Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Remembering musicians of the recent past
rajeshnat

Re: Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by rajeshnat »

Dr Narmadha Ji
That was a nice tribute . By any chance have they both played (shri MSG and shri LGJ) together at some distant hamlet or a house?

KMH
your muscat video is priceless. Shri LGJ is so truthful to his art .

Rishi
Photos are lovely. Thankyou

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

One of the finest combination is LGJ and VR sir. Few years back when I went to MKR home at NY, i took this picture of picture. I should call this photo with this caption ------> Give me Red Give Me Red everready Lalgudi and Vellore . This photo was taken at NY either kennedy or lincoln hall ( MKR sir should have interesting anecdotes and confirm the hall). sp ramh is also to the left of LGJ and VR sir.

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/syr4bdbi074tv40/O9xDsleZco
Selected slices from the Anjaneyar Koil concert at Nanganallur

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

varshaji...

Are there any copyright tags attached..Am I free to upload in you tube?

varsha

Post by varsha »

No sir please don't. My position will be compromised. My take has always been that there is no other forum like this. And it is here that we should restrict ourselves to.let us remember the videos are nothing compared to sentiments that are captured in a forum like rasikas.let the world tune into this forum.for there is none like this.rasikas.org is organised knowledge.let us strive to keep it that way.regards

venkatakailasam

OK..Madam..thank you.. I am the one who respect other's wishes...

varsha

Post by varsha »

thank you Sir . Appreciate your understanding . Have always been an admirerof your tireless efforts
here is the second part of anjaneyar koil concert
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/em43cqryo0xcws8/j0vmC2o1RA

And here he is , singing .....
https://www.dropbox.com/s/hc81xmbfzjsq5 ... -Sings.dat

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ht8kboiyjd7nh2i/ysaLx-IBY5
moscow concert in bits
Experts talk of the pan shot in the movie Gone with the wind - as one of the all time best. The one which starts with a shot of aquiet corner in the street and keeps zooming back until the whole canvas is a throbbing cauldron of war
The first track in this moscow set is in that class!!!

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

let us remember the videos are nothing compared to sentiments that are captured in a forum like rasikas
Well said. Quite true.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Varsha
Allow me to suggest that the first scene camera work in Devdas II, Lagaan and Jodha Akbar also are masterpieces of cinematography. Of course Gone with the Wind is an epoch-making movie in so many ways.

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

Perhaps when I regain my composure about the loss of this colossus of music I might post some minor and irrelevant reminiscences of concerts as well as personal meetings/interactions with him.

Meanwhile let us savor this real gem which has been in youtube for so long...and needless to say, like so many key Carnatic music moments of the 20th century the mahapurusha named Lalgudi Jayaraman is at the center of it:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Bg2rCuObeYo

In my opinion this single video (from some of the earliest doordarshan broadcasts in Chennai I believe) captures so much of the essence of the Carnatic musical experience...Alathoor Srinivasa Iyer - LALGUDI JAYARAMAN - Palghat Mani Iyer (just gives me the goosebumps listing this sequence of names) -

Tyagaraja - Todi - Kaddanavariki - Neraval - Swaram - Tani ....

Particularly note the delicate play of expressions and TOTAL SYNERGY of Shri LGJ with the vocalist. The ever present gentle smile of enjoyment, the gentle nod of the head in approval, the gentle waiving of a final round of neraval opprotunity, the obvious enjoyment of it all...

The sequence between about 11:29 and 12:45 is particularly instructive and in the current context indescribably poignant when the even the grainy doordarshan capture brings out the intensity and genius of Shri LGJ. At 12:02, ASI and LGJ make eye contact and LGJ silently mouths the phrase buddhi galiginaTTi while "singing" it along on the violin. A moment worth dying for.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

and needless to say, like so many key Carnatic music moments of the 20th century the mahapurusha named Lalgudi Jayaraman is at the center of it
How true.
Uday, I must have listened to this clip several dozen times. But your description helps me see it in a whole different light.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Dr.Narmadaji: That was a great tribute and coming as it does from an accomplished artist and Musical family lends credence to the artistry of LGJ.

