December Season 2018-2019 Schedules

Concerts and other events related to CM.
vijay.siddharth

December Season 2018-2019 Schedules

Post by vijay.siddharth »

Hello all!

I have made a calendar for all schedules in the December-January music season in Madras. It is over here, https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/ ... Z2xlLmNvbQ, in google calendar format. As of now, there is only Mudhra and Music Academy schedules over here. As and when more sabhas release schedules, I will add the schedules here.

Looking forward to this season!

Please do make it sticky :)

Nick H

Re: December Season 2018-2019 Schedules

Post by Nick H »

That's great work. Hope you manage to get all those schedules on there :)

vijay.siddharth

Kalarasana's schedule is out:
http://kutcheribuzz.com/images/Season-S ... turals.pdf

Updated in calendar

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 06 Oct 2018, 18:56 Kalarasana's schedule is out:
http://kutcheribuzz.com/images/Season-S ... turals.pdf

Updated in calendar
Kalarasana holding a 4 to 5 concerts in one of the best halls Rani seethai hall near Gemini was a phenomenal success atleast in concert audio quality. This happened for few decades till may be 2014 or 2015. Then Rani seethai hall was not affordable kalarasana moved to Chinmaya Hall in chetpet for the last few years , they had only very few concerts as the commercially they could not match up.

Now like nadopasana , kalarasana also moves to Ragasudha hall. Chennai in december season is still mylapore and mambalam centric. Chetpet and Nungambakkam has lost to mile Oh Pour again.

vijay.siddharth

Kalakshetra's art festival schedule: http://kutcheribuzz.com/images/Season-S ... shetra.pdf

Updated on calendar as well.

vijay.siddharth

A note about the calendar: since there are so many overlapping events, it will look very cluttered when you open the calendar, so please view it in Schedule mode by pressing the 'A' button to ease the clutter. Thanks in advance!

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

I have one "home page" on my phone devoted to calendar. When the season begins, I will have a second, devoted to concerts. Otherwise everything else is swamped

Gayathri rama

Post by Gayathri rama »

some one please post bharat sangeet utsav schedule for OCTOBER 2018. iT IS NOT yet available in google search

keentolearn

Post by keentolearn »

Is Bharat Sangeeth Utsav still happening? The listing, on artist websites, has gone.

What about Margazhi Maha Utsavam? Any news?

hemanth.8

Post by hemanth.8 »

Hello Sir,
Do you have pdf version of the concerts scheduled in Dec 2018 season at Music Academy. The Google calendar link you provided somehow doesn't work when I try to open it.
Also, I want to attend Carnatic concerts from 16th Dec 2018 onwards at Music Academy in Chennai. Do I need to buy tickets online well in advance or will I get the tickets at the counter on the day of the concert? Please let me know.
Many thanks
Hemanth

talalaya

Post by talalaya »

It all depends on the concerts of the artists whom you want to attend. Pristine music of great artists like TN Krishnan, Seetha Narayanan, OST, TVS, Jayanthi Kumaresh etc., are usually in the 9AM slot, which is normally an "All are Welcome" slot, as you wont find lot of takers "Paying" to hear "Quality" Music.

For the ticketed evening concerts like those of Malladi Bros, Lalgudi Siblings etc., you would definitely get tickets on the morning of the day's concert as again you would rarely get a full house for such quality music.

For the rest of the "Showmanship" category of musicians, it can indeed be quite a challenge to get tickets, unless you have an insider helping you out or unless you are prepared to stand in the queue, starting very early in the day.

vichu1947

Post by vichu1947 »

OST's name has been deleted from MA website for
30th Dec, 9 AM slot

https://www.musicacademymadras.in/confe ... certs-2018

#MeToo effect

vichu1947

Post by vichu1947 »

Nagai Sriram's name deleted by MA for 22nd. Originally scheduled to accompany Malladi Bros.

Mannargudi Eswaran's name deleted by MA for 24th. Originally scheduled to accompany Kanyakumari

https://www.musicacademymadras.in/confe ... rts-2018-0

#MeToo effect

hemanth.8

Post by hemanth.8 »

Thanks a lot for the information sir. Do you have concert schedule at other Sabhas like Mylapore Fine Arts, Narada Gana Sabha etc?

