D.S.Ayyelu is no more

Remembering musicians of the recent past
RaviSri

D.S.Ayyelu is no more

Post by RaviSri »

D..Ayyelu, the ace Bharatnatyam costume designer for over 40 years passed way on 22nd. He had his shop on Bharatidasan Road, Alwarpet. He had designed and made costumes for several generations of dancers including Kamala, Vyjayantimala, and several others. His contribution to Bharatanatyam and other Indian dances is no less than the practitioners of that art. But I can't see any tribute to him in the newspapers from any dancer. Just an obituary notice two days after he died in "The Hindu". Is this the way we treat someone who contributed a lot to art for more than 40 years. I think this kind of thing happens only in this country. Probably a mere 'tailor' does not deserve a tribute.

rshankar

Re: D.S.Ayyelu is no more

Post by rshankar »

May his soul RIP and may his tribe increase!

thanjavooran

Post by thanjavooran »

A very sad news.
RIP
Thanjavooran
25 10 2017

arasi

Post by arasi »

Condolences to the family and to those who worked for him.
A long career in making dance costumes. A leader in the trade. Has he been interviewed at all? Any write ups about him? Yes, he made costumes for vazhuvoor's disciples, starting from Kamala.
I am sure there were many other schools of dancers who got their costumes made by him too, since he established himself as an expert dressmaker for dancers.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

There are so many dance schools around the world that were supplied with costumes by him....

Thalaivarda

Post by Thalaivarda »

uday_shankar

Post by uday_shankar »

RaviSri wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 18:35His contribution to Bharatanatyam and other Indian dances is no less than the practitioners of that art.
No doubt. I learned about him here (so glad for it) and I celebrate his life here and mourn his death here. Many thanks Ravisri for sharing. And many thanks to Thalaivarda for the lovely link above. So glad someone made a little documentary.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

RaviSri wrote: 24 Oct 2017, 18:35 But I can't see any tribute to him in the newspapers from any dancer. Just an obituary notice two days after he died in "The Hindu". Is this the way we treat someone who contributed a lot to art for more than 40 years. I think this kind of thing happens only in this country. Probably a mere 'tailor' does not deserve a tribute.
Ravisri
YOu should give some time atleast till the friday review . Writeup on Ayyelu that was published in The Hindu dated Oct 26.2017
http://www.thehindu.com/entertainment/d ... 924816.ece

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Ravi Sri: As usual you are 100% right.He was quiet unassuming man despite the contact with celebrities.As ARASI says he stitched for. all Vazhuvur Ramiah Pillai students(my daughter was one among them!!.
His shop in Bharathi Dasani Road was a small outfit--he refused to expand or relocate despite overwhelming demand.The shop within itself had an upper story and one had to literally crawl.He never talked much or bragged about his client roster nor did he try to cash in on the associations. He never would outright refuse to take orders from customers-as a result he could not keep up with the delivery schedules but the beauty of it was that the clients took that into account and placed their orders way in advance--as much as an year!!!.
Ofcourse for his prestigious clients like Kamala,Vyjayanthimala et al he would accommodate short notice requests!!

He truly epitomized the adage that "They also serve who stand and wait".

As our family has had contacts with him--as recently as in June of this year he had stitched costumes for my Grand Daughter's Arangetram)--I asked my wife what in her opinion are the outstanding qualities in Aiyelu that she found over the years .
He had the highest professional integrity(in Tamil Thozhil Dharmam). He spoke few words but was always polite and civil. Inasmuchas stitching dance costumes involved taking measurements etc there was NEVER a "whiff" of a scandal that could be attributed to him. In many cases he would simply visually size up the dancer with minimum alterations required. That was the hallmark of craftsmanship .Lately however it appears he had delegated most of his work to his son. who now has a tough task ahead of him!

I understand the he was awarded PADMA SHRI(Ravi Sri correct me if I am wrong!!

May his soul rest in peace!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Ramasubramanian M.K wrote: 30 Oct 2017, 18:14
I understand the he was awarded PADMA SHRI(Ravi Sri correct me if I am wrong!!

MKR Sir,
I just googled to find out as I was too surprised . IN year 2005 Aiyyelu has got sangeet natak academy award , may be your mind crossed with padmashri and sangeetnatak academy award . Here is the link (when you scroll you see a small write up where he gets the award from APJ Abdulkalam)
http://www.narthaki.com/info/flash.html

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

One more writeup on Aiyyelu - he signs the below writeup by saying - Deadlines are for work. Not life
http://indiatoday.intoday.in/story/cele ... 20938.html

Ramasubramanian M.K

Post by Ramasubramanian M.K »

Thanks RAJESH for straightening me out!!