Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Remembering musicians of the recent past
cacm

Re: Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

Post by cacm »

Dear MKR, I am having difficulties cogently writing about LGJ. When I GATHER my thoughts I will try to write about LGJ as well as the history of carnatic music in North America which I can write about at least from 1959(when I landed IN JFK- used to be called Idelwield)....VKV
IN THE MEANWHILE PL WRITE U R RECOLLECTIONS AS 1) YOU WRITE MORE INTERESTINGLY 2) GIVES A VIEW FROM A SLIGHTLY DIFFERENT ANGLE

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Varsha,

Ref: Posting 83

When downloaded from drop box A .Dat file is available,but this file could not be opened.Kindly let me know how to open the file.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

vasanthakokilam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Or change the file extension from .dat to .wav and play it with Windows Media player or VLC media player.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Violin Venu Veena....

Devotional Carnatic Krithi (Mohanam) on Sri Rama (Violin-Venu-Veena) - "Mohana Rama

comment by uploader...vchak66

"The accompanying Carnatic Krithi is a LP 1967 recording by Sri. Lalgudi Jayaraman (Violin),

N. Ramani (Flute/Venu) &

M. Venkataraman (Veena) with

Sri Umauyalpuram Sivaraman & T.K. Murthy on the Mridangam."

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RfakrN8DgHYvchak66

I have provided only a link to you tube...mods may decide..

varsha

Post by varsha »

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://archive.org/details/01VarnaSri

The maestro at his meditative best . The raga Abhogi will never be the same again - after listening to this version .
A very unusual concert . The maestro himself could not date this concert- in spite of his immaculate record keeping . Worth a million dollars for me .
----------
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/ttceaqgl97tf7z9/7wfmWg1Fjv
Ernakulam concert video snippets
----------
finished with all the videos ,
Except the doordarshan duets withamjadali khan .
These will be uploaded in full

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

varsha wrote:https://archive.org/details/01VarnaSri

The maestro at his meditative best . The raga Abhogi will never be the same again - after listening to this version .
A very unusual concert . The maestro himself could not date this concert- in spite of his immaculate record keeping . Worth a million dollars for me .
This is a KGS concert with Palghat Mani Iyer & Rajamani. Not sure about the year though

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The image that shri venkatakailasam posted in #105 is truncated , reposting the same image of violin-venu-veena concert

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Ref:104
Dear Vasantha,R Sachi,

Thank you.Changing from .dat to .wav works.

I am keenly following all the tributes paid to Sri Lalgudi and extremely happy that he has left behind volumes of music for Rasikas and students alike.
What a complete musician he was!It is difficult to come to terms that he is no more.I pray god that his children and students get enough chance to continue
Lalgudibani.

mohan

Post by mohan »

A video released on Lalgudi's 80th birthday with other musicians talking about LGJ's music and contributions
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xjPOOa8zv04

A lot of it is in Tamil.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

thanks, Mohan. Very nicely produced short interviews.

varsha

Post by varsha »

The penultimate set of videos . These are of jugalbandis
vkailsam -these are doordarshan videos. And hence free for all for viewing on you tube ,I presume .So pl feel free to use as yoy wish
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/iga9x4g5tz74r5s/KPCYp0NsPS
https://www.dropbox.com/sh/yuf0teljlqzeqdi/rgwit1uM9u

varsha

Post by varsha »

Of course Gone with the Wind is an epoch-making movie in so many ways.
This is the kind of scene I was referring to ....
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qSEVyzKmlyU

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Varsha, these are treasures. I remember the 1981 concert vividly (I was actually there at KGS that day).

cacm

Post by cacm »

LATA MANGESHKAR WAS & IS A GREAT AMDIRER & FAN OF LGJ. NOT SURPRISING SHE FOLLOWED HIS 1971 N.A. TOUR INTENSELY....VKV

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Another wonderful Lalgudi concert with Palghat Mani Iyer (and GJR violin support: circa late 70s).
https://archive.org/details/01InthaTham ... annadaAdi2

Absolutely superb mAmava meenAkshi, padavini sadbhakti and O Rangasayee followed by PMI's resounding thani. What majestic nadham! Headphones recommended (Eq settings: cut off the 16Khz and 8KHz frequencies completely and boost the lower frequencies to maximum).

