Remembering musicians of the recent past
MaheshS

Bharath Rathna A.P.J. Abdul Kalam passes away

Post by MaheshS »

RIP. A nation in mourning :(

SrinathK

R.I.P. Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam

Post by SrinathK »

Our former president Dr. Kalam passed away giving a lecture at IIM Shillong today. How can I forget that lecture at IITM where he had said that his goal was to see a smile on the faces of more than a billion Indian people...

Ranganayaki

Re: Bharath Rathna A.P.J. Abdul Kalam passes away

Post by Ranganayaki »

I'm so sorry! Condolences to all!

rshankar

Re: R.I.P. Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam

Post by rshankar »

RIP indeed to a realized soul, a liberated man, an intelligent individual, and an amazing intellectual, who was incidentally one of India's best leaders, and possible on the world arena as well!

vasanthakokilam

Re: R.I.P. Dr. A.P.J Abdul Kalam

Post by vasanthakokilam »

Oh.. very sad to hear. An amazing individual indeed. Condolences to his family, friends and last but not the least to the nation of India as a whole.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

arasi

Post by arasi »

Sad, sad, very sad...

VK RAMAN

Post by VK RAMAN »

Inimitable Bharat Ratna and prolific Scientist - an irreplaceable loss to the Country but his legacy and simpleton lifestyle will emulate citizens to follow.

Sundara Rajan

Post by Sundara Rajan »

An eminent simple man , my contemporary in St. Joseph's College, Tiruchi,
a model citizen who lead a simple clean life in and out of the highest office
in the country,was very active till the very end. While grieving his loss,
let us also celebrate his life and try to emulate him. His end was a deserved
"anAyAsa maraNam"

venkatakailasam

Post by venkatakailasam »

One who had shown lot of interest in Carnatic music..
His Composition on MS Subhulakshmi:

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Very sad. A noble soul is no more with us.
Thanjavooran
28 07 2015

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

From Rameshwaram to the Rashtrapathi Bhavan
From one extreme tip of the country to the other
From a news paper delivery boy to being on the headlines of all the
News Papers the world over
For whom even Rocket Science was no Rocket Science
From being the Missile Man to being the Messiah of the Nation
Who wanted both his Rocket and Rajya to soar high
From almost being a Fighter Pilot to being a fighter for the cause of the downtrodden
What made the journey possible!
His belief in himself, his belief in doing his duty
His conviction in being , not a handsome man, but
Giving his hand to some one in need
With a love for Music ,Veena, the Bhagavadgita
With a passion for teaching that literally kept him on his toes till the very last breath
The nation has lost its most precious gem
A loss, that can be never made good
Will there be another one like him!
RIP, Sir,
Yes, RIP, Return If Possible!

maduraimini

Post by maduraimini »

Very sad to hear about Abdul Kalaam's demise. He was a scholar and was a simple man from what I read. May his soul rest in peace. India has lost a good leader .

Ponbhairavi

Post by Ponbhairavi »

Bhairavi Pondicherry is specially thankful to Him for his spontaneous grant of rs 50000/ (just on our appeal letter with our record of performances without any political recommendation) which shows his genuine interest in Carnatic music
Last edited by Ponbhairavi on 28 Jul 2015, 10:52, edited 2 times in total.

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

RIP Sir, the great saint-scientist !

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

ramamantra, you have led to a new word! Saintist!

ramamantra

Post by ramamantra »

Thanks, but it is the great soul that Dr APJ Abdul Kalam is, that inspired the thought. Simplicity, humility and passion was what he lived with. A great and rare human being. May his soul rest in peace.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Great Loss to the Country and humanity!! Great lover of Carnatic Music and a good Veena Player I am told. On MSAmma's demise in Dec 2014,he requested that the cremation be held up as he wanted to pay his homage to the Great Lady for whom he had the highest regard.He arrived by Noon and paid his homage to her and left for Delhi immediately thereafter..
One of his closest aides(since his DRDO days was my friend and classmate the late Maj.General R.Swaminathan.When Swaminathan died a couple of years ago,The President issued a special eulogy mourning the death of his "dear" friend for over 35 years. The closest I ever got to him was when I visited my friend in Rashtrapathy Bhavan whose office was a few steps away from the President's. It was around 9 A.M. in the morning--when I was talking to my friend, one of the buttons on my friend's telephone lights up and I could hear the President asking in a low voice in Tamil "Ippo Vareengala"(Can you please come?). He did not ask his PA or ADC to "summon" my friend. he was the epitome of grace,humility and compassion.
There is an incident in one of his books where he shows WHAT he learnt about leadership from Dr.Dhawan--the pioneer in the Space endeavours. It seems the first missile launch(under Indira Gandhi) was rushed for political reasons to meet an unreasonable deadline date for the launch.Despite the best efforts of all concerned the launch failed. Dr.Kalam wanted to go before the Press Conference and address the Press --Dr.Dhawan intervened and went before the microphone and said"WE FAILED" and did not let Dr.Kalam take the responsibility for the failure. Later on when the launch was successful,in a similar press conference,Dr. Kalam urged Dr.Dhawan to address the press. Instead Dr.Dhawan asked Dr.Kalam to take the mike and declare the successful launch!! Dr. Kalam says in his book he learnt a whole lexicon of Management and Leadership on that ONE incident.
It was a shame that Sonia Gandhi for political reasons did not spearhead an attempt to have him for another term an yet never once did the President ever impute any motives to his detractors!!