RSachi--your analogy is great--enjoy your posts very much for their content,civility of tone!!keep them coming!!!

Rajeshnat: Thanks for posting the LGJ-VR pic--there is a whole beautiful story behind that pic and the stay in my house.
I intend posting some of the rare pics(being a digital neanderthal I need help from my 12 year-old granddaughter!) and also narrate anecdotes. I am currently preoccupied with my wife's Total Knee replacement surgery done 2 days ago and is recuperating--I intend to steal time (during my wife's recuperation!!) to start my own reminiscences of over 40 years. I feel saddened by his loss like millions of rasikas and friends .

Of all the musicians and artistes I have hosted in NA MSAmma and LGJ have been the best in terms not only--ease of hosting but a fountainhead of knowledge and epitome of civility. Dring my recent visit to Chennai myself and my wife visited him on Feb 15 and what was intended to be a courtesy call for 30 mts(he was quite sick at that time and had just come home from the Apollo Hospital--we had hesitated whether we should even call on him--his wife said he insisted we call on him)--the visit lasted 2 hours and despite the slurrhing of speech,his recall of minutae during his stays in our house in NY was remarkable. During the conversation my wife asked what are u working on now to which before Krishnan could pitch in LGJ blurts out "Saraswati (raga)iyele oru varnam pandirukken---no talk of his infirmity or an understandable lament about why I am I being allowed to suffer --normal for any person going thru such an ordeal.

So much more to come----

Ramasubramanian M.K

Uday: My sentiments exactly--his alertness and the modest waiving of the Muttaippu swara thro a gentle nod is a good lesson for many accompaniments of today--less is more!!!

An anecdote testifying to his true humility about his art(Ellam EEsan Seyal was a favorite catch phrase for him).

A couple of years ago,when we visited him he was in the midst of listening to one of his duets(with Sreemathi) with PMI(@ KGS Sabha). In Kaligiyunde in Kirvani,in the swara portion(GJR also was listening),at one point he tells Krishnan,how nicely PMI gives me a lead-in to the next swara that he wants to play and how LGJ was oblivious to it and did not follow the cue. and ends up saying even after 30 years after the concert,one should be the harshest critic of one's own music and learn from cues that may be given by the vocalist or an accompanist like PMI. He was a true Nadopasaka!!

varsha

Post by varsha »

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SdlIWWfmysQ

another classic piece .A fine study of Lalgudi . Confirms my feeling that he sings internally while playing.
please view through , all the parts .
My small claim to glory in this janma was in discovering this piece in a video tape of chittibaby as filler .
Years ago... A stunning video.
The three must be relivinfg these moments for the Gods there now , As we pen these words .

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha: I did not know that you were behind the unearthing of that video with Prof S Ramanathan. I should have known :clap:
The neraval playing by Lalgudi is one the best ever. The bowing brings out every possible expression of "sakala" in sakala bhuvana bhaya haraNa paTu carita jAla.

So few even sing this song anymore :(

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear Mahavishnu, It would be very nice if the list of pallavis created by LGJ is published along with the varnams& other creations. His PALLAVIS are UNIVERSALLY ACKNOWLEDGED TO BE THE MOST CREATIVE& DIFFICULT. For Example Late Sri. Ramnad Raghavan went to MADRAS TO LEARN & PRACTISE THE PALLAVIS EVERY DAY FOR 3 MONTHS FOR THE 1971 L.G.J-N.R.-R.R- T.S.-T.R. TOUR of North America organised by East-West Exchange ( I was one of the 10 members with Prof. D.Sundararaman who was graduate student at Columbia then as President).The late great Bob.Brown managed to get funds from the other parts of Weslyan U Music dept for this trip!) Sri.Tiruchy Sankaran would be of help in this matter. VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

VKV-sir: The LGJ-Ramani tour of '71 is right up there with some of the greatest music ever made. I remember a long discussion we had about it in another thread a few months ago. Varsha was very kind to share several tracks from the NY concert. The simhendra madhyamam RTP in that concert was very special; IIRC, it also had a very nice mohra/korvai that TS and RR played in unison.

