Concert by young children at "Voices Within" Book Release Fu

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
ram

Post by ram »

I am not posting the details of the entire book release program here as I am not sure if this is the right place to post it. In case you are interested, you can read the same from http://ramsabode.wordpress.com/2007/01/ ... n-chennai/

I am posting details of the delightful concert presented by young children as a part of this function below:

The program started with a group of children aged between 8 to 13 (?) years, presenting gems sung/played by the masters with T.M. Krishna and Bombay Jayashri taking turns to introduce the masters before the song associated with them began. The “concertâ€
Last edited by ram on 20 Jan 2007, 00:27, edited 1 time in total.

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

WOW! What a fantastic effort. Do you know who co-ordinated the efforts of these kids? Did they sing singly, or were these songs rendered as a chorus, with the AlApanas done by a few?

ram

Post by ram »

They rendered the songs in a group. Sometimes they would all sing together while at others they would divide themselves into small groups and sing parts together. All of this was very well executed. The alapanas were done individually. The short but brilliant todi alapana was executed in two parts by two of the children.

I don't know who co-ordinated the efforts of these kids but whoever did it has done a very good job especially considering that they all learn under different gurus. The idea itself is so good in itself. The children themselves being talented would have helped a lot.

I probably wouldn't have enjoyed the function that much had it not been for the performance by these children. I am so happy that I chose to attend this function over the other concerts that were happening.

gravikiran

Post by gravikiran »

the mridangam player is praveen kumar - a disciple of sri guruvayur dorai and the grandson of the mridangam vidwan late sri tanjavur upendran sir.
he has played for me also and i must definitely say he has a great future ahead of him.
i am sure that sri dorai sir would mould him to be a great pakkavadyam artist.

gnanasunyam

Post by gnanasunyam »

This year, Cleveland ArAdhana is also planning a group concert by 30 youngsters. They have invited applications and these young ones are being trained by several seasoned artists. The concert is expected to happen in the afternoon of Day 1 of the celebrations.

It looks like this is the new trend now in CM. Would be interesting to see it in the USA.

kamavardhani

Post by kamavardhani »

The most noteworthy and wonderful thing about the kids listed is the names of their gurus - Sowmya, Ravikiran, Rajkumar Bharati - three of the best names in the CM circuit. All these kids performed wonderfully in the Ragam Sangeetham show on Raj TV anchored by Sowmya. Plus Subhashri & Anahita have won prizes this year at most of the major sabhas' annual competitions. God bless all these kids...

rshankar

Post by rshankar »

Now we know who trained these kids:
http://www.hindu.com/fr/2007/01/26/stor ... 090700.htm

jnaanasoonyam

Post by jnaanasoonyam »

rshankar wrote:Now we know who trained these kids:...
...for this particular programme! It would have been in the fitness of things if the respective gurus were acknowledged.