Clever Sanskrit Poetry

Rsachi

Clever Sanskrit Poetry

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Sanskrit Rasikas, I came across this wonderful document on the Net, which lists several examples of extremely clever Sanskrit poetry. The example I have scanned below takes the cake (or modaka if you like). It quotes a verse from Sri Vedantadeshika's Padukasahasram, which eulogises the padukas of the Lord in two different ways, through a rearrangement that also solves a wonderful mathematical problem of moving the knight across all squares on a chessboard!! How is THAT!!!!????

I cross-checked here

PS: Sri Deshika lived after Sri Ramanuja, in the 13/14th centuries AD. So the scanned article dates him wrongly.
Last edited by Rsachi on 08 Nov 2012, 22:06, edited 1 time in total.

classicallover

Re: Let us learn some Sanskrit

Post by classicallover »

rsachi,

you should have posted it in a separate thread that it merits and so that there is no digression in this thread as well as searches for your post would be easier. Pls cut it and post a new thread.

vasanthakokilam

Re: Wonder Sanskrit is: Clever Sanskrit Poetry

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Done.

Rsachi, change the topic title, if necessary.

Rsachi

Re: Clever Sanskrit Poetry

Post by Rsachi »

Can't help post one more, even more amazing in fact!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Swami Desika's PAdukA sahasram is a veritable mine of such citrakavi which is a tribute to the versatility (and the author's imagination too) of the Sanskrit language!

vasanthakokilam

Wow!

Question: Would most Sanskrit knowledgeable ( assume good expertise ) people know to parse it that way and understand the meaning?
Or this is more in the brain teaser category?

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

It is totally a brain teaser.
By the way, I want you to know, VK, that most examples of classical Sanskrit (some exceptions are Sankara's works like Bhajagovindam) have a clever word play which requires analysis and explanation annd then only its beauty dawns on the listener. That is one of the reasons in my opinion that Sanskrit does not get too popular.

Let me give an example:
agajAnanapadmArkaM gajAnanaM aharniSaM |
anEkadantaM bhaktAnAm ekadantaM upAsmahe ||

the first word is 'clever', as it creates beauty of alliteration, but hides the meaning:
aga (mountain) ja (offspring) padma (lotus) arka (sun) which means that just like the sun is to the lotus (makes it smile and bloom in joy), Ganesha brings joy to the face of Parvati.
Similarly. anEkadantam means one who gives (dantaM) plenty (anEka) (of boons) to his devotees (bhaktAnAM).

PS: I sm still figuring out a way to consistently transliterate easily on my iPad, as I don't find a suitable transliteration software app between Devanagari/Kannada to English. Suggestions welcome!

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

RS & Vasko,

anEkadantam's explanation is not correct. Even the split is wrong. The correct way is : " anEkadam tam bhaktaanaam ekadantam upaasmahe | " Sandhi makes it anEkadantam . It means contextually, " among so many of your devotees, I pray to you single-toothed one ! " This is a shabdaalankaaram.

The title of the thread should include the actual category of the poetry i.e., Chitrakaavyam. There are so many types of this style. There was one book I was told by name Chitrakaavyamanjari which gives so many of these.

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

Some of the aspects of the Chitrakavyam have been explained in this article : http://rivr.sulekha.com/chitrakavya-chi ... 41896_blog . References are also given at the end.

One more reference giving the classification & details is :

http://books.google.co.in/books?id=ObFC ... ya&f=false

This article is from the Encyclopaedia of Indian Literature : A-Devo by Amaresh Datta, published by the Sahitya Academy, 1987.

One more category but very simple is the asking & self-answering slokas. For example :

siimantiniishu kaa saantaa ? |
raajaanaam ko guNottamah ? |
atraivoktam na budhyate ||

Some one may try this please.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

I continue to think it is anEkadaM+taM. ..him who gives plenty...
Anyway this exchange itself shows the troubles in understanding Sanskrit. We have at least one 'expert' amongst us so the thread will go on!

Pratyaksham Bala

Post by Pratyaksham Bala »

'agajAnanapadmArkaM... ...'
Check this:-
http://sa.wikipedia.org/w/index.php?tit ... ion=submit

vasanthakokilam

I am now inclined to think about what people say about sanskrit about context insensitivity of Sanskrit and its un-ambigousness and why it is suitable for computer programming etc. (( most probably those who do not know much about it, including me, the so called 'arai korai' ).

That may still be so, but Sanskrit is looking to me more and more like some computer languages (like Perl, Perl fans do not come after me for this ;) )
where the writer can write a great ( and clever ) program that is correct but it is extremely hard to read and make sense out of it ( these are humorously called write-only languages ).

