RaagaRasika - A Podcast series on Carnatic music

To teach and learn Indian classical music
RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

RaagaRasika is a free series of podcasts and interviews by Vidya Subramanian and Devesh Satyavolu exploring the world of Carnatic Music. The series will be a discussion on various topics related to Carnatic music that may interest both novice as well as more experienced listeners.

The 1st and 2nd episodes of Raagarasika are now available at www.raagarasika.com and raagarasika.podbean.com

RaagaRasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-5 of Raagarasika: A podcast series on Carnatic music (www.raagarasika.com) are now available.

Topics covered are:

Episode 1: Welcome to Raaga Rasika

Episode 2: Featured Song: Maha Ganapathim

Episode 3: Raaga Discussion – Naattai

Episode 4: The Art of Listening

Episode 5: Featured Place – Chennai

RaagaRasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-10 of the Raagarasika weekly podcasts are available

Episode 6: Featured Person – Padmabhushan Lalgudi G. Jayaraman
Episode 7: Featured Composition -- Navarasa Navaraga Varnam
Episode 8: Raaga Quiz – Kalyani
Episode 9: Featured Raagas -- Kalyani and Mohanakalyani
Episode 10: A Discussion on Gamakams

We wish to thank the rasika community for the encouragement and feedback. Visit www.raagarasika.com to check for weekly updates

RaagaRasika Team.

srkris
Site Admin

Post by srkris »

Nice.

manikand28

Post by manikand28 »

Excellent discussions, i have listened to all so far

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-15 are now available at www.raagarasika.com

Episode 11: Rasikas' Voice -- Your Letters and Questions
Episode 12: Featured Place -- Hampi
Episode 13: Featured Person -- Purandara Dasa
Episode 14: Purandara Dasa Compositions
Episode 15: Featured Raaga -- Sivaranjani

RaagaRasika Team

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I'm listening now :)

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-20 are now available at www.raagarasika.com

Episode 16 : Featured Compositions in Sivaranjani
Episode 17: Carnatic Music Terms -- Naada
Episode 18: Carnatic Music Terms -- Shruti
Episode 19: Featured Instruments -- Shruti Box and Tambura
Episode 20: Rasikas' Voice -- Your Letters and Questions

RaagaRasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-25 are now available at www.raagarasika.com

Episode 21: Carnatic Music Terms Defined -- Shruti Bhedam or Graha Bhedam
Episode 22: Graha Bhedam Illustration
Episode 23: Featured Composer -- Sri. Tallapaka Annamacharya
Episode 24: Featured Compositions of Sri. Annamacharya
Episode 25: Featured Raaga -- Mukhari

RaagaRasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 26-30 of the RaagaRasika podcast series are now available.

Episode 26: Featured Composition -- Enthani Ne
Episode 27: A Discussion on Allied Raagas -- Mukhari and Bhairavi
Episode 28: Raaga Quiz: Mukhari vs. Bhairavi
Episode 29: Featured Composer -- Sri. Oothukadu Venkatakavi
Episode 30: Sri. Oothukadu Ventakakavi's Compositional Style

You can register at www.raagarasika.com to get automatic email alerts whenever a new episode is published.

RaagaRasika team
www.raagarasika.com

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 31-35 are now available at www.raagarasika.com

Episode 31: Featured Composition - Alaavadennaalo Part I
Episode 32: Featured Composition - Alaavadennaalo Part II
Episode 33: Rasikas' Voice -- Your Letters and Questions
Episode 34: Featured Instrument -- Veena Part I
Episode 35: Featured Instrument -- Veena Part II

Write to us through the Contact Us section of www.raagarasika.com

The RaagaRasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 36-40 are now available.

Episode 36: Featured Person -- Smt. Veena Dhanammal
Episode 37: Analysis of a Ghana Ragamalika Thanam - Part I -- Nattai
Episode 38: Analysis of a Ghana Ragamalika Thanam - Part II -- Gowlai
Episode 39: Analysis of a Ghana Ragamalika Thanam - Part III -- Arabhi
Episode 40: Analysis of a Ghana Ragamalika Thanam - Part IV - Sri Ragam

Episode 50 will be a special one in which we plan to include selected renditions by our listeners (vocal or instrumental) not exceeding 3 min each. All, including children, are welcome to submit entries! Please email your renditions in MP3 format along with your name, location and brief particulars about yourself to Raagarasika@live.com.

The Raagarasika Team
www.raagarasika.com

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

vidya subramanian is indeed a highly talented CM artiste whose discussions/demonstrations are highly entertaining and educational. Do keep it up...

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 41-45 of Raagarasika: A podcast series on Carnatic music are now available at www.raagarasika.com. The episodes can also be downloaded from the iTunes library.

Episode 41: Analysis of a Ghana Ragamalika Thanam - Part V - Varali Ragam
Episode 42: Featured Place â€â€Â

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 46-50 are now available. We have received an excellent response to our call for listener submissions. We really appreciate your involvement and enjoyed listening to each submission.