I will ask Prof. Sankaran if he has any further information he can share about the pallavis from that tour.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I find now a days my "Productivity Level" is not what it used to be. Since I find you have the energy& interest you can maybe contact some one in Sangeethapriya & they shd. be able to provide the list. Incidentally the HIGHLIGHT of that ENTIRE 1971TOUR FOR ME WAS: We were strapped for cash to such an EXTENT I ended up writing a special computer program to make the entire trip E-W, N-S etc without violating the VISIT USA fare of 200 dollars for the entitre TOUR ALL OVER USA& CANADA! It was so complicated LGJ-N.R. & MYSELF SAT IN SYRACUSE AIRPORT FROM 8A.M. TO 7 P.M. WHILE AA could decide what I had come up with. they GAVE UP & LET ME HAVE MY WAY!...BUT DURING THE ENTIRE PERIOD LGJ EXPLAINED HIS VARNAMS, THILLANAS& PALLAVIS TO ME & EVEN AN IGNORAMUS like me could see every neuron in his brain fire- similar to when Feynman explained RENORMALIZATION to me-& I realised how LUCKY I WAS to hear it from the figurative "Horses's mouth".......In the case of LGJ EVERYTHING ABOUT HIM WAS JUST DIVINE: MUSIC, JUST BEING WITH HIM, EVERYTHING!...VKV

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Dear Dr.VKV,
I really beg you, no, I insist that you write your memoirs, you don't even need to type. We can set up a way for you to merely speak your memoirs. I do believe that people like you are equally rare as Lalgudi, and we need to get the music of your memoirs!
Sir, please don't say no.
Thanks in advance
Sachi R

cacm

Post by cacm »

Rsachi wrote:Dear Dr.VKV,
I really beg you, no, I insist that you write your memoirs, you don't even need to type. We can set up a way for you to merely speak your memoirs. I do believe that people like you are equally rare as Lalgudi, and we need to get the music of your memoirs!
Sir, please don't say no.
Thanks in advance
Sachi R
Dear R, I am in the process of doing exactly that at my son's request. I am writing 2 versions- one for Every one & one for my 4 year old grand son- & this will be my last MAJOR project. It will be incident based with interactions in science, music, and life as major parts describing incidents in my life in India & USA. I definitely will send you a copy. Thanks, vkv

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Seconding that request.
VKV-sir, I am also hoping that you could write more about the MMI-LGJ concerts/interactions/synergies here... You have had a privileged lens into that world.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Thanks Dr VKV!

venkatakailasam

Krithis-by-MMI-with-DrVKVs-comments .....

http://www.sangeethamshare.org/vkv/01-K ... s-comments

you may have to log in

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dear VKV,RSatchi: VKV, I can help about the EW tour of 1971--I was a graduate student @ Columbia Bus School--a struggling student--yet managed to hear and participate in the tour thanks to Yours/Selvi's largeheartedness.

