Concert Schedules in Chennai - That never get reported on that day in The Hindu

Concerts and other events related to CM.
rajeshnat

Concert Schedules in Chennai - That never get reported on that day in The Hindu

Post by rajeshnat »

While most of us take THe hindu engagement as the basis of schedule and go to concerts in chennai. Certainly Kannan's diary acts as a great information . But some sabhas donot advertise in any medium the schedule . At times few artists dole out money and put up an ad in the hindu, but they are few .

Some times the sabhas put at the beginning the schedule in page 4 the entire series, but it is just too cumbersome to remember. Some never put it and there are commercial reasons for the same - at times it just gets mentioned in mambalam times , velachery times etc but information does not reach rasikas on time . Some like nanganallur sabhas put in the blackboard , once when I went 7 years back to sangeetha swaminathan and told the sabha as to why he is not advertising.The sabha patron assumed that I walk in nanganallur and he told you can see the vinyl poster or sabha blackboard . The same happens with rathna gireeshwarar temple concerts in besant nagar.

I am opening this topic for those to post the sabha schedules - those WHO DO FOLLOW UP WITH a 4 liner engagement notice on that day IN THE HINDU need not post the schedule . This thread is only for those who are not following up in The Hindu on a daily basis.

For a start I am especially looking for chromepet, tambaram and Pammal. Also that OMR -rasikapriya ,ambattur and korattur if u have it post it.I put up pozhichalur because I came to know.Those who know please post the sabha schedules . For heavens sake dont ask us to join Facebook. DONOT Clutter this thread with schedules which gets reported in The Hindu.

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Schedules in Chennai - That never get reported on that day in The Hindu

Post by rajeshnat »

Chromepet Cultural Academy in Radha Nagar, Chromepet
---------------------------------------------------------------------
Jan 03rd - Tues 7pm - Sankaran Namboothiri
Jan 04th - Wed 7pm - Abhilash Giri prasad
Jan 05th - Thurs 7pm - Nandini Lalitha - violin duo
I got a small notice on 02nd jan 2017 when I attended a flute concert on 02nd, it just said the above names and party.

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Schedules in Chennai - That never get reported on that day in The Hindu

Post by rajeshnat »

It is always difficult to get the mahasivarathiri concert schedule as they donot advertise. I am posting the names of the main artist which i got it , I donot have the accompanists name . Schedule is put as 06:45 pm start . Best wishes to all mahanubhavulu vidwans and vidushis
Rasikas - If you have a chance please go to besant nagar. This temple has intense muse.

Maha Sivarathiri 2017 sangeethOtsavam at rathangirieeswarar temple in Besant Nagar, Chennai
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Wed, Feb 08th,2017 - Trichur Charumathi Ramachandran (Is that wife , husband or both,, By any chance will they have a toss before the start)
Thurs, Feb 09th,2017 - Kum. Aaarti Ananth Krishnan
Fri, Feb 10th,2017 - Chinmaya sisters -uma and radhika
Sat ,Feb 11th,2017 - S Sowmya
Sun ,Feb 12th,2017 - Gayathri Venkataraghavan

Mon, Feb 13th,2017 - Seetha Rajan
Tues, Feb 14th,2017 - Sankari Krishnan
Wed, Feb 15th,2017 - Akkarai Sisters
Thurs, Feb 16th,2017 - R Suryaprakash
Fri , Feb 17th,2017 - Ramakrishnan Murthy
Sat , Feb 18th,2017 - V Shankaranarayanan
Sun , Feb 19th,2017 - Carnatica Brothers

Mon, Feb 20th,2017 - Gayathri Girish
Tues, Feb 21st,2017 - Dr Lokanadha Sharma
Wed, Feb 22nd,2017 - TM Krishna

Fri, Feb 24th,2017- Kodilingam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

For many years I did not know that there is a Venugopalaswami temple also in gopalapuram , chennai . I was only thinking venugopalaswami is only in malleswaram, bengaluru as i had heard one recording. There are some concerts that were held a week back or so in gopalapuram and I am not sureif there are more concerts lined up in gopalapuram temple .I was completely not aware of this venugopalaswami concert in chennai and they in the past decade and half have never been reported in The Hindu. Those who know the schedule of these venues before hand please share it in this thread . Venues like rathanagireeshwarar temple , besant nagar , pozhichalur , gopalapuram -Venugopalaswami, few temples in nanganallur do not post in the Hindu at all - music is of quite a high quality, but we just donot know the schedule at all . Now with navarathri on the way those who know concert schedules in chennai that are not going to come up in the hindu please do post in this thread .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

The navarathri festival is on sringeri temple in T Nagar. I attended a concert yesterday.
09/29 - bharathi ramasubban & party
09/30 - maharajapuram srinivasan & party
10/01 - vijayalakshmy subramaniam & party

The above concerts starts at 06:30 PM. The vinyl boards they are posting not as one big board. I was assuming they have also cut but it is still on as before .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

I do know there is a new sabha and hall come up this year . It is APL School in Thoraipakkam run by real estate Ramaniyam (a real great place I should say for the IT crowd who have very poor accesss that too on a week day to reach Mylapore or T Nagar is almost impossible). I came to know of few concerts happening here . May I know the schedule of this season concerts here please.

csat7hills

Post by csat7hills »

Here is a website that has detailed concert schedules by sabha, venue & artiste. You may even subscribe free to get a daily listing via email.

http://www.nama.co.in and click on Event Gallery or

visit http://chennaievent.com

Aishwarya_Shankar

Post by Aishwarya_Shankar »

Dear All,
Sunaadalahari, Musical Wing of Indira Ranganathan Trust proudly present Carnatic Vocal Concert on 31-12-17.

