GANAMRUTHA BODHINI - JATISWARAMS??

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
HarishankarK

GANAMRUTHA BODHINI - JATISWARAMS??

Post by HarishankarK »

Hi all,
Any version of the 1st music lessons book - Ganamrutha Bodhini- Does it have Jatiswaram also?
I have a Ganamrutha Bodhini which has Varisais, then Tala Alankaras, then Geetams, then Nottuswarams and finally Swarjatis. NO JATISWARAMS.

The next level i understand is Ganamrutha Varnamalika which starts with Varnams and has no JATISWARAMS either.

Can anyone please advice whether there is any version of Ganamrutha publication between Bodhini and Varnamalika which contains JATISWARAMS.Because my teacher said so but i was unable to find JaTISWARAMS in either of the 2 books.

Else is there any other book on JATISWWARAMS itself.

Pl advice

thanks
Harish

kmrasika

Re: GANAMRUTHA BODHINI - JATISWARAMS??

Post by kmrasika »

I don't recall the gānāmṛta bōdhinī series containing jatisvara-s, however, Dr P. Sambamoorthy's series, "A Practical Course in Karnatic Music," probably carries maybe 1-2 items of this genre(remember the ST tōḍi piece was in it). If you are interested, the following dance publications do carry a number of jatisvaram-s in them:-
  1. The Dance Compositions of the Tanjore Quartette ed. by KP Kittappa & KP Sivanandam, published by Tharmapushanam S. Rathinaswamy Chettiar Endowment
  2. madura mārgam: Dance Compositions of Padma Sri Madurai N. Krishnan, notations by S. Rajeswari, published by Shree Bharatalaya

HarishankarK

Re: GANAMRUTHA BODHINI - JATISWARAMS??

Post by HarishankarK »

Thank you kmrasika. Mainly i wanted to know whether in GB there are any jatiswarams. You have answered my question.
I will ask my teacher to give me print outs of the notation of the jatiswarams she intends to teach me.

Also i realised just now that my teacher comes from Kerala so probably there are jatiswarams included in the book they follow for beginner's lessons.
But she was quite certain when she said that between GB and GV there is one book which has jatiswarams.
Anyways i thank you for your response.