Book: Carnatic Summer

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Has anyone here read the book 'Carnatic Summer' by V. Sriram?
http://www.boloji.com/bookreviews/055.htm

Seems very interesting.

Also, were there any good books at the season this year?
Last edited by jayaram on 02 Jan 2007, 04:28, edited 1 time in total.

vijay

Post by vijay »

We had a discussion on it at sangeetham.com when it was released (in the 2004 season I think). It is a good read for anyone intersted in CM history - what I liked about it is the fact that although there is a fair dose of vambu/gossip, the tone is sympathetic rather than offensive.

TMK and Jayashree have brought out a "coffee table" book on a similar theme - was released on Christmas Day. From the descriptions, I suspect that it will not come cheap but will pick up a copy sometime soon.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

What's the title of the TMK/Jayashree book?

Perhaps some of the members from this forum can embark on a project to bring out a CM-related book. Something to aim for in 2007?

Btw, what's happened to sangeetham?
Last edited by jayaram on 02 Jan 2007, 21:52, edited 1 time in total.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Details of the TMK/Bombay Jayashri book "Voices within" can be found here:

http://www.hindu.com/ms/2006/12/01/stor ... 080100.htm

Also found this more recently:

http://www.outlookindia.com/full.asp?fo ... ions&sid=1
Last edited by mahavishnu on 03 Jan 2007, 01:26, edited 1 time in total.

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Thanks, MV. If anyone here has read the book, would be interested in hearing your views.

I wasn't able to access the 2nd article though. Seems we need a login access to the site.

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

More details of the book seem to be emerging now since its official release. An excerpt was posted earlier in the thread about Ariyakkudi in vidwans/vidushis ...

Atleast we know the list of great musicians featured now.
Ariyakudi Ramanuja Iyengar, the margadarshi. For introducing the modern day kutcheri format and forever changing it.

T.N. Rajarathnam Pillai, the one and only Nagaswara Chakravarthi, The Last Emperor. For fighting to give his instrument its rightful place and whose influence went way beyond his instrument.

Semmangudi Srinivasa Iyer, The Grand Old Man of Carnatic music, with the longest presence on stage. For influencing not only the music, but also its organisation and administration.

G.N. Balasubramaniam, the revolutionary. For a style and bani that opened unknown vistas and generated a new kind of audience fervour.

Palghat Mani Iyer, the first and last word in South Indian percussion, timekeeper to the entire system.

M.S. Subbulakshmi, The First Lady. For giving Carnatic music a place not only in the national fabric but also in the international arena.

T.R. Mahalingam, maverick, genius. For going where few before him had dared to tread. And for unequivocally giving a completely new dimension to a piece of bamboo called the flute.
http://www.hindu.com/mag/2007/01/14/sto ... 010100.htm

Has anyone had a chance to read this book? Any reviews/impressions?

vijay

Post by vijay »

About 2000 bucks - definitely beyond my reach....

mahavishnu

Post by mahavishnu »

Vijay, you are right. that is a ridiculous price.
I wonder how many they are actually going to sell.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Apart from price being excessively high, I would have preferred them to add another 5 artists , more in lines with a lovely souvenir that academy or ngs came few years back listing all time 12 greats.

The missing artists are maharAjapuram santhanam, DKP, MLV, MMI and chembai .

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I had planned to seek it out, having read about in today's Hindu.

But now I see the price, I'll forget it.

Why, I wonder? Printed on hand-made paper with heaps of photos? They expect to sell only three copies? Or what?

vijay

Post by vijay »

To be fair to them, they have apparently gone in for some really high quality publishing - besides, this is supposed to be a "coffee table" book - these are usually hard bound books with very good pictures and generally sell in that kind of price range...in any case, I am sure there are enough affluect CM buffs around so we need worry about the sales!

jayaram

Post by jayaram »

Maybe they are expecting NRIs to part with their dollars/pounds. I bet this book will make its appearance at Cleveland in April.
Btw, there seems to be quite some overlap between this book and the earlier one by Sriram.
Last edited by jayaram on 15 Jan 2007, 03:59, edited 1 time in total.

bala2020

Post by bala2020 »

Where can i find Lyrics of Tanjaoor Shankar Iyer? I am looking for Madhuram Madhuram Sri Rama Namam.

Srividyaram

Post by Srividyaram »

Sanjay Subramanyam in his podcast had interviewed V. Sriram. The interview is an interesting listen to know what went into the making and some nice and funny snippets. The podcast is available at Sanjay's blog spot.