Episode 46: Introduction to Chapu Tala
Episode 47: Carnatic Terms Defined: Arohanam and Avarohanam
Episode 48: Carnatic Music Terms Defined: Types of Raagas - Audava, Shadava, Sampoorna, Krama, Vakra, Varja, Melakarta, Bhashanga
Episode 49: Relevance of Arohanam and Avarohanam in Defining a Raaga's Structure
Episode 50: Special Rasikas’ Voice With Listener Renditions -- Part 1

The Raagarasika Team
www.raagarasika.com

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Raagarasika Team, excellent work. Ms. Vidya does a great job in all the episodes.

Good luck and best wishes.

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

We would like to thank fellow members of the forum for their kind words of encouragement. We continue our Special Rasikas’ Voice Series featuring listener submissions in Episodes 51-55.

Episode 51: Featured Rasika - Shashank Sridhar from PA, and discussion on raaga Hindolam
Episode 52: Featured Rasikas - Aren Skalman from CA on veena and Padma Govardhan from NZ, and discussion on swarajatis
Episode 53: Featured Rasika - Gayathri Satya from CA, and discussion on raaga Madhyamavathy
Episode 54: Featured Rasikas - Seethalakshmi Parameshwaran from OH and Shreya Ashok from TX, and discussion on ragas Tilang and Vasanta
Episode 55: Featured Rasika - Hari Santhanam from PA on violin, and discussion on how varnams make an excellent tool for studying various rhythmic aspects

Listeners can freely access Tiruppavai rendition by Vidya at http://carnaticdarbar.com/Tiruppavai/Ma ... hingal.asp

The Raagarasika Team
www.raagarasika.com

srinivasrgvn

Post by srinivasrgvn »

-
Last edited by srinivasrgvn on 27 Dec 2009, 07:47, edited 1 time in total.

RaagaRasika

Re: RaagaRasika - A Podcast series on Carnatic music

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 56-60 of Raagarasika are now available.

Episode 56 : Featured Rasika - Srinidhi Ananth from NJ, and discussion on raaga Suddha Dhanyasi
Episode 57 : Featured Rasikas - Uma Sankar from MA and Ananya Rajesh from WI, and discussion on the lyrical theme of the kriti "Maakelara vichaaramu"
Episode 58 : Featured Rasika - Srinivas Raghavan from Chennai, and discussion on raaga Brindavani
Episode 59 : Featured Rasika - K. S. Vasantalakshmi from New Delhi, and overview of Navagraha kritis
Episode 60 : Featured Raaga - Atana

Check us out on Facebook!
Raagarasika Team
http://www.raagarasika.com

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 61-65 of Raagarasika are now available.

Episode 61: Featured Raaga Alapana - Atana -- Part I
Episode 62: Featured Raaga Alapana - Atana -- Part II
Episode 63: Raaga Rasika Quiz III
Episode 64: Raaga Rasika Quiz III -- Answers!
Episode 65: Carnatic Terms Defined -- Kalpanaswarams

Vidya has relocated to Chennai and we are happy to announce that we have resumed our programming schedule after a short break. Thanks to all our listeners for your patience and support!

Join us on Facebook!
Raagarasika Team

msakella

Post by msakella »

Today, having gone through your Episode-65 of Kalpana-swaram, I would like to mention the following.
In total, “Marakathavalleem’, the Pallavi, was sung thrice, 1st time starting from Madhyama and 2nd and 3rd times starting from Panchama. The Kalpana-swaram was also sung 3 times in the slow-speed and another 3 times in the higher speed. In the slow-speed while it was ended with Gandhara in the 1st and 3rd times it was ended with Dhaivata in the 2nd time. Instead of discussing only about the singing of the Pallavi of either ‘Mara’ or ‘Marakatha’ at the end of Swara-kalpana it would have been more helpful to the aspirant if the more important point of utilization of Graha-swara and Nyasa-swara is discussed in detail in singing Kalpana-swaram.
Here, two important points are also brought out that a musician, (1) who have attained a high level of proficiency and (2) who had been exposed to numerous compositions across many ragas, can only sing Kalpana-swaram efficiently. In respect of the 1st point it would have been very nice on your part had you demonstrated some methods to get high level of proficiency. But, in respect of the 2nd point, it has been proved that Kalpana-swaram could easily be sung even while learning Varnams and even without learning even a single Kriti even by small kids of 10-12 years. If you are interested you can visit ‘youtube.com/msakella’s channel’ and find the video-clippings under the play-list ‘Kids’ Svarakalpana’. amsharma

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Good point Sarmaji!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, cmlover, Chi. Devesh and Chi. Sow Vidya are doing a very nice job in educating our society through RaagaRasika. But, I feel, they mostly have the performer’s view and a little of teacher’s view. A performer mostly works hard for self-development and whatever he gets in this process gives out to the aspirants. But, the teacher’s role is very highly responsible to equip the aspirant fully to face any kind of hurdle.