Venkat Ramachandran

Post by Venkat Ramachandran »

Any Info on BVB's november and december schedule

sirsub11

Post by sirsub11 »

Sangita Kalanidhi Sanjay Subrahmanyan gives a special all Tamil ticketed concert at the Music Academy on December 8, titled Tamizhum Naanum, a privately sponsored initiative.
Here's a link to a promo video.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=reJ8ZTvVeWk

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

vijay.siddharth wrote: 25 Sep 2018, 21:46 ... I have made a calendar for all schedules in the December-January music season in Madras. It is over here, https://calendar.google.com/calendar/b/ ... Z2xlLmNvbQ, in google calendar format. As of now, there is only Mudhra and Music Academy schedules over here. As and when more sabhas release schedules, I will add the schedules here. ...
Are you going to keep adding the concerts to this calendar? It is a great work if you can do it!

SureshVV used his technical skills to populate a calendar last year. Wonder if he will do it this year?

subhasree

Post by subhasree »

keentolearn wrote: 16 Oct 2018, 15:38 Is Bharat Sangeeth Utsav still happening? The listing, on artist websites, has gone.

What about Margazhi Maha Utsavam? Any news?
MMU - 2018 as usual - Begins on Dec 1 at Hamsadwani, youth hostel Indra nagar

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Mods
Make this thread sticky and push it to the top. Also make the other thread which is last year and remove the sticky tag .

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Thrimoorthi sangeetha sabha Pozhichalur- Dec 2018 season
-------------------------------------------------------------------------
One of the best sabhas that starts the concert at 05:30 pm. Here is the list of artists that was published in engagement yesterday on Nov 23rd in The Hindu

Nov 23rd - Fri- Prema rangarajan
Nov 24th - Sat - Vasudha Ravi
Nov 25th - Sun - Sid Sriram

Nov 26th - Mon - Aishwarya Shankar
Nov 27th - Tue - Shertalai Ranganatha Sharma
Nov 28th - Wed- Salem Gayathri
Nov 29th - Thurs - Maharajapuram ganesh vishwanathan
Nov 30th - Fri -J A Jayanth (Flute)
Dec 01st- Sat - Abilash Giri Prasad
Dec 02nd - Sun - TNS Krishna

Dec 03rd - Mon - Kruthi Bhat, niece of vittal ramamurthy , this young vidushi is from Texas.
Dec 04th - Tue - S Srivatsan - another disciple of AS Murali.
Dec 05th - Wed - A S Ram - I just googled to find that AS Ram is keyboard artist. I may be wrong .
Dec 06th- Thurs - Suryaprakash

This sabha is the best sabha as the concert is for 3 to 3 and half hours with very minimal speech at the end to just announce the next days artist. Chennai musical content centre is neither mylapore nor mambalam, it is actually Pozhichalur

Apologies for not typing the accompanist names from The Hindu .

RasikasModerator2

Post by RasikasModerator2 »

As requested. This thread is being made sticky till the 2018-19 Music season concludes. Great effort to have it all here.

Sachi_R

Post by Sachi_R »

How about this idea.

Rasikas.org creates a new forum folder called Concert schedules.
Each day is a thread. People can update and add events.

So if I want to see what's happening on 23 Dec 2018, I open that thread. I can then search by venue or artiste name.

All in one place. No need to go to Google calendar etc.

The advantage of Google calendar is that it can be synced to your mobile, can pop up reminders, get linked to google maps and Uber etc.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

Another calendar for the December Music Season is here : http://www.chennaidecemberseason.com/p/ ... endar.html - it will give you the map location as well.

The google calendar may be found here : https://goo.gl/QdiX5B - this is being updated in case of scheduling changes as well.

Since this is a complete calendar, request mods to make this link sticky and also put this up in GD where more people can see it.

RasikasModerator2

A sticky thread has been made in General Discussions with all the info in this thread. Kindly share the link on your social media and to your circles who wish to attend.

An exhaustive calendar for the December Music Season for 24 different sabhas is available here in the links below :

http://www.kutcheribuzz.com/schedules-2018 -- This is organized sabha wise.

Another link : http://www.chennaidecemberseason.com/p/ ... -2018.html - Again Venue Wise.

The google calendars shared in this thread have a lot of easy to use facilities, but unfortunately they are not exhaustive of all the venues by a long shot.

