MK Ramanasubramanian

Prominent critics and rasikas
maheshram

#1 MK Ramanasubramanian

Post by maheshram » 04 May 2014, 10:52

Hello everyone, I am Mahesh, the son of Sri M.K. Ramasubramanian (Ramesh, MKR or KMR to most of you on rasikas.org). As the rasikas.org community has become an important part of my father's life, I thought I would take the liberty of sharing an important milestone with all of you.

Today, May 3rd, marks the 50th wedding anniversary of my parents - Ramesh and Nirmala were married on this day in 1964 in my mother's hometown of Coimbatore. We marked this special occasion here in New York today with a small archana at the Queens temple and followed up with a dinner for close friends and relatives in the area. I am sure that many of you will join me and my younger sister in wishing my parents many more decades of happy married life together. One of the most 'binding' effects in my parents' marriage has been the love of music which has been a constant nearly every day of their married life together.

When my sister and I were putting together a remembrance slide show presentation, we looked again at some of the old black and white photos from the wedding and in the process I found some gems that are relevant to the music aficionados here:

The kalyana kutcheri - Semmangudi Mama, Kovai B.Dakshinamurthy and Palghat Mani Iyer

Sorry this one is a bit blurry - In the foreground center is my father, and to his left, is my grandfather, late Sri K.S. Mahadevan
Directly behind KSM, sits Sri Sadasivam Mama (bespectacled) with Radha Mami behind him (partially obscured); Special credit and points to anyone who can identify the child smiling in front of both Sadasivam Mama and Radha Mami :)
BTW, M.S. Mami could not attend the wedding as she was recovering from a major surgery and could not travel to CBE;

T. Rukmini singing the oonjal paatu to my parents (she sang Aparadhi Nanalla, the javali in Peelu)

Radha Mami also sang Upamugana in Yadukula Kambhodhi at the oonjal, but I could not find any photos of that moment ):

One of my favorite photos - Smt MLV in the center, to her right Mrs. Vasan, and to Mrs. Vasan's right, T. Rukmini enjoying the wedding repast :-BD

Finally, a photo of the 'newlyweds' taken today here in New York:

Hope you all enjoy these wonderful pieces of nostalgia as much as I did in 're-discovering' them! If I find any other great old photos, I will post.

Cienu Anna, please share these photos and the milestone with your mother. She was (and is) so much a part of that happy day and many others after this in my parents' lives.
Last edited by maheshram on 07 May 2014, 07:49, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

venkatakailasam

#2 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by venkatakailasam » 04 May 2014, 11:13

Best wishes to Shri MKR and his spouse ...

Fifty years of togetherness
That You've shared
Brings back to you memories of
Laughter, joy and contentment
which will be yours to share throughout
The years ahead of you!
venkat k

I have gone through it last year..and I could feel the joy of it...
Last edited by venkatakailasam on 04 May 2014, 12:42, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

Rsachi

#3 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Rsachi » 04 May 2014, 11:20

Sri MKR,
MORE POWER TO YOUR PEN! More smiles to your life! More music to your soul!
0 x

mahavishnu

#4 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by mahavishnu » 04 May 2014, 11:44

Best wishes, Sri MKR.
And Mahesh, welcome to the forum!
0 x

rajeshnat

#5 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by rajeshnat » 04 May 2014, 12:34

MKR sir , Mrs Nirmala ramesh
Best wishes on your 50th wedding anniversary. I just completely read the writings and reminiscences book of Shri KS mahadevan . Indeed a great family,shri mkr's mother Mrs KS Mahadevan has also learnt violin from the yesteryear famous violin vidwan-malaikottai govindaswamy pillai is also an interesting information. We all know about shri ks mahadevan. Certainly close to 120 years of traceable carnatic music heritage without any hearsay.Simply wow

All
The photos in chrome browser generally appears truncated right click on the photo and open in new tab to see the entire photo.

