Nadopasana Srinivasan

Remembering musicians of the recent past
satyabalu

Nadopasana Srinivasan

Post by satyabalu »

Alias (chellappa) 81 passed away on 26 th morning .Cremation on 27 th Besantnager at 9.30 PM.9841592326
RIP.

rshankar

Re: Nadopasana Srinivasan

Post by rshankar »

Condolences to his family and friends! May his soul RIP.

arasi

Post by arasi »

I have only met him a few times, and how genial he was! I know that he was respected and liked by many. Another composer who could have lived longer...

As a long time music organizer who endeared himself to musicians and friends, he will be missed...

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

Condolences to all his family members and close associates. RIP
Thanjavooran
27 01 2016

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

Great man who dedicated himself to CM and left an indelible mark. RIP!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A familiar face, not only at Nadopasana concerts; one that I will greatly miss. Condolences to family and friends.

What is the future of Nadopasana? Will others continue with it?

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

What a sad loss?
-------------------
A truly great man who strived and pleased all those in chennai and certainly played a role in taking our rasiatvam a notch or two up . I do know him personally after many years of attending concerts at his nadopasana sabha and lot of occasions i have talked with him- the longest time was when he conducted a concert in gokhale sastri hall for a Sreevalsan menon concert where he told bit more about the sabha , his tastes etc.

# He started his sabha in early 70's/late 60's and musicians like Tanjore s kalyanaraman gave concerts in his sabha when many of the sabhas ignored the musical stature of S Kalyanaraman.

# In one of his casual talk while distributing his forthcoming notice He has told me that his favorite musician is MD Ramanathan . I jokingly asked him if your favourite musician is of the caliber of MDR , why you are arranging concerts of these two musicians in the notice(I just jokingly pointed out 2 names in the list) . He told me being a sabha patron you should also suppress your own individual choices and you should also welcome all artists irrespective of your likes/dislikes. Certainly if you read the hindu engagement columns for the last 15 years you would have noticed sreenivasan has given lot of opportunities to a considerable spread of musicians in his nadopasana sabha. To the best of my knowledge he was not partial and really kept a tab of all musicians and tried his best to accommodate them. To that extent he walks his talk and there is no false modesty or dishonesty in his part.

# Unlike say a safe ramabadran who had an eye more on the upcoming talent , his concert was drawn more on the matured lot of musicians . He does not keep his concerts during dec season but atleast kept it up in the non season times. I have witnessed atleast from 2001 to 2012/13 where he kept lot of concerts in his nadopasana banner in PS High School, where he gives a solid 2 and half hours for an evening concert preceded by an upcoming talent .

# He always goes around the hall atleast two or three times and ensures that the sound is kept at the optimum level . Once in a concert when some one asked a higher volume he told that rasika jokingly i am 70 and half deaf and I still can hear- no need of higher volume.

# He brought in lot of out of state domicile artists . I recollect musicians like Dr Sreevalsan Menon (from kerala), pantula rama /manda sudharani (From AP) and MS Sheela (from bangalore) , but for without his initiative we in chennai would have not heard them in the non season time in chennai.

# Many a times he goes to the stage distributes the water bottle , post concert silently folds the banner and goes back home in his two wheeler . He enjoyed what he did and was almost all alone in his nadopasana sabha .Apart from nadopasana you can often spot him in hamsadhwani sabha in adayar ,his home is in indra nagar and also in ragasudha.

# He was also a vageyakkara , I have heard once his song rendered by padma seshadri sisters in ragam bilahari(forgot the krithi now) .Not really tasted much of his compositions to have more impression .

# About 4 months back i went to him in ragasudha and asked him why he is not continuing nadopasana concert series in mylapore ps high school. He told he is more old now and he did not have much support in PS high school and that is why he is conducting in ragasudha hall.

A lovely sabha patron- sad we have lost nadopasana sreenivasan after safe ramabadran- without a permanent hall it takes a lot of motivation to hold concerts and they did it for all of us at chennai . I hope some one takes up the nadopasana sabha - a lovely PS high school with so much parking space - we need a future nadopasana sreenivsan avatar in flesh and blood to keep the mylapore flag flying with more carnatic stripes.

RIP shri nadopasana sreenivasan

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Googled to find an interview of nadopasana sreenivasan in 2005
http://www.sify.com/movies/boxoffice.ph ... d=13158709

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

1. Great public speaker in both English & Tamizh.

2. Would take the time to recognize recently departed luminaries & observe a brief silence "appadi ukkarndha padiye" in their memory

srikant1987

Post by srikant1987 »

Very shocked and saddened to learn this.