This yAyAyA poem reminded me of computer languages that people make up just for fun and intellectual curiosity. There is one language which has only 8 characters (whose name I can not post here without the forum software replacing it with 'censored word') which is like this
"++++++++++[>+++++++>++++++++++>+++>+<<<<-]>++.>+.+++++++..+++.>++.<<+++++++++++++++.>.+++.------.--------.>+.>."

This is the source code to print hello word ;)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

The following chitram maybe useful for all Rasikas

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

CmL, nice chitram.

Pratyaksham Bala

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

I don't claim to be an expert of any kind. If I don't know, I consult then tell. In fact, no one can claim to be an expert in all aspects or facets of Samskritam. If anyone claims to be so, there would be no greater fool or braggart. Even if you start studying Samskritam from childhood, you can master only one aspect and gain a reasonable knowledge in one more, that too when you get to be 45 years old. Veda, Tarka, Nyaaya, Poorva Mimamsa , Uttara Mimamsa, VyaakaraNa, Ayurveda, Upanishad, etc are only some of the aspects of Samskritam. Even in Vedas, there is a gradation in the expertise achieved and people can be at different levels.

Pratyaksham Bala

विलोम काव्यं = Palindrome (in Tamil: mAlaimAtru)

रामकृष्ण विलोम काव्यं (rAmakRiShNa viloma kAvyaM) by kavi sUrya is Ramayanam when read normally, and in reverse it is Mahabharatham!

The entire kavyam in Sanskrit is available here:-
http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/raamakrshhna.pdf

(A reference to this is already posted in a thread under Tamil section, in the course of the discussion on 'mAlaimAtru' poems.)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

classiclover
One more category but very simple is the asking & self-answering slokas. For example :

Since nobody got it you must explain!

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

viditam atraivoktam na budhyate chet !!!

vasanthakokilam

Pratyaksham Bala wrote:.

रामकृष्ण विलोम काव्यं (rAmakRiShNa viloma kAvyaM) by kavi sUrya is Ramayanam when read normally, and in reverse it is Mahabharatham!

The entire kavyam in Sanskrit is available here:-
http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/raamakrshhna.pdf
Can PB or others explain how this viloma kAvyam of Ramayana and Mahabharatha is put together at a high level, without delving too much into Sanskrit itself? ( if that is possible ). There is probably a lot of cleverness involved. Can this be explained to someone who does not know Sanskrit much and why this seems to be possible in Sanskrit and not easy or possible in other languages.

BTW, how much of the two epics are covered in this cleverness? Is it 'bhAvayAmi', 'yEn paLLi KondirayyA' or 'pArkaDal alai mElE' type of 'abstracting through the major events' story telling technique or something totally different?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

VK
Other than in sanskrit I have not heard of such a composition in any other Indian (or European) languages. There is even a kavyam called Raghava YAdavIyam by one VenkaTAdhvari which eulogizes Rama forwards and Krishna backwards!
To appreciate these treasures one must study Sanskrit properly including first the devnagari :D

classicallover

Post by classicallover »

Vasko & cml,

Palindromic poems have been attempted I am told in small scale in Telugu which borrows many concepts from Samskritam. The hasyakavi Tenali Ramakrishna of Sri Krishnadevaraya's court, is credited with doing this very often. Hence he was given the title, " vikaTakavi " which itself is a palindrome.

Pratyaksham Bala

vasanthakokilam:

Here is a site where translation of a line from the 'Viloma kAvyam of Ramayana/Mahabharatha' is given:-
http://knramesh.blogspot.in/2012/02/ram ... drome.html

Regular:
तं भूसुतामुक्तिमुदारहासमं वन्दे यतो भव्यभवम् दयाश्री:
taM bhUsutAmuktimudArahAsaM vandE yatO bhavyabhavam dayAshrI:
"I pay my homage to Him who rescued Sita, whose laughter is captivating, whose incarnation is grand, and from whom mercy and splendor arise everywhere."

Reverse:
श्रीयादवं भव्यभतोयदेवं संहारदामुक्तिमुतासुभूतम्
shrIyAdavaM bhavyabhatOyadEvaM saMhAradAmuktimutAsubhUtam.
"I bow before that Sri Krishna, the descendent of Yaadava family; who is a divinity of the sun as well as the moon; who destroyed Putana who only gave destruction; and who is the soul of all this universe."

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Classicallover
Could you verify whether the translation is correct?
I have difficulty resolving the sandhi!

keerthi

Post by keerthi »

cmlover wrote:Other than in sanskrit I have not heard of such a composition in any other Indian (or European) languages.
The palindromic (gata-pratyAgata), as well as other kinds of citrakavita can definitely be found in KannaDa, Telugu and Tamil. Palindrome poems are quite common, and can be found in pre-classical Arabic (even in the Qur'An), Greek and Chinese.