In general, the aspirants suffer for the mistakes of their teachers. Believe it or not, I have worked as the Lecturer-in-Violin-the-great for 35 long years even without knowing how to teach even the basic Alankara to my student. All my service I have been thinking that I am the best teacher than all. Only by the grace of the Almighty, I could open my eyes only after my retirement to find that I am worse than the worst. From then onwards only I am truly working hard (it obviously looks that I worked hardly in my service) and able to pay back to the society in a proper way.

At the outset I say that while the performer teaches what he himself knows the teacher should teach what the student needs. That is why people acting the role of a teacher must be very careful in delivering the goods. amsharma

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Dear Sri msakella,

Thanks for your constructive feedback and encouragement. We will certainly keep in mind your valuable suggestions and discuss these aspects of in greater detail in future Raagarasika episodes. Episode 65 was merely an introduction to the concept of kalpana swarams. We would like to mention, however, that the goal of Raagarasika is to be an educational and entertaining program from primarily a rasika’s perspective. As mentioned in Episode 1 of RR, our goal is not to be a substitute for a Guru or teacher. Our mission statement is broadly to expand the number of people who listen to and enjoy Carnatic music. As you have rightly put in your post, a serious aspirant should absolutely go to a Guru to learn the nuances of this great art form. We hope to bring to our listeners episodes that keep growing in quality of content as our own knowledge and understanding of Carnatic music grow with time and experience.

Sincerely,
The Raagarasika Team

msakella

Post by msakella »

While enlightening a Rasika in this art form, I feel that, though not the intricate details, even the basic details must be imparted with proper technical-terms.

In respect of Kalpana-swaram, whether the singer refrains to sing 2 or 3 sylllables or half of the avarta or full avarta of the lyric is of far lesser importance than the highly important and basic starting point (Graha-swara) and leaving point (Nyasa-swara).

In the same manner, in the Episode-45 it is explained that Adi & Rupaka-talas consist of 8 and 6-beats respectively. Even though the full details of the beats, waving-hands and finger-countings are also given, at last, the total number is given in terms of beats. As per the technical-terms furnished in our Taladashapranas it is desirable to give them in terms of ‘Kriyas’ i.e., 8-Kriyas for Adi-tala and 6-Kriyas for Rupaka-tala but not in terms of beats. Either knowingly or un-knowingly, by spelling out such incorrect-technical-terms only, much harm has already been done to the musicology.
So, I sincerely feel, even now, our generation must take every care in doing such things.

Thank you for sportingly agreed to my point. amsharma

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 66-69 of Raagarasika are now available. Theme: GNB

Episode 66: Analysis of a Kalpanaswaram rendition by Sri G N Balasubramaniam
Episode 67: Featured Person: Sri. G. N. Balasubramaniam - Part I
Episode 68: Featured Person: Sri. G. N. Balasubramaniam - Part II
Episode 69: Analysis of an “RTP” by Sri. GNB

Thank you for your continued support.

Raagarasika team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

The RaagaRasika team wishes you all a very happy new year!
Episodes 1-72 are currently available for download.
Episode 70: Featured Place — Kanchipuram
Episode 71: Featured Composition: Vinayakuni
Episode 72: Featured Composition — Kamakshi Varalakshmi
Our discussion continues in this ongoing sub-series featuring compositions by the Carnatic music trinity on the temple town of Kanchipuram...

Join us on Facebook!
Sincerely,
The Raagarasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episode 73: Featured Raaga — Bilahari
Episode 74: Featured Composition — Kanakashaila Viharini

This concludes our sub-series on compositions about the town of Kanchipuram.
Sincerely,
The Raagarasika Team

RaagaRasika

Post by RaagaRasika »

Episodes 1-80 are currently available for download from http://raagarasika.podbean.com/

Episode 75: Featured Raaga — Punnagavarali
Episode 76: Featured Composer — Shyama Shastri
Episode 77: Featured Composition - Sankari Sankuru - Part 1
Episode 78: Featured Composition - Sankari Sankuru - Part II
Episode 79: Featured Composition - Sankari Sankuru - Part III
Episode 80: Featured Composition - Sankari Sankuru - Part IV

This concludes our sub-series on Shyama Shastri and his composition, Shankari Sankuru.
Join us on Facebook at http://www.facebook.com/raagarasika.
Thanks!
The Raagarasika Team

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

The kriya and anga related discussion has been moved to a separate thread: http://www.rasikas.org/forums/viewtopic.php?f=8&t=17780

sonasanthanam

Post by sonasanthanam »

How can I access these podcasts? The web link takes me to a random link. Are these podcasts available on YouTube? Thank you for the response.

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

sonasanthanam wrote: 04 May 2020, 09:41 How can I access these podcasts? The web link takes me to a random link. Are these podcasts available on YouTube? Thank you for the response.
Please check this :
http://raagarasika.podbean.com/
That will get you #71 to 80.

For earlier entries, check '<<Previous Entries' given at the end of the page.