If anyone has a good recording of an LGJ/PSP full length concert, I would be much obliged if you could share it here.

vasanthakokilam

Thanks Mahavishnu! Headphones do make a huge difference.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Mahavishnu: Thanks for the archives--PMI and Lalgudi forged a great mutually respectful relationship after the "Giants" passed away--upto that point PMI was very circumspect and ambivalent about LGJ's penchant for displays rivalling the vocalist!!(PMI despite his immense popularity always felt that Violin and mridangam were Pakka vadyams and not PAKKAAA Vadyams(emphasis mine)--later on he realized that accompaniments going "seemingly" overboard to please audiences was OK.He enthusiastically played for several LGJ-Sreemathi and LGJ-Krishnan solos . There is aLGJ-Sreemathi-PMI and possibly Rajamony 'floating" around in the digital stratosphere--I have heard it and is notyable for PMI's madam.

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Here's an interview with PMI where he shares his thoughts on LGJ:
http://www.carnaticcorner.com/articles/ptsmani.txt
Of contemporary violinists, Mani Iyer commended Lalgudi Jayaraman as an artiste of considerable vidwat and intelligence who also knew the secret of audience interaction. His weakness was excess playing.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

The violinist in Varadu's article (The one in DKP's concert) does not lokk like LGJ at all, where as it is mentioned so.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Semmu is right. The violinist in that picture is certainly not LGJ.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ramesh, I wondered about that, because, isn't there a biographical sketch elsewhere in this thread that indicates that following his father and guru's advice, he did not accompany women artists?

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Yes, Ravi. I believe that is accurate.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Mahavishnu,
The moment I saw that pic, I flicked an email to my expert friend saying it didn't look like LGJ and I thought it was actually VVS.
He confirmed that LGJ didn't accompany women.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

That makes him yet another with PMI who would not accompany women..
PMI made an exception to DKP, his sambandhi..

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

PMI accompanied MLV also. They were both also on the faculty together at Rishi Valley (KFI).

vasanthakokilam

rajeshnat wrote:varadu's tribute of LGJ
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 698832.ece
I found this quite a noteworthy angle that varadu speaks of: "He inspired them ( the vocalists ), gave them comfort and was with them in every moment".

Ramasubramanian M.K

Re: PMI not accompanying women till he started playing for DKP(Sambandhi as CML points out!!) and for MLV when they were both on the faculty of Rishi Valley.

The interesting fact was in 1952 when Semmangudi celebrated his daughter's wedding in Courtallam, attempts were made by common friends of SSI/TS and SSI to "coax" PMI to accompany MSS(MSS sang at the reception).PMI was resolute and politely said NO! The excuse in those days was the high sruthi of female vocalists and his "discomfort" with the mridangam at high sruthis(Caveat: I am not a Mridangam player so that I cannot vouch for the veracity of this "theory"!!) How the likes of Kalpathi Ramanathan,T.K.Murthy et al managed to accompany MSS I wonder!!!

As recently as in the seventies,when CMANA in NJ made a request to Trichy Sankaran to accompany MLV(because there was a problem with the regular accompanist--I forget who)-TS turned the request down with a similar reason!!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Interesting as always, MKR. I appreciate your personal and historic insights. Perhaps this could be the topic of another thread... I do have a good bit to say on this topic.

However, we should respectfully try and keep this thread as closely related to LGJ reminiscences and tributes. My apologies for contributing to the digression.

Back on topic, here is a wonderful example of the LGJ's brilliance of return that Varadu talks about. Here is a grahabedham in response to BMK's Kalyani (clip courtesy Cool-ji). https://archive.org/details/LalgudiBMKKalyani

Music does not get better than this!

semmu86

Post by semmu86 »

vasanthakokilam wrote:I found this quite a noteworthy angle that varadu speaks of: "He inspired them ( the vocalists ), gave them comfort and was with them in every moment".
You can testify to those above words, when you see the video of Alathur Srinivasa Iyer accompanied by LGJ. There was so much of synergy between them. Uday described that beautifully in an earlier post. The way ASI & Vairamangalam enjoyed every bit of LGJ's accompaniment, esp the way ASI nodded his head in appreciation of LGJ's thodi opening, the way LGJ forgoes the final round of madhyamakAla niraval and eggs on ASI to sing the swarams :: Priceless moments, worth watching again & again......