Question: Would most Sanskrit knowledgeable ( assume good expertise ) people know to parse it that way and understand the meaning?
Or this is more in the brain teaser category?
ChitrakAvyam has been denounced by aestheticians (kAvya mImAmsakas) as being adhama-kavya - the least / worst kind of poetry, since most often, it falls very low in terms of poetic or aesthetic content. Any pleasure or wonder it creates in the reader / rasika/ sahRdaya-aesthete's mind is out of wonder / bewilderment at the verbal gymnastics, rather than out of any significant poetic value.

Chitrakavita is used sparingly, and often uses rare connotations of terms (listed in special lexicons called nAnArtha-kOSa-s) and uncommon grammatical constructions. It is a fringe phenomenon, and even amongst sanskritists, all citra-kavitA isn't easily comprehensible. It is known as 'duSkara-kAvya' meaning abstruse kavya.

For instance, the rAmakRSNa-vilOma-kAvya verse given above is fairly simple, and can be understood on inspection. The ekAkSarI verse of vEdAnta desika given above requires a gloss and can't be understood without the commentary [or resorting to the special lexicons].But isn't this true of the mAlai mArrudal poems in the tevAram, which need a gloss to be understood?

hatakambari

Post by hatakambari »

classicallover wrote: ....

This thread may be old, but I didn't see any answers. So, let me try ....

siimantini -- woman
siimantiniishu kaa saantaa -- Who is the -- among women? (Not sure what saantaa means here)

But ... the answer lies in the first and last letters of the question ..siitaa!

Same for the next: raajaanaam ko guNottamah ? Who is the best among kings? Put together the first and last letters -- raamah!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Looks right.
sImantinIShu saa (sItA) shAntA
rAjAnAm sa (rAmah) guNottamah||
You can add
shitikaNThAnAm ko mahAnubhAvah
:)

hatakambari

Post by hatakambari »

cmlover wrote: You can add
shitikaNThAnAm ko mahAnubhAvah
Good one too! Wonder if there are more of these?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Thisone is in Tamil
மோகம் கொள்பவர் அனைத்து இந்தியராலும் யாரடி?
:D

Pratyaksham Bala

'மோதீ' (મોદી) அல்லவோ அவருடைய பெயர் !

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

OK
மோகம் கொள்ளடி அவரிடம் மனதை செலுத்தி!

Pratyaksham Bala

மோக மமதைக்கு யார் வைத்தார் தீ?

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

Good one!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

நல்லவர் ஆட்சி எப்போது மலருமோ?

Pratyaksham Bala

சிந்தையைச் சீராக்குவான் இவன்.

Pratyaksham Bala

மாமன் இவன்; மருமகன் வேலன்.

Pratyaksham Bala

ராவணனுக்கு இவன் எமன்.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

பார் புகழும் குணவதி.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

I am reminded of two slokas learned in my seventh standard (second form as it was called then in 1944):

kastoori jAyatE kasmAth
kO hanthi kariNAm kulam
kim kuryAth kAthrO yuddhE
mrugAth simmaH palAyethE
( Does it make sense: lion runs away from the deer !)

viRta nagarE ramyE
(In beautiful Virata nagara)
keechakAth upakeechakam
(from one branch to the other)
athra kriyApadam vakthrE
(Find the verb in this sentence)
haimam dAsyAmi kankNam
(I will give a golden bracelet to the one who finds the verb)

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share

Adi kruthigai

Kalidasa delights!
King Bhoja declares: I will give you the fourth line of a four-line verse; the challenge for you is to complete the verse most appropriately by filling in the remaining lines of the verse. The fourth line that he gave was the following:

अम्भोधिर्जलधिः पयोधिरुदधिर्वारां निधिर्वारिधिः ||

The funny part of this proposition is that there are six words in this line of verse, but they all mean the same, namely, ‘ocean’! The poets of the assembly including Kalidasa dispersed for the day carrying the uneasy burden of this challenge which required to fill three lines of a verse which in its fourth line did nothing but to repeat the word ‘ocean’ six times. The next day when the assembly reconvened, Kalidasa brought a delightful verse:

अम्बा कुप्यति तात मूर्ध्नि निहता गङ्गेयमुत्सृज्यताम्
विद्वन् षण्मुख कागतिस्त्विह भवेत्तस्याः स्थिरायाश्चिरम् ।
कोपारोपकरालशेषवदनैः प्रत्युत्तरं दत्तवान्
अम्भोधिर्जलधिः पयोधिरुदधिर्वारां निधिर्वारिधिः ॥

Ambā kupyati tāta mūrdhni nihatā gaṅgēyamutsr̥jyatām
vidvan ṣaṇmukha kāgatistviha bhavēttasyāḥ sthirāyāściram.
Kōpārōpakarālaśēṣavadanaiḥ pratyuttaraṁ dattavān
ambhōdhirjaladhiḥ payōdhirudadhirvārāṁ nidhirvāridhiḥ.