It would be very nice if a team could take the trouble to make the calendars more exhaustive or filter them by venue. This is not a small endeavour.

Request rasikas to also watch out for the events list in the Hindu, etc.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

I am making a map of all the venues hosting the December music season (which I hope to expand to a larger scale later). Can someone help and share a list of venues that are not mentioned in the links above (maybe by looking at artist individual schedules)?

Current map : https://goo.gl/maps/AwCmvvE47SE2

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

grsastrigal

Post by grsastrigal »

I don't know whether I missed or already discussed here. Sanjay is singing in Mylapore Fine Arts, this year !!!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

After me just reading the review of GG from CRama , I just found the schedule of Music Education Trust with the concept of compositions and RTP. .Kudos to the organizing team. I have vivid memory of attending Dr Radha Venkatachalam few years back when TRS mama was seated with me along with his daughter that day it was music connoisseurs trust .

Today in an hour Dr Rave is singing and there is 8 more artists lined up. They have moved even to sastri hall from a small eldams road exhibition hall called sri parvathi.

Let Taala Raaga Swaroopan be there for ever

http://www.chennaidecemberseason.com/20 ... -2018.html

RasikasModerator2

Someone shared this link from another thread : http://www.chennaievent.com/index.php

This is by far the best out of all the links. We have added it up on the sticky post in the GD, which will be made into a global annoucement.

SrinathK

Post by SrinathK »

This app and website are amazing.

https://www.musicofmadras.in/

RasikasModerator2

The Global Announcement of December Season 2018-2019 resources for rasikas is now available. The link is shared below

viewtopic.php?f=2&t=32179&p=344827#p344827

Your links have been consolidated into one place. Please don't post anything in the announcement. If you have any links to share, please post them in this thread, and we will add them to the Global announcement if they are significant.

Kindly share the announcement and links on your social media and with anyone interested. There are as many as 50-80 concerts happening per day at the peak of the season, most of which are free for all.

venkateshbilvam

Post by venkateshbilvam »

Hello Rasikas

I introduce myself as Venkatesh Bilvam, brother of Violin Vittal Rangan. Please get some popcorn or murukku as this is a long post.

As a user experience designer, had an interest in making carnatic concert information accessible. Did read through the above posts of various websites and apps to enlist all concerts in one place. (kutcheribuzz, musicofmadras, arangam, chennaievent etc)

The main obstacles that appear are:
  • Inadequate / disparate data across multiple websites / sources
  • Inability to quickly filter and find a concert in a single place
  • Broken or slow user experience (too many clicks to access concert information)
  • Information uploaded by App developers / Sabhas. Maybe slow in updating concerts.
  • Design and readability of information, excess information Eg “92nd Annual Conference and Concerts - 2018”.
  • Margazhi Season focus - concerts not listed all year round
As a prototype, I copied the data from Kutcheribuzz 2018 schedules, cleaned up all Artist names, accompanying artists and merged them to build [url]htttp://www.carnatic.community[/url] (Best viewed on a larger screen)

7 reasons why Carnatic.community when there are similar websites and apps out there?
  • Community power - instead of relying on an App developer / Sabha to regularly update and manage concerts, we rely on artists or Rasikas like you to upload concerts, approved by moderators in the backend.
  • Simplified process - upload concerts using a simple form or google spreadsheet which feeds into the website after approval.
  • Encourage upcoming talent - The younger generations will be the torchbearers of carnatic music. We must do our best to promote and encourage them.
  • Carnatic Specific - For now, the focus is around Carnatic music. I believe if we do one thing, we should do it well. It could later expand.
  • User experience design - A clean and fast user experience to narrow down on a concert by date, venue, organizer or artist.
  • All year round - Hopefully we can list concerts all year round. This will be a huge challenge without information support from Rasikas and Artists.
*We are working on a new set of features for the next version.

Please do give http://carnatic.community a test drive. This was built using data from a google spreadsheet.

I’d love to hear from you Rasikas on how we can expand this project further together. Your support is very much required! I can be reached on carnatic.community@gmail.com and open to constructive feedback.

Thank you!
Venkatesh B

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

Venkatesh Bilvam
You are doing a great job. Just 2 quick feedback.
1. You have sorted within a sabha and then time wise . I prefer you to just sort in ascending order of time please . It is a pain and not useful to look up and down having decided to go say for evening slot.