Had great enthusiasm as an organizer of music programmes, and palpable, genuine respect for musicians, and used to attend his favourite musicians' concerts anywhere they performed...

satyabalu

Post by satyabalu »

#" He brought in lot of out of state domicile artists . I recollect musicians like Dr Sreevalsan Menon (from kerala), pantula rama /manda sudharani (From AP) and MS Sheela (from bangalore) , but for without his initiative we in chennai would have not heard them in the non season time in chennai."
Recollect what He told of Manda Sudhrani " She will catch an overnight bus from to perform in a concert organised by me "

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Rajesh, many thanks for your own personal conversation recollections and for the link to that excellent interview.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Dear Rajesh,

A great man who rendered selfless service promoting the cause of music.May his soul rest in peace.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Rajesh,
I was offered a sweet at Ragasuda by one of his friends as I entered the hall, and was told it
was his 80th birthday.

Earlier, Neela Ramgopal introduced him to me at the release of the CD of my songs sung by her. He then gave me a book of his compositions. After going through it, I sent it on to the sAhityA treasure house--our Lakshman...

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Sri Nadopasana Srinivasan was one of the most wonderful patrons of CM that I have come across. Very rare to see individuals like this in a world of shallow, publicity-seeking organizers.

I have heard some of the very best music of my life under the Nadopasana banner in the 70s. Several wonderful MDR concerts among them.

He was a well known to my grandfather Sri Kalpathi Ramanathan. Here is a picture of him with MDR and my grandfather (circa 1983). Thanks Ram for the reminder about this picture.

arasi

Post by arasi »

Ramesh,
A rare and precious picture!

varsha

Post by varsha »

Fine soul.
I owe a great deal of what I am as a rasika today , to the likes of him .
Glory be , to Nadopasana , Saraswathy Vaggeyakara Trust , TRS .......

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

Very sad to hear about the passing away of Shri.Nadopasana Srinivasan.
He was also actively involved in the activities of other organisations like
Saraswathy Vaggeyakara Trust and belonged to them also as much as to his
own organisation Nadopasana.

He was very simple and would not mind sparing his time to talk even with
rasikas he might not know personally in the sabha premises. I used to feel
very satisfied after talking one or two things about the concert of the evening
or about the artists.

It is a great loss to the music world.

May his soul rest in peace.

varsha

Post by varsha »

rbharath

Post by rbharath »

Very great loss!
He was such a nice person. Many people even called him "perumal" too. A great man. An efficient organiser. A great composer. A simple man. An inspirational personality

:-( :-( :-(

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Never knew he was married only to Carnatic music till i read the below writeup
http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 163098.ece

arasi

Post by arasi »

Those eyes speak volumes...the same as in the picture Mahavishnu posted of him as a young man--with MDR and Kalpathy Ramanathan in a concert...

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

A great loss!!! Rajesh has covered all the salient virtues of Sri.Srinivasan--He was a very good friend of my father. As an "appendage" I used to tag along with my father for concerts of NADOPASANA .He was always beaming with smile--never "bragged" about how he gave a "lift" to this artiste or that artiste-- a true Karmayogi. Usually such solo ventures(like starting/running Institutions ) the Patron would tend to bemoan or lament how the big institutions are not supportive of younger artistes or smaller institutions like Nadopasana etc etc. Srinivasan would have NONE of that. Always beaming and cheerful I am surprised he died so soon.

May his soul rest in peace.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A concert to facilitate 2016 SK Sanjay had been scheduled, and was held. It was preceded by a tribute to Srinivasan. I took this picture during the concert.

Click for larger size.

Sri Subramaniam told me that Nadopasana will go on, and it it is doing so, with its series of concerts at Ragasudha Hall this month.

maruthidasan

Post by maruthidasan »

May the great soul Nadopasan sri srinivasan rest in peace. he was associated with Perambur sangeetha Sabha, a very simple and humble man of action,
with deep silence for the great soul .
Adiyen
v.Srinivasan secretary Perambur sangeetha sabha

K Nagarajan

Post by K Nagarajan »

A tribute that appeared in the Friday Review.

http://www.thehindu.com/features/friday ... 223350.ece

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Wonderful tribute and write up by Sica President Chakravarthy. Never knew that he was in Guntur. I draw a parallel with that insight that he was like the great trs mama- learning a lot in andhra and doing the best for CM in chennai. I remember in one of the concerts of Dr sreevalsan menon - he told me that I know menon's father as he worked with his brother in some food corporation or some office in cochin. I did not know that he remained single till the earlier writeup that I read and posted in the hindu. Surely a great endarO mahanubhAvulu....

arasi

Post by arasi »

The more I read about him, the more I admire him--my encounters with him were brief, though meaningful.

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

I agree with Arasi!! I have met him several times with my late father but never took the time to cultivate him -- as forumites know I am no wall-flower in the company of prominent persons--had I had an inkling of his background or mustered the curiosity to "engage" him outside of the Carnatic Music World,I wonder how much richer I would have been!! I never knew the "background"!! Now the LOSS is entirely mine!!!
With Ramabhadran (SAFE) and Srinivasan gone how many of their ilk are there in the extended suburbs of Chennai who may have started fledgeling institutions that need to be recognized and encouraged!!