That E-W story needs to be retold for a number of reasons,(FORUMITES Please bear with me if I dwell on this more than on LGJ)
(1) THAT WAS THE FIRST BIG TOUR OF NORTH AMERICA OF A CARNATIC MUSIC ENSEMBLE,(2) It was the FIRST big performance tour . for the experiment--the Violin-Veena-Venu trio .
(3) It was put together by the main architect--VKV with
(a) a band of students( including Dr.Sundararaman who was a Doctoral Student with a family--wife Lakshmi and a kid living on a pittance of scholarship money and still having to host the artistes for the NY concert with a full dress rehearsal before the Columbia Univ performance at the McMillan hall) and a band of recent immigrants-(less than 5 years in the country- most of whom held entry level jobs with not much time/money to spare . VKV took all the risks--recall meetings were held in crowded apartments in NYC--VKV lived in New City--about 45 mts drive--but the rest of us could not afford to commute to new City for the meetings--so the Mountain(VKV) had to come to Mohammed!!!--I do not recall the economics--what could an impoverished graduate student provide to even ask about the tour's economics.
personal phone calls to friends of VKV in Philadelphia,Boston --the artistes were on USA tour with restrictions on not visiting one place more than once-- the locations of the concerts and the local sponsors constraints made any sort of
logistical planning impossible--there were no grand sponsors or underwriters(today with Silicon valley Millionaires it is not impossible!!)--the whole thing was the most complicated Transportation Algorythm Model that any Operations Reseracher. can imagine!!!
That first performance@ Col Uni --LGJ was really nervous--he said"When pandit Ravi Shankar has established North Indian Music on a pedestal in NA,their tour being the First CM organised tour of NA, when people like VKV have put confidence in what was still a experiment,should we not acquit ourselves creditably not only to establish CM in NA firmly but also to make sure that the economics of the tour are not jeopardised for possible future artistes to be sponsored.He also said to me privately that when VKV proposed the tour and mentioned the hardships in arranging the tour he(LGJ) felt that there should not be discussions or haggling over remuneration and that he convinced both Ramani and the Late venkataraman that being a pioneer experiment we should do everything possible to help the organizers. Subsequently reminiscing over the tour LGJ and Ramani also told me that VKV had delivered more than he promised(to this day I have not asked VKV or LGJ what were the terms!!)
Added to all this was the fact that for the first concert Trichy S
ankaran was not available and hence Ramnad Raghavan--who was @ Wesleyan @ that time was to accompany .Although they had done some rehearsals(RR had not accompanied much for LGJ in India-)-LGJ being a meticulous person insisted

before the concert to have a small rehearsal(it turned out to be a full dress rehearsal!!) @ Sundarraraman's apartment
before a small audience of EW friends(including myself). The first concert was a resounding success--using my student status we could get the Mcmillan theter(can be expensive to rent!!)--the acoustics were good--and the trio performed as if their lives depended on the performance!!.

Although this narr turned out to be more tortorous than I had intended ,two things should stand out:

LGJ's respect for the Art and the patrons putting aside his own personal economic expectations--he truly wanted the tour to succeed not only for himself personally but also for the sake of propagation of CM music in NA. This was no PR stunt so far as he was concerned . A concert--no matter where performed --whether before an August audience of connoisseurs in Chennai or eager music lovers abroad(there used to be and still there is prejudice amongst chennai elites that NA music lovers are ignoramuses!!) has to be perfect.
Second factor --that a tour of NA by CM artistes could be arranged and .

could lead to emergence of organisations like CMANA,Cleveland Aradhana, and the host of other organisations throughout

USA and Canada.

In my next post I will narrate some funny anecdotes in the early days of the tour to show LGJ's presence of mind and wit---

cacm

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR, I am having difficulties cogently writing about LGJ. When I GATHER my thoughts I will try to write about LGJ as well as the history of carnatic music in North America which I can write about at least from 1959(when I landed IN JFK- used to be called Idelwield)....VKV
IN THE MEANWHILE PL WRITE U R RECOLLECTIONS AS 1) YOU WRITE MORE INTERESTINGLY 2) GIVES A VIEW FROM A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Varsha,

Ref: Posting 83

When downloaded from drop box A .Dat file is available,but this file could not be opened.Kindly let me know how to open the file.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

vasanthakokilam

Or change the file extension from .dat to .wav and play it with Windows Media player or VLC media player.

venkatakailasam

Violin Venu Veena....

Devotional Carnatic Krithi (Mohanam) on Sri Rama (Violin-Venu-Veena) - "Mohana Rama

comment by uploader...vchak66

"The accompanying Carnatic Krithi is a LP 1967 recording by Sri. Lalgudi Jayaraman (Violin),

N. Ramani (Flute/Venu) &

M. Venkataraman (Veena) with

Sri Umauyalpuram Sivaraman & T.K. Murthy on the Mridangam."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfakrN8DgHYvchak66

I have provided only a link to you tube...mods may decide..

