Let us learn some Sanskrit

kvchellappa

Re: Let us learn some Sanskrit

Post by kvchellappa »

It is प्राप्तं not प्रारब्ध, that RSR has in mind. rshankar's interpretation is right though प्रारब्ध may decide प्राप्तं .
RSR, you perhaps typed tha for त; you must follow North Indian transliteration of t.
As for anuswAra (m), the rule is anuswAra is used in the middle of a sentence or line in poetry, and म् is used at the end. Some people even elongate the ending m while chanting (like Anatharama Dikshithar would do).

RSR

Post by RSR »

" பிராரப்த கர்மம் "...வீட்டில் பிள்ளைகள் சரியாக இல்லையென்றால் , தகப்பனார் தனது தலையில் அடித்துக்கொண்டு 'பிராரப்த கர்மம்' ( தான் முற்பிறவியில் செய்த கர்மபலன் ' என்று சொல்வார். . ( that is explanation of context ). Shankar_ji is understanding my problem correctly. . p rA p tha (as in thamizh) m is what I have in mind. I still think it is a sanskrit word. I got a detailed sanskrit disctionary last night. It is a pity that every one is using transliterated sanskrit rather than devanagari sanskrit.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sachi Sir, 'praarabdha karmam' ( denunciative meaning) and 'praaptham' ( empathy in meaning..or consoling) that I have in mind are different.

RSR

Post by RSR »

http://bhagavata.org/downloads/SanskritDictionary.html
Huge list . Hoping to get clarification there.

RSR

Post by RSR »

'sivaloka praapthi adainthaar' is a common usage in tamil. ( denoting the 'passing away' of a person ) . So, 'praaptham ' ( I am using it as tha, ttha, dha, ddha) சிவலோக பிராப்தி அடைந்தார். So, the original sanskrit meaning might be that 'he missed the bus'. for praaptham (destination, reach etc in a loose way).

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Sir, I give up! I realise that my lack of knowledge in Tamil is a severe limitation in helping you. Better I stop right now rather than create unnecessary confusion.
May God confer all success on your endeavours.
Sachi

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Sivaloka prapthi means reaching sivaloka. Praptham is getting or reaching. Here the unlucky man who died must have reached the destination without bus or any vehicle!

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

There is often some subtle difference between the usage in Tamizh and Samskrtham about usage of what appear to be identical words. We must learn it afresh rather than try to relate it to Tamizh meaning unless one is doing etymological research. It also serves no purpose to get into where the word came from. Usage is a better guide than only dictionary. Apte gives literary usages also for many entries. A talk with a knowledgeable person will be more useful than exchange by correspondence. Some suggestions as they occurred.

RSR

Post by RSR »

Sachi Sir, It is true that my quest for 'sanskritic' words very frequently used in both written and spoken tamil, can be really helped by native tamil speakers,better . But once we find the likely and nearest sanskrit word, you can be of great help in getting the exact sanskrit word. It is sad that there is no tamil to sanskrit translator. I tried google translator for tamil to english. We do get correct ( near) translation into English.( how is it that google translator does not offer tamil to sanskrit ?) If we use spoken-sanskrit site and type the English word, we get the sanskrit word.
http://spokensanskrit.org/
It takes time. and effort but can be done. The tamil words in my list are all really used by authors. . especially Janakiraman's short stories and novels ( as they are mostly about brahmin households of Tanjore delta areas. And in our discussions about CM and concerts, we are very freely using many of those terms. They are very much in vogue. I am trying to find out if the sanskrit nouns can all end in 'm'. Sri.Chellappa has clarified nicely.

RSR

Post by RSR »

@83-> Chellappa Sir-> True. mostly due to wrong pronunciation. I think, I have found a solution. First , I made use of http://greenmesg.org/sanskrit_online_tools
and typed in kyoto english ( approximating to the thamizh word in question). I got the devanagari transliteration. ( I copied the devanagari word to http://spokensanskrit.org
as input. If the letters were indeed correct, I got the exact transliteration, meaning and variety of meanings too. I chose the meaning that is closest to tamil usage.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
examples are [ items 27, 30,31,38,40, 41,etc. ..those having links are from spokensanskrit site. Sometimes, I dont get any response -presumably, because of wrong word. as input. So, we get fine shades in writing the words correctly.
------------------------------
It takes time but at least we have a a means now to learn the exact lettering and meaning. Tamil usage is mostly correct , and sweeter too when it ends in 'm'. After all, so many generations of sanskrit knowing tamil scholars cannot be all that wrong.
https://sites.google.com/site/rsrtrials ... ords?pli=1

RSR

Post by RSR »

The link mentioned last in post -85 is broken as the site no longer exists. I deleted the site by mistake.
The Mods are requested to delete the link please.
@vasanthakokilam
Thank you