Subrahmanya, the little son of Lord Shiva and Goddess Parvati, goes angrily and complains to his father. ‘'Father, please get rid of this Ganga on your head, Mother is very much upset about it'’. The Father replies, '‘Oh Six-headed One, she has been living on my head for long. Where shall I ask her to go?''

The six-headed son, angry beyond words, replied with each of his six heads in succession: ''Ocean, ocean, ocean, ocean, ocean, ocean!’'

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

So beautiful. Thank you!
I also read two days ago in Raghuvamsha, Kalidasa's comparing the lapping waves of a river as if in mridangam accompaniment to lovely damsels dancing on the bank ☺

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share

அக்பரின் செல்லப்பிள்ளையாகத் திகழ்ந்த வடமொழிக்கவிஞன் ரஹீம் என்னும் கானாகான். அவனுடைய வடமொழி ச்லோகங்கள் நெஞ்சை அள்ளுபவை. எடுத்துக்காட்டிற்கு ஒன்ற

ரத்னாகரோஸ்தி ஸத³னம்ʼ க்³ருʼஹிணீ ச பத்³மா
கிம்ʼ தே³யமஸ்தி ப⁴வதே ஜக³தீ³ஸ்²வராய|
ராதா⁴க்³ருʼஹீதமனஸேமனஸே ச துப்⁴யம்ʼ
த³த்தம்ʼ மயா நிஜமனஸ்ததி³த³ம்ʼ க்³ருʼஹாண||

திருமாலே, உனக்கு ரத்னங்களின் இருப்பிடமான கடலே இருப்பிடம். மனையாளோ திருமகள். உலகத்தின் நாயகனான உனக்கு கொடுக்கத்தகுந்த பொருள் என்ன இருக்கிறது. ஆனால் உன்னுடைய மனத்தை ராதை எடுத்துக் கொண்டு விட்டாளல்லவா. மனமற்ற உனக்கு என் மனத்தைக் கொடுக்கிறேன். எடுத்துக் கொள்..

இஸ்லாமிய கவிஞனான ரஹீமின் வடமொழி ச்லோகத்தைப் பார்த்தீர்களா.....

பொயு ஐந்தாம் நூற்றாண்டிலோ அதற்குச் சற்று முன்னமேயோ இருந்த பாண்டிய மன்னனான சுந்தரபாண்டியன் வடமொழியிற் பெரும்புலவன். மீமாம்ஸை, வேதாந்தம் என்று அனைத்திலும் கரை கண்டவன். அவன் எழுதிய ஒரு நீதிநூல் நீதி-த்வி-ஷஷ்டிகா. நூற்றிருபது ச்லோகங்களைக் கொண்டது. அதிலிருந்து ஒரு ச்லோகம்.

ஆக்ருஷ்டேன மதிமதா
தத்த்வார்த²விசாரணே மதி: கார்யா|
யதி³ ஸத்ய: க: கோப:
ஸ்யாத் அன்ருʼதம்ʼ யதி³ கிம்ʼ நு கோபேன||

ஒருவன் நம்மீது குறைகூறுவானேயானால், நாம் அறிவாளியாக இருந்தால் உண்மைப் பொருளை அறிய யோசித்துப் பார்க்க வேண்டும். அவன் கூறிய குறை உண்மையானால் எதற்காக் கோபம் கொள்ள வேண்டும். அவன் கூறியது பொய்யானால் கோபத்தினால் என்ன பயன்...

ஆக யார் என்ன சொன்னாலும் கோபிக்கக் கூடாது

வடமொழிக்கவிஞன் ரஹீமின் மற்றொரு ச்லோகம்

நவனீதஸாரமபஹ்ருʼத்ய ஸ²ங்கயா
ஸ்வீக்ருʼதம்ʼ யதி³ பலாயனம்ʼ த்வயா|
மானஸே மம க⁴னாந்த⁴தாமஸே
நந்த³னந்த³ன கத²ம்ʼ ந லீயஸே||

நந்தகோபனின் மகனே, நீ வெண்ணையைத் திருடி அச்சத்தினால் ஒளியவேண்டும் என்ற எண்ணத்தைக் கொள்வாயேயானால் அடர்ந்த இருள் சூழ்ந்த என்னுடைய மனத்தில் ஏன் ஒளிய மறுக்கிறாய்...

