MK Ramanasubramanian

Prominent critics and rasikas
cmlover

#26 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by cmlover » 09 May 2014, 23:47

Thanks Mahesh for letting us participate in a momentous occasion in MKR's life.
The pictures add colour to his musical journey as it brings us fond recollections.
MKR has briefly described his wedding in his memoirs at this Forum.
Now we get a visual treat. Thanks again and wish him many more years of wedded bliss!
0 x

rajeshnat

#27 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by rajeshnat » 10 May 2014, 10:33

rasaali wrote:Dear MKR Mama, Nirmala Mami,

Hearty congratulations on the wonderful occasion. Wishing you a lot of good health, music, happiness and 50+ more years together! Seeking your blessings too.

Dear Maheshram,

What a lovely tribute with wonderful! I am a nephew and disciple of Sri Kovai Dakshinamurthy. He is my father's first cousin. His father TK Balaganesa Iyer was my Chinna-thata.

I met your parents in 2010 at NY Shrutilayaa and they had mentioned about this wedding concert back then. I recall MKR Mama mentioning that this was perhaps the first time Sri BDM had played for Sri SSI and it happened due to the request of your family to have Sri SSI encourage the (then) young upcoming family friend of theirs. How fortunate I am to see the photo today! I will forward this post to my Guru's family.

Sincerely,
KVS Vinay

PS: You are not the first one to add Pillai to BDM's name. Helps that it matches the name of the kanjira legend! On a lighter once I was announced as disciple of Kovai Dakshinamurthy Pillai, an the main artiste quipped "Avar Dakshinamurthy, ivan thaan avar-oda pillai". :)
Vinay,
Was TK Jayarama Iyer violinist elder brother of TK Balaganesa iyer (I am assuming they are paternal cousin) . I never knew your chinna tatha at all , perhaps he got eclipsed by the flute mali magic which is what i heard in general when mali was playing .

Who was the main artist who wonderfully quipped "Avar Dakshinamurthy, ivan thaan avar-oda pillai". Was that TRS or DKJ . I guess apart from kanjira legend we also have a yazhpanam dakshinamoorthy pillai they say he is the PMI of thavil.

I hope MKR is ok with the detour , he would not mind as he is a master of detour. :-*
0 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#28 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 10 May 2014, 22:26

Rajeshnat: Yr comments about detour--I do not mind at all--afterall given the exposure I have had over 60 years with Music celebrities,it is inevitable that a main story gets side-tracked by sub plots(like the KALKI style)--as I have written before Mudikindan Venkatrama Iyer was a past master--TKM likewise is a great raconteur prone to digression and when he narrates an incident with his characteristic impish humor he could getaway with outrageous remarks but none of the seniors would mind!!

Back to my wedding pics there was a pic--unique in the sense showing Semmangudi Mami listening to her husband's concert--even the SSI family does not have a pic-- the B and W pics--although carefully preserved by my wife have "aged"--will try to resurrect some of them and post it!! In the concert itself,SSI spends lots of time gently admonishing the audience to keep silent--In Coimbatore or for that matter any town in Tamil Nadu--wedding concerts tend to be noisy affairs-- his lament in Tamil "Engallukkellam romba Vayasu aachu--chitta neram amaidiyai irundu kettel anal engalai gaurava padittina madiri irukkum"(we are all old artistes--nt Kobai Dakshinamurthy!!--if you can keep quiet for a few moments and listen to the concert I will regard it as honoring me!!)--needless to say the "appeal" fell on deaf ears!!!
I would like to hear young forumites who may have developed close relationships with the likes of Ravi Kiran,TMK,Sanjay,Sudha,BJ,Sowmya et al to describe their experiences --hosting them,driving them around especially overseas. I am sure the younger musicians have no less fascinating tales to narrate. It might give us all perspective.
I myself have found it difficult(except with Ravi Kiran) to get "close enough" to these stars to understand what motivates them and their observations about life,events,people etc which the Seniors I had been exposed to freely shared experiences----(although in many of these occasions I was more a "fly-in-the-wall" rather than a "cackling geese"
I concede however with the multiplicity of media hungry for sensational content,that the present day musicians may be reticent lest an innocent remark spark needless controversies. In fairness if the "Seniors" whose stories I write about--had they been alive I would have been Persona Non Grata by now!!
Notwithstanding the above I still would like to know what the rasikas think of these artistes(not their music) just to add perspective to our narratives.
0 x

uday_shankar

#29 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by uday_shankar » 19 May 2014, 01:46