Sunday, 31-Dec-2017
Agenda:
6:10 p.m. : Prayer by Mayuri Srivats
6:15 p.m. : Speech by
Chief Guest
Shri V V Sundaram
Shri Vedanthan Ramanujam
6:30 p.m.:
Vocal: Kum. Shankari Ramasubramanyan
Violin: Kum. Arushi Ramesh
Mridangam: Shri. Thirucherai R Kaushik

All are Welcome :-)

Venue:
Indira Ranganathan Trust
52, C P Ramaswamy Road
Abhiramapuram, Chennai.

Landmark: Next to Nilgiris, Opp. to CITI Bank, FOCUS Optics

Nearest Bus Stop: 5 min walkable distance from Kauvery Hospital, Alwarpet Bridge (Eldams Road).

Regards
Aishwarya Shankar

humdinger

Post by humdinger »

rajeshnat wrote: 27 Dec 2017, 09:19 I do know there is a new sabha and hall come up this year . It is APL School in Thoraipakkam run by real estate Ramaniyam (a real great place I should say for the IT crowd who have very poor accesss that too on a week day to reach Mylapore or T Nagar is almost impossible). I came to know of few concerts happening here . May I know the schedule of this season concerts here please.
http://lasya.in/calendar-ticket-info/

Sivaramakrishnan

Post by Sivaramakrishnan »

Well explained, rajeshnat!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Rathnagireeshwarar Temple - Annual concert series on Jan-Feb 2018 . Held in Besant Nagar.English invitation follows Tamil invitation.
http://www.rathnagiriswarar.org/noticeb ... sivaratri1

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

On April 25,2018, today I saw some thing spectacular in The Hindu

There is a sabha by name North Madras Fine Arts Academy. They have put in the engagement column their concert of TMK-Hemalatha-Kallidakurichi sivakumar-Gurupraasad .This concert is going to be held in a school by Name Sayee Vidyalalaya in a place by name Kodungaiyur. Kodungaiyur is far more north than perambur and this place is closer to madhavaram and manali. While I used to feel cities like bangalore are having more spread of sabhas with more new generation sabhas, chennai is way too hanging with its 100 year glory that too with excess spread in mambalam and mylapore. Also non season spread is just restricted mainly to Ragasudha and Arkay

Kudos to North Madras Fine Arts Academy and i hope they continue to get bigger and bigger. We need more next gen sabhas. It would be nice they hold concerts in non season times , i am not sure if more concerts are planned .Reviews of concerts being held can be put in the kutcheri thread (not here).

Check this location of this kodungaiyur sabha.

https://www.google.co.in/maps/place/Sri ... 80.2462918

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Thanks. Saw the ad and wondered.

Too far for me to drive!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

In yesterday june 04 paper , I saw the writeup in The Hindu that said
Bharatiya Vidya Bhavan , Mylapore is having a series titled "Carnatic Legends Music Series" and here is the schedule of all the legends , each concert starts at 06:30 PM .
June 05, Tues- A Kanyakumari (violin)
June 06 ,Wed- Trichur Ramachandran
June 07 ,Thurs- Bombay Sisters

June 11 ,Mon- TV gopalakrishnan
June 12, Tue - TN Seshagopalan
June 13, Wed - AKC Natarajan(clarionet)
June 14, Thurs - Vikku vinayakaram (chatur ghatam)
June 15, Fri - TV Shankaranarayanan

It is so nice for BVB to honor these greats . Also personally there is a small change which is significant. There is more concert spread that is happening over the month of May and June and for me in the last month May itself I have attended about 8 in madras . That is wonderful chennai is getting back its madras glory.How to reach at 06 30 in mylapore on a week day after work with traffic, chennai has permanently lost its madras glory.
Great job BVB team, I can say for sure many of these veterans can sing/play far more than 08:30 PM IST.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Excellent series.

rajeshnat

Re: Concert Schedules in Chennai and America - That never get reported on that day in The Hindu

Post by rajeshnat »

Yesterday only I knew about this lovely site called carnaticamerica.com which enlists all the carnatic concerts in USA/Canada. It is also enlisting Fall 2018 concerts. I wish I knew this site during the last four years when I was there for few months in USA

Most impressive is apart from listing with links different US schedules , there is also a filter with cities.

