlier, to our palette today "it is very bland". Damning indeed - isnt it :) ?

But not because of this, IMO, things just does not add up at all.

I do not disagree that music changes/evolves - but to say that the music in the 19th century was "flat" and minimal gamakas (compared to today) like some interpretation of SSP today suggests, is a huge stretch. I like a lot more evidence. For example, how come all musicians suddenly started performing with gamakas in 50s (or event 40s, 30s)? Who was the torch-bearer of that style? Why didnt his/her "unique style" stand out so much that people didn't know of it? (newspapers and media were around then). And there are people alive today who were alive then or even alive 20 years ago. How come this went "unnoticed"?

To reiterate - just does not add up at all. If one applies Occam's Razor - the conclusion is our interpretation of SSP is not entirely accurate that the notations do not reflect all the dynamics of the gamakas.

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 26 Sep 2007, 03:08, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

cmlover wrote:Do you hear shaankarabharaNam in MD's nOTTu svaram ? and for that matter does anybody refuse to label it 'shankarabharaNam' :)[/b]
I hear as much sankarabharam as sample #2 in my blog. It follows the structure like sankarabharanam (i.e. like a raga rather than a western piece in that scale - the difference being the theme of that blog post), but you take the gamakas out - it is like that varnam sample on a piano.

Arun

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

cmlover wrote:Do you hear shaankarabharaNam in MD's nOTTu svaram ? and for that matter does anybody refuse to label it 'shankarabharaNam' :)[/b]
I beg to differ - I do not see shankarAbharaNa - of the akhayalinga vibhO, svararAgasudhA or pOgadirelo ranga - in any of the noteswaras, or in kritis such as varalIlagAna lOla.

They are of course in shankarAbharaNa scale, but not in shankarAbharaNa rAga.

-Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

I am not sure how much conclusions you can draw based on the 78RPM recordings of musicians to comment on their vidwat. I think all of them were very short in nature quite contrary to the concert format of 19th century.
Right. Also, another thing to consider about the early 78 RPM recordings is, musicians are asked to sing at high volume ( 'shout' ) due to the primitive recording technology then. They put this huge 'sound capture' thing in front of the artist and and asked them to sing as loud as they can. That is not quite condusive to singing with subtlities. This, in combination with the short duration probably contributed to some of the 'uniqueness' of those early recordings.

I am stating this just in isolation about the nature of the 78 RPM recordings and not necessarily link it to the gamakam issue at hand.

It is a hard puzzle to figure out how the CM of the 19th century sounded. Interviews like the one Ramakriya attempted is definitely a great idea and people should pursue along those lines.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Time for some objective analysis!
First of all let me correct my bloomer! It is 78rpm and not 33rpm which came much later.

I want you folks to listen carefully to the following and comment on the raga and the pattern of delivery.
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i5y05v

I apologize for the quality since it was made long before some of you were born (or even your parents!). It is from part of my family heirloom and there is a poignant family story behind it which if you like I will narrate (but do not want to digress from our topic or usurp the role of our dear Kulkarni who used to entertain us with his delectable family anecdotes (bless him!)

ninjathegreat

Post by ninjathegreat »

Well, I did ask my grandmother this question about gamakams when she was here with me a couple of months ago. She says that the way gamakams are delivered is different - and it depends on the person, basically - but gamakams have been there since she learnt it (1920s and 30s)... (Her guru was Subbarama Dikshithar's disciple)... She also says that she finds the music nowadays to be more innovative and imaginative than in the 30s or even the 60s, as people are not afraid to innovate these days... (might have misunderstood her, of course :))

vasanthakokilam

CML, I can not download that file. Mediafire says 'Your download is starting' but nothing happens for a while and then it fails. Can you reupload please? Thanks.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
here you go
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i5y05v
I trust this works

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

ramakriya wrote:
cmlover wrote:
I was convinced it was suddha-dhanyasi during a many minute alapana. The he started "sAmavajavaragama
In spite of the single note difference there is amountain of difference between Hindolam and Sud dhanyasi. Perhaps BMK was doing some tricks :)
cml,

The point Arun was making was that he latched on to the wrong AdhAra shaDja ! :)

The fact was he they were singing Hindola all the time, and they must have tuned the tamboora to m-s-s-s (as they do in Hindustani). This must have made Arun to fix the AdhAra ShaDja on madhyama - and that is how he heard Shuddha dhanyAsi.

-Ramakriya
Here is a song from a kannada movie:

Ilayaraja nicely illustrating grahabhEda.

http://www.musicindiaonline.com/p/x/G4x ... As1NMvHdW/

Now, is it based on shuddha dhanyAsi or hindOLa? ;)

-Ramakriya
Last edited by ramakriya on 27 Sep 2007, 22:09, edited 1 time in total.

arunk

Post by arunk »

hey that is pretty cool. BTW, I knew rajkumar was this good - he can even sing like janaki ;) (i am talking about the info about this song as displayed by mio)

cmlover - thanks for that one. Reminded me of vaNDinam muralum sOlai by MSS (azhwar pasuram). Also can people see similarities to hindolam in that?

Arun

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

with his shruti travelling all over town I would say he is singing
avial :)

vasanthakokilam

cmlover wrote:VK, here you gohttp://www.sendspace.com/file/i5y05v I trust this works
Thanks CML. Great example to illustrate what we are talking about. In a few places it sounds a lot closer to sindu bhairavi and in most places like thodi with less pronounced gamakas. It is probably due to the fast paced nature of the song.

Arun, I did not hear hindolam in it, but I was not keenly paying attention to all of it either.

vasanthakokilam

Ramakriya, where all are the grahabedam segments? Are you referring to the swara singing starting around 4:25? If not, or if there are other places, please point to them as well. Thx.

ramakriya

Post by ramakriya »

vasanthakokilam wrote:Ramakriya, where all are the grahabedam segments? Are you referring to the swara singing starting around 4:25? If not, or if there are other places, please point to them as well. Thx.
vk,

You can see it begining around 3:30 to about the time you are indicating.

-Ramakriya

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Ramakriya.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Well done VK!
I just don't know where Arun listens to Hindolam!
That was by shanmukavadivu (who I guess is the mother of MS). It is not the speed alone but tODi was sung more flat in those days.
Now listen to the following
http://www.sendspace.com/file/i26bhu
We can then discuss both together! In the absence of DRS I will need a lot of help from ramakriya in my interpretations :)
I wish some of the oldtimers should also participate in these discussions. TMK is presenting only secondhand information when he is interpreting SSP...

arunk

Post by arunk »

I did not imply that the whole thing is like hindOLam: resemblances are fleeting and with tODi it is possible because absence of pa in tODi is not uncommon (e.g. check the entire second half of tODi varnam) - so hovering around "g m d n s" with not much deep tODI ga would resemble hindolam. You bring ri "or remember its feel" - then the resemblance would just vanish in a flash

But then I was the guy who thought hindOLam was suddha-dhanyasi :)

Arun
Last edited by arunk on 28 Sep 2007, 06:59, edited 1 time in total.