கண்ணனை மனத்தில் ஒளியச்சொல்லும் கவின்மிகு யுக்தியைக் கண்டீர்களா..

.வடமொழிக்கவிஞன் ரஹீம் தந்த வேதாந்த ச்லோகம்

पुराणान्ते श्मशानान्ते मैथुनान्ते च या मतिः।
सा मतिः सर्वदा स्यात् चेत् को न मुच्येत बन्धनात्।।

புராணாந்தே ஸ்²மஸா²னாந்தே
மைது²னாந்தே ச யா மதி:|
ஸா மதி: ஸர்வதா³ ஸ்யாத் சேத்
கோ ந முச்யேத ப³ந்த⁴னாத்||

புராணங்களைக் கேட்டபின்னும் சுடுகாட்டில் தமக்கு விருப்பமானவர்கள் எரிந்த பின்னும் ஆண்-பெண் கூடலுக்குப் பின்னும் வைராக்யம் கலந்தாற்போலொரு நிம்மதி தோன்றுமே, அந்த நிம்மதியே எப்போதும் இடையறாது நிலைத்திருந்தால் எவன்தான் ஸம்ஸார பந்தத்திலிருந்து மோக்ஷத்தை அடைய மாட்டான்...

மோக்ஷத்திற்கான விளக்கத்தை முஸ்லீம் கவிஞன் எப்படி விளக்குகிறான் பார்த்தீர்களா...

pattamaa

Post by pattamaa »

ratnakarosti sadanam !! aha.... how beautifully sung as virutham by MDR and also explained the meaning in such simple words !!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share

நேராகப் படித்தால் ராமாயணம்; தலைகீழாகப் படித்தால் மஹாபாரதம்!

ராமாயண, மஹாபாரதம்

ஹிந்து தர்மத்தின் அற்புதமான இதிஹாஸங்களாக இலங்குபவை ராமாயணமும மஹாபாரதமும். வேதத்தின் சுருக்கமே ராமாயணம் என்றும் ஐந்தாவது வேதம் தான் மஹாபாரதம் என்றும் தொன்று தொட்டு இந்த நாட்டில் போற்றப்பட்டு வருகிறது.உலகில் முதல் முதல் எழுந்த காவியம் என்பதால் ஆதி காவியம் என ராமாயணம் கருதப்படுகிறது. 644 ஸர்க்கங்களில் 24000 சுலோகங்களில் ஏழு காண்டங்களில் தர்மத்தின் திரு உருவான ராமனின் கதையை சம்ஸ்கிருதத்தில் மஹரிஷி வால்மீகி தருகிறார்.

18 பர்வங்களில் (100 உப பர்வங்களில்) ஒரு லட்சம் சுலோகங்களில் 2314 அத்தியாயங்களில் மஹரிஷி வேத வியாஸரால் மஹா பாரதம் இயற்றப்பட்டுள்ளது.

காலம் காலமாக இந்த இரு இதிஹாஸங்களும் உலகின் எல்லாப் பகுதிகளிலும் ஏராளமானோரை பல்லாயிரக்கணக்கில் கட்டுரைகள், நூல்கள் மற்றும் காவியங்களை வெவ்வேறு மொழிகளில் இயற்ற ஊக்குவித்திருப்பதை உலகமே அறியும்.

தைவக்ஞர் சூரிய கவி

ஆனால் பாரதத்தைச் சேர்ந்த மூன்று அதிசயக் கவிஞர்கள் இந்த இரு இதிஹாஸங்களை வைத்து ஒரு அற்புதமான அதிசயமான செயலை சம்ஸ்கிருத மொழியில் சாதித்துள்ளனர்.

தைவக்ஞர் சூரிய கவி என்பவர் பெரும் சம்ஸ்கிருத விற்பன்னர், கவிஞர்! அவர் 36 ஸ்லோகங்கள் அடங்கிய ராமகிருஷ்ண விலோம காவ்யம் என்று ஒரு காவியத்தை இயற்றியுள்ளார். இதில் ஸ்லோகத்தை முதலிலிருந்து படித்துக் கொண்டு போனால் ராமாயணக் கதையைக் காணலாம். ஸ்லோகத்தின் பின்னாலிலிருந்து திருப்பிப் படித்துக் கொண்டு போனால் வருவது இன்னொரு ஸ்லோகம். அதில் மஹாபாரதக் கதையைக் காணலாம். விகடகவி, தேருவருதே போன்ற சொற்களில் வரும் எழுத்துக்களைத் தலைகீழாகத் திருப்பிப் போட்டாலும் அதே சொற்கள் வருவது ஒரு சொல் அலங்காரம். இதை ஆங்கிலத்தில் Palindrome என்கிறோம்.

