Book on learning carnatic music the fun way

Books on Carnatic Music and those for / by / on musicians.
nivedita

Post by nivedita »

For many students, learning Carnatic music has always been associated with monotony and tiring, mundane lessons. Popular musician and researcher, K.N.Shashikiran, has come out with a book 'Carnatic Fun task tic – Learning Carnatic Music is Fun!' to break this longstanding myth.

The book begins with an introduction to music, in general, and carnatic music, in particular. It explains how the teaching process has changed over time and how teachers must adopt different techniques, based on the student's aptitude and capabilities. Basic concepts like Naada, Pitch, Shruti, Swara, Raga, Tala, Laya, Kalapramana and the 12 and 16-notes concepts are also dealt with.

The book contains all the varisais that are traditionally taught, with lucid explanations, practice exercises, practice planners and worksheets. Using the varisais as the foundation, the author teaches the readers to innovate and create their own varisais and to make modifications in the existing varisais, in order to attain mastery over the basics. He introduces several new concepts like singing the varisais in 5 and 6-note ragas, and in different talas and nadais. The author stresses the need to develop Carnatic music as a skill, instead of merely learning to recite exercises.

Shashikiran is an expert in Voice Culture. Through his research, he has designed several Voice Culture exercises, each for improving a specific aspect of the voice, like range, fluency, pitch perfection and pronunciation. He has given them fancy names ('Monkey exercise', 'Non-ego exercise', 'Pendulum exercise', etc.), to enliven the learning process. The book contains these exercises, divided into several sections, to enable the learner to sing the traditional varisais with better fluency.

In addition, there is a separate section titled 'Voice Culture and Singing Techniques', which explains voice production, the different types of voices, the correct posture for breathing and singing, determination of the ideal pitch, voice modulation, diction and ornamentation.

The author also answers an exhaustive list of Frequently Asked Questions, including how and when to practice, singing as a duo, choosing the right guru, learning over the Internet and giving performances. He also explains the ten most common problems of singers.

Published by College of World Music, Australia and priced at Rs. 380 in India and at $20 outside India, the book is a must-buy for all beginners, advanced level students, performers and teachers of carnatic music. A CD with five hours of music lessons comes free with the book. For copies and more details, contact Srishti's Carnatica Pvt. Ltd. at 42124130.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Rs. 380 converts to around $9.50.

So I hope your $20 includes shipping. At least.

snrajan

Post by snrajan »

i am very much interested in vocal carnatic music, i have 4 books for beginners and advanced, I am not able to go beyond, Sa Re, Ga, Ma, Pa, Dha, Ni, Sa Arohanam and Avaroham. I only sing these two lines every morning for some time. I do not know how i am singing but still try to, my wife encourages me, but even though i am intrstd but i am not able to go further because there is nobody to guide. I am over 50 years but want to learn carnatic music, it is in our blood. can anybody guide me.

rangahome

Post by rangahome »

snrajan: you can try the the carnatic lessons - CDs. There are many such CDs - I know of the ones by Smt.Vedavalli and S.Rajeswari. They take you through the basic lessons until upto varnams and kritis.
Last edited by rangahome on 12 Jan 2008, 23:37, edited 1 time in total.

snrajan

Post by snrajan »

Thanks rangahome, I was recently in Chennai and have purchased one beg. CD will try as you suggest.

jaisree

Post by jaisree »

Shashikiran's book was released officially yesterday. It is available for online orders at:

http://carnatica.net/shopping/product_i ... ucts_id=56

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Or here: http://carnatica.net/shopping/product_i ... ucts_id=56

at Rs.800.

What happened to the Rs380?

Of course, if that was a mistake, then Rs800/$20 is a fair exchange which does not merit my remark above.