purushArtha

vgovindan

purushArtha

Post by vgovindan »

It is generally believed that purushArtha is four-some - dharma-artha-kAma-mOksha. However, gItAcArya states 'dharmAviruddhO bhUtEshu kAmOsmi' (..in beings, I am the desire which is in tune with (unopposed to) dharma).

kAma (desires) should be permissible within the limits set by dharma. kAma without set-limits, defeats very purpose of purushArtha. artha has no separate aim excepting for the purpose of satiating desires.

Therefore, I am of the opinion that purushArtha should be read as 'dharmArtha kAma and mOksha' (desire for the purpose of dharma and liberation).

Please comment.

Rsachi

Re: purushArtha

Post by Rsachi »

Sir, Gita is the ultimate for me.

You have given a fine interpretation.
There are many descriptions of puruShArthas. I think at a basic level they describe the motivations for all human activity.

In terms of prioritisation, the wise always place dharma first. I think it means that when one follows dharma, artha ( generally meaning material well being), kAma (emotional well being) and finally liberation are all well attainable in a right manner at the individual level and also in respect of what's good for society. Whereas anyone at any level will have motivations of artha and kAma, by sandwiching between dharma and moksha, we are giving them the right place.

It's a big topic, perhaps I can't scribble a few words and hope to convey all my thoughts.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

While reciting Samkalpam we recite as" dharmArtha kAma mOksha chatur vidha phala purushArtha siDhyartam ".....this is what is mentioned by Sri VGovindan also.
Last edited by vs_manjunath on 03 Dec 2013, 09:19, edited 1 time in total.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

If it is "dhramArthakAma moksha" theen it contradicts the number catur vidha.
It must be
dharma ca artha ca kAma ca mOksha ca
That relates to the four stages in life brahmacarya, gruhasta, vAnaprasta and sanyAsa
If so VG's interpretation is untenable!

vgovindan

Post by vgovindan »

cml sir,
I am fully aware that my interpretation is untenable. Whether this 'catur-vidha' is given in authorized religious texts or not is one issue. However, in a world which seems to be totally bent on karma kANDa only, any other interpretation will be looked down.

During a shashTyabdha pUrti, I asked one pundit what this 'mRtyunjaya hOmam' is about and whether there is anyone who has conquered death. He responded that it is 'apa-mRtyunjaya hOmam'. Well that is a matter of speculation whether anyone has indeed conquered apa-mRtyu. But we will continue to perform such kAmyArtha karmas without having a hint whether these indeed do matter.

There is something called 'stock-taking'. Somewhere, sometime, how I wish, people pause and ponder about all these irrationalities and try to search for the roots.

dharma saMsthApanArthAya sambhavAmi yugE yugE - when is the next yuga to take stock - GOK.

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

mArkandEya rishi is attributed to have conquered death by his stead fast devotion to Lord Shiva!

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

In fact we all are 'mrityum jItAvAn'.
That is the essence of Gita chapter 2, further clearly expounded in 'sanatsujAtIya'.

dehé nityam avadhyo ’yam
dehe sarvasya bhärata (Gita 2.30)

It is 'avidyA' (ignorance) that one has to burn up (hOmam).

vs_manjunath

Post by vs_manjunath »

It's true that priests exploit house holder by performing various homams.Although, these rituals bring positive energy to the place in which the ritual is performed, whether the phalam for which it's intended fruitify is a big question. May be the kings like Dasharatha performed Putra Kameshti yagam to get his sons....the epic story indicates the faith they had in Mantra Shakthi.