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/01VarnaSri

The maestro at his meditative best . The raga Abhogi will never be the same again - after listening to this version .
A very unusual concert . The maestro himself could not date this concert- in spite of his immaculate record keeping . Worth a million dollars for me .
----------
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ttceaqgl97tf7z9/7wfmWg1Fjv
Ernakulam concert video snippets
----------
finished with all the videos ,
Except the doordarshan duets withamjadali khan .
These will be uploaded in full

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:https://archive.org/details/01VarnaSri

The maestro at his meditative best . The raga Abhogi will never be the same again - after listening to this version .
A very unusual concert . The maestro himself could not date this concert- in spite of his immaculate record keeping . Worth a million dollars for me .
This is a KGS concert with Palghat Mani Iyer & Rajamani. Not sure about the year though

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The image that shri venkatakailasam posted in #105 is truncated , reposting the same image of violin-venu-veena concert

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Ref:104
Dear Vasantha,R Sachi,

Thank you.Changing from .dat to .wav works.

I am keenly following all the tributes paid to Sri Lalgudi and extremely happy that he has left behind volumes of music for Rasikas and students alike.
What a complete musician he was!It is difficult to come to terms that he is no more.I pray god that his children and students get enough chance to continue
Lalgudibani.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A video released on Lalgudi's 80th birthday with other musicians talking about LGJ's music and contributions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPOOa8zv04

A lot of it is in Tamil.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

thanks, Mohan. Very nicely produced short interviews.

varsha

Post by varsha »

The penultimate set of videos . These are of jugalbandis
vkailsam -these are doordarshan videos. And hence free for all for viewing on you tube ,I presume .So pl feel free to use as yoy wish
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iga9x4g5tz74r5s/KPCYp0NsPS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yuf0teljlqzeqdi/rgwit1uM9u

varsha

Post by varsha »

Of course Gone with the Wind is an epoch-making movie in so many ways.
This is the kind of scene I was referring to ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEVyzKmlyU

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha, these are treasures. I remember the 1981 concert vividly (I was actually there at KGS that day).

cacm

Post by cacm »

LATA MANGESHKAR WAS & IS A GREAT AMDIRER & FAN OF LGJ. NOT SURPRISING SHE FOLLOWED HIS 1971 N.A. TOUR INTENSELY....VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Another wonderful Lalgudi concert with Palghat Mani Iyer (and GJR violin support: circa late 70s).
https://archive.org/details/01InthaTham ... annadaAdi2

Absolutely superb mAmava meenAkshi, padavini sadbhakti and O Rangasayee followed by PMI's resounding thani. What majestic nadham! Headphones recommended (Eq settings: cut off the 16Khz and 8KHz frequencies completely and boost the lower frequencies to maximum).

If anyone has a good recording of an LGJ/PSP full length concert, I would be much obliged if you could share it here.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Mahavishnu! Headphones do make a huge difference.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Mahavishnu: Thanks for the archives--PMI and Lalgudi forged a great mutually respectful relationship after the "Giants" passed away--upto that point PMI was very circumspect and ambivalent about LGJ's penchant for displays rivalling the vocalist!!(PMI despite his immense popularity always felt that Violin and mridangam were Pakka vadyams and not PAKKAAA Vadyams(emphasis mine)--later on he realized that accompaniments going "seemingly" overboard to please audiences was OK.He enthusiastically played for several LGJ-Sreemathi and LGJ-Krishnan solos . There is aLGJ-Sreemathi-PMI and possibly Rajamony 'floating" around in the digital stratosphere--I have heard it and is notyable for PMI's madam.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Here's an interview with PMI where he shares his thoughts on LGJ:
http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ptsmani.txt
Of contemporary violinists, Mani Iyer commended Lalgudi Jayaraman as an artiste of considerable vidwat and intelligence who also knew the secret of audience interaction. His weakness was excess playing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The violinist in Varadu's article (The one in DKP's concert) does not lokk like LGJ at all, where as it is mentioned so.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Semmu is right. The violinist in that picture is certainly not LGJ.