Akella Mallikarjuna Sharma's workshop at Vidyarthi's house

To teach and learn Indian classical music
cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Many thanks NSG Sir!
Any recordings that can be shared?

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Please wait for a week's time;I have to take the best one out of the many recordings done by individual students in their USB type recorders(how should I call them?) and post it.

Vidyaarthi.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:06, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:07, edited 1 time in total.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Cool,
When did you become a chief postmaster general? Are you releasing 1 Rs postoffice stamp ;) , could you upload please in a web photo sharing site like picasa at your leisure please.

msakella

Post by msakella »

In general, no Vidwan is ready to learn something however important it is from any other Vidwan. Even if at all a Vidwan wants to learn a new thing from another Vidwan like him he goes to him alone and learns but no Vidwan invites another Vidwan and sits before him to learn something from him along with his own students, A Vidwan who truely believes that we know very little of this ocean and always there is much not only to learn but also to pass it on to our ‘kids’ can only does this. Now, our ‘Vidyaarthi’, a true Vidyarthi, Neyveli Shri R. Santhana Gopalan did this with true spirit and stood ideal to many others.

It is a wonderful experience to conduct such a workshop before the teacher, being a Vidwan himself, along with his students. Most surprisingly every one among them had responded with equal inquisitiveness, enthusiasm and efficiency. All the arrangements are also made very homely and, in fact, it became difficult to move back from that place. I felt extremely happy about the outcome of it.

When I have expressed that it is the duty of every musician to make the process of teaching music easier for all our kids he agreed with me and promised to cooperate with me in doing the needful.

I am thankful to him for all his affectionate treatment. amsharma
Last edited by msakella on 06 Mar 2009, 14:27, edited 1 time in total.

mridhangam

Post by mridhangam »

Neyveli Sir was very upbeat and very thrilled with the experience of Akella Garu to his house. It was a memorable experience for him. As is his wont neyveli sir always invites musicians and scholars of high calibre for such knowledge sharing exercise. Not only sir is interested in Music but also topics of Religion, Vedas, Upanishads, Tamil Literature, Devaram, Thiruppugazh and the list is endless. Not to mention about the hospitality one gets at the hands of his wife Mrs.Meera Santanagopalan and her mother. They are great people who deserve such a visit from great personalities. Not everyone is blessed like them.

Mannarkoil J Balaji

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:48, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

pshh . I was expecting more interesting pictures.coolkarni I think it is time you dump your cam for a new one ;)
Last edited by ganesh_mourthy on 06 Mar 2009, 20:41, edited 1 time in total.

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

ganesh_mourthy

Post by ganesh_mourthy »

Cool,
when did you become post master general. THAT WAS IN JEST I SUPPOSE.
PicS are tad tacky , it is time you change cam. (WITHOUT SMILEY) THAT WAS IN LIGHTER VEIN TOO.

IF THESE CRAIC FIGURE OF SPEECH CANNOT BE STOOD, THE WORLD BECOMES TOUGH FRIENDS.

Amendments to my previous post ,

THE PICTURES WERE INCREDIBLE AND AWESOME. hope that is convincing ;)

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Just one more anecdote that I wanted to share about shri neyveli. About 5 years before I attended a trinity thematic concert in SKGS ,where shri neyveli and his disciples sang ShyamAsAstri compostions for an hour.

Incidentally they sang about 7 or 8 krithis , not even one was sung in Anandabhairavi . I found it strange and just went straight to him and asked him just like that "enna sir shyama sAstri concertla Anandabhairavi'yE pAdala"(why did you not sing even Anandabhairavi krithi), he did not know me then and I did not know him then, I am sure many musicians would have given some kind of caustic remark or must have smiled outside and ignored me inside.

The surprise was Shri NSG called his disciples who were spread outside the hall and remarked "ayya yO , nAN eppaDi marendennu theriyalaya ivaru soNNar pAru Anandabhairavi pAdalennu nambalAm vittutamE "(O gosh how did we all forget and how did we miss ANandabhairavi). That showed his personality and needless to say his humility.

BTW when I am writing this post , I am hearing his 90's abhOgi nAnnu brOva , sheer bliss. :)

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thank you for such a lovely concert moment, rajeshnat --- and for the translation so that even I could enjoy :).

I can say... one can tell from seeing NSG in the sudience, that even listening, he is doing something special. Yes; even from seeing only the back of his head one can see, one can feel this. His attention must be very much appreciated by performers.

So different from the musician who arrives, chats with his fellows in the front row for a couple of songs, waves to the stage and departs. Still, as they say... it takes all sorts!

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 11:00, edited 1 time in total.

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Thanks Cool for the video. The little segment captures the intensity. I can extrapolate to some extent how the whole session would have been. Quite a climactic moment at the end!! It left me thirsting for more.

vidyaarthi

Post by vidyaarthi »

Dear Rasikas,

Here is a feed(l)back about the workshop from a student(also a performer),Smt.Uma Money who had come all the way from Bangalore:

Like to thank Neyveli sir for including me in this program.

It was indeed a wholesome experience being with Akella sir during the three-day ‘Taala Prasthara’ workshop conducted at Neyveli sir’s house. An eye-opener for young children as well as for performing artistes and teachers wishing to groom their students into mature artistes with ‘laya pragnya’. The program included a lot of practical exercises and was totally participative.

