Guru Sri.Vaigal.S.Gnanaskandan - A Tribute

Remembering musicians of the recent past
Ranganayaki

Re: Guru Sri.Vaigal.S.Gnanaskandan - A Tribute

Post by Ranganayaki »

Dear CACM, Rsachi,
I just want it to be clear that my tribute to my Guru described only the wonderful things that came to mind and only the wonderful things came to mind. The moments spent with in music lessons over many years are pure joy and still comfort me and uplift my mind. Nothing in my post raised the question of fame. It was just my feelings about him. Just my feelings about the inadequacy of the audio system when I heard him, because I knew how great his voice really was. I have no questions about fame eluding him, it is not a mystery to me. I would really appreciate it if the discussion about fame be moved to another thread. That certainly has its place, and I too am looking forward to hearing Lalgudi's views and understanding. But please not here. It's not relevant at all here.

Rsachi

Post by Rsachi »

Ok Ranganayaki, respect your sentiments.

cacm

Post by cacm »

I REALISE THE SENSITIVITY INVOLVED; I am NOT interested in sharing my views& esp. INVOLVING OTHERS LIKE LGJ here or for that matter if the subject matter is CONSIDERED PERSONAL BY OTHERS. VKV

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

That is kind, rsachi.. thanks.. please make sure we hear about it. :)

Nick, Vasanthakokilam, thank you for your kind words..

CACM, I hope "not here" only means "not in this thread". Please do share more of what Sri LGJ's views were on recognition and fame, it would be interesting and educative.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have heard about his being an exceptional guru. Gayathri Girish and other students prove his mettle. I was moved by what Gayathri, Ranganayaki and others had to say about him.

We have lost another precious guru...

Condolences to his family and students whose music will speak of him in the future.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

Rajesh, rshankar, Sreeni Raja Rao, I searched and found this single recording..

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aV1uGdrJjxA

I recognize it in part.. the song itself, it was one he used to sing and I can picture him singing it, but I do not fully recognize the timbre of his voice - the distortion of the mike and of the rather old recording on top of that.. It took a couple of plays for me to get a feel for it.

Also, Harimau, could you explain what you said about his family history? How did that come to be known?

ganeshkant

Post by ganeshkant »

saw this thread just now accidentally.

I have listened him a few times in person and in radio.the one concert that I vividly remember is the one in KGS in 85 or 86;that concert was sponsored by mahArajapuram family and santAnam with his sons was sitting in the first row.T.Rukmini and Tvr.bhaktavatsalam accompanied and I heard varamu for the first time.he beautifully sang that followed by manasulOni and the main was O rangasayee. He is a vAgyEyakArA also and there is a recording with AIR where he sings exclusively his compositions.I always like his composition in kEdAram -"AdipoorathammaVe ungaLai vaNanguhirEn".A great artist.

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Thank you for the YouTube link - I like his music!
I wish there is more recorded music hidden somewhere and it will come out in the near future.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Ranganayaki- thank you for the link!
Ganeshkant- thank you for the information that he composed as well. I do hope that Smt. Gayathri, SrI Gurucharan, and Sri Sankaranarayanan will include their guru's compositions in their concerts.
Ranganayaki - have you learned any of them?

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

rshankar wrote:Ranganayaki- thank you for the link!
Ganeshkant- thank you for the information that he composed as well. I do hope that Smt. Gayathri, SrI Gurucharan, and Sri Sankaranarayanan will include their guru's compositions in their concerts.
Ranganayaki - have you learned any of them?
No, Shankar, I'm afraid I did no even know of them, or of him as a vaggeyakar. This must have been after my time with him.. :cry: I think I've been stuck in my memories. :(

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/d18lx7899umwr ... i.mp3?dl=0

searching for a concert that will be remniscent of his singing in a room in personal settings .will upload later tonight

varsha

Post by varsha »

https://www.dropbox.com/s/kgs1eioe3esw3 ... y.MP3?dl=0
RN
It has always been my greatest regret that I don't have recorded music from those days..
Hope this is some consolation

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Varsha avare,

I had you in mind when I made the earlier comment about some more recordings seeing the light of the day, and you have delivered once more, as always!

I am enjoying the 72 minute album as I write this!

Aha! This Neelambari is beautiful!

Thank You!

CRama

Post by CRama »

Thank you Varsha for the rare concert of Vaigai. And a bonus of MD kritis by R.Vedavalli. Thank you again.

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

varsha wrote: Hope this is some consolation
It certainly is, Varsha, you are kind!! It is not exactly his voice, his real voice was fuller, this voice sounds thinner and almost confuses me, but the singing definitely has his stamp, I remember it all so well and it all comes back so much more real, sangati after sangati.

It is so wonderful that you found this. In which year was this recorded?

You posted this several days ago, it seems, but I only just saw it. Thank you !!

Sreeni Rajarao

Post by Sreeni Rajarao »

Sreeni Rajarao wrote:Varsha avare,

Aha! This Neelambari is beautiful!

Thank You!
I now realize there is Smt R Vedavalli's music as well in this 72 min album!
I was enjoying the music so much when I first listened to the recording that I did not even notice the shift from Sri Vaigal to Smt Vedavalli!

harimau

Post by harimau »

Ranganayaki wrote:
Also, Harimau, could you explain what you said about his family history? How did that come to be known?
A close relative was learning music from Sri Gnanaskandan. I got to know Sri Gnanaskandan because of that.

One day, while discussing our respective family background and interest in music, he told me that he was a descendant of Sundaramurthy Nayanar.

I don't think that he would have shared that with any of his students, nor would that have come out unless the conversation veered off in the direction of family history, as it did that day.

harimau

Post by harimau »

Ranganayaki wrote: No, Shankar, I'm afraid I did no even know of them, or of him as a vaggeyakar. This must have been after my time with him.. :cry: I think I've been stuck in my memories. :(
Sri Gnanaskandan had brought out a booklet with about 20 of his compositions -- lyrics only, no notations.

As a guru, he was extremely encouraging of his students. He held an annual function where his students would perform and the best students received the title Sangeetha Bhaskara.

I dare say that would have been the first ever title received by the likes of Gayathri Girish and Sikkil Gurucharan.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Harimau,
Thank you for your post.It gives more of a glimpse into his music for us.

shrivi64

Post by shrivi64 »

Hi Ranganayaki, are you the daughter of Sri Venugopal of IIT? Vedu is your sister right? Am sree vidhya d/o of sri vaigal.s.gnanaskandhan