Aditto

Post by Aditto »

Please watch this :
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tr34UG1nDEc

Regards,
Aditya.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thanks for sharing this, Aditya.
Sri Ramani playing tanpura for LGJ, with so much reverence is a sight to behold!

And it is great to see Sri LGJ, Ramani, UKS and Vikku together.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Mahavishnu: YOU are right that the discussion belongs in another thread--sometimes when one sees a comment,,I fly off in a tangent in Mudikondan style because it "triggers" an anecdote--.

YES--there is so much to write about LGJ--I plan to write a coherent narrative ASAP.

Personally it is a great loss to me and my family because he was one of us--I spent almost 3 hours with him when I was in Chennai two months back-- despite the fact that he was severely incapacitated

he still managed to correct our reminiscences and when my wife asked him what he was working on he said with glee in Tamil--Saraswathiyile oru varnam pannirukken--I do not know whether it has been played in concert by Krishnan and Viji yet. Till his last breath the musical mind was a s fertile as ever!!

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Thank you, Dr. Pasupathy.
MKR, Looking forward to your detailed recollections.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

LALGUDI'S NECTAR DROPS - PART 4

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5A53KXnh38Y

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

These are Nectar indeed !

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

Lalgudi Jayaraman - Adamodi galade - Charukesi - Thyagaraja

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5aM8N7lMnbk

Ramasubramanian M.K

Dr.Pasupathy:Cannot thank you enough for literally extracting the nectars --the quality of the expressions of the students speaks volumes for the Maestro's genius---beautifully edited and crisply rendered.
YOU HAVE LITERALLY STOLEN THE THUNDER OUT OF THE NARRATIVE THAT I AM PLANNING TO WRITE!!

Having been a witness countless #of times during his teaching sessions,I visualize the "arc" of the disciples--6 or 7 or 8 with the maestro seated in a chair and "coaxing" the nuances out of every note,krithi with a mixture of playfulness/taunting and serious advice. No time wasted on his experiences or exploits(I have seen some teachers getting lost in reverie over their "feats".

What is amazing and noteworthy is the fact that despite the fact that he grew up under a strict regimen from his father,he never resorted to those methods when he taught students--same thing when talking to his children--lot of latitude given but seldom abused by his students or children.Even when he gets upset by small things,his chiding would be gentle but none-the-less "stinging"(I have been at the receiving end in public@ Cleveland !!).Will cover this in the narrative later.

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

YOU HAVE LITERALLY STOLEN THE THUNDER OUT OF THE NARRATIVE THAT I AM PLANNING TO WRITE!!
:) The credit/blame goes to S B Khanthan!

Please go ahead with your narrative ! ; looking forward to it. I'm sure you will pack it with fresh insights!

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

pORRuvAr pORRalum tURRuvAr tURRalum pOgaTtum KAnthanukkE! :)

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

MKR
Looking forward to your illuminating episodes with SwargIya LGJ !

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Sri MKR,

Please continue : Lalgudi reminiscences and tributes

regards,
HNBhagavan

Pasupathy

Post by Pasupathy »

LALGUDI'S NECTAR DROPS - PART 5
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fEJ9TjdA2bc

LALGUDI'S NECTAR DROPS - PART 6
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BEZxgJd8mwk

Ramasubramanian M.K

Forumites: Thanks for encouraging(!!) me to write on LGJ's reminiscences. You will be amply 'punished" for your indiscretion in suggesting!!
Seriously though,I am planning to start next week. I intend posting atleast twice/week with intervals inviting other forumites to pitch in.While immediate constraints on my time have hampered my efforts, I must confess my ambivalence on the subject. While I had no such qualms in my chronicles on MS Amma and SSI,LGJ was an extremely private man who did not wish any attention being drawn to him other than his music. I had several times suggested to him to follow the forum and offer comments he always smilingly dismissed my suggestion.Neverthless I am undertaking this if only to remove some of the mystique that surrounded him.

Hopefully my narrative will be enhanced/corraborated/refuted by rasikas.

cmlover

Post by cmlover »

It will be nice to view LGJ through the MKR glasses!
Any distortions may be attributed to the glasses than to LGJ himself :D