Best Android Apps to download

Meenalochani

Best Android Apps to download

Post by Meenalochani »

Dear Rasikas,

I need help on identifying some of the good Android Apps (carnatic music based) and safe to download. I have been using Apple store apps for many uses. Recently I also acquired an Android (may say that got one free from T-Mobile as a promotional drive). I know that there are some very good Android Apps that I can download for Carnatic music that is not available on ios. I will appreciate if I get some suggestions from members of the forum.

Thank you,

Meenalochani

raguanu

Re: Best Android Apps to download

Post by raguanu »

There are truck load of apps on Android for carnatic music. However, we can only recommend the following for their quality and professionalism.
  • Shruti Carnatic Tuner - A tuner app developed by us. It automatically detects the swaram by listening to your voice or instrument. It also plays reference swarams in different sthayis. Pure carnatic swara sthanas, not western equal temperament.
  • Jalra - Lets you practice with mridangam accompaniment. It has inbuilt shruti box, metronome and of course, a jalra :-)
A curated list of decent carnatic apps on android can be found here.

Thank you,
Ananth Pattabi

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Meenalochani,
I use the Krithibook and Subsonic stream for Sangeethapriya.
I use Opera to read and post all kinds of matter in rasikas.org
I have purchased the Bheema tambura app.
There are many other apps, basically trying to set up an eco systen for the likes of you and me. You should try them and decide for yourself.
Magzter with Sruti magazine subscription is good.
All India Radio and some other Carnatic music streaming services are good.

Meenalochani

Post by Meenalochani »

Ana the and Rsachi,

Thank you both very much for your suggestions on Android apps. I have the ne more question. How do I download SangeethaPriya app on Android? It is pretty straight forward on iOS app IPhone from Apple Store. Thank you.

raguanu

Post by raguanu »

Sadhakam Carnatic Ear Trainer is our app that helps the users to improve their Swara Gyānam, by training them to identify and distinguish swarasthanas. It's an interactive app. It contains exercises that drill every swarasthanam in a systematic and progressive way. Exercises are in the form of quiz where the user has to listen to and identify one or more swarasthana. The app then shows the correct answer and keeps track of the user's score.

Sadhakam Carnatic Ear Trainer

Exercises in this app are usually short, each one can be done in a matter of minutes. We hope this motivates students to practice more and can see improvements because they can practice on the go, during breaks or whenever they find a few minutes to spare.

This app is for everyone. Beginner students and rasikas who have had little or no formal lessons can use this app to build their swara gyanam from the ground up. Initially they may struggle to get the answers right in the exercises, but as the app shows the correct swarasthanam every time, they'll gradually learn to associate the sound with its swarasthanam and eventually get better scores. Intermediate and advanced students can use the app to identify the weaknesses in their swara gyānam and rectify them with focussed practice.

Thank you,
Ananth Pattabi