May his soul rest in peace!!

shankarank

Post by shankarank »

Dr APJ Kalam epitomised the best in all of us - the steadfastness of a Muslim, work ethic of a westerner, humility of the Tamil villager (engal tamizh maNNiRkE uritta paNbAdu), pride in heritage of the learned class - a sEtu bandanam of a different type.

He is the most travelled to the North East - a region of neglect in our National polity. What a way and place to leave the world!!

How can people of such intelligence (V.R. Krishna Iyer included) be happy and peaceful? No RIP - we want such people born again. tears!

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

Dr. A P J kalam's (AK) prowess in various fields is incredible. Despite these, he was very humble. Wanted to be a teacher till his last breath. Two things came to me mind.

He passed away on an Ekadashi day & Anushak nakshatram. This shows a noble person, irrespective of religion, will be remembered by God like this only. Also, I feel, Hindu God, irrespective of religion, crosses the religious barriers and bless the person, Abdul kalam.

Scientist, Presidet, Teacher, voracious reader, loved by all students - This is understood. On my way to coming to office today, I could see many posters, cut outs, besides a glowing candle at various places in memory of AK. Even Auto rikshaw union, particular street youths and local members put that cut outs. I don't know how these people got inspiration from AK. I could see this attitude only to MGR because of his cine fame and CM and his generosity. Really touching to see these people showing the same attitude to AK.

arasi

Post by arasi »

SastrigaL,
Thanks for your post...

WHITHER, DIFFERENCES?

For now, in the name of a great man
Differences cease, of religions and men--

His life's breath, though has stopped
Flows in those whom he cared about
And it has touched them--the ones
He ruled over as a nation's leader
With the power of his love and care--

All that he had, the mind, heart so kind
Had touched the minds of all, it seems--
From super minds to those who labor
A moving thing--no politics, no power play--
Just a humble man spanning humanity's
Every level of thinking, feeling and being...

Such men, divine ones, walk through life,
Every step a meaningful one, tugging hearts
In one way or other, making a difference
However small, in the live of all, bless them :)

Agnostic

Post by Agnostic »

He can be called "The new-age-Gandhi while Mahatma Gandhi believed in non-violence and he was a missile-man which is paradoxical though. His simplicity, honesty and freegan nature galvanized the nation, hence over a lakh people swarmed Rameswaram to pay homage.

kunthalavarali

Post by kunthalavarali »

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nAe6r6V ... e=youtu.be

Received the above video in my email. Thought I would share this.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Thank you, kunthalavarali, for bringing this for us all to see.

A valuable story for children and adults alike, especially when we adults drift away from harmony in our lives and no longer inspire others--especially the children...

Ranganayaki

Post by Ranganayaki »

What great fathers! What a loss for his friend now! An open-minded teacher too, otherwise he would have been impossible to correct and would have apologized without embracing the truth! Everyone is wonderful here.

cameo

Post by cameo »

A touche article in malayalam newspaper about Shri abdul Kalam's interest in carnatic music

He walks on to the stage and sits there to listen "Endaro Mahanubhavulu" which was his favoutite keerthanam.

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

Can someone translate the malayalam article for our benefit?

cameo

Post by cameo »

This is an article mostly on the experience shared by a flute artist.

I have put a rough translation, and not line by line, and may not be as good. Just you will get some insight.

##############

This story is about a rarest of the rare episode in the history of Indian politics.
The story of a president who stood delighted listening to the “Sreeragam” flowing from the flute.

He broke all the protocol and went up to the stage and sat beside the artist listening to “Endaro Mahanubhavulu” by Thyagaraja Swami. Then he asked the artist his name, and whereabouts.

His name is Narendranath. He is the lead of Navy’s Jazz band, and his team got the opportunity to be the official music troupe in Rastrapathi Bhavan. Whenever the president was free, he would call Narendranath and make him play his flute. Their relation went to higher levels, and later on he also got a chance to teach the President Piano.

Navys Jazz band is the team that arranges and plays the music concerts for the guests of Rashtrapathi Bhavan. It was his interest in Carnatic music that made Kalam to bring a flute player into the team, and that is when Narendranath joined the team.