Keep up your great job, Prahlad Suresh who is an avid rasika of carnatic music. Prahlad Suresh if you are in the forum say Hi

http://www.carnaticamerica.com

Americans and NRIs,
Communicate with information , a guy from chennai has to say all this.

pscompanies

Post by pscompanies »

Hello! I just saw this post. Glad to know that you like the website! :D

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

Such organizers are requested to contact the website owners whose links are there in the global announcement of the Music season schedule. Much of the info in those sites comes from crowdsourcing. It won't cost them anything.

We are thinking of compiling at these crowdsourced links into one post that we can use year after year for schedules.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mahasivarathri Programs of Rathnagirieeswarar temple for Feb 2019
----------------------------------------------------------------
Venue - Besant Nagar , Chennai
Concerts start by 06:30 pm. Million apologies for not knowing or typing accompanist names. Best wishes to the artists , quite a lot of names are new to me.

16th Feb , Sat - Dr Narmadha (violin)
17th Feb , Sun - Pradosham Day - no concert

18th Feb , Mon - Archana and Aarthi
19th Feb, Tues - R Suryaprakash
20th Feb , Wed - Hema Subramanyan
21st Feb, Thurs - ShankarNarayanan

22nd Feb , Fri - Prithvi Harish
23rd Feb, Sat - Balabrundam Smt Swathi Krishnamurthy
24th Feb, Sun - Dr N Venkataraman (Guitar)

25th Feb , Mon - Balabrundam Jyothsna Vivek
26th Feb , Tues - Kalakkad Brothers
27th Feb, Wed - Balabrundam Smt Kavitha Devarajan and Srilatha Ranjith
28th Feb, Thurs - S Sowmya

01st Mar ,Fri - Sankari Krishnan
02nd Mar,Sat - TV Sankaranarayanan
03rd Mar ,Sun - Pradosham Day - no concert

04th Mar , Mon - Thevaram Innisai by Sri M Kotilingam

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Update of Chennai Concerts as of March 17th,2017
--------------------------------------------
On Sunday 15th as per The Hindu , hamsadhwani cancelled Jayanthi kumaresh concert . On that day we had about 4 concerts suryaprakash@Vanimahal, KBMK@Chromepet, TKV Ramanujacharyulu@Annanagar.
Then luckily we had Palghat Ramprasad@vanimahal had his concert on Monday 16th , march.

Today on March 17th , i saw that the actual artist Amrutha Venkatesh was replaced by vidushi Vaishnavi Ramadas. I planned to go today for Amrutha . I just called Vanimahal now and they said from Today Tues, March 17th the vanimahal concert is also cancelled along with the next 2 days of Thamizh isai is also cancelled . This is not hearsay , i personally called Vanimahal.

As per TN govt guideline that came into effect we may not have any concert in chennai till March end. Personally feel sad for all lovely artists. CM Artists are also like hotel and airline industry employees , it is surely a financial setback .Hope from april 2020 every thing turns back to normal. Sincere prayers to all CM artists

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

A news item from today's The Hindu...

Sabhas defer events
In an effort to prevent the spread of COVID-19, a few city sabhas have voluntarily postponed their programmes. In a statement, N. Murali, President, The Music Academy, said: “In view of the coronavirus pandemic raging across the world and India and the extremely fluid situation thereof, The Music Academy, Madras has decided to postpone till further notice all its concerts and programmes originally scheduled for the rest of this month and April. This decision has been taken in the interests of rasikaas and artistes alike and as part of its social responsibility to the community.” Hamsadhwani, whose annual festival of music, dance and drama was on till April second week, has decided to not conduct programmes till April first week. It's secretary R. Sundar said that they will take a call after making an assessment of the situation at that time. "We feel that since a majority of rasikas attending concerts are senior citizens it would be necessary that they not be exposed to the contagious disease. We have to ensure the artistes are also not exposed to any health hazard. The artistes too have appreciated our stance and we are sure these steps can discourage public gatherings." Members said Rasika Ranjani Sabha too had decided to postpone its events till April.
Given the low numbers for Chennai/TN, previously I was not worrying, but I suddenly became scared to attend concerts. Given the age group of the average audience, any chance of catching or introducing Covid-19 should be avoided as it could be tragic to our small music community.

Any comment from our medically-qualified members would be welcome: maybe in a different thread.

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Chennai. certainly has a great drama festivals over the last 6 decades. One famous festival is what is conducted by Karthik FIne Arts where they call it as Kodai Nataka vizha. Please do go and support

The following is the list of plays to be staged during the Kodai Nataka Vizha, to be held at Narada Gana Sabha, from April 22 to May 3, 7 p.m.

April 22: Chinchu Pinchu

April 23: Minmanigal

April 24: Panchavadi

April 25: Edhir Vinai

April 26: Aaranju

April 27: Thathpurushaya

April 28: MamaMaaple 2.0

April 29: Title

April 30: Seethapathi

May 1: Tharai Mel Pirakka Vaithaan

May 2: Kadavule Idhu Nyayama?

May 3: Aval Peyar Sakthi

p.s https://wn24.in/2022/04/22/the-curtain- ... aka-vizha/ writeup of vibrant drama

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

@sureshvv You used to put the naadainbam(ragasudha) ones can you please put it in advance....