Tentative Music Academy Schedule Season 2018

Concerts and other events related to CM.
Nick H

Re: Tentative Music Academy Schedule Season 2018

Post by Nick H »

Suresh, did you get handed all this stuff by a shady character in a multi-storey car park? Was there any advice about following the money?

At this very moment, committee members, junior admin staff, and even cleaners are shaking with fear as they await their turn for inquisition. Let's hope none of them get the comfy chair. But, one way or another, carnage must be on the cards, until the source of this leak is found.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

His voice was kind of deep :D

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

oh, throaty!

harimau

Post by harimau »

Dec 28 Morning slot Manda Sudharani.

kvchellappa

Post by kvchellappa »

Music Academy’s updated concert schedule for December Season 2018. The sub senior slot will be updated later.
https://musicacademymadras.in/conferenc ... certs-2018

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Is sanjay subrahmanyan not singing?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

27th

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

the name isn't there?

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

looks like full list is not officially out

harimau

Post by harimau »

keentolearn wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 21:19 Is sanjay subrahmanyan not singing?
It won't be a major calamity if he doesn't.

Except in the eyes of the sheeple.

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

It might be a serious setback for closet fans who push old ladies out of the way to get a better seat and then provide the excuse of sociology research :D

sureshvv

Post by sureshvv »

keentolearn wrote: 19 Apr 2018, 22:28 the name isn't there?
It is, now! See https://bit.ly/2HMvVQ5

mohan

Post by mohan »

Schedules seem to be out very early this year!

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

@Harimau,

"It won't be a major calamity if he doesn't" - You could say that about all the musicians.
"Except in the eyes of the sheeple."
'sheeple' being those who don't share your taste in music?

@sureshvv
"It might be a serious setback for closet fans who push old ladies out of the way to get a better seat and then provide the excuse of sociology research"
Closet fans? LOL!!

Jyeshtha

Post by Jyeshtha »

Aruna Sayeeram seems the only Senior in terms of age! Most are upcoming youngsters......
Yes, both VS are missing.......no Vijay Shiva or Vijayalakshmi Subramaniam either last few years. Maybe they have to be about 70 years old and move to the morning :)
Surprised to see Suryaprakash name in morning slot

mohan

Post by mohan »

The allocation of artistes to the morning slots are a bit difficult to understand. Apart from the senior Sangeetha Kalanidhi-s there are musicians like Baby Sreeram, Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Balasai (flute), Suryaprakash and OST.

Jyeshtha

Post by Jyeshtha »

Grapevine says AK Palanivel is prime SK candidate.......

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

<the allocation of artistes to the morning slots are a bit difficult to understand. Apart from the senior Sangeetha Kalanidhi-s there are musicians like Baby Sreeram, Neyveli Santhanagopalan, Balasai (flute), Suryaprakash and OST.>

May be all are beyond Sangeetha Kalanidhis.
But i could not see the morning slots program.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

I could see all the schedules.Looks like they retired T V Shankara Narayanan.Vijaya Siva is also not given any chance.OST is still retained- Rasikas good luck.
Mysore Nagaraj and manjunath get chance in the evening after a long break.

hnbhagavan

Post by hnbhagavan »

Grapevine says AK Palanivel is prime SK candidate..

But is he listed to perform?

yeshprabhu

Post by yeshprabhu »

I saw the Music Academy schedule for the Music Season, December 15, 2018 - Jan 1, 2019, at the official Music Academy website, and was disappointed and sad that Sri Prasanna Venkatraman, one of my very few favorite vocalists, was not included. This is unfortunate because he is not only an excellent vocalist, but he is also one of the few vocalists who consistently sing with bhaava, and is capable of touching rasikas' heart. His singing calms the listeners' mind to such an extent that it enables them to experience Ananda, the special, divine, spiritual joy enshrined in the heart of all of us. I have experienced ananda at several of his concerts. Experiencing ananda has become very rare for me lately because the trend among vocalists these days, with very few exceptions, is to sing very fast, to excite the rasikas' mind, and entertain them, and get huge applause in return. I am not saying that musicians should not entertain or excite the rasikas; what I am saying is that, when Carnatic music is capable of giving ananda by calming the mind, why settle for anything less, for mere entertainment? If the Music Academy wished to include Prasanna this year, it could have very easily done so by moving a very senior musician like Sangeetha Kalanidhi Smt Kanyakumari or Smt Sudha Raghunathan to the Super Senior morning slot (9.00 to 11.30). This is just a thought that occured to me. I will be returning to India for this music season also, as I have done the past several years, in November, for six months, and hope to see many of you there.
Yesh Prabhu, Bushkill, Pennsylvania

Sadbhakthi12

Post by Sadbhakthi12 »

yeshprabhu wrote: 11 Sep 2018, 03:01 disappointed and sad that Sri Prasanna Venkatraman, one of my very few favorite vocalists, was not included.
You feel that way about his music. I find it not so great yet and also a lot nasal sound is very disturbing. Recently I tried to listen to one of his radio concerts and could not get past the first 2 minutes.

devan

Post by devan »

OST has been removed from academy list

vichu1947

Post by vichu1947 »

Also

Nagai Sriram's name deleted by MA for 22nd. Originally scheduled to accompany Malladi Bros.