I liked his advice especially about the role of teachers in "making their students independent imparting a strong basic foundation backed with solid encouragement"

coolkarni

Post by coolkarni »

Last edited by coolkarni on 24 Nov 2009, 13:47, edited 1 time in total.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Wonderful writing, Coolji. Even as one who can little idea of what actually happened, you convey to me the feeling of having been there, and make me feel sorry that I was not.

And you make me think...

I have sat through workshops in which Birju Maharaj and Saswati Sen have taught things that I have no conception of how to do --- why should I not do that with music one day, should the opportunity present!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Coolkarni!
Sheer poetry!
Will read carefully (and enjoy) when I get more time!

bilahari

Post by bilahari »

Coolji, that was such a beautiful description of the proceedings... Thank you.

suswara

Post by suswara »

There are very good and patient teachers around world.
The teaching technics are already there. I think it is not necessary to inject the new methods.
First, teacher should encourage the student and mostly all students are very very busy and they may not accept
new methods like Laya Oriented. Now a days We cannot depends only on Music. The available Vidwans are running one after one
to survive themselves. The Sabhas are exploiting the Upcoming artists by not paying suitable remuneration.
Now a days, learning of music is for so many reasons. My dear teachers, please don't test their patiance and please encourage them to
protect and project our classical music.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Any sensible person welcomes any new methodology of any topic and follows it or rejects it basing upon its advantages and disadvantages. Only by the grace of the Almighty I was able to evolve this easy, effective and innovative system in teaching music (both for Vocal and Violin) to the aspirants and, unlike any other music teacher, made this process of teaching strictly time-bound and result-oriented. I always welcome if anybody comes out and prove any defects of it and I am ready to stop my propagation of them for the benefit of our society.
Unless an able teacher teaches his student the easy and short-cut methods of practice etc., mere encouragement will not shape him efficient. Only the easy and short-cut methods in the practice of Violin I taught to my disciple, Chi. O.Rajashekhar made him play the Kalyani-Ata-Varna mostly on ‘A-string’ but not merely the encouraging words (visit http://www.youtube.com/msakella to find him play the same). In the same website small kids ranging between 5 and 15years of age have ably rendered very difficult rhythmical exercises I shall be very happy if you, to prove yourself 'suswara', arrange to upload, within a week’s time to the same site, the video-clippings of other kids of the same age group who had reproduced the same and post the link here. amsharma

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Akellaji

When I have highlighted the facts, every one thought i am supporting Vinayrahul and his father . Only once i have seen Vinayrahul's program at Chiranfort club and i even do not know who they are. I heard Rajashekhar is concentrating whole time on music and he is around 26 years old of age. It is unfortunate you wrote bad about Vinayrahul ,when a talented kid presnted infront of the Mastreo Sri.MSG. You are asking every one's support for Rajshekhar. What is this be called? And who is a True Guru in this case. can you please explain ?

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manjunath, Even then I very clearly wrote that I am answerable only to the Almighty who knows every detail but not to anybody. Even now I reiterate the same. But, now, even without knowing many of the details you have alleged me that I wrote bad about him. I shall be very thankful to you if you give me the exact wordings of my bad writings about him and also the exact wordings of whose support I have sought for in respect of Rajashekhar. After getting all the full details of them I shall certainly explain the needed. amsharma

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Akellaji,

Almighty is not visable and people thro everything on him. Any sensible person can understand the meaning of your posting towards Vinayrahul when he had given a program at chennai. You expect people to encourage Rajashekhars kalyani varnam posting and you discourage a talented kid performing . Is it the job of a True GURU? Akella ji, I travel most of the parts of our contry and abroad. I have the required knowledge to assess a person/musician. If Children like vinayrahul gets discouraged it is no way a lose for the boy since he seems to be a academically braight student and from well off family background. He can do his education better and settle in life. The Classical music only shall miss a talented kid. And for your information there are some 100s of Rajashekhars available in this country and very few say one or two Vinayrahul's . These one or two only need right encouragement and direction in classical music to preserve for the furture generation..Any way it is upto your disciples and your almighty.

msakella

Post by msakella »

Dear brother-member, manjunath, Very sorry. I cannot continue the dialogue with a person who does not know the full details but, some how, likes to make irrational and insensible arguments. amsharma

manjunath

Post by manjunath »

Akellaji,

My arguments or not irrational . Truth is god and you can not look at him or answer him since you dump every thing on him wihout giving answers when required. God knows the truth and when he looks at you or questions you through the people like me you can not answer him,because truth is god.

HarishankarK

Re:

Post by HarishankarK »

vidyaarthi wrote: 02 Mar 2009, 21:20 Dear friends,

Please note down my address:

"Periyava Pichai"
Plot No.1,
V.C.Kaliappa Naicken street(extn),
Nehru Nagar,
Ramapuram
Chennai-89

You can come via Nesappakkam road if you are coming from KK Nagar or via Nandamakkam if you are reaching via Kathippara.

Thanks and welcome to the workshop.

Vidyaarthi
Oh my God - this is so close to my home in K.K. Nagar - Vembuliamman Koil street - yet so far because now I live in Sydney - I would have loved to attend this workshop had I been in Chennai