ஒரு ஸ்லோகம் அல்ல, பல ஸ்லோகங்கள் அடங்கிய ஒரு காவியமே இப்படி அமைக்கப்பட்டுள்ளது என்றால்..! வியக்க வைக்கும் இந்தக் காவியத்திலிருந்து உதாரணத்திற்கு இரு பாடல்களை இங்கு காணலாம்.

கௌசிகே த்ரிதபஸி ஷ்ரவ்ரதி யோத்ததாத் த்விதநயஸ்வமாதுரம் I
ரந்துமாஸ்வயன தத்தித்தாதயோ தீவ்ர ரக்ஷஸி பதத்ரிகேஷிகௌ II
-ஆறாவது ஸ்லோகம்

இதன் பொருள் : எல்லா உயிரினங்களின் ஆசைகளை நிறைவேற்ற உறுதி பூண்ட தசரத மன்னர், (மனோ வாக்கு காயம் ஆகிய )மூன்று விதத்திலும் தவம் செய்த ரிஷி விஸ்வாமித்திரருக்குத் தன் செல்வங்களான ராமர், லக்ஷ்மணரைத் தந்தார்.

இதே ஸ்லோகத்தை திருப்பிப் போட்டுப் படித்தால் பொருள் மாறி விடும் இப்படி:- புண்ணியச் செயல்களைச் செய்த ஓ, பரீட்சித்து மன்னனே, ராக்ஷஸ குணத்தில் வேறு யாரையும் ஒப்பிடமுடியாத பூதனையையும் பறவையின் உருவில் இருந்த பகனையும் குதிரையின் உருவில் இருந்த கேசினையும் விளையாட்டு லீலையாக எல்லையற்ற ஞானம் உடைய ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ணர் அவர்கள் உடலிலிருந்து (உயிரை நீக்கி) முக்தி அளித்தார்.

இதே காவியத்திலிருந்து இன்னொரு பாடலைப் பார்ப்போம்.
க்ஷதாய மா யத்ர ரகோரிதாயுர் அங்கானுகானன்யதயோயனானி I
நிநாய யோ வன்யனகானுகாரம் யுதாரிகோரத்ரயமாயதாக்ஷ: II
– 34வது ஸ்லோகம்

இதன் பொருள் : சுக்ரீவனும் இதர குரங்குகளும் யுத்தகளத்தில் நுழைந்தவுடன் அழியப் போகும் வாழ்வை உடையவனான ராவணனால் ராமருக்கு எந்தக் காயத்தையும் விளைவிக்க முடியவில்லை.

இதையே பின்னாலிலிருந்து படித்தால் வரும் பொருள் இது: நீண்ட கண்களையுடைய ஸ்ரீ கிருஷ்ணர் மலை போன்ற உருவத்தை ஒத்த (அகாசுரன், கேசின், பூதனா ஆகிய) மூன்று பயங்கரமான அசுரர்களை வதம் செய்தான்.

இது போன்ற விலோம காவியத்தின் ஆதிகர்த்தா சூர்யகவியே என ஆய்வாளர்கள் கருதுகின்றனர். அவர் பார்த்தபுரத்தில் (அஹ்மத் நகர்) 1580ஆம் ஆண்டு வாக்கில் வாழ்ந்த அற்புதமான கவிஞர். இதற்கு அவரே ஒரு உரையையும் எழுதி இருக்கிறார். அதில் இப்படிப்பட்ட ஒரு காவியம் செய்வது எவ்வளவு கஷ்டமானது என்பதையும் விளக்கியுள்ளார்.

சிதம்பர கவியின் அற்புத காவியங்கள்

அடுத்து 1600ஆம் ஆண்டில் தஞ்சாவூரில் வாழ்ந்த சிதம்பர கவி என்பவர் சப்தார்த்த சிந்தாமணி என்ற நூலை இயற்றியுள்ளார். இதிலும் முதலிலிருந்து படித்தால் ராமாயணமும் பின்னாலிலிருந்து படித்தால் மஹாபாரதக் கதையும் மிளிரும். தஞ்சை சரஸ்வதி மஹாலில் சுவடி வடிவில் உள்ள இந்த அற்புத நூல் இன்னும் அச்சிடப்படவில்லை எனத் தெரிகிறது. ஆனால் இதன் பெருமை உலகெங்கும் பரவி விட்டிருக்கிறது.இவர் இன்னும் ஒரு படி மேலே போய் கதா த்ரயம் என்ற காவியத்தையும் இயற்றி இருக்கிறார். இதில் ஸ்லோகத்தைப் பிரித்துப் படித்துப் பார்த்தால் ராமாயணம், மஹாபாரதம் ஆகியவற்றோடு பாகவதக் கதையையும் படிக்கலாம், ஒரே பாடலில் மூன்று பிரம்மாண்டமான நூல்கள்! அதிசயம், ஆனால் உண்மை! உலகில் இது போல எந்த ஒரு மொழியிலும் நினைத்துக் கூடப் பார்க்க முடியாத சாதனையாக இது கருதப்படுகிறது!

