Biography of Sri K.S.Mahadevan

Prominent critics and rasikas
srkris
Site Admin

Biography of Sri K.S.Mahadevan

Post by srkris »

Sri VKV wants to share his thoughts via the attached document on Sri K.S.Mahadevan's (father of Sri M.K.Ramasubramanian) biography

I've uploaded it at http://wikisend.com/download/426160/KSM.doc

cacm

Re: Biography of Sri K.S.Mahadevan

Post by cacm »

Dear Rasikas,
I have with skris's help given a LINK above to my review of the BOOK "Writings&Reminiscences" a biography of Sri.K.S.Mahadevan released at KGS, CHENNAI ON HIS BIRTH CENTENARY CELEBREATIONS. I FEEL THIS IS VERY IMPORTANT BOOK ON TWENTIETH CENTURY CARNATIC MUSIC. HENCE I REQUEST EVERY RASIKA to peruse the review & express their thoughts in this section.
I am HOPING to have exhaustive analyses of key persons as well as key concerts of THE YESTER YEAR GIANTS as well TODAY'S BUDDING ONES. I can email my review if you send your email to: vkv@juno.com also. THANKS, VKV

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thank you Vkv sir for the review of the book. Not read the book yet , MKR sir and I talked briefly about the same when he was here . For many like me it is always a deep feeling of O god I wish I was born in the era where at least MMI-SSI -GNB were performing right in front of me (throw in a bit of karaikurichi, TNR and Flute Mali, etal too..) .

While shri KSM indeed documented more from starting sabhas in bombay which was a precursor to few in North America for which you have played a great role , I also have one wish - You and perhaps MKR sir can also collaborate and chronicle a book . There are many things that you both have seen in CM particularly in the context of transition from local to national to international acceptance of CM.

munirao2001

Post by munirao2001 »

I am glad to know that the biography of KSM has been released and eagerly waiting to read it.
I recall two instances related to KSM and SSRAO. KSM told me at the Gayana Samaja,year 1979/80 that he came to Bengaluru only to attend the vidwath sessions being presided by SSRAO as conference president and also Youth association for Music organized panel discussions of SSRA0-VIDYA SHANKAR-R.VEDAVALLI in Chennai, only to hear SSRAO, inspite of his failing health. KSM held SSRAO's scholarship in high esteem.
I am keen to know whether SSRAO finds a mention in this book.

munirao2001

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Sir, Thanks for u r comments. I went thru' the exhaustive listing (have read the book also) and find no mention of SANDHAVANDANAM Srinivasa Rao. If I am mistaken SOMEONE PLEASE CORRECT ME. However I told you before in Chennai Rasikas meeting a few years about listening to him- have the EXCELLENT cd collection of his I bought from you- and also HOW HIGHLY KVN thought of him. Actually I had discussions with him with KVN'S participation about a USA Concert tour or Teaching Assignment which unfortunately did not happen. As you know ANYONE who heard him knew how good he was. VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Look forward to reading this book.
Thanks for your wonderful summary, Sri VKV.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Munirao2001-- Although I never had the privilege of meeting or knowing your Father, I can recall conversations with my father about Sri. Srenivasa Rao when he was head of the Carnatic Music College in Chennai. I vividly remember my Father's lament that such dedicated souls --with no axe to grind--are not being given their due recognition and how Chennai institutions are too elitist etc etc. I also remember that during his tenure in his own quiet way he had "quietened" the politics of the Institution which had had Musiri at its helm for quite sometime and focussed on teaching.
In the family(KSM) archives that I personally sifted thru I did not see any articles about the KSM-Sreenivasa Rao connection--I do recall some correspondence between the two--more of a social exchange than serious discussion about music trends etc. I must confess we in the family(I take 99% blame for that!!) have not been diligent in the maintenance of the archives.

As my father was very close to Musiri and privy to the goings-on with the Institution, I am sure he(KSM) must have shared some insights about Mr.Rao's work.

Lastly the idea to bring out a book about KSM's reminiscences developed late last year.With the archives tucked away in my brother's garage(subject to termites etc),trying to sort out the archives--with the principals--myself(based in NY) and my nephew Bala Shankar(based in Singapore) the task of coordinating the contents,editing etc in a short period of time became too onerous. It is quite possible we may have missed some key articles/reviews(which if my Father had been alive would have done a better job!!).

Excuses!! Excuses!!--That has been the bane of my life!!!!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Banes alone, what a boon, you and your nephew brought out this book with neither of you being 'kshEtrE' in Chennai!

For some reason, I can't open this file :(

Srkris or mods, please guide!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Arasi
After you hit the link, click the green button that says download file. I am assuming you are opening in a windows machine (not an ipad )

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thanks, Rajesh, but it doesn't work. Will get some help to remedy this.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
That was quick! Thanks for sending the file to me.

VKV,
You have whetted our appetites, thanks! Will get the book in Chennai. Hoping to make it to the season...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: Thanks for your comments--the book is available @ the Carnatic Music Bookstore in Royapettah Chennai, For forumites living in Canada or the US please write to me: mkram38@gmail.com. I will send it by post($12--postage included).