Mahesh -- welcome to the forum. Your appa's 80th birthday is just few years away.
0 x

PUNARVASU

#6 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by PUNARVASU » 04 May 2014, 17:29

Shri MKR ,wishing you and your wife Mrs Nirmala, a very happy golden wedding anniversary. A big thanks to your son Shri Mahesh for sharing the precious photos from your wedding. I really love the photo where MLV Amma and others are enjoying the kalyANa sAppADu. And the oonjal photo is very nice.
0 x

rshankar

#7 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by rshankar » 04 May 2014, 17:44

Ramesh Mama - best wishes for many, many more years of bliss! Please continue to entrall us with your memories.
Mahesh - Thank you for the wonderful pictures and the write-up. Narration must run in the family! And maybe you can persuade your father to turn his memories into memoirs - something we've been asking him to to for some time now.
0 x

Nick H

#8 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Nick H » 04 May 2014, 18:09

maheshram, welcome and thank you so much for this.

Mr and Mrs MKR... congratulations and very best wishes for many more years, many more anniversaries and much more music.

Meeting up and talking with Sri MKR is a high point of Chennai December for me. His own musical 'performance' has added magic to at least two of our Rasikas.org international meetups.
0 x

arasi

#9 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by arasi » 04 May 2014, 19:01

Nirmala and Ramesh,
Many more happy, healthy years of togetherness!

Mahesh,
Thank you for sharing these special pictures with their Rasikas.org pals :) Hope more are coming.
They look so sweet together in the wedding picture, and radiant in yesterday's picture in the temple :)
0 x

VK RAMAN

#10 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by VK RAMAN » 04 May 2014, 19:14

May 50 turn into 75 with the same smile and charisma. Our Namaskarams to you.
0 x

maheshram

#11 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 04 May 2014, 19:25

Hi Everyone, thanks for the wonderful comments. I only made my parents aware of my post this morning, they were pleasantly surprised by all your comments!

But still no one has identified the smiling child in front of Sadasivam Mama...where are the detectives in our midst?
0 x

Rsachi

#12 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Rsachi » 04 May 2014, 19:46

Smt Radha's daughter?
0 x

maheshram

#13 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 04 May 2014, 19:53

<<Smt Radha's daughter?>>

No, she was born after me so that would be a chronological impossibility...keep guessing!
0 x

Rsachi

#14 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Rsachi » 04 May 2014, 20:43

Gowri Ramnarayan?
0 x

maheshram

#15 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 04 May 2014, 22:11

<<Gowri Ramnarayan?>>

Good guess, but incorrect...time for a hint: remember our custom of dressing young children sometimes in a "gender confusing" way..
0 x

Rsachi

#16 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Rsachi » 04 May 2014, 22:16

Cienu. QED
0 x

vasanthakokilam

#17 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by vasanthakokilam » 04 May 2014, 22:48

Congratulations Sri.MKR and Smt. Nirmala. Mahesh, you did a great job in putting this together. Thanks. Great pictures indeed.

When I first read your question, my immediate thought was 'It has to be Cienu'! ( that is even before I saw the photo )
0 x

maheshram

#18 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 04 May 2014, 23:26

Cienu it is!!!
0 x

cienu

#19 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by cienu » 05 May 2014, 08:12

At the outset congratulations to Ramesh Mama and Nirmala Mami on the occasion of the 50th wedding anniversary. :)
And thank you Mahesh for uploading the pictures bringing back past memories.
I showed them to Amma and she was extremely happy to see them. ! She conveys her congratulations to the young couple !
Amma also remembers learning Upamugana from Brindamma and she immediately sang the same when I mentioned that she had sung the same at the Oonjal ceremony.! Amazing memory.
Last edited by cienu on 05 May 2014, 08:51, edited 1 time in total.
0 x

maheshram

#20 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 05 May 2014, 08:48

Dear Chinu Anna, my parents are overjoyed to see your post. Your mother is and always has been a most special part of our family's lives...please also convey my namaskarams to her (she will know me as Ramji as you know). Has Aishwarya learnt Upamugana yet? If not, consider this as a special 'listener's request' ahead of her U.S. tour in the near future?!
0 x

thanjavooran

#21 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by thanjavooran » 05 May 2014, 16:07