Mannargudi Eswaran's name deleted by MA for 24th. Originally scheduled to accompany Kanyakumari

devan

Post by devan »

Also thiruvarur Vaidyanathan.

rupavathi

Post by rupavathi »

Raja Rao too

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Is the tweet available where Carnatic Musicians are listed out in #Metoo? Am surprised to see people here mentioning the likes of OST/ Mannargudi Easwaran!!

devan

Post by devan »

Ravikiran too

jodha

Post by jodha »

#Metoo effect.
I wish other sabhas also support by saying " We too "😊

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

talalaya wrote: 24 Oct 2018, 17:00 Am surprised to see people here mentioning the likes of OST/ Mannargudi Easwaran!!
Which are the names which would not surprise you and why are names you mentioned surprising you ?

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Ok, I wasn't surprised at all about names like Pappu, TNS, Ravikiran, Sashikiran, Nagai Sriram, Tiruvarur Vaidyanathan, Raja Rao. Not coming to say that they are guilty as thankfully I was not directly affected by them or by their actions and I dont have any personal bad experience from these people, to make it sound authentic, but there has already been too much smoke about allegations against these names from a lot of people from my close quarters.

On the names that did surprise me, like OST & Easwaran,it was only on the grounds that there has always been a "Gentlemanly" image about them in the circles. Not that am passing any opinion about them either, as neither did I experience anything bad from them nor have I heard anything bad about them too. But then, always, there is no smoke without fire.

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

Just to give a brief about my background, keeping my anonymity, I have indeed hosted quite a few musicians in the 2 decades (1985-2005) that I have lived in the US, though am not an organizer of concerts or anything. One of the musicians named in the #MeToo list was once touring the US and we did get to host him for a couple of days, before he was on his way to the next concert. And he did turn out to be extremely warm and host-friendly that time. Maybe he was just starting out in his career that time.

Though luckily we never had any bad experiences hosting any musicians (If demands for taking them around the city, courtesy of not offering to pay for Telephone calls to India are considered excuseable in this context-- Mind you Telephone calls costed a Bomb during the non- internet, non-whatsapp days--- Not that we would have accepted if they paid for the calls, its just a matter of courtesy if you get what am trying to say), we must mention that there were indeed some gems whom we were lucky enough to host like Vellore Ramabhadran, M Chandrasekhar, Flute Ramani, Trivandrum Venkatraman.

The takeaway, atleast from my personal experience is that the behavior of the majority of the Musicians leave an hell lot to be desired and there were indeed few wonderful musicians whom we hosted.

jodha

Post by jodha »

OST alleged to have misbehaved with a female while working in Annamalai University and one famous percussionist confided that ,that is the reason behind his name being not taken up for SK.
Last year I had put up a thread regarding mafia in CM and if you read carefully you will find the kingpin who is one in this group.

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

talalaya wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:21 Just to give a brief about my background, keeping my anonymity, I have indeed hosted quite a few musicians in the 2 decades (1985-2005) that I have lived in the US, though am not an organizer of concerts or anything. One of the musicians named in the #MeToo list was once touring the US and we did get to host him for a couple of days, before he was on his way to the next concert. And he did turn out to be extremely warm and host-friendly that time. Maybe he was just starting out in his career that time.

Though luckily we never had any bad experiences hosting any musicians (If demands for taking them around the city, courtesy of not offering to pay for Telephone calls to India are considered excuseable in this context-- Mind you Telephone calls costed a Bomb during the non- internet, non-whatsapp days--- Not that we would have accepted if they paid for the calls, its just a matter of courtesy if you get what am trying to say), we must mention that there were indeed some gems whom we were lucky enough to host like Vellore Ramabhadran, M Chandrasekhar, Flute Ramani, Trivandrum Venkatraman.

The takeaway, atleast from my personal experience is that the behavior of the majority of the Musicians leave an hell lot to be desired and there were indeed few wonderful musicians whom we hosted.
The problem is that we tend to treat them as gods/superhuman ! They are human beings after all like any of us and some stray .....

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

jodha wrote: 25 Oct 2018, 18:25 ......regarding mafia in CM and if you read carefully you will find the kingpin who is one in this group.
that is an easy guess :lol: :lol: :lol:

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

I guess he was also on the #MeToo list. Or was he not?

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

What about Sabha secretaries / concert organizers / sponsors / Sabha officials - I am sure they too are not above board and they should be resorting to mischief in all plausible ways 🤔

ram1999

Post by ram1999 »

https://www.thenewsminute.com/article/c ... -too-90663

Right royally bashed in FB....
If there is even 1% truth in what is written, it indeed is disturbing.

vichu1947

Post by vichu1947 »

devan

Post by devan »

Next sk confirmed. "JING CHUG". 🎯