கவிஞர் வேங்கடாத்வரி

சிதம்பர கவியை அடுத்து அதிசயமான மூன்றாவது கவிஞராகத் திகழ்பவர் வேங்கடாத்வரி என்பவர். 1650ஆம் ஆண்டு வாக்கில் காஞ்சிபுரத்தில் வாழ்ந்த மாபெரும் கவிஞர் இவர். இவரது ராகவ யாதவீயம் என்பது 30 ஸ்லோகங்களைக் கொண்ட ஒரு அரிய நூல். ஸ்லோகத்தை நேரடியாகப் படித்தால் ராமாயணக் கதையையும் தலைகீழாகப் படித்தால் மஹாபாரத கதையையும் இதில் படிக்க முடிகிறது.இதில் இரு ஸ்லோகங்களைப் பார்க்கலாம்.

ராமநாமா சதா கேதபாவே தயாவான் அதாபீனதேஜா: ரிபௌ ஆனதே I
காதிமோதாஸஹாதா ஸ்வபாஸா ரஸாமே சுக: ரேணுகாகாத்ரஜே பூருமே II
-ஸ்லோகம் 7

அனுலோமமாக அதாவது முதலிலிருந்து கடைசி வரை வரிசைக்கிரம்மாகப் பார்த்தால் இதன் பொருள் : துயரப்படுவோரிடம் எப்போதும் சதா கருணையுடன் திகழும் ராமபிரான், சூரியனைப் போலப் பிரகாசிப்பவரும் சுலபமாக அணுகக்கூடியவரும் முனிவர்களைத் துன்புறுத்திய ராக்ஷஸர்களை அழித்தவருமான அவர் ரேணுகாவின் புத்திரரும் பூமி அனைத்தையும் தனது செல்வமாகக் கொண்டு சுற்றித் திரிந்தவருமான பரசுராமரைப் பார்த்த போது குளிர்ந்த ஒளியுடன் அடக்கமுடன் திகழ்ந்தார்.

இதையே திருப்பிப் போட்டால் வரும் ஸ்லோகம்:

மேருபூஜேத்ரகா காணுரே கோஸுமே சா அரஸா பாஸ்வதா ஹா சதா மோதிகா I
தேன வா பாரிஜாதேன பீதா நவா யாதவே அபாத் அஸ்வேதா சமானாமரா II

பிரதிலோமமாக அதாவது கடைசியிலிருந்து முதல் வரை (மேலே உள்ள ஸ்லோகப்படி பார்த்தால்) இதன் பொருள் : மேருவையும் வெல்லும் ரைவர்த்தக மலையில் இருந்தபோது பாரிஜாத மலரை அடைந்த ருக்மிணி பூமியில் உள்ள குறைந்த வாசனையே உள்ள எந்த புஷ்பங்களின் மீதும் ஆசையின்றிப் போனதோடு ஒரு புதிய மேனியை அடைந்தவள் போலத் திகழ்ந்தாள்.

ஆக அனுலோமமாகவும் பிரதிலோமமாகவும் உள்ள இந்த விலோம காவியத்தின் அனைத்துப் பாடல்களையும் வார்த்தை வார்த்தையாக எடுத்து அர்த்தத்தைக் கூறப் போனால் கவிதையின் அழகும் ஆழமும் நன்கு புரிவதோடு பிரமிப்பும் வியப்பும் வரும்.

இன்னும் ஒரு பாடல்:
தாம் ஸ: கோரமதோஷ்ரீத: விக்ராம் அஸதர: அதத I
வைரம் ஆஸ பலாஹாரா வினாஸா ரவிவம்சகே II
– ஸ்லோகம்18

அனுலோமமாக இதன் பொருள்: ராமனின் வலதுகரமாகத் திகழ்ந்த பயமே அறியாத லக்ஷ்மணனால் மூக்கு அறுபட்டவுடன் சூர்ப்பணகை ராமன் மேல் பழி வாங்கத் துடித்தாள்.
இந்த ஸ்லோகத்தை பிரதிலோமமாக கடைசியிலிருந்து தலைகீழாக எழுதிப் பார்த்தால் வருவது

இந்த ஸ்லோகம்:-

கேசவம் விரஸானாவி: ஆஹ ஆலாபஸமாரவை: I
ததரோதஸம் அக்ராவித: அஷ்ரித: அமரக: அஸதாம் II

இதன் பொருள்:-மலைகளின் கொட்டமழிப்பவனும், தேவர்களின் தலைவனும், அசுரர்களை அழிப்பவனுமான இந்திரன் தனது சந்தோஷம், பலம், ஒளி ஆகியவற்றை இழந்தான். வானையும் பூமியையும் படைத்த கிருஷ்ணனிடம் சமாதானப்படுத்தும் சொற்களைப் பேசினான்.
காவியம் படிப்போம்; பரப்புவோம்!