Shri Mahesh, welcome to the forum!
Shri MKR Avl,wishing you and your wife Mrs Nirmala, a very happy golden wedding anniversary. Pray Ayyappan to shower all HIs best to you and to all the members of your family.
With pranams,
Thanjavooran
05 05 2014
0 x

Ramasubramanian M.K

#22 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K » 06 May 2014, 22:03

Folks: Myself and my wife are simply overwhelmed by your messages of affection and goodwill.As my son rightly put it our interest in music has sustained our companionship all these years. Personally since I joined the forum,I have enjoyed the contributions--selfless and informative--by all of you.
Our lives have been enriched by our association with Music and Musicians from whom we have gained so much insights into art and its pursuit.
The next day after our anniversary, we attended a Violin Duet concert by the Lalgudi Siblings and GJR announced during the course of the concert to the crowd about our wedding anniversary and mentioned the long association with our two families--needless to say we were humbled by the gesture.
I must thank my parents--the late K.S.Mahadevan and my mother( Narayani alias Chinnani- 94 years old) for their encouragement of my interest in Music. My mother even today can recite all 32 Thyagaraja krithis in Thodi although she may not remember all our names--a gift from GOD!!
One of the pics my son posted showing MLV and Mrs Vasan and T.Rukmini--all of them were close to my mother although in terms of social class and stature we were nowhere near them--took the trouble to attend the wedding despite their engagements. My mother had the charisma to attract people(MLV loved my Mom's Vathal Kuzhambu and Badam Kheer--she had the sweetest tooth of all with the possible exception of Violinist Rajamanikkam Pilai who never travelled outside of Chennai without atleast one bottle of Horlicks with Therattippal and he was a Diabetic too!!!

The Music celebrity world that I grew up in and the relationships that my parents developed over the years with the erstwhile musicians have sustained our younger generation as well. When I was growing up,I never had time for participating in Sports because as soon as I come home chores will be waiting for me to "enagage" the visiting artiste(we hosted) with shopping,fetching groceries etc--I used to curse my fate--now I do not regret a wee bit because I would never have been a good sportsman but I certainly can lay claim to be a good listener and 'observer" of the cultural scene.

Once again thanks to fellow forumites for your good wishes and greetings!!!

There are so many stories
0 x

Govindaswamy

#23 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by Govindaswamy » 07 May 2014, 07:25

Re The KalyanaKutcheri please note that the violin vidwan was Kovai B.Dakshinamurthy s/o Balaganesa Iyer, flute vidwan. He was an AIR artist and a Telugu Brahmin and not a Pillai.
Govindaswamy
0 x

maheshram

#24 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by maheshram » 07 May 2014, 07:48

Dear Mr. Govindaswamy, Thanks for the correction. It was my mistake as my father had given me the correct name but I had transposed the Pillai suffix incorrectly. I'm grateful for you for pointing this out and I have made the change to the post now...
0 x

rasaali

#25 Re: MKR Milestone and some wonderful old pictures

Post by rasaali » 09 May 2014, 20:40

Dear MKR Mama, Nirmala Mami,

Hearty congratulations on the wonderful occasion. Wishing you a lot of good health, music, happiness and 50+ more years together! Seeking your blessings too.

Dear Maheshram,

What a lovely tribute with wonderful! I am a nephew and disciple of Sri Kovai Dakshinamurthy. He is my father's first cousin. His father TK Balaganesa Iyer was my Chinna-thata.

I met your parents in 2010 at NY Shrutilayaa and they had mentioned about this wedding concert back then. I recall MKR Mama mentioning that this was perhaps the first time Sri BDM had played for Sri SSI and it happened due to the request of your family to have Sri SSI encourage the (then) young upcoming family friend of theirs. How fortunate I am to see the photo today! I will forward this post to my Guru's family.

Sincerely,
KVS Vinay

PS: You are not the first one to add Pillai to BDM's name. Helps that it matches the name of the kanjira legend! On a lighter once I was announced as disciple of Kovai Dakshinamurthy Pillai, an the main artiste quipped "Avar Dakshinamurthy, ivan thaan avar-oda pillai". :)
0 x