One day there was a concert by Bismillah Khan in Mughal Gardens. After his program, as Kalam was walking he heard his favorite Keerthana being played in the loudspeaker. Immediately he returned, crossed the crowd gathered there and sat on the stage like a child and enjoyed the music. This crowd also had dignitaries like Manmohan Singh, Sonia Gandhi and so on..

Kalam used to make him play this ragam very often during his leisure hours.

Thought Kalam had a little bit of knowledge on Veena, he wished to learn another instrument, and that is when Narendranath advised him to choose Piano.

Kalam used to ask to play some ragas in the flute, and his favorites being Sreeragam and Brindavana Saranga. Mostly these interactions happens in Rashtrapathi Bhavan’s Banquet hall or Ashoka Hall.

It was on Pournami days, that the concerts are arranged in Mughal Garden. Kalam himself takes the lead to arrange the artists which had the legends like Balamuralikrishna, Bismillah Khan, Mandolin Srinivas and so on.

Just 2 years prior to the end of his presidentship, Kalam had his family from Rameswaram visting him, and Kalam made sure that that days concert was mostly packed with Ilayaraj and AR Rahmans songs.

##############

girish_a

Post by girish_a »

How beautiful! Thank you very much, cameo.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Cameo,
Thank you for the translation!
There was a post where he was described as not being a handsome man. I see his face beaming to the sound of music here and wonder why he was thought of that way...

"Handsome is handsome does" too, I suppose...

His long flowing hair reminds me of the 'bhAgavathar crop', sported by some famous singers (mostly stars of the film world) like MKT.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Having been away from the forum during my UK holiday, my small personal tribute comes late.

When I first became aware of Sri Abdul Kalam, it was his hairstyle that first struck me. Of course, it is a shallow observation, but it did seem wonderful to me (I detest that American clean-cut-suit-and-tie-MBA look) that a man in such a position should have such a wonderful mop of hair!

Over the next few years, I came to know that it was not only the hair, but the man himself, that was wonderful. I am so sad that he is no more.

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

arasi wrote:Cameo,
Thank you for the translation!
There was a post where he was described as not being a handsome man. I see his face beaming to the sound of music here and wonder why he was thought of that way...

"Handsome is handsome does" too, I suppose...

His long flowing hair reminds me of the 'bhAgavathar crop', sported by some famous singers (mostly stars of the film world) like MKT.

arasi, if you are referring to the tribute i wrote on him, it is based on what he himself is supposed to have said :
'I am not a handsome man, but I will give my hand to some one in need'.'
Other wise I dare not describe him as such!

arasi

Post by arasi »

Punarvasu,
With the pea soup foggy weather we have had here, my old mind got even more muddled, and I had no clue who had mentioned it :( You do know that I would have sent you an E-mail had I noticed that it was you and asked you!

I see what you mean, though.That he had said it himself, I wasn't aware of...

PUNARVASU

Post by PUNARVASU »

Thanks, arasi. I know, while reading so many posts, it is easier to remember what was written than who wrote that. Soon after Shir Abdul Kalam's passing away, many of his quotes were being mentioned. I have read them earlier too and as I wrote an ex tempore tribute, those words automatically found their way into it.
No problem. I thought I should clear it.
Thank you.

gardabha_gana

Post by gardabha_gana »

Is there any audio/video of Kalam sir playing the Veena. A great son of India. This is what I had written on my FB page.

India pat yourself on your back - to have a son like Abdul Kalam. And what a send off you gave to a real Bharat Ratna - I think one can use the cliche that the award gave itself an upgrade when it was conferred on Kalam.
What made Kalam so special - I don't think in the truest sense of the term he was the greatest space/nuclear scientist. Names like Homi Bhabha, the father of Indian Atomic Energy comes to mind. Probably Vikram Sarabhai or Satish Dhawan may lay a claim in the Space arena. What set him apart in the technological field was his laser like focus on building the missile systems and delivering it - and taking India into a position of strength when we were really a poor nation. That was however not the reason for the send off India gave him today.
I don't think he was politically the best president either. His president rule imposition in Bihar was thrown out by the supreme court. Probably, KR Narayanan was a better political president.
What set him apart was that he was "one of us", a real "common man" or "aam admi". He had a sense of genuineness in him - in that the common man could identify with him. He threw open the Rashtrapathi Bhavan to the common man. He didn't go around lecturing about world peace or preach secularism. He asked people to dream - to be the best and do things the right way! Religion to him was personal - never wore it on his sleeve. He was multifaceted from quoting scriptures to playing the Veena. I think he embodied the Idea of India better than anyone else in this generation. I have never seen anyone earn the respect and affection in equal measure of common folk in the country across caste, community and regional barriers. Goodbye Dr. Kalam! Hope India lives a fraction of your ideals!

arasi

Post by arasi »

gardabha_gana,

You captured the ratnA of bhArat in his essence--yes, he is an exemplary son of India.