T.R. Balamani passes away

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Smag

T.R. Balamani passes away

Post by Smag »

T.R. Balamani, well known Carnatic music guru, who trained several star musicians, passed away in the morning on 30 October 2014, in Chennai.

click here to read more

http://srutimag.blogspot.in/

mridhangam

Balamani Mami passes away

Post by mridhangam »

Veteran Musician and Teacher Balamani Mami passed away today

Mannarkoil Balaji

bombal

Re: Balamani Mami passes away

Post by bombal »

sad news...fond memories of her during our bombay days...

May Her soul rest in peace

gardabha_gana

Re: T.R. Balamani passes away

Post by gardabha_gana »

Very sad. Deep condolences.

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

Revered music teacher of Mumbai,Smt T R Balamani passed away today morning.May her soul Rest In Peace.She was a guru to many illustrious students like Shankar Mahadevan,Smt Bombay Jayashree and many more...She will be sorely missed...

She was the recipient of several awards including the first M.S. Subbulakshmi Lifetime Achievement Award from Sri Shanmukhananda Fine Arts, Mumbai; the TTK Award from the Music Academy, Chennai; and the Acharya Rathnakara title from the Tyagaraja Aradhana Committee, Cleveland..

Full size picture: http://oi59.tinypic.com/2lsa1af.jpg

cienu

Post by cienu »

Heartfelt condolences.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to her family and students. May her soul rest in peace!

Here is the write that Rajesh brough us.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sincere condolences.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Condolences to the family and her numerous students.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

A great loss to the music world. She lives through her illustrious students who will continue her legacy. Condolences to her family, friends and students.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

When DKJ died SSI said 'WITH HIS DEATH A WHOLE LIBRARY OF MUSIC HAS BEEN LOST' REFERRING TO DKJ'S WIDE REPERTOIRE OF SONGS.

LIKEWISE IT COULD TRULY BE SAID WITH BALAMANI AMMA'S DEMISE A WHOLE UNIVERSITY OF MUSIC IN MUMBAI RESPONSIBLE FOR TRAINING OF TODAYS STARS IN THE CARNATIC MUSIC WORLD HAS BEEN SHUT DOWN!!

As a mumbaikar who has watched her 'pupils" rise and shine I tip my hat off to the Great Lady Teacher for her selflessness and humility and avoiding the limelight!!
May her soul rest in peace!!! Condolences to her extended Musical Family, Friends and well-wishers!!

msakella

Post by msakella »

Heartfelt condolences to the family members and students. amsharma

tkb

Post by tkb »

our condolence.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

She surely has nurtured talent and has been a karanakarta for many great disciples. Condolences to her family and sishya parampara. I hope with the loss of Sri vamanan and smt balamani , there are more gurus like them in mumbai to take CM forward.

bombal

Post by bombal »

Image - captured through my phone camera.

saw this picture in the tribute to Smt T R Balamani by Swati in youtube. This picture is apparently taken in Bharatiya Music and Arts society, where my father Sri C V Narasimhan was the secretary. He is seen behind the mridangam artist (which I am assuming is "chuppamani mama" Subramaniam - disciple of Palghat T S Mani Iyer)..others seen in this picture are Smt Sulochana Rajendran, Smt Vijayam Ramaswamy (mother of Vinod Venkatraman). Devakottai Narayana Iyengar and Chembai bhagavathar are seated in the audience.

a treat to watch..

:namaste:

aishuv

Post by aishuv »

Balaji Mama,

Wow, you brought back nostalgic memories with this photo. I had seen a photo of my grandmother, Vijayam Ramaswamy, and Chembai Mama playing a violin duet concert together many years back.

My patti was a strong-willed person all the way to her last days, though was quite weak as she had pancreatic cancer. At that time, she made it her life's work to teach me as much as physically possible. I still remember her teaching me Swati Tirunal's Dhanashri Thillana. She would curl up in the corner of the room, using both walls as support, and would use all her energy to sing to me. On especially good days, she would pull out her violin, which was a real treat. One of the violins I use today, is the very one she is using in that photo.

Thank you so much for the beautiful picture. As I prepare for this evening's concert, this was exactly the motivation I needed. I feel some good manodharmam coming my way!

Aishu

bombal

Post by bombal »

good for you Aishu...all the very best for the season...

the task is on you to try and get the original picture and preserve a copy for me..

see you on the 26th Dec morning

Balaji