MKR sir
A belated congratulations (I was away on vacation after Cleveland and a bit sporadic on following rasikas) and best wishes ! It was a pleasure meeting Smt. Nirmala in Cleveland. One day soon I will follow up on my threat to visit you in Flushing. When hanging out with you, unfortunately not enough in Cleveland due to my very brief appearances during breaks from work in nearby Pittsburgh, the passage of time is never noticeable. There's always the excellent singing, interspersed with priceless anecdotes and recollections. Perhaps a new resolution for you could be to give a Katcheri at Clevaland ? What say ?
0 x

jayaraman

#30 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by jayaraman » 03 Jan 2017, 05:34

dear shri.MKR, to day I happened to see the posting by your son Shri.mahesh.

our humble greetings ( late of course) to you.

regards

jayaraman
0 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#31 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 26 Jan 2017, 09:40

Thanks.
MKR
0 x

maheshram

#32 My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by maheshram » 09 Sep 2017, 06:17

Hi All, I wanted to share my father (MKR)'s performance on Smule, one initiated by my cousin who was visiting NYC from India. This is not CM so please excuse the post but I thought many of you would enjoy it anyway (note to moderator: if not appropriate to post here, please do feel free to move):

https://www.smule.com/recording/t-m-sou ... 595435512

Enjoy! (and give him your feedback) - btw he doesn't know I'm posting this 8-)
0 x

Purist

#33 Re: My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by Purist » 09 Sep 2017, 12:55

Too good. Hats off to his zeal. Reminded me of C S Jayaraman .
0 x

arasi

#34 Re: My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by arasi » 09 Sep 2017, 18:58

Mahesh,
Thank you!
chittiram arugAmaiyilE enRum pOl enbadAlE
ithiRanuLLa thandai eNbadilum isai ace thAnO?
sindai niRaikkudu--enRum pOlavar isaiyin inimai!
vindayEdidil? vAzhga isaiyODiruvarumE pallANDu :)

When the 'painting' is by his side--
Even in his eighties, he is an ace!
His singing fills the heart as ever
May they live long in musical mirth :)
0 x

arasi

#35 Re: My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by arasi » 09 Sep 2017, 19:07

சித்திரம் அருகாமையிலே என்றும் போல் என்பதாலே--
இத்திறனுள்ள தந்தை எண்பதிலும் இசை ace தானோ?
சிந்தை நிறைக்குது என்றும் போலவர் இசை இனிமை!
விந்தையேதிதில்? வாழ்க இருவருமே பல்லாண்டு!
0 x

thanjavooran

#36 Re: MK Ramanasubramanian

Post by thanjavooran » 10 Sep 2017, 10:08

Shri Mahesh,
Thanks for sharing.
Perfect rendition. Great.
Arasi,
So your beautiful words too. No other honor wil aptly fit in
With wishes,
Thanjavooran
10 09 2017
0 x

rajeshnat

#37 Re: MK Ramanasubramanian

Post by rajeshnat » 10 Sep 2017, 10:27

Maheshram
Nice to hear your dad , i think this song is a way too low hanging fruit for your appa's capability. In smule is there any chance of say a violin and mrudangam accompaniments of his perennial favourite GNB . That should be your next smule post . I am assuming your appa may have touched 80 , pranams if he has . I talked with him last year for a long time , he has way too sharp musical intellect and it just shows with his cittiram pesudadhi - sabashmeena oops sabashmkr sir.
0 x

Nick H

#38 Re: My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by Nick H » 10 Sep 2017, 15:09

maheshram wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 06:17
Hi All, I wanted to share my father (MKR)'s performance on Smule, one initiated by my cousin who was visiting NYC from India. ... ... ...
Wonderful. I've heard him say that he has never had any formal musical training whatsoever. The fluid ease (not to mention beauty) of the voice here suggests that he might be a good example for the thread in which not loosing the voice is discussed!
0 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#39 Re: MK Ramanasubramanian

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 10 Sep 2017, 17:58

Dear all: Thanks for your comments.ARASI especially.It is GOD's grace that I am able to retain my voice at this age. Semmangudi Mama in my younger days used to introduce me as Jalatarangam Ramanayya Chetty--who I believe had a hoarse,husky voice .My voice was horrendous--no range,no weight etc.I used to be a joke amongst my elders. I cannot attribute this transformation to anything but GOD's Grace.I have made no special attempts to take care of the voice. In fact by my incessant,undisciplined singing(different sruthis,attempting imitations of different persons with different voices and unhealthy false modulations!!),I may have ruined my vocal chords!!,

The truth is I enjoy singing and have used it to mainly enhance my appreciation of what the professionals do.This has helped me in tolerance of a wide range of styles in singing.