(சம்ஸ்கிருத) இலக்கணத்திற்குட்பட்டு பொருள் பொதிந்த சொற்களை இப்படி அமைப்பதென்பது இறை அருளினால் மட்டுமே வரும் என சூரிய கவியே மனம் நெகிழ்ந்து சொல்லியுள்ளார்.
இப்படிப்பட்ட தெய்வீகக் கவிஞர்கள் இந்த நாட்டில் தோன்றி இதிஹாஸ மேன்மையையும் சம்ஸ்கிருத அருமையையும் நிலை நாட்டி இருப்பது சனாதன தர்மத்தின் ஏராளமான அதிசயங்களுள் இன்னும் ஒரு அதிசயமே!

ராமகிருஷ்ண விலோம காவ்யத்தை சம்ஸ்கிருதத்தில் படிக்க விரும்புபவர்கள் கீழ்க்கண்ட இணையதளத்தில்

http://sanskritdocuments.org/all_pdf/raamakrshhna.pdf என்ற தொடுப்பிலிருந்து இலவசமாக டவுன்லோட் செய்து கொள்ளலாம்.

ராகவ யாதவீயம் காவியத்திற்கு ஆங்கிலத்தில் விரிவான அழகான உரை ஒன்றை எழுதி இருப்பவர் டாக்டர் சரோஜா ராமானுஜம்.இந்த சம்ஸ்கிருத ஸ்லோகத்திற்கான ஆங்கில விரிவுரை நூலையும் இணையதளத்தில் காணலாம்.

அருமையான காவியங்களை உலகிற்குத் தரும் இணைய தளங்களுக்கும் உரை எழுதிய சம்ஸ்கிருத விற்பன்னர்களுக்கும் நமது நன்றிகளை உரித்தாக்கி இக் காவியங்களின் பெருமையை உலகில் பரப்புவோம்!.ராம கிருஷ்ணரின் அருளுக்குப் பாத்திரராவோம்!!

Courtesy

ச.நாகராஜன் - Tamiland vedas

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

word to word meaning of the following verse by our pundits please.

A share

: The beauty of Samskrutam

தம் பூ ஸுதாமுக்திமுதாரஹாஸம் |
வந்தே யதோ பவ்யபவம் தயாஸ்ரீ: ||

ஸ்ரீ:யாதவம் பவ்யபதோய தேவம் |
ஸம்ஹாரதா முக்தி முதாஸு பூ தம் ||

The above 1st shloka is Sri Rama stuti and 2 nd shloka is Sri Krishna stuti, but the wonderful thing is if you reverse the 1 St shloka, it becomes the 2 nd shloka.

This is amazing.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Would be nicer to have the words in sanskRt script...

Pratyaksham Bala

rshankar wrote: 28 Mar 2017, 21:51 Would be nicer to have the words in sanskRt script...
Sanskrit :-

तां भूसुता मुक्ति मुदारहासं
वंदेयतो लव्य भवं दयाश्री

श्री यादवं भव्यलतोय देवम्
संहारदा मुक्ति मुता सुभूताम्

Corrected version of Tamil transliteration :-

தாம் பூஸுதா முக்தி முதாரஹாஸம்
வந்தேயதோ லப்ய பவம் தயாஸ்ரீ

ஸ்ரீ யாதவம் பவ்யலதோய தேவம்
ஸம்ஹாரதா முக்தி முதா ஸுபூதாம்

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Thank you!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A share

The is a kriti on Maha vishnu composed by Jagadguru Bharathi Theertha swamiji. Just by hearing this itself your mind gets relaxed. Most powerful as Maha Vishnu will ward off all difficulties.

गरुडगमन तव चरणकमलमिह
मनसि लसतु मम नित्यम्
मनसि लसतु मम नित्यम् ॥
मम तापमपाकुरु देव
मम पापमपाकुरु देव ॥
1. जलजनयन विधिनमुचिहरणमुख
विबुधविनुत-पदपद्म -2
मम तापमपाकुरु देव
मम पापमपाकुरु देव ॥
2. भुजगशयन भव मदनजनक मम
जननमरण-भयहारी -2
मम तापमपाकुरु देव