Unfortunately after the book release-- all of us in the family living abroad fled the "Coop" so fast that we did not make good arrangements for marketing the book.--except to ship books to carnatic Music Store in Chennai.
VKV,thanks for a nice comprehensive review. Rajesh had a good suggestion about the two of us--who virtually lived thro the Golden era(subjective ofcourse!!) to collaborate and write our reminiscences--I particularly feel that your "wearing-two-hats"--that of a music rasika and a "pioneer" in organising--combining the best of Institutional practices and eschewing the worst(snobbery and elitism) would be very ilLuminating to our rasikas. I know you want to shy away from self-flagellation exercises about Institution-building and avoid sounding boastful---especially now when several musical instittutions are well-entrenched in North America and other countries outside India(the kind of feeling possibly amongst some young rasikas-"-So what,what is the big deal about Institutions now that the relative economic affluence have made past stories of penury and hardships irrelevant--. Music Historians of the future could definitely draw upon the history of the past--in our culture there is a tremendous amount of reticence about writing about personal experiences that may be misinterpreted as bragging.

However so long as we the self-anointed narrators RECOGNIZE that we were extraordinarily lucky to have been born in this particular era and still more lucky to have been exposed to Music and Musicians from our youth and even luckiest to have been a "Fly-in-the-Wall" in all the "behind-the-scenes-drama" that we were privileged to witness our "chronicling' would be of interest to followers of CM---always REMINDING OURSELVES that no matter how HIGH WE the chroniclers desire to "soar", we would be "nothing-but- a-passing-footnote" in the annals of Carnatic Music.

VKV--Let's give it some thought when you visit NY!!

ARASI/CMLover and other Tamil Lit lovers--Have you heard of or read any of India Devi's (pen name Vindhiya) short stories that appeared in the Kalamaigal,Kalki,Sudeshamitran and Ananda Vikatan in the Fifties and the Sixties!!

Now what has the above "sidebar" got to do with this posting!!! If you can identify the above mentioned writer or know of the writer,I will let you know the connection!!! I just came across in my archives(I should thank my wife for preserving--she must have been an archaelogist in her previous birth!!) an article about the writer mentioned above in the Hindu May 4,2008.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR,
I am writing a FOUR PART-EACH VOLUME IS AN INDEPENDENT ONE- BOOK at my son's request. He feels I have met ENOUGH & IMPORTANT interesting persons-Nobel laurates, s.k.'s and others & even worked with them etc (VOLUME 2). VOLUME 4 IS STRICTLY about ARTISTS FROM S.INDIA except a few from North and a few members like Rsachi & Mahavishnu have encouraged me . I will send you the INTRO & WE can definitely COLLABORATE ON THIS BOOK. Volume 2 also has some musicians in it. Lets discuss it when we meet in NY. Incidentally Selvi is going to surprise Nirmala & you with a book of India Devi translated by Rangan in English. Regs, VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear VKV: Great!!! I would love to collaborate--outside of the Music World we may have other common celebrity friends/acquaintances(such as R.K.Narayan) that will add spice to the narratives.
I am all excited.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Sri VKV,

Excellent sir.I will be looking forward to the book.I keenly follow your postings in rasikas.org.I normally reside in Bangalore.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Dr.VKV,
Your memoirs deserve wide, really wide, accessibility.
I volunteer my services sir, for proof reading etc., I can also suggest/implement electronic publishing so that people can read the book online and download it within the copyrights you wish to have.
Today one can publish electronic books with pictures, video and audio content in a searchable and online readable manner across several types of devices.
My pranams and best wishes to all for auspicious Navaratri!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes. Everything RSachi said +1.

cacm

Post by cacm »

Rsachi wrote:Dear Dr.VKV,
Your memoirs deserve wide, really wide, accessibility.
I volunteer my services sir, for proof reading etc., I can also suggest/implement electronic publishing so that people can read the book online and download it within the copyrights you wish to have.
Today one can publish electronic books with pictures, video and audio content in a searchable and online readable manner across several types of devices.
My pranams and best wishes to all for auspicious Navaratri!
Dear R, HAPPY NAVARATHRI! With passage of time the time in India I was fortunate to spend CLEARLY was the high light of my life outside professional life.
Iwill take you up & send you what I am coming up with & discuss the E PUBLISHING WITH YOU. With MKR interested I will discuss with him- I am going to NY next week & will be meeting up with MKR. WILL write you after meeting MKR. Thanks for your kind offer. VKV

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear Forumites: here are the Video tributes delivered by artists @ my father's Centenary celebrations on Aug 4,2013 @ KGS,Chenai

http://youtu.be/86JXg5iBtYQ

http://youtu.be/3HkAUueMVo8

arasi

Post by arasi »

MKR,
I didn't know your father, except from your fond recollections of him and of his dynamic presence in the music world.

In these clips, he came alive for me in all his sterling qualities as a writer, critic and a person.You can see what an indelible impression he left on the minds of artistes--how he encouraged and nurtured them. Certainly, your mother was equally endearing and kind.

They all spoke from their hearts, having experienced the generosity of your father's spirit and acumen.
Thank you! Are there any more clips?

Ramasubramanian M.K

Arasi: Thanks for your nice sentiments. Re; more clips--we have the whole function including Aswath Narayanan's and Nithyashree's performances. plus speeches by Nalli K,PSN and the late TRS Sir.(Now do not get frazzled--I will post only exercpts!!!!). I need tech help being a Hi-tech luddite.

When you go to Chennai please go to the Carnatic Music Bookstore in Royapettah where the book is available.
The people who have bought the book have uniformly raved about the layout,printing feautres of the book !! As for the contents you be the judge.!!