I sincerely acknowledge the comments. During my niece's visit(she is an excellent singer Srividhya) she "coaxed" me into this and recorded two other songs--Tere Mere Sapne and Chaudvin Ka Chand---.In hearing them back,I had the same feeling that the famous erstwhile Violin Maestro Malaikottai(Tricky) Govindaswamy Pillai had when the ONLY recording he ever made(Disc) was played back to him. The anecdote.

It seems this was in the early thirties when all the Carnatic Musicians--Chembai,Semmangudi et al were into HMV recordings .(This story was told to my father by Semmangudi Mama). Sri.Pillai was being coaxed and cajoled by his admirers to record .Mr.Pillai steadfastly refused. But finally he relented and gave a recording. I do not remember the song. After the recording was completed the Gramophone Company(I think HMV) approached him with the Master Disc(before they could duplicate it) and presented to him. Mr. Pillai asked that the record be played back for him which the HMV executive did.Mr Pillai listened to it very keenly. Then he asks for the Disc to get a physical "feel" for the disc material allegedly. Then he breaks into(Vinyl records as we all know can be easily broken) 2 pieces. The HMV executive is shocked and asks WHY? Mr.Pillai's reply briefly paraphrased(as it is difficult to translate as SSI narrated it).
'THIS RECORDING HAS MINOR FLAWS AND YEARS LATER PEOPLE WOULD REMEMBER THE FLAWS AND WHATEVER REPUTATION I MAY HAVE GATHERED FOR POSTERITY FOR MY PLAYING BASED ON CONTEMPORARY OPINIONS AND ACCLAIM WOULD BE SET TO DOUBT .

NOW ONE CAN ARGUE THAT MR.PILLAI DID DISSERVICE TO HORDES OF LISTENERS THAT CAME AFTER HIS DEMISE--WHO NOW MAY NEVER KNOW WHAT A GREAT VIOLINIST HE WAS !! BUT MR.PILLAI WAS ALWAYS A VERY SINCERE HUMBLE TRUE NADOPASAKA AND DID NOT SUCCUMB TO THE PEER PRESSURES AND YEARNING FOR ROYALTIES !!

Now for the formats who have followed the careers of erstwhile artists,Mr.Pillai stands head and shoulders above his contemporaries with regards to THOZHIL DHARMAM"(Professsional Integrity) and true devotion to the Trinity(Soolamangalam Vaidyanatha Bhagavathar's--SVB- book on the Post-Thyagaraja developments on celebrating the Thiruvaiyaru Aradhana) is a must read about how Mr.Pillai rose above the petty skirmishes amongst the various parties involved in the erection of the memorial etc. Incidentally, this book was written by SVB's son who is the Father-in-Law of our Entrepreneurial Forumite Udhay Shankar!!

By this anecdote I am not trying to elevate myself to Mr. Govindaswamy Pillai!!

Take it as "MEA CULPA"!!!
0 x

rshankar

#40 Re: MK Ramanasubramanian

Post by rshankar » 10 Sep 2017, 20:56

Mama - I enjoyed your singing, and the expressions too (ungaL cittiramum pEsiyadE)! Although, I did not get the flavor of CS Jayaraman at all... :)
The song brought back memories of watching the movie Sabaash Meena in Pondicherry years ago in a 'Tent Theater' across the road from our campus and walking back at 2 AM....
Thank you for sharing!!

Can you share the Hindi songs as well?
0 x

narayan

#41 Re: My Dad (sri MKR aka Ramesh) in musical action...

Post by narayan » 14 Sep 2017, 21:13

maheshram wrote:
09 Sep 2017, 06:17
Hi All, I wanted to share my father (MKR)'s performance on Smule, one initiated by my cousin who was visiting NYC from India. This is not CM so please excuse the post but I thought many of you would enjoy it anyway (note to moderator: if not appropriate to post here, please do feel free to move):

https://www.smule.com/recording/t-m-sou ... 595435512

Enjoy! (and give him your feedback) - btw he doesn't know I'm posting this 8-)
Besh! Besh!
I have heard him many many years ago (30?) in New York and his spirit and musicality is as strong as it was then. Any one flourish in this rendering is enough to demonstrate this.
The thread says Ramanasubramanian instead of Ramasubramanian, but what's in a name?
0 x