2. You have put only main artist name . Accompanists names are not shown at all in mobile it shows only in laptop. While many want to just look only at the main artist , but please also ensure the accompanist names are put in mobile . Also for eg if I wanted to just attend say Vittal Rangan the violinist concerts, using my mobile i have no way to find out.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

Having to go out in two minutes, so my very first first impression: Is it possible to make the site open at the current day (and time?).

Keep up the good work!

Oh hang on... It really was a quick look and I didn't see the TODAY button! :oops: :oops: :oops:

venkateshbilvam

@ Rajeshnat

Thank you for your feedback Rajesh.

1. Yes, we could sort in ascending time order.

2. Our original intent was to filter by all artists, however due to a bug it was able to filter only by any one column i.e main artist for now. We are working on a way to make if "Filter all Artist" . The temporary solution for this is to add a universal search bar where you can search anything - All artists, Venues, Organizers

For mobile - it was a conscious decision to not show accompanying artists and organizers because of space constraints. We tried adding all info for the mobile. Considering there are average 55 concerts per day, with 3 items per screen....this would mean 18 'swipes' on a mobile. Hopefully this number will change after Marghzhi, and we should show all information on one card.

venkateshbilvam

@NickH

Thanks Nick. Valid point. The "Today" button is something we've been trying to fix as a default setting when one lands on the page. 'Time' is something we haven't given a thought....but its a good idea!

venkateshbilvam

In the next version, Artist pages and Sabha Pages are being planned, so that one can go directly to their pages to see upcoming concerts.

Nick H

Post by Nick H »

It looks as if it is going to be good. Echoing Rajesh, sorting by time is an absolute must. That is the main advantage (at least for the day) over The Hindu newspaper.

The number one question users will be asking is where to go next... and after that...

It needs that functionality before I'll actually use it. Hoping it comes soon!

rajeshnat

Post by rajeshnat »

venkateshbilvam wrote: 18 Dec 2018, 18:21 For mobile - it was a conscious decision to not show accompanying artists and organizers because of space constraints. We tried adding all info for the mobile. Considering there are average 55 concerts per day, with 3 items per screen....this would mean 18 'swipes' on a mobile. Hopefully this number will change after Marghzhi, and we should show all information on one card.
Fair point . Artists like say Trichy Sankaran I want to hear them atleast once , i have no way to know . You have some space just try if possible only names you dont have to say HN Bhaskar - violin ,Trichy Sankaran - Mrudangam and Guruprasanna- ghatam like just put their names alone that would do.Else if you can add one more box for all accompanists as a filter that would also be great . Even if you disagree with what i said, you should help your brother violinist - Vittal Rangan. Put a filter for accompanist and do a reverse alphabet sort there to help vittal rangan.

In the Hindu engagements in the last few years at times there is too much of visual spam with too much of advance notices it is just getting irritating where today concerts are just put in black and white with way too much of color distraction for a future concert.

You are doing an awesome job already, I applied filter yesterday and prepared in advance few concerts which means a lot for me . Not pushing you at all..Most of the time I take a Saturday SO SO concert without knowing a better concert is coming on Sunday .It is difficult to plan for both days due to family commitments.

venkateshbilvam

@rajeshnat

I don't disagree with you at all. Infact, carnatic.community was launched to be an equal platform for all musicians, no matter what they play, music is music.

Here is what we are doing immediately:
  • Show default date as "today" as you and Nick pointed out. This has been implemented. :)
  • Insert all the accompanying artists in mobile view. Working on this today.
  • Include a "Search Anything" field which can search all artists, venues and organizers.
  • Add a smart "time" detection feature. It shows you relevant concerts depending on the time of the day.
Please do share this on your facebook and whatsapp groups. That would be of great help.

venkateshbilvam

@RasikasModerator2

Can you kindly push the link www.carnatic.community to the global announcement thread. A lot of other people seem to be finding it useful to filter and choose concerts for the season

Thanks!
Venkatesh

RasikasModerator2

@venkateshbilvam Had a look at it. Looks great. Really easy to use. It has been added. :)

But do give me a date filter for advance scheduling.

If all these resource links can work year after year, we can permanently archive them under Internet Resources and use them for yearly schedule announcements.

All rasikas, please share our global announcement link on social media as the season is now at its peak and